Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th August 2013 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 358432)
So am I, I presume from the introduction he gave to AFIE on Film 4, he is moving upwards budget wise and in the industry. Just hope he doesn't lose that very British/English quality that makes his films special on the way.

'Bout time Down Terrace was released here on Blu Ray.....strange it's out over the pond....:crazy:

Make Them Die Slowly 12th August 2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 358446)
Have you seen it and is it as crazy as the trailer would have be believe then again with a title like that im sure it is :lol:

It is just like the trailer but gets darker and darker as it goes on. It's a bit too long for it's own good but worth a look if you see it cheap.

Make Them Die Slowly 12th August 2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 358448)
'Bout time Down Terrace was released here on Blu Ray.....strange it's out over the pond....:crazy:

I just had a quick look at what Wheatley is up to, presently has an untitled project with Johnny Vegas linked to it!

Nordicdusk 12th August 2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 358449)
It is just like the trailer but gets darker and darker as it goes on. It's a bit too long for it's own good but worth a look if you see it cheap.

Thanks a million ill keep an eye out. :thumb:

J Harker 12th August 2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 358442)
Yeah, me too, but due a busy week with a wedding, plus wedding rehearsals, speech rehearsals and band rehearsals, I don't have time to watch it until the weekend, far too many rehearsals this week :lol:

Cool beans man.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 13th August 2013 12:22 AM

Ha, Trash Humpers is great.

I'd also recommend Gummo (which is also by Korine).

I still need to check out Springbreakers. Going off MTDS's comments and the trailer, I'll need to stock up on tissues in advance ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 13th August 2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 358429)
I enjoyed it mate,but preferred Kill List myself.:)

Be great to see what he unleashes next!

I think I prefer A Field in England to Kill List, but I really like both films and they are both excellent so the margins are very, very small!

Rik 13th August 2013 08:46 AM

I don't get what the attraction is with A Field in England, definitely the dullest film I've seen in years, despite being well filmed and beautifully shot, I just found it boring and pointless, each to their own I guess

PaulD 13th August 2013 11:19 AM

Finally got round to watching VHS. urgh, what a chore that was. I know we're meant to be all nostalgic about videotapes and degraded footage but sue me for wanting films to have nice cinematography and for directors to take the time in framing up a beautiful shot. I could forgive the aesthetics of the film if the stories were good but they were all overly-long and boring. Why the hell were these incidents on VHS anyway? Some of the people in the films had touchscreen phones so wouldn't they have had HD camcorders shooting digitally? Hell one if them was filmed with special magic camera glasses. And yet they transferred it to VHS?

if you haven't seen it its basically two hours of SHAKY SHAKY SHOUT SHAKY SCREAM YELL SHAKY SHAKY FAKE TRACKING PROBLEMS. EJECT.

Dave Boy 13th August 2013 03:58 PM

Soylent Green (1973)

The Body Snatcher (1945)

The Legend Of Hell House (1973)
Some good chills to be had here. The body shape in the bed is really creepy.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th August 2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 358518)
Finally got round to watching VHS. urgh, what a chore that was. I know we're meant to be all nostalgic about videotapes and degraded footage but sue me for wanting films to have nice cinematography and for directors to take the time in framing up a beautiful shot. I could forgive the aesthetics of the film if the stories were good but they were all overly-long and boring. Why the hell were these incidents on VHS anyway? Some of the people in the films had touchscreen phones so wouldn't they have had HD camcorders shooting digitally? Hell one if them was filmed with special magic camera glasses. And yet they transferred it to VHS?

if you haven't seen it its basically two hours of SHAKY SHAKY SHOUT SHAKY SCREAM YELL SHAKY SHAKY FAKE TRACKING PROBLEMS. EJECT.

Thanks for the review Paul. Thats one film thats coming off my wish list.

Rik 13th August 2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 358599)
Thanks for the review Paul. Thats one film thats coming off my wish list.

I think I'll rent it, I've read mixed reviews and I usually disagree with Paul :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th August 2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 358604)
I think I'll rent it, I've read mixed reviews and I usually disagree with Paul :lol:

its this bit that puts me off " SHAKY SHAKY SHOUT SHAKY SCREAM YELL SHAKY SHAKY".

Rik 13th August 2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 358610)
its this bit that puts me off " SHAKY SHAKY SHOUT SHAKY SCREAM YELL SHAKY SHAKY".

Yeah, that whole cliché is done to death now

Nordicdusk 13th August 2013 04:30 PM

Save your money lads and listen to Paul V/H/S was a major let down even if i could only stomach two and a half stories.

trebor8273 13th August 2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 358613)
Save your money lads and listen to Paul V/H/S was a major let down even if i could only stomach two and a half stories.

I could only manage 20 minutes don't even think I got passed the first story.

Nordicdusk 13th August 2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 358615)
I could only manage 20 minutes don't even think I got passed the first story.

