Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Splatterdragon73 25th October 2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 45697)
Nice to hear! I've have been wondering about "Cold Prey 1 & 2" as I've been very impressed with recent Euro horror.
I'll have to pick this up i think.
:cool:

Like i said earlier i personally preferred the sequel but i found both CP films enjoyable and imo G2's double-bill DVD is a bargain at £8!
These Norwegian slashers may not exactly be brimming with originality but i certainly didn't regret buying this U.K. release.
Fair enough, not too packed with extras but lovely PQ on both movies.:happy:

One thing i forgot to mention.

Unless you like spoilers DO NOT do what i did and watch the short making-of the first CP prior to viewing the actual film itself.
This featurette gives away too much!:mmph:

Also, make sure you pick up a copy with no loose discs inside the case as a fair few of the copies i checked in HMV suffered from this problem. It seems to be down to the spindle holding the first CP DVD as it's not too robust imo.:mmph:

Splatterdragon73 25th October 2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 45747)
I enjoyed "Cold Prey ". It was my first exposure to Norwegian horror. I wasn't aware of a second film so I'll be checking that out when I can.

If more Norwegian horror efforts are like the CP films then i'm up for seeing a few more of 'em!

I found CPII:R to be superior to the first film and a touch more visually impressive imo. Gorier i thought too, but both entries deserve the attention of stalk 'n slash devotees who don't mind a bit of familiarity.

With regards to the above sequel, think the original Halloween II only with snow and you're there!:happy:

Kyle 25th October 2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 45739)
I am intrigued by this "The Dead Pit" thing. Investigations may begin...

i love the dead pit its on e of my fav films, i still have it on vhs and ive got a mini movie version of it as well

Splatterdragon73 25th October 2009 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 45737)
I have just watched the Blue Underground disk of Nightmare City only to discover that I have never seen it before!!! I always assumed I had seen it but no. Nice.

I had always thought it was a zombie flick, had no idea it was an "infected living" film á la The Crazies and 28 Days Later.

Not entirely awful I thought! Clearly it was rushed, but it was competently made by and large and fairly well shot. I am appreciating Lenzi more as I am older, perhaps cutting him more slack as I know more about the industry and imtes in which he worked.

Decent disk, but I thought colours were a little faded and edges a little soft. I wonder if that was just down to film stock though.

I love Lenzi's radiation ravaged schlockfest and ABUK's NC DVD boasted a beautiful transfer of the film.:clap:

In the U.S. the film was drastically re-edited and renamed City Of The Walking Dead.
Maybe it should've been City Of The Walking, Running, Shooting, Stabbing, Strangling, Scratching, Decapitating, Bludgeoning, Blood Drinking, Eye-Gouging and Tit-Tearing Dead!

There's so many amusing atomic attacks in NC it never gets boring imo.
Amusement parks, petrol stations, TV studios, hospitals (watch for flying scalpels!) and airports. Great and gloriously gory stuff!:rockon:

Splatterdragon73 25th October 2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitchslicer (Post 45763)
i love the dead pit its on e of my fav films, i still have it on vhs and ive got a mini movie version of it as well

Never seen this film but i like the tagline!

'When the dead start walking, you better start running!':happy:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th October 2009 07:30 AM

Picked up a couple of cheap films in the online sales: Hardware: Special Edition & Murder Party.

Gigantor 26th October 2009 08:51 AM

Going through the OMEN series,Watched part 1 and 2 yesterday.Also recently seen are THE HORSEMEN,ASTROBOY and TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE

Kyle 26th October 2009 01:44 PM

i watched harry potter and the half blood prince and the new Disney film up only cuz the kids wanted to honestly :behindsofa:

DeadAlive 26th October 2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitchslicer (Post 45848)
i watched harry potter and the half blood prince and the new Disney film up only cuz the kids wanted to honestly :behindsofa:

I'm taking my 10 year old daughter to see "Up " tomorrow. I've got to have some credibility when I walk in. :cool:

Kyle 26th October 2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 45854)
I'm taking my 10 year old daughter to see "Up " tomorrow. I've got to have some credibility when I walk in. :cool:

its actually really good but it has got some really sad parts in it too but i loved it and it kept my 3 year old lad good through the whole film :woot:

42ndStreetFreak 26th October 2009 03:39 PM

Cheers Splatter!

I adore "Nightmare City". It just has that certain special Euro splatter greatness. They are perhaps the most dubious 'they are not Zombies' creatures though.
As these look decayed (even skeletal near the end for the groovy head splatter shots), need to feed on humans and can ony be killed by a shot/damage to the head.
Why would a simple infected person only able to be killed by brain destruction?
Seems Lenzi was hedging his bets with this...But whatever it delivers bags of entertainment, groovy dubbing by the late great Nick Alexander and a top notch Euro electro score.
And of course a stupid ass ending that happens to work just brilliantly.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th October 2009 10:54 PM

MONA LISA re-release on Optimum.
Bob Hoskins in one of the greatest Brit actors ever.:nod:

DAY OF THE ANIMALS.....Leslie Neilson's descent into madness was hilarious...:biggrin:

