Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

troggi 27th August 2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 361333)
I don't want to pick fault with your score system Troggi but to newcomers 8/10 would appear as if you really liked this movie a lot.:nod:
8 for me is really very good. 9 almost perfect, 10 perfect (almost unheard of.)
Personally i like your rating system, your'e a renegade agent of chaos.;)

"renegade agent of chaos"? No. Tw*t? Yes! But thankee, koind zur, fur yoor complement on moi zcorin' zyztem!

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th August 2013 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Crazy in Alabama (1999)

The directorial debut of Antonio Banderas, stars his wife Melanie Griffith in a sixties set tale of a young Southern boys fight against racism in his local community and from the law in particular headed by Sheriff Doggett, a rather nasty Meat Loaf. Meanwhile his aunt abandons her seven children and heads to Hollywood taking with her a prized hat box. But where is her husband?

Crazy in Alabama could easily have come from the pen of Stephen King, it has that Stand by Me feel to it particularly as the children are so well written. Having said that, Crazy in Alabama is a bit of an oddity. On one hand you get a serious look at bigotry and the sixties struggles against segregation of black Americans as seen through a thirteen year old white boy's eyes. On the other hand you get the comical journey of a naive forty something woman who will stop at nothing to achieve her dream of being a Hollywood star.

The two strands to the tale are occasionally jarring and also make the scenes of casual racist violence even more disturbing as you go from laughing one minute to open mouth the next. As the two strands of the story merge towards the conclusion, the final courtroom scenes almost had me in tears.

Crazy in Alabama is a highly recommended curiosity, although it may not be to everyone's taste.

PaulD 27th August 2013 11:54 AM

Not had much time to watch films the last few weeks but still managed to get a few in when I can:

Basket Case - shamefully my first viewing of this. Love anything that shows the seedier side to the New York of old and this delivers the grime in spadefuls. Wonderful plastic visual effects AND stop-motion. Has a really odd pace to it with an overly-long expository flashback sequence which ruins the films flow when I just wanted to see more of Belial storming around the hotel f--king shit up but overall a really enjoyable piece of 80's video rental horror.

[Rec] 3: Genesis - had to drop my found footage embargo for the sake of carrying on with this franchise which I love and glad that I did. In a brilliant moment of genre-commentary/realism it drops the found footage conceit early on and goes for standard cinematography and is a much better film for it. I'm sure some [Rec] purists might not like that or find the almost-comic approach it takes at times jarring but I thought the change in direction was a good move to avoid staleness setting in. Surprisingly moving ending too.

Pet Sematary - revisitation of a film I hadn't seen since my mid-teens. I'd forgotten how chilling and effective it is and what an excellent 'killer kid' movie is there under the misleading title. I should really read some Stephen King, or at least catch up on more adaptations of his work.

Kick Ass - watched again before going to see the sequel. Still a violent, foul-mouthed charm of a film. Chloe Grace-Moretz will never top this while Nicholas Cage channeling Adam West should be enough evidence to shut up his detractors once and for all. I love how the film starts off at street level comic book 'realism' and then ascends to the batshit-crazy heights of bazookas and jetpacks in the third act.

Kick Ass 2 - hmmm. A perfect example of how changing the creative team behind a movie works against it. It's not a bad film per se, just full of missteps which really spoil the experience (what amounts to an advert for an X Factor boyband's music video, a tedious Mean Girls subplot which removes Hit Girl from the majority of the film, an attempted rape scene which shows that the director can't do tasteless as adeptly as Matthew Vaughn and swearing and insults which lack the creativity of the original and just seem forced). The overall plot is fine and it is enjoyable but don't go in expecting anything like the first one. Jim Carrey was excellent and sadly under-used.

Double Exposure - giallo-lite thriller, itself a remake of The Photographer starring the lead actor playing a character with the same name. A photographer dreams he is murdering various women while the murders do actually take place. Is it actually him committing the crimes or could it be...blah blah blah. You get the idea. It's kinda fun, really loosely plotted and incredibly predictable but diverting enough. Likely to hold the dubious honour as the only film featuring a man with one leg and one arm mud wrestling with a sexy woman.

Attack of the Killer Refrigerator - saw this mentioned on Letterboxd and watched it on YouTube. It's just a 90's camcorder-filmed no budget short horror which does as the title suggests.

