Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th April 2023, 10:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scream VI (2023, 2 folk directed this?)

End fecking of PLEASE. Comedy of the month.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th April 2023, 07:19 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Scream VI (2023, 2 folk directed this?)

End fecking of PLEASE. Comedy of the month.
If this review is a warning to put people off you have failed now I want to see it even more
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.
Old 27th April 2023, 08:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Oh, don't get me wrong, there's the claret and that. It's just that I'm done with this ... series. Enjoy!!

Paranormal Demons

A group of idiots travel to an abandoned whatever to debunk a video on the dark web. This one had me in stitches. If it's not the lead pronouncing the word as "vee jo" every time, it's the screaming obviousness of the premise. She is driven to make her mark with this project (remind you of anyone called Heather?? ), so she is blind to the danger she is putting them all in. Cliched to the hilt at least no one was winking at the camera every 5 minutes.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th April 2023, 03:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Satan's Baby Doll. 1982.

Another nunexpolitation movie from the Italians, if anyone has seen the film Malabimba with Mariangelo Giordano, here is the remake and she reprises the role of a nun that's seduced by a young girl who is possessed by her deceased mother. Shameless did release this and it's only 75 minutes long. This did have a good setting, good plot, dubbing is a bit over the place which is nothing new. I did do a deep search into the dark side of the internet and found a uncut version which is 10 minutes longer, the cut scenes have been added in and done pretty poorly but doesn't ruin the scenes of the sexual nature. The cinematography is decently done with a good background score and plenty of nudity on the go.

MV5BYWI0MTdkYWYtOTAxMi00OTdiLWEwY2EtZTVjN2JjNzc3ODVjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg
Old 27th April 2023, 05:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Slaughter Of The Innocents. 1993.

A F.B.I agent is on the hunt for a serial killer who thinks he is the next Noah.

Scott Glenn plays the agent who has a smart 12 year old who doesn't squirm at anything and is happy to view crime scenes and has a computer that can do a lot of things. Zitto Kazann plays the schizophrenic nut who believes the man upstairs is speaking to him and encouraging him to kidnap children and to be the next Noah but he does have a good Ark. This does have a few scratching your head moments with some plot holes but for a film that is probably a made for tv this isn't too bad.

MV5BMTA0ODY2NTUzOTBeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDU4Mzk1MjE@._V1_.jpg
Old 27th April 2023, 06:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Zee and Co (1971)

Elizabeth Taylor plays the amoral wife of a wealthy architect (Michael Caine) who tries in any way she can to break up the blossoming romance between her husband and his new mistress - a pleasant young widow who hides a dark secret. (Susannah York)

This should definitely have been called Who's Afraid of Elizabeth Taylor as she's at her scheming best here, seething with jealousy even though she's as amoral as her hubby. It's all sweary and close to the edge; Taylor even slashes her wrists in the bath in this one but Caine is no Richard Burton and can't compete with a full force Elizabeth Taylor.

Zee and Co reminds me of other films such as Goodbye Gemini (1970) in the way it blends in the sounds and feel of the era. There's an excellent early seventies rock soundtrack and the costume department clearly had a blast. Whilst perhaps it's no classic, it has some juicy ripe dialogue and the love triangle makes for an interesting premise.

Funniest line - Taylor yells at Caine "Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a shit!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9oUBAsHMS0RHutRLSYY1U2ZQKda (Large).jpg (64.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 27th April 2023, 07:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Panic. 1982.

We got a doctor playing god with a new bacterial substance and he is exposed and deforming him into a monster, that goes on a murderous rampage. David Warbeck plays Captain Kirk...seriously that is his character's name who is sent from the army to kill the monster. Janet Argen is the lab assistant/doctor who tries to create a antidote.

Filmed in and around somewhere in England and for some reason the dubbing is all over the place...I remember why it's directed by Tonino Ricci who is probably taking notes from Bruno Mattei movies on how to create a walking infectious monster and not stealing...sorry borrowing bits from other peoples movies. The make-up effects are done decently but some of the kills are up-close or done off screen especially when he interrupts a couple in a car. For the budget and acting this wasn't too bad.

49650_1_large.jpg
Old 27th April 2023, 10:26 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Sword And The Claw

Turkish Film released by 101 Films/AGFA. This very bonkers Movie sees a Tyrant battle Resistance Fighters lead by a man who was raised by Lions. Plenty of crazy Fight Scenes and has one of the corniest Scripts around (Or whoever did the dubbing script) Granted the picture quality isn't the best but the Ratio covers the screen.

It's not for everyone but if you are in the mood, it's a hoot.

Bank Job

Based on a True Story, this sees Jason Statham lead a team of Bank Robbers to steal the contents of Safety Deposit Boxes when set up by an old flame in order to obtain some incriminating photos of a Royal, which are being used by a Gangster to Blackmail. Whilst doing this, they also get hold of other photographs and ledgers detailing the pay-offs to crooked Cops, which in turn, puts them in the direction of the local Gangsters led by David Sucet.

I've always liked this one, it's such an easy watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg satc.jpg (14.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg bj.jpg (16.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 27th April 2023, 11:17 PM
Cultist

it's a shame that the sword and the claw is cut for horse falls but that was to xspected
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 28th April 2023, 10:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)

For me this is Frank Capra's best film, as far as sheer entertainment goes. It may not make me an emotional wreck like his It's a Wonderful Life of seven years later but it is a better film.

James Stewart who incidentally stars in both, is outstanding as the idealistic young senator from the country who ends up battling the ruthless politicians and businessmen who sent him to Washington as their stooge in the first place when he realises he isn't his own man anymore and sets put to prove everyone wrong.

It's a film that's brilliantly cast. Jean Arthur, who top lines with Stewart, is wonderful as Stewart's brutally cynical but incredibly efficient secretary as is Claude Rains who plays a senator who is nothing more than a patsy for powerful business men out for their own gains whilst western character actor Harry Carey almost steals the spotlight from Stewart as the Senate president during the pivotal last half hour.

It's the drama that really propels the film along rather than outright comedy of which there is very little, neither is there any of Capra's usual sentimentality getting in the way of what is a quite gripping final third.

Capra's film is a superb look at corruption in American politics and one i've always loved.

Many thanks to Mr. Smit... er' Mr.Barlow, for grabbing me a copy from HMV of the soon out of print Premium Collection title.

As far as discs in this collection go it's stacked with extras including a commentary, several featurettes ranging from ten to twenty five minutes a piece and a near two hour look at Capra's work presented by Ron Howard in glorious HD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (89.8 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!