MAD MAX......The Japanese import has both the original Aussie dubbing and the American dubbing,which is quite frankly,ridiculous....:laugh:

vincenzo 26th October 2009 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 45903)
MAD MAX......The Japanese import has both the original Aussie dubbing and the American dubbing,which is quite frankly,ridiculous....:laugh:

The UK disc does too, only it plays the American dub by default. Took a while for me to work out why Mel Gibson sounded like George Clooney. :laugh:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th October 2009 11:07 PM

Hilarious innit?:biggrin:

Gigantor 27th October 2009 04:20 AM

Quote:

DAY OF THE ANIMALS.....Leslie Neilson's descent into madness was hilarious...:biggrin:

Yeah DAY OF THE ANIMALS is a fun film

42ndStreetFreak 27th October 2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Still Hoskins' best performance. His Harold Shand is superb, but George is a much harder character to essay as there is no obvious 'showy' scenes are aspects. Truly brilliant film. And Caine can really do scary!

As for "Mad Mad", that dub was the way most of the world saw the film for years. Crazy to think that.

Where the hell is the uncut DVD of "Mad Max 2" as well? It was promised on Australian DVD but never turned up.
Fed up of having to put up with (yet again) that American 'R' print on DVD, we always had it uncut on VHS.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th October 2009 08:47 PM

I've bought the Blu ray version-that uncut?:confused:

Stephen@Cult Labs 27th October 2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 45944)

yeah reaper the blu-ray of Mad Max 2 is the uncut version :)

42ndStreetFreak 27th October 2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 45944)

Yeah...It's uncut. Sorry, I should have stated that by DVD I did not mean Blu-ray.

Luckily the blu-ray version is the uncut international print, not the American 'R' print. :clap:

But on DVD...all prints (bar an otherwise crappy Japanese release) are cut. :ack:

EDIT...OH! I was beaten to it. Anyway...be of good cheer.

BioZombie 27th October 2009 09:13 PM

The Mad Max 2 blue ray has one of the best transfers ive ever seen, it close to flawless. Plus you get a great blu-ray only commentry from George Miller

Stephen@Cult Labs 27th October 2009 09:23 PM

I've actually just put the blu-ray on now even though I watched it last month.God I'm sad lol.

It's a lovely transfer and the best it's ever looked.Be interesting to hear other board members thoughts when they watch their first blu-ray movie,especially if it's an older film.Probably the same as mine when confronted with film grain for the first time (even though dvd's do contain it,it's not usually as noticeable) Just remember these worlds everyone.......Grain Good,DNR baaaaaaaaad :nod:

42ndStreetFreak 27th October 2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 45952)
The Mad Max 2 blue ray has one of the best transfers ive ever seen, it close to flawless. Plus you get a great blu-ray only commentry from George Miller

Nice!
Sounds like a groovy, groovy thing. I've just not had that blu-ray bug bite at all yet.
:suspicious:

vincenzo 27th October 2009 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 45957)
I've just not had that blu-ray bug bite at all yet.

To be honest neither have I. I'm quite happy with DVD. :nod:

Gigantor 28th October 2009 05:39 AM

Omen 4
omen remake
spiritual kungfu

mbv 28th October 2009 01:04 PM

Young Frankenstein
I think this is just starting to overtake This is Spinal Tap as the funniest film ever. I'm getting to the stage where I can quote this movie way too much.
Gene Wilder in this is probably the funniest performance ever.

And in contrast...
Night of the Bloody Apes
Salvation films 'uncut' edition. How can a company get away with advertising an uncut edition of a film which has about 6 mins trimmed from the uncut edition. It even lists it as 84 mins when it runs at about 78mins.
Anyway I know I should have checked this out before but I trusted what I read on the cover.
The cuts are horrible too. I assume the editor was a blind panda bear with a sissors.
As for the film(of what was left) it was hilarious. One of those so bad it's good movies which I will have to get uncut. I read the redemption edition is intact.
Some of the dubbing is ridiculous, the guy with the english/irish/scottish accent is the best.
Loved the scene at the park when the police cars and ambulance arrive and none of them put the handbrake on so the cars roll.
And the square piece of fake grass that gets dragged off to reveal the studio floor.
And the female wrestling!! The body double's arse is twice the size of the actress.

Vampix 28th October 2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 45954)
I've actually just put the blu-ray on now even though I watched it last month.God I'm sad lol.

It's a lovely transfer and the best it's ever looked.Be interesting to hear other board members thoughts when they watch their first blu-ray movie,especially if it's an older film.Probably the same as mine when confronted with film grain for the first time (even though dvd's do contain it,it's not usually as noticeable) Just remember these worlds everyone.......Grain Good,DNR baaaaaaaaad :nod:

I've been toying with the idea of buying my first blu-ray disc, An American Werewolf in London, I've heard it looks incredible! I haven't got a player yet but I can watch it via my wife's Sony laptop (with built-in blu-ray) hooked up to my full HD TV.Of course, I'll have to grab Arrow's Dawn of the Dead blu-ray set as well at some point. :)

vincenzo 28th October 2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbv (Post 46029)
I read the redemption edition is intact.