Hell of the Living Dead - Excellent slice of Italian exploitation. Pretty much a Dawn of the Dead rip-off with a bit of cannibal movies thrown in for good measure. Excellent soundtrack which was also even more excellent when used in Dawn of the Dead and Contamination and appallingly-poor and liberal use of stock footage. Bruno Mattei, I salute thee!

Home Sweet Home - I'm a sucker for home invasion movies as they really tap into a fear I have of personal space being invaded so thought I'd give this a go on Netflix. At times it's well shot (although the director gets more than his fair share of mileage from focus-pulls) but that's pretty much the only positive thing about it. There's no characterisation between the husband and wife, there's no motivation for the killer and there's very little dialogue in the whole thing. It's just a tedious cat-and-mouse film which repeats the same lazy plot points over and over again.

Messages Deleted - written by Larry Cohen this sees Matthew Lillard (remember him?) as a scriptwriter/lecturer who finds himself in the middle of a serial killer using his past work to commit his crimes. There's a load of meta-wankery with Lillard's character commenting on film structure and explaining how the events aren't like a script which would probably be fine if the film didn't resort to using cliches itself most of the time. That said, it's an enjoyable run-of-the-mill thriller with an ending that's really predictable and then a second ending which is just utterly baffling and too ambiguous to really care about deciphering.

The Wolf Man - classic Universal horror. Loved the effects. That is all

Derailed - Clive Owen and Jennifer Aniston start an affair which is quickly stopped when they are robbed and Aniston's character is raped in their hotel room by Vincent Cassel, in fine villainous form. Not wanting to go to the police for fear of their affair coming out Owen gets further and further involved in being blackmailed by Cassel, with life-changing results. This was on at about half 11 on a Friday night on BBC which is the perfect time for such things and is a film I'd seen before, nearer it's release date. It's not going to change anyone's life but it's a well enough written story to be engaging and even though it's directed with absolutely zero flair it holds the attention. Aniston's pretty good in it, playing largely against type and even though there's perhaps one twist too many it's highly recommended to fans of such thrillers.

Screamtime - anthology film where thieves steal VHS tapes then sit around watching them with the tapes they watch forming the 3 films of the anthology. Sound familiar? Unlike VHS this is actually really watchable with a ridiculous first and last story (a killer Punch from Punch and Judy, sinister garden gnomes and fairies) redeemed by the second one (a woman constantly having visions in her house which has an excellent and pretty chilling ending). For some reason the films are British (Adrian from Bread pops up) but the wraparound story is American. Good fun.

Diabolique - excellent film. Just excellent. The end might possibly seem predictable to modern eyes but this must have made a huge impact back in 1955. Chilling, eerie and with one of the creepiest scenes I've ever seen it's a must-watch. The Arrow Academy edition is lovely. Love the "no spoilers!" text at the end too!

The Creature from the Black Lagoon
- more classic Universal monsters. Superb transfer on the bluray too

nosferatu42 27th August 2013 01:04 PM

I remember seeing 'Screamtime' when it first came out on VHS years ago and watched it again on you tube a while back, low budget but like you say pretty creepy in places, i'd like a proper copy of this but its unlikely as no ones hardly heard of it.:pop2:

PaulD 27th August 2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 361472)
I remember seeing 'Screamtime' when it first came out on VHS years ago and watched it again on you tube a while back, low budget but like you say pretty creepy in places, i'd like a proper copy of this but its unlikely as no ones hardly heard of it.:pop2:

Yeah, I watched it on US Netflix. It looked VHS-quality to be honest

Wes 27th August 2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 361456)
Not had much time to watch films the last few weeks but still managed to get a few in when I can:

Excellent post Paul, really enjoyed it....

PaulD 27th August 2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 361513)
Excellent post Paul, really enjoyed it....

Thanks Wes!

Wes 27th August 2013 03:26 PM

I'm due a revisit of Basket Case, it's been years since I popped in the Something Weird DVD. For what it's worth I thought Brain Damage was really terrific, one of the best Horror films of the 80's...

Demoncrat 27th August 2013 04:25 PM

DPP double bill.....

Delirium aka Psycho Puppet (1979, Paul Maris aka Renato Polselli) Tawdry "vietnam vet-goes-ape" story with some slight recommends, ST interesting in places, some decent kills (for the time), and an odd attitude to feminism....overall proof that the VRA was just an form of Control....

