Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th June 2023, 01:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
I had this on VHS in the late 90s, watched it...or attempted to watch it and only got half a hour into it and turned it off. It seemed to follow the near same path as The Stepfather 2 but failed badly.
You weren't missing much. It just drags really. I might start turning more films off. I always like to see them through in some ways, but I've been feeling quite stroppy recently when it comes to stuff that bores me so a few quick exits might not be a bad idea.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 4th June 2023, 01:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
You weren't missing much. It just drags really. I might start turning more films off. I always like to see them through in some ways, but I've been feeling quite stroppy recently when it comes to stuff that bores me so a few quick exits might not be a bad idea.
You want bad acting and bad film plot 3 headed shark attack is on Horrorxtra just now, this makes Jaws 3/ revenge more entertaining
Old 4th June 2023, 01:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
You want bad acting and bad film plot 3 headed shark attack is on Horrorxtra just now, this makes Jaws 3/ revenge more entertaining
Ha ha. Bad I can handle, boring I try to avoid.
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.
Old 4th June 2023, 01:37 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I think i have that on dvd. It mist be cut to play in the afternoon.

I definitely have 2 Headed Shark Attack. Love that, loads of fun.
Old 4th June 2023, 01:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I think i have that on dvd. It mist be cut to play in the afternoon.

I definitely have 2 Headed Shark Attack. Love that, loads of fun.
There was a side glance of the upper female anatomy on show...even I'm surprised at that being shown at this time of the day.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 4th June 2023, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

36 Hours (1965)

The Nazis capture an American Major working in intelligence and convince him it's 1950 in an elaborate plot to extract information about the D-Day invasion which German high command expects to happen in a few days time at Pas de Calais.

This feels almost Hitchcockian in it's intricacies showing the lengths the Germans would go to in order to gain vital intelligence. James Garner convinces as the captured Major and has good support from Robert Taylor and Eva Marie Saint.

Perhaps parts are a bit implausible but on the whole this was an excellent piece of war time entertainment.

There's a lengthier write up of this film in the War Films thread. War Films
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36_hours_movieposter.jpg (27.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 5th June 2023, 08:39 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Bad Boys. 1983.

What Scum did for British cinema, this American film kicks it up a notch, this is gritty, suspenseful film dealing with drugs, rape, death and young delinquents in a unstable hostile surroundings. Sean Penn plays Mick who is sentenced after killing the younger brother of a rival gang in a drug steal gone wrong. There is plenty of recognisable faces and the actors certainly pushed their acting abilities to make it believable and hardship of 'Juvie' in America. This I have bypassed for a while but my neighbour insisted I watch it and glad I did, from the start the film gets better and better with great built up tense moments.

Attachment 246567
Is Bad Boys a semi-remake of Scum? It's a long time since I saw it but I remember thinking that it was hitting some of the beats of Scum very closely and recreating some of the scenes e.g. didn't both films feature assault by pool balls?

It doesn't get mentioned very much these days. Glad you enjoyed it. I'd recommend it too, to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.
Old 5th June 2023, 10:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Is Bad Boys a semi-remake of Scum? It's a long time since I saw it but I remember thinking that it was hitting some of the beats of Scum very closely and recreating some of the scenes e.g. didn't both films feature assault by pool balls?

It doesn't get mentioned very much these days. Glad you enjoyed it. I'd recommend it too, to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.
In a way it is on the same par as Scum, it doesn't have pool balls in a sock but a ton of coke cans in a pillow case, a rape scene involving a woman and a intimate but not shown but we do see the aftermath. Think Dog Pound that was released a few years back was a remake of both this and Scum.
nicholasrope and Rob4 like this.
Old 5th June 2023, 12:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
In a way it is on the same par as Scum, it doesn't have pool balls in a sock but a ton of coke cans in a pillow case, a rape scene involving a woman and a intimate but not shown but we do see the aftermath. Think Dog Pound that was released a few years back was a remake of both this and Scum.
Ah yes, you've jogged my memory - coke cans, not pool balls. I remember thinking how similar it was. It made me wince at the time
Old 5th June 2023, 12:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Ah yes, you've jogged my memory - coke cans, not pool balls. I remember thinking how similar it was. It made me wince at the time
Still think the sound of the pool balls in a sock meeting someone's face is a cringe moment with the sound rather than coke cans

Like this? Share it using the links below!