Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179040Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th May 2023, 09:55 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Ironheart. Robert Clouse. 1992.

L.A. cop John Keem travels up to Portland when his former partner is murdered. Upon investigating Keem uncovers a missings persons case connected to a black market arms dealer posing as a shipping magnate.

One of the many early 90s martial arts thrillers that seemed to flood the market around that time, this is a lower tier actioner starring Britton K.Lee, an actor I've never heard of as L.A. cop and convenient martial arts expert John Keem. The film is marketed off the back of Bolo Yueng's name, being he's a far better known martial arts star. Whether this one ever saw a cinema release I don't know but it does have the somewhat underplayed merit of being helmed by Enter the Dragon director Robert Clouse. In fact it appears to have been his last film before his death.
I rather enjoyed this admittedly easy watch. The second half does become more amateurish and absurd but by then I was invested enough not to care. Clouse cleverly makes all his villains sneering pantomime ultra evil types so the one dimensional John Keem automatically becomes a more likeable lead.
It's a great shame 101's blu ray features such an awful audio presentation with dreadful background hiss all the way through.
Still an entertaining enough watch for when you just fancy some simple early 90s kickarsery.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Yes I remember these type of films from the early 90s, released by VPD and Imperial. Found some of them more enjoyable than the big blockbusters of the day
Old 7th May 2023, 10:00 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Easily the best thing Marvel have done in many a year, when Rocket is injured his friends set out to save him , which sets a collision course with his past and the insane and totally unlikable High Evolutionary. What you come to expect from a guardians film , lots of humour , a great soundtrack and a fun time, the guardians film have always been my favourite , think it's too do with how fun they are and unlike a lot of marvel films especially the later ones , no beating you across the head with agenda's.

As much as enjoyed it , I think it's the time they should give it a rest for a couple of years , people are suffering from superhero fatigue which is probably true if the showing i went to see is anything to go by, the cinema was quite empty but when I saw Evil dead rise that was busy even though both Fridays at roughly same times.
I watched this a packed and quite enthusiastic multiplex screen last night. I'm feeling the Marvel fatigue myself but it certainly didn't seem evident among the audience I was with.

Last edited by J Harker; 7th May 2023 at 10:58 PM.
Old 7th May 2023, 10:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Grandma's Boy (2006, Nicholaus Goosen)

Comedy.
When a game tester is forced to live with his grandmother, he finds more than three dead cats under the sofa
This was a tonic. The kind of film Hypocritewood doesn't make anymore. In that I actually laughed at the situation this weed addled chap finds himself in more than once.
Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th May 2023, 11:30 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

FRIDAY THE 13TH: PART 3 – I think the series starts to change a little with ‘Part 3’. A different tone comes through in quirky characters, odd encounters and gags that work. It’s not going for comedy exactly, but you might be forgiven for thinking otherwise – how else would you frame those not-very-authentic-seeming bikers, one of whom pops up at the most convenient moment to ‘lend a hand’? Or the hobo who flashes a freshly emancipated eye at the camera, just so punters could get it in the face through their 3D goggles? The whole 3D thing is worth mentioning because it’s where ‘Part 3’ either wins or loses really. The whole film is littered with excuses for things to stick out and thus strike the audience with “oh my god – the power of the third dimension!” Unfortunately, instead of making these opportunities count narratively or poetically or whatever, they go for the most mundane choices possible – weapons come flying at times alright, but you’re more likely to find yourself caught off-guard by a jutting broom handle - big f*cking deal! But for all that, I actually quite like it. The extra dimension brought to proceedings is not of space, but of silliness itself. It gives the thing a really wonky feel that I couldn’t help but get into. When the film’s not bamboozling us with oddballs and strange gimmicks, it’s played pretty straight, adding another layer of tonal disconnect that seems to work for me. There are eerie windswept bits, nice visuals like those billowing sheets near the beginning, stuff set in that creepy barn. There’s a fair amount of gore, although the kills are frivolous rather than obnoxious. The beginnings of self-referentiality give us a knowing wink when blood spatters an issue of Fango. Maybe the real reason I prefer it to its predecessor is that the pace is so much better, brisker. It’s a strange concoction, but I really like ‘Part 3’. To me, rather than a sequel, it actually feels like a ‘Friday The 13th’ rip-off that doesn’t quite descend into parody. That’s kind of a compliment, in that I prefer those third and fourth tier slashers that take a tired formula and, often out of simple desperation rather than any true vision, do something a bit strange with it. Not sure what Steve Miner would think of that, but either way he gets a pat on the back for giving Jason, and us, that hockey mask.

FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE FINAL CHAPTER – ‘The Final Chapter’ is often lauded as the best of the series. I’m not sure about that, but it’s pretty strong. I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as ‘Part 3’, but I can kind of see what works. The script and the performances step up, I think; the dialogue’s sharp and snappy, the interactions feel rounded, there’s a sense that you’re among humans who happen to possess personalities, rather than dumb teen ciphers. Case in point – Crispin Glover. I’m a big Glover fan, so it was nice catching an early appearance where he’s only just beginning to demonstrate his nascent tendencies. He might not be going full Glover, but that’s incidental really because it’s just a performance that flows. Otherwise, I like the tone of ‘The Final Chapter’, it’s dourer and more ominous than the seemingly carefree ‘Part 3’, but it makes room for a lot of the kind of strangeness that the series would increasingly call upon – look no further than the arbitrary-seeming discovery of 1920s nudie reels and that jaw-dropping moment when Corey Feldman flummoxes Jason with a sudden bout of hilarious and terrifying microtherapy. Highly enjoyable really, an instance of the series getting it right whilst still remaining in straight(ish) slasher mode. As an aside, it was whilst watching ‘The Final Chapter’ that I noticed for the first time the series trope of people crashing through windows. That happens a lot in this.
Old 8th May 2023, 01:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Dandy In Aspic (1968, Anthony Mann)

Spy caper.
Laurence Harvey and a load of British stalwarts muck around in Berlin trying to oust some traitors on both sides. Had fun with this one, another of those Bond pretenders, though more in line with H Palmer and that without all that filing ahem. All with a wonderful score by the ubiquitious Quincy Jones. Recommended to those who like that sort of thing.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th May 2023, 05:00 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Mulholland Drive (2001)

If you've ever looked upon Hollywood from Mulholland Drive you'd definitely remember it. I have and it's quite something, although not as iconic as the view of downtown Los Angeles from the Griffith Park observatory it's still impressive.

It's a view of a place of hope, a place of opportunities, a place of ideals, a place of identity, a place of obsession, a place of illusion, a place of dreams and a place of nightmares.

It's also a place of intoxicated liberation from rhyme and reason which also sums up Mulholland Drive the movie. A film that is easy enough to do a synopsis of but to understand it, well that's something else entirely.
Old 8th May 2023, 05:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Mulholland Drive. 2001.

David Lynch has a weird unique way of making films, don't believe me check out Eraserhead, This was a blind watch for me and to be honest this was another film that should have been watched long ago before now. The interpretation seems to be like watching someone else's nightmarish dream, yes it did get a bit confusing then managed to understand it fully. Naomi Harris and and Laura Harring are the two main female leads and their acting in this is superb and knew how to create a lot of energy with their characters. This may not be for everyone's taste buds but certainly worth a glance.

Attachment 244737
Are you sure?
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 8th May 2023, 05:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Are you sure?
To be honest I re-watched it last night and came away with a different interpretation of the film than before.
Old 8th May 2023, 05:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
To be honest I re-watched it last night and came away with a different interpretation of the film than before.
I was hypnotized by the Blu-ray menu screen.
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.
Old 8th May 2023, 09:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

65 (2022, Scott Beck/ Bryan Woods)

The stooooopidest film that I've seen this year.
It literally beggars belief, try and suspend it if you can, as there was some fun what with the situation in hand. The underlying silliness tipped the balance for all that. Lawdy. Might even make Boxing Day this one

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!