Eaten Alive (Umberto Lenzi) Cough, first time with this. Very Boys Own in structure, I found. Very familiar some of it is as well ST wise cough. not enough chomping, and not as outright nasty as CH, CF et al. Will turn heads the next time someone says "recommend a xmas film then..." though :lol:

oh, and just to prove my point, I received some genuine Holocaust footage today....because "I'm into horror":rolleyes:....this chap thought a Fred Vogel film was real as well btw.....ah, civillians.......:laugh:

PaulD 27th August 2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 361530)
DPP double bill.....

Delirium aka Psycho Puppet (1979, Paul Maris aka Renato Polselli) Tawdry "vietnam vet-goes-ape" story with some slight recommends, ST interesting in places, some decent kills (for the time), and an odd attitude to feminism....overall proof that the VRA was just an form of Control....

Is that the one with the Mastermind theme?

SShaw 27th August 2013 05:18 PM

Another long day today, half way through already ...

100 Bloody Acres excellent Ozzie dark comedy

Grief Tourist or Dark Tourist as it now seems to be called. Really bad.

Son of Cain crap title for an effective Spanish thriller.

Odd Thomas Stephen Sommers latest is an adaptation of the novel, while it has a certain charm, it feels much more like a TV pilot

Last Days Everyone becomes agrophobic in this average Spanish apocopalypse thriller

SVHS Much improved sequel with ghosts, zombies and aliens, something for everyone?

Wes 27th August 2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 361531)
Is that the one with the Mastermind theme?

That reminds me of a Al Adamson's 1970 Western Five Bloody Graves uses the old theme music from ITV's News at 10, which is quite jarring...

In fairness, this bit of library music (called The Awakening) pre-existed the News At 10, but it's so synonymous with the news, when heard in the film it's quite odd. Plus Adamson drops in the music literally every five minutes or so...

here's a reminder...

ITN News at ten open 1970s - YouTube

dis 27th August 2013 06:01 PM

yep,screamtime.
the one with punch and judy,fairys in the garden and cant quite remember the other short?
saw this on e bay,but think its a vhs copy?
great 80s film if i remember correctly.
yeah,watched all the credits on the evil dead remake.
ash just says "groovy",not sure if theres a meaning?

trebor8273 27th August 2013 06:17 PM

Well supposed to be a new film coming 2014 not evil dead 4 but army of darkness 2 and the rumours of a film linking the old evil deals to the new movie.

troggi 27th August 2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 361558)
That reminds me of a Al Adamson's 1970 Western Five Bloody Graves uses the old theme music from ITV's News at 10, which is quite jarring...

In fairness, this bit of library music (called The Awakening) pre-existed the News At 10, but it's so synonymous with the news, when heard in the film it's quite odd. Plus Adamson drops in the music literally every five minutes or so...

here's a reminder...

ITN News at ten open 1970s - YouTube

I remember seeing another film with that music in it. It was so long ago that I can't remember much about it except;
  • 1. It was the supporting film to "The Terror of Mechagodzilla" so around 1975
  • 2. It was set on a desert island
  • 3. It had lots of underwater knife and net battles to the "News at Ten" theme, laughably!

Any ideas?

Wes 27th August 2013 07:57 PM

Was it Beyond Atlantis ?

Beyond Atlantis Trailer - YouTube

Nordicdusk 27th August 2013 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 118782

I went in to this only knowing i would love it or hate it i dont think there is any middle ground. I loved it right now i cant explain why but its been stuck in my mind since i watched it. I didnt really have any idea what was going on it was like a series of short films but i was captivated from start to finish. I loved the imagery Denis Lavant was great as Mr Oscar. Its hard to recommend this film as its really an acquired taste. The best way to watch this film is to know nothing about it so you can make up your own mind after you watch it rather than going in forcing yourself to sense of it.

Il will wait a while and re watch it again as im sure there is much more i missed first time around and it feels like a film filled with hidden images that a few revisits will be needed.

Make Them Die Slowly 27th August 2013 09:22 PM

No need to make up your own mind with this one GANGSTERS, GUNS AND ZOMBIES, I can do it for you(if the title hasn't already). Bollocks and not even soppy ones. That said most of the film is set in a van which I quite liked for some reason that escapes me. Perhaps it reminded me of 5 ACROSS THE EYES in which the camera never leaves the car in which the whole film is set. From most reviews of 5ATE, I'm guessing I am it's only fan.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th August 2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 361674)
From most reviews of 5ATE, I'm guessing I am it's only fan.

Its totally awful.

Vipp 27th August 2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 361674)
No need to make up your own mind with this one GANGSTERS, GUNS AND ZOMBIES, I can do it for you(if the title hasn't already). Bollocks and not even soppy ones.

HAHA! Brilliant.

Make Them Die Slowly 27th August 2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 361679)
Its totally awful.

What's not to like, 5 girls screaming for 90 minutes in a car.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th August 2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 361681)
What's not to like, 5 girls screaming for 90 minutes in a car.

I've been in too many taxis like that. :mmph:

nosferatu42 28th August 2013 12:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
'The skin i live in'

Attachment 118827

i must admit i've only seen a few Pedro Almodovar films, some of his others haven't appealed to me much, but i liked the sound of this one as i heard it had similarities to 'Eyes without a face' which is a magnificent film in my opinion.
I also own 'Matador' by the same director which is a film i also like.

'Skin' lived up to my expectations and was a film i found well acted, engrossing and thought provoking.:)

The feel of the movie is clinical, sparse but well designed, reflecting the lifestyle of Antonio Banderas's character, a radical plastic surgeon. (in some ways i was reminded of 'Dead ringers' as i watched the film).
Anyway I wont go into too much detail on what actually happens but i thought it was a creepy, well made film that takes a few unexpected turns ( the biggest one i didn't see coming at all :eek:).

In the film Banderas is operating on a woman who he keeps locked inside his clinic/home, and the story leaps back in time at various points to show us his past and how the present situation came to be.
Containing minimal gore ( i expected some because of the operations)it instead uses its twisted and twisting story to build up a sense of unease and disquiet in the viewer ( like 'Dead Ringers').
Recommended. 8/10

Although 'Dead Ringers' is better and gets 9/10 in my opinion. :pop2:

Boo Radley 28th August 2013 07:40 AM

Watched Code Red's The Police Connection (Mad Bomber) and was far more impressed with it than I thought I'd be.
For its age, the full frontal nudity, violence and themes are still jarring and controversial, the only person who knows what the bomber looks like is a rapist and you wouldn't believe the amount of rapists in this town!!
Now I could be wrong but I'm sure one of the rapists was Jamie Gillis (Forced Entry, Waterpower, etc) which made me lol!! :lol:

Delirium 28th August 2013 09:36 AM

Willow Creek -

The one and only film I saw at the Frightfest, I'm ashamed to say. I go every year, but this year due to funds tied up in a holiday and an - IMO - rather underwhelming line-up, I decided to be strict and pick one film. I chose this low key feature, relegated to the smaller discovery screen, directed by Bobcat Goldthwait - stand-up comedian and director of God Bless America and World's Greatest Dad, although most commonly known for his performance as 'Zed' from the Police Academy films.

It was so so. My two companions were more taken with it more than I was, as it's yet another found-footage film, closer tonally and stylistically to The Blair Witch Project, only given a Bigfoot spin. How much you buy into it will depend how much you still buy into the convention because, like TBWP, this eschews the manic energy of films like Rec or Evidence, and instead takes the minimalist approach: strange sounds in the night and disturbed campsites being two common motifs associated with the genre. What it does have going for it is a sense of humour and two likable leads who are a pleasure to be in the company of. And in fairness it proves that a single 18 minute or so shot of two people looking scared shitless in a tent as they listen to eerie sounds outside is still pretty unnerving.

Goldthwait hasn't done anything even remotely original with the format, but Willow Creek is not without its pleasures. It's not a bad film by any stretch, but the over-familiarity and complete adherence to genre conventions will no doubt result in direct to DVD obscurity, which is where it deserves to find its home. Still, as expected, he was a great raconteur and I enjoyed hearing him talk about the film as much, if not more, than the film itself. And I walked out of the screening only to meet Terry Gilliam outside and get an autograph, so a good afternoon was had.