Lucky you :nod:

antmumford 13th August 2013 05:26 PM

Just watched Ladybird Ladybird which was superb. An accurate portrayal of a flawed legal system destroying innocent people's lives and an acting tour de force too

PaulD 13th August 2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 358610)

To be fair only two of the stories were guilty of that but that was enough. I can't stand found footage anyway so this had to do something exta special for me to like it. But yeah, rubbish. Rik'll love it :)

Metallicbomb 13th August 2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 358450)
I just had a quick look at what Wheatley is up to, presently has an untitled project with Johnny Vegas linked to it!

Not an untitled movie
An Ideal movie
never seen the series, as anyone on here seen it.:)

PaulD 13th August 2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metallicbomb (Post 358643)
Not an untitled movie
An Ideal movie
never seen the series, as anyone on here seen it.:)

Never say it when it was on apart from the clip of the wonderful Mark E Smith as Jesus. Wheatley directed 14 of the episodes of the TV show.

trebor8273 13th August 2013 08:41 PM

The church

Very atmospheric, with surreal quality. In place remained me of demons but instead of possession by demons, we have people suffering from hallucinations. A bit slow in the middle but still very interesting and a fantastic last twenty minutes. Can't wait to get the directors other movies, dellamorta dellamore and the sect. 9/10

Is this the only version of the sect available?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/La-Setta-DVD...gy_d_h__text_y

Rik 13th August 2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 358623)
To be fair only two of the stories were guilty of that but that was enough. I can't stand found footage anyway so this had to do something exta special for me to like it. But yeah, rubbish. Rik'll love it :)

I'm sure I will :lol:

Prince_Vajda 13th August 2013 09:34 PM

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975). * * * * out of * * * *

http://cinematicfanatic.files.wordpr...nty-python.jpg

Brilliant actors / humorists, each of them in multiple roles. Hilarious dialogues. Excellent Terry Gilliam animations. There's a lack of oral sex and spanking, though.

A classic. Rating inspired by troggi: 69 / 10.

God: What are you doing now?
King Arthur: Averting our eyes, oh Lord.
God: Well, don't. It's just like those miserable psalms, they're so depressing. Now knock it off!

http://cinematicfanatic.files.wordpr...ler-rabbit.jpg
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...thonhg0450.jpg

Make Them Die Slowly 13th August 2013 10:14 PM

ROGUE RIVER. A deliberate blandness dominates the look and action of this film that slowly unwinds in it's madness at a measured pace. Highly effective and just plan twisted, it plays like a non explicate and drab take on all those hardcore sex and torture films the underground scene was spitting out a few years ago. Highly recommended and a quid from Poundland.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th August 2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 358678)
ROGUE RIVER. A deliberate blandness dominates the look and action of this film that slowly unwinds in it's madness at a measured pace. Highly effective and just plan twisted, it plays like a non explicate and drab take on all those hardcore sex and torture films the underground scene was spitting out a few years ago. Highly recommended and a quid from Poundland.

Don't people know yet. :crazy:

You never ever go into a house when Bill Moseley invites you. Even if he does look like a born again Christian. In fact that should be reason enough.

keirarts 13th August 2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 358661)
The church

Very atmospheric, with surreal quality. In place remained me of demons but instead of possession by demons, we have people suffering from hallucinations. A bit slow in the middle but still very interesting and a fantastic last twenty minutes. Can't wait to get the directors other movies, dellamorta dellamore and the sect. 9/10

Is this the only version of the sect available?
La Setta [DVD] [2002]: Amazon.co.uk: Herbert Lom, Kelly Curtis, Michel Adatte, Tomas Arana, Michele Soavi, Dario Argento: Film & TV

Sadly this is the only version at the minute. The Sect is good but its one of the weakest of Soavi's films. Still worth watching though..

Oh and the IDEAL tv series is great. If noone on here has seen it its well worth checking out. The concept of the director of Kill list doing an IDEAL movie has me sold :nod:

Don't take his mask off - Ideal - BBC - YouTube

troggi 13th August 2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 358671)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975). * * * * out of * * * *

http://cinematicfanatic.files.wordpr...nty-python.jpg

Brilliant actors / humorists, each of them in multiple roles. Hilarious dialogues. Excellent Terry Gilliam animations. There's a lack of oral sex and spanking, though.

A classic. Rating inspired by troggi: 69 / 10.

God: What are you doing now?
King Arthur: Averting our eyes, oh Lord.
God: Well, don't. It's just like those miserable psalms, they're so depressing. Now knock it off!

http://cinematicfanatic.files.wordpr...ler-rabbit.jpg
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...thonhg0450.jpg

I mentioned once that I took a girl on a first date to see "Monty P. & the Holy G." http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/345462-post1.html It was great...er, the film that is... the date was a wash out, we spent too long watching the film and not what teenagers ought to do at the flicks! I love every single frame of that film even though there is a lack of oral sex and spanking (quite a lot of wet samite though :tongue1:) And thank you for using my scoring system, this is one film that deserves a good 69/10!

troggi 13th August 2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 358225)
"Dune Apocalypse" Part 2
http://www.sci-fi-online.com/00_revs...apocalypse.jpg
In this episode Muad'Dib has gone into the desert and his twin offspring are in danger from the once Imperial House Corrino and their Aunt Alia. They escape with the help of their grandmother, Jessica Atreides. We are left with the cliff hanger of Leto Atreides choice to take the "Golden Path".

From what I remember of the book, The Children of Dune", this is a pretty faithful representation. As it was made as a mini-series for TV it looks much "bigger" than it's budget would have allowed for.

17/10 so far!

Part 3 finished it off in a satisfactory fashion. I don't want to take anything away from the beautiful David Lynch vision of Arrakis but I think that the one presented in this and the preceding "Dune" mini-series' is more cogent to the vision of Frank Herbert. It would be fantastic if they completed the trilogy with an attempt at "God-Emperor of Dune". 19/10 for "getting it nearly right!"

troggi 13th August 2013 11:46 PM

"Fallen" (1998)
http://filmaster.com/static/img/obj/...en.240x340.jpg

I saw this some years ago and could remember the basic concept but not whole story. This time around I think that I enjoyed it even more than last time.

16/10 for an original concept well executed (see what I did there? If not watch the film)

nosferatu42 14th August 2013 01:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH]117118[/ATTACH

Finally got my mate to watch this with a few beers last night.
He thought it was great, (he should listen to me more often):nod:
Love this film, it's just totally deranged from start to finish.
Crazy editing, animation, blood and dismemberment, insane music. Absolutely fantastic and and truly unique. Recommended. :):pop2:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th August 2013 07:42 AM

Monty Python and The Holy Grail is the first film I fell in love with and quoted from it regularly at secondary school – once out loud across the library when I thought the teacher was outside (she returned early and was standing behind me!).

To use my own scoring system and even without any spanking or oral sex, it's a 5/5 film and one of the greatest British movies ever made.

keirarts 14th August 2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 358693)
Part 3 finished it off in a satisfactory fashion. I don't want to take anything away from the beautiful David Lynch vision of Arrakis but I think that the one presented in this and the preceding "Dune" mini-series' is more cogent to the vision of Frank Herbert. It would be fantastic if they completed the trilogy with an attempt at "God-Emperor of Dune". 19/10 for "getting it nearly right!"

David Lynches Dune strays wildly away from the source material. That said I think he gave us a much better Baron Vladimir Harkonen.

PaulD 14th August 2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 358691)

Oh and the IDEAL tv series is great. If noone on here has seen it its well worth checking out. The concept of the director of Kill list doing an IDEAL movie has me sold :nod:

Don't take his mask off - Ideal - BBC - YouTube

Wheatley actually directed 14 episodes of the tv show so he should be on familiar territory with it at least.

sjconstable 14th August 2013 11:13 AM

Seconds - 2/5

I'm into films where people have their faces changed, but this one was just rather boring, especially since I've seen things like The Face of Another and Eyes Without a Face which are much more interesting. I wasn't impressed with its lauded cinematography either, and the protagonist was irritating.

Beyond the Black Rainbow - 1.5/5

Some nice visuals and sounds, but at nearly 2 hours it's a chore. It really could do with a load more editing just to make it watchable. The acting and dialogue is pretty bad, and the tonal shift near the end of the film totally doesn't fit. But it's obvious a lot of effort was put into it by an inexperienced director.

The Cemetery Man/Dellamorte Dellamore - 4/5

Lots of fun and I didn't know where it was going to end up. '**** off!' *Bang* :pound: It'd be nice to see Soavi's films come out on Blu-ray, I know there's an Italian BD of this but presumably I won't be able to understand the extras.

Dave Boy 14th August 2013 11:42 AM

A night of B movie thrills...

The Alligator People (1959)

Devil Girl From Mars (1954)

The Astounding She-Monster (1957)

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th August 2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 358744)
A night of B movie thrills...

The Alligator People (1959)

The Astounding She-Monster (1957)

Not seen either of those. I wish you'd write some mini reviews to accompany your lists. :)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th August 2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 358756)
Not seen either of those. I wish you'd write some mini reviews to accompany your lists. :)

Me too!

Rik 14th August 2013 05:26 PM

Just back from seeing Alan Partridge:Alpha Papa-If you're a fan of Alan Partridge, then this is a must see, 30 seconds in and I was laughing, that carried on for the next 90 minutes. It's an absolute hilarious film, filled with plenty of his characteristic one liners and quips, and easily the funniest film I've seen in a long time, highly recommended!

Knowing me Rik Stewart, knowing you Cult Labbers, AHA!!!!

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th August 2013 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Greatest Show on Earth (1952)

I've owned this film for three years and always put off watching it. A bit of madness on my part because its an absolutely terrific film. It tells the tale of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, and stars Charlton Heston, James Stewart, Betty Hutton, Cornel Wilde, Gloria Grahame and Dorothy Lamour.

In addition to the stars the film also features the real B&B / RB circus of the time, with its complement of 1400 people, hundreds of animals, and 60 carloads of equipment and tents. The actors learned their respective circus roles and participated in the acts.

The acts are phenomenal and really exciting to watch especially Wilde and Hutton on the high trapeze. Cecil B. DeMille's direction is flawless and he ensures a two and a half hour film flies by in a script full of drama, passion and excitement.