Yes I have the Redemption DVD and it's fully uncut (despite no BBFC submission). The previous DVD features the old heavily edited Sovereign/Satanica video print which was cut to the point of complete incomprehension. :ack:

Gojirosan 28th October 2009 05:13 PM

And it's a hard enough film to comprehend in the first place!

:D

Angel 28th October 2009 08:01 PM

My Bloody Valentine (remake)

Very entertaining. Preferred it to the original. The violence was stronger as well.

Unlike the original though the MPAA didn't ask for a single cut.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th October 2009 08:15 PM

Ooh sacrlieage there Angel....:eyebrows:

Did you catch the uncut R1 version?:)

vincenzo 28th October 2009 09:57 PM

I think the unrated print of the original is superb.

Kyle 29th October 2009 09:59 AM

i just ordered these off http://www.olivefilms.com/

not bad price really both for $61 and that's including the postage

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2..._devil_lrg.jpg http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...waters_lrg.jpg

bdc 29th October 2009 01:58 PM

Nice!
Have you used them before?
Good service?

AndyFrantic 29th October 2009 04:12 PM

Received these in the post yesterday:

Halloween blu-ray
Trick r Treat
Macabre
House by the Cemetery

Think i'll save them for saturday night :popcorn:

42ndStreetFreak 29th October 2009 05:31 PM

"Ripper: Letters from Hell"

Hmmmm....After a pretty good opening this then gets rather plodding (long running time for a horror film actually) for a while until coming to life again.

A killer sees to be offing obnoxious student types in ways similar to Jack the Ripper.
It has a few bloody moments and keeps you guessing.
The finale is chaotic, reveal filled, fun and the very end....well....seems to have really been the thing that has given this film any sort of profile.
I for one thought that very final twist (simply a 2 second scene before the credits) was pretty easy to understand and that the movie had a perfectly satisfying explanation.
But it seems other people have other ideas and much debate still goes on on-line.

A forgotten and generally hated sequel has a continuing (though not needed, the first film does end) plot that seems to confirm the obvious as well.

Not bad. Just average fare.

"Pathology"

Mark Neveldine & Brian Taylorhe, the writer/director's of the "Crank" movies push the boundaries again, only with not a trace of humour (black or otherwise) or comic strip craziness to be found.
Here they are only the writers, so perhaps the utter darkness seen here is down to the director Marc Schölermann.

A group of pathology students create a game where each commits a murder and the others have to autopsy the body to work out how the death was carried out.

True the story has a few possible plausibility issues but as a wallow in nastiness, nihilism and body fluids it's a well crafted slice of modern horror.
The fact it does not have any real energy or kinetic set-pieces means there is not any real excitement here and when added to the utter darkness, grit and grim content you can see why this basically vanished onto DVD. A fun night at the flicks this is not.

The FX are fantastically well done and the film clinically embraces the human corpse as a biological jigsaw, filled with foul stenches and stinking liquids.
And the attitude of the truly warped lead characters here (which means the film basically has no nice or sympathetic characters for most of its running time..another audience pleasing problem) is grotesque as far as any kind of sanctity or respect for human remains goes.
Brief flashes of violence and gore, or explicit sex romps on autopsy tables with the corpses lying a few feet away, are not the real uncomfortable aspects of the film...it's this attitude of someone's loved one being a macabre game where every part of them is a bloody playing piece.

There is no light here at all. It's a relentlessly grim wade through madness, callousness and pitch darkness.
That such a bleak and nihilistic, dour film got a few million dollars thrown at it (FX are top notch, the film looks glossy and chic and all is well crafted with solid, professional actors) is a miracle and shows that despite what many think there is a real up-turn in extreme horror filmmaking at the moment that's very welcome.

Well worth checking out if you are in the mood to wallow in the grimness of it all, just don't expect to be conventionally entertained or look forward to any fast paced thrills.

Kyle 29th October 2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 46158)
Nice!
Have you used them before?
Good service?

no i haven't but i just checked my email and they have shipped them already, ill let you know when they arrive

BioZombie 29th October 2009 10:11 PM

I juast saw Vanguard a low budget british apocolyptic horror film. The makers did really well with an obviously tight budget. Its a bit of a slow burner but the its never boring and theres some great 28 days later sytle zombie action. It shot digitally and the format has been used to prety good effect (it seems the cinematographer really knows how to fill a frame). It also makes you think something any good zombie flick should do.

Gigantor 30th October 2009 07:41 AM

THE HORSEMEN and THE BIG BRAWL

mbv 30th October 2009 11:06 AM

American Psycho 2

Been avoiding this for years as I was so let down by the original(was a huge fan of the book) especially the ending. :mad2:

Picked it up for 2.50 and it was well worth the 2.50!
Great performance from Kunis who is fine throughout:eyebrows:
Shatner is pretty good in it too.
No graphic gore in it though which was the biggest let down. Decent serial killer movie with lots of black humour

Gojirosan 30th October 2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbv (Post 46191)
I was so let down by the original(was a huge fan of the book)

Curiously, I was the exact opposite: I hated the book with a passion but thought the film was great adapting a shoddy source into a fine picture.

:lol: