All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th June 2023, 08:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
I think we all have different opinions on Dracula films but Horror Of Dracula is a classic for me and never struggled with it yet it may not be for everyone.
I love it but I had trouble getting into it tonight
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 6th June 2023, 10:50 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Think I must be in weird mood tonight watched a film called the goose steps out and thought that was dreadful was a struggle to finish and having trouble with horror of Dracula
(Horror of) Dracula is generally seen as one of the top ten British horror films of all time. Maybe you should give it a go when you are less jaded.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 6th June 2023, 11:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Just about to settle down and watch some bit of a war film with a cast of nobodies - Robert Mitchum, John Wayne, Richard Burton, Sean Connery, Henry Fonda, Rod Steiger, Richard Todd and Robert Ryan...among others.

I might be some time.
Loved it once again.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 7th June 2023, 08:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

John Wick: Chapter 4.

Not going to go into detail on this for anyone who is wanting to see this, Chapter 3 admittedly is good but not brilliant like the previous films, this entry is kicked up the notch. Great star cast, plenty fights and action and decent choreographed street fight in Paris. At 2 hours 50 mins this was time well passed by.

John_Wick_-_Chapter_4_promotional_poster.jpg
Old 8th June 2023, 08:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I think we all have different opinions on Dracula films but Horror Of Dracula is a classic for me and never struggled with it yet it may not be for everyone.
I love it too.

But for me the best part doesn't have Dracula in it. It's where Lucy meets the kid in the woods. Creepy and disturbing. My son even said and I quote 'right, this is starting to freak me out now'
Old 8th June 2023, 11:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Frankenstein's Army. (2013)

With the Second World War coming to an end, a Russian patrol somewhere in Germany stumble upon whole villages raised to the ground, bodies left to rot by an unknown terror. Does a secret abandoned underground factory hold the truth?

Frankenstein's Army is essentially a reworking of the story of Frankenstein, brought kicking and screaming into the twentieth century and thrust head first into WW2. The film is well made for a shaky cam / found footage piece, thankfully shot on film rather than digitally, and on the whole well acted. Its main downfall is its opening two thirds, which if i'm honest we've seen many times before in scene upon scene of chatter and woods wandering.

Its not patrol locates Frankenstein during the final half hour that the film really gets going and ventures out of its all too familiar shaky cam film making style. Frankenstein, played by Karel Roden, (He's Victor Frankenstein's grandson ) is the star of the show, possibly the maddest of all the big screen Frankenstein's. Roden's performance ranges from the brilliance of a scientist to the insane ramblings of a lunatic let loose in the asylum. Thankfully Frankenstein decides he wants to show off his work and become the star of the film so he positions the shaky cam in a steady place and gets to work on his latest bout of brain surgery which the viewer gets to watch in all its gory detail.

Frankenstein's macabre creations are right out of a steam punk version of Hellraiser. Creatures patched together with mechanical parts and weapons from the period. When we finally do get to have a good look then when the film gets really interesting as they are terrifying patchworks of true horror. I was sat there glued to the screen once more twitching at the horrifying experiments yet unable to divert my fascinated gaze from Frankenstein's grotesque fusions of flesh and steel, which really are genuinely frightening and yet almost beautifully inventive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frankensteins_army_xlg.jpg (92.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 9th June 2023, 05:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

John Doe: Vigilante. 2014.

This was a blind watch for me, from the premise this seemed good with a Death Wish premise of a ordinary mild man being pushed to the limits and seeking out his own justice while a rally of people encourage the vigilante killings. It starts off with police interrogating a man while we see in flash backs the killings and why those were targeted, yet it does leave you wondering if the man the police are holding is the vigilante or not. The acting is surprisingly decent for a low budget film, especially when a man is confronted and the anguish of another seeking revenge. There is some detail moments involving young children that may upset some but then karma does come calling in a decent brutal way. There is a bit of a disappointment with the cinematography as it does go normal then to near found footage and then back again, one bit did have questioning is how did the gut know there was a camera present or did he put it there.

81KzVa6r8-L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Old 9th June 2023, 05:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bad Ass. 2012

Danny Trejo shows why you should never upset a senior citizen, here he plays a Vietnam Vet who stands up to some thugs and becomes a internet sensation until his friend is killed and seeks revenge when the police fail. This isn't a original idea and I felt I was watching a comedy remake of Harry Brown, here he is slow on the running bit still has quick reflexes in a good fight and has a wise cracking foul mouth neighbour's son who does tend to create laughs. Charles S. Dutton is the old ageing street gangster and Ron Perlman is the corrupt official who thinks he can still stand tall even though he will be sent down. One that is certainly not to be taken seriously but entertaining to watch and pass time.

MV5BMTM3MzIwMzQwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDA5ODY2Nw@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg
Old 9th June 2023, 08:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Faust. 1926.

After F.W. Murnau made his 1922 film Nosferatu he was given a bigger budget to.make any film and he choose to make this and didn't even disappoint. God and the Devil make a wager to corrupt a man called Faust who is a alchemists and tries to save the village from a dark plague.

This movie is a true visual masterpiece to watch for its chilling dark plot line, even before any visual effects were created the flying sequence between Faust and Mephisto is amazing and shows how Murnau thinks on his feet to create something captivating. The acting is great and sometimes a bit daft but still entertaining even with the music background that blends in well with what is happening in the film to darkness, and some cheerful moments then very eerie atmospheric tone to the film. One I'd certainty recommend for fans of the director and silent movies.

p12351_p_v8_ac.jpg
Old 9th June 2023, 09:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Faust. 1926.

After F.W. Murnau made his 1922 film Nosferatu he was given a bigger budget to.make any film and he choose to make this and didn't even disappoint. God and the Devil make a wager to corrupt a man called Faust who is a alchemists and tries to save the village from a dark plague.

This movie is a true visual masterpiece to watch for its chilling dark plot line, even before any visual effects were created the flying sequence between Faust and Mephisto is amazing and shows how Murnau thinks on his feet to create something captivating. The acting is great and sometimes a bit daft but still entertaining even with the music background that blends in well with what is happening in the film to darkness, and some cheerful moments then very eerie atmospheric tone to the film. One I'd certainty recommend for fans of the director and silent movies.

Attachment 246633
Great film. Owned the Eureka dual format release long before i had a Blu-ray player.
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!