Like Tree179608Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th April 2023, 06:43 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Friday the 13th Part 3.

I really really enjoyed rewatching the first two installments in recent weeks. However Part 3 is where things are starting to go downhill for me. Part of the problem is the way the film was clearly marketed for the 3D market, with gimmicks that just don't translate well to 2D. Truth be told I suppose, this was a few weeks ago now and frankly nothing has really stuck, I simply can't remember much about it. Was ok, but not an installment I'll rush back to.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Yeah this is a tough one to watch in 2D but it's hard to watch in 3D too honestly I can't handle the blue and red for long before I start to feel funny. It's a shame because it's always fun to have a big stick poked into your eye or a TV aerial slapped across your face. This for me is more of a film to show people the old school 3D always gets a bit of a laugh but my visits to this one are very far apart.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 10th April 2023, 08:16 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Yeah this is a tough one to watch in 2D but it's hard to watch in 3D too honestly I can't handle the blue and red for long before I start to feel funny. It's a shame because it's always fun to have a big stick poked into your eye or a TV aerial slapped across your face. This for me is more of a film to show people the old school 3D always gets a bit of a laugh but my visits to this one are very far apart.
To be fair to the film I expect at the time the 3D stuff was great. It wasn't the real issue I don't think. It just didn't engage me as the first two installments had, i do wonder if i watched it to close to the others. I'll try and give my thoughts on Part IV later. That stepped things back up a notch or two.
nicholasrope likes this.

Last edited by J Harker; 10th April 2023 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10th April 2023, 08:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ben Hur accidently kills a Roman official and is arrested by a Roman you thought of as a friend and is sent too become a galley slave. We follow Ben Hur on a epic journey from galley slave , too adopted son a Roman senator and his quest for revenge and too find his mother and sister along the way his path crosses with Jesus right up to the crucifixion. Truly epic in scope and direction and something we would not seen made today. The chariot race is fantastic spectacle, but is quite a uncomfortable watch with one of the stuntmen being killed which i think is kept in the film , also supposedly nearly 100 horses were killed. The film won a total of 11 oscars which wasn't equaled until Titanic .

Not seen this since I was a kid . We all know the story , after being knocked out in a tornado Dorothy Gale wakes up in Oz and teams up with the tin man , scarecrow and cowardly lion while seeking away back too Kanas and battling the wicked witch and her flying monkeys .

Is it real or was it all in Dorothy's mind and where her companions all part of her psyche . I was never scared of the flying monkeys as a kid but the munchkins were another matter , which really hasn't changed with Thier creepy high pitch voices and with their drug infested sex orgies only made them more unnerving . It does look fantastic in 4k when we get to Oz with all the bright bold colours .

Now watching .

Last edited by trebor8273; 10th April 2023 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10th April 2023, 10:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Ben Hur accidently kills a Roman official and is arrested by a Roman you thought of as a friend and is sent too become a galley slave. We follow Ben Hur on a epic journey from galley slave , too adopted son a Roman senator and his quest for revenge and too find his mother and sister along the way his path crosses with Jesus right up to the crucifixion. Truly epic in scope and direction and something we would not seen made today. The chariot race is fantastic spectacle, but is quite a uncomfortable watch with one of the stuntmen being killed which i think is kept in the film , also supposedly nearly 100 horses were killed. The film won a total of 11 oscars which wasn't equaled until Titanic .
A myth. This never happened. Same with the horses. None were killed.

What happened was a stuntman was thrown into the air and it should have been fatal but he escaped with a minor facial injury and it was used as part of the race as he scrambled back into the chariot. It is in the film though in long shot and it looks terrific.

They used something like 200 horses during the shoot so they could interchange them regularly so they weren't in the searing heat for long periods.
Old 11th April 2023, 07:34 AM
Cult Acolyte

He was mythtaken.

Old 11th April 2023, 07:36 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
He was mythtaken.

nicholasrope likes this.
Old 11th April 2023, 11:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Pandemic. 2016.

After a plague wipes out most of humanity, some that are infected go through different stages before becoming violent brain dead zombies. We got Alfie Allen, Missi Pyle, Rachel Nichols and Mekhi Phifer doning on Haz-Mat suits and heading to a hot zone to look for survivors. This is a Point Of View film that has some good tense moments, shaky camera work and some daft decisions. Due to a lot of the running about by the infected there is little make-up effects shown and when they are, its not great but not terrible considering this is a low budget. It is one of these type of films that halfway through you know how it will end but still wanting to watch it to see how it will unfold. It's not great but not terrible either.

PandemicPOSTER-337x500.jpg
Old 11th April 2023, 06:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Shattered. 1991.

Tom Berenger survives a disastrous car crash and comes out with severe amnesia and tries to piece his life together with wife Greta Sacchi, business partner Corbin Bernson and his wife Joanne Whalley. This was a nice little 90s thriller that is decently made by Wolfgang Petersen who basically throws us into the film straight after the opening credits with a nice car crash, the recovery process and Berenger finding some photos that sets off the chain of events that leads him to Bob Hoskins. The acting is perfect and nobody over acts anyone and we are given one or two decent twist and turns to keep us entertained.

MV5BMTkwYzAzZDgtMGNkNC00OTFiLWI4ZTEtZmMwNjIzM2Q0OWQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0NTI0Nw@@._V1_.jpg
Old 11th April 2023, 06:44 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Shattered. 1991.

Tom Berenger survives a disastrous car crash and comes out with severe amnesia and tries to piece his life together with wife Greta Sacchi, business partner Corbin Bernson and his wife Joanne Whalley. This was a nice little 90s thriller that is decently made by Wolfgang Petersen who basically throws us into the film straight after the opening credits with a nice car crash, the recovery process and Berenger finding some photos that sets off the chain of events that leads him to Bob Hoskins. The acting is perfect and nobody over acts anyone and we are given one or two decent twist and turns to keep us entertained.

Attachment 245675
Excellent film MrB. Watched this with the missus the other day. First time in nearly 30 years. I wish someone would put a UK blu out.

nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.
Old 11th April 2023, 06:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Excellent film MrB. Watched this with the missus the other day. First time in nearly 30 years. I wish someone would put a UK blu out.

Same here Mr Harker, I had been trying to find it for a while and gave up and managed to stream it earlier and enjoyed it more this time round.
nicholasrope likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!