SCM 28th August 2013 10:08 AM

Watched The Devil's Rain last night, surprisingly it was a decent film (especially if you want to watch Shatner scream like a girl) however it seemed a bit too much like The Devil Rides Out with a major dosage of pretentiousness (is that even a word?). The effects are what really made this film worth watching (melting faces)

trebor8273 28th August 2013 11:14 AM

Brides of Dracula

My second favourite hammer Dracula, great atmosphere and top notch acting and the ending using the windmill is a real highlight 9/10

The fog
Not much to say that people haven't said about this effective and chilling film, the shout factory release is miles ahead of the studio canel release in picture quality and we also have some great extras 9/10

Die Kreatur
Second part of this tv adaptation of Frankenstein , cracking acting and atmosphere with wonderful scenery and costumes and Luke goss is actually good as the monster and gives a very believable performance. 7/10

Brazil

Beautiful, weird and wonderful, Gilliam usual fantastic imagery. You help but feel for pryce character and the story has as much meaning now as it was when it was made. De Niro character was one of many highlights just a shame we saw so little of him. 10/10

Werewolf of London

Early universal werewolf film (1935) no where near as good as the wolfman but still better than a lot of so called werewolf movies of today. 7/10

House of usher

Another amazing job by arrow, don't think this film will ever look better. 9/10

Slippery Jack 28th August 2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 361707)
Willow Creek -

The one and only film I saw at the Frightfest, I'm ashamed to say. I go every year, but this year due to funds tied up in a holiday and an - IMO - rather underwhelming line-up, I decided to be strict and pick one film. I chose this low key feature, relegated to the smaller discovery screen, directed by Bobcat Goldthwait - stand-up comedian and director of God Bless America and World's Greatest Dad, although most commonly known for his performance as 'Zed' from the Police Academy films.

It was so so. My two companions were more taken with it more than I was, as it's yet another found-footage film, closer tonally and stylistically to The Blair Witch Project, only given a Bigfoot spin. How much you buy into it will depend how much you still buy into the convention because, like TBWP, this eschews the manic energy of films like Rec or Evidence, and instead takes the minimalist approach: strange sounds in the night and disturbed campsites being two common motifs associated with the genre. What it does have going for it is a sense of humour and two likable leads who are a pleasure to be in the company of. And in fairness it proves that a single 18 minute or so shot of two people looking scared shitless in a tent as they listen to eerie sounds outside is still pretty unnerving.

Goldthwait hasn't done anything even remotely original with the format, but Willow Creek is not without its pleasures. It's not a bad film by any stretch, but the over-familiarity and complete adherence to genre conventions will no doubt result in direct to DVD obscurity, which is where it deserves to find its home. Still, as expected, he was a great raconteur and I enjoyed hearing him talk about the film as much, if not more, than the film itself. And I walked out of the screening only to meet Terry Gilliam outside and get an autograph, so a good afternoon was had.

I was at that screening, on the back row! Pretty bonkers when Gilliam walked in during Bobcat's introduction. :lol: Like you, I found the film painfully average and over-familiar. I was expecting some kind of clever genre subversions from the director based on his past work . . .

Delirium 28th August 2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 361722)
I was at that screening, on the back row! Pretty bonkers when Gilliam walked in during Bobcat's introduction. :lol: Like you, I found the film painfully average and over-familiar. I was expecting some kind of clever genre subversions from the director based on his past work . . .

We could have said hello! I'm wondering if monkey pedro will say he was there too, as I'm sure I recognised him from his avatar pic. But I'm shy, so didn't say anything in case I was wrong and ended up looking like a fool.

I'm probably being kinder on the film than it likely deserves as I really like Goldthwait and want to give his first horror feature a break, but it really didn't stray outside the box once, did it? Still, his zombie foetus idea sounds like a winner! :lol:

Slippery Jack 28th August 2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 361731)
We could have said hello! I'm wondering if monkey pedro will say he was there too, as I'm sure I recognised him from his avatar pic. But I'm shy, so didn't say anything in case I was wrong and ended up looking like a fool.

I'm probably being kinder on the film than it likely deserves as I really like Goldthwait and want to give his first horror feature a break, but it really didn't stray outside the box once, did it? Still, his zombie foetus idea sounds like a winner! :lol:

I was all on my lonesome too, so would've been good to have someone to chat to about it afterwards! Yeah I was a big fan of World's Greatest Dad, and there was a lot of good will there for this. But the enthusiasm slowly ebbed away over the course of the film. You could tell from his intro and Q&A that Goldthwait isn't a big genre fan, and it showed. Very much a horror film from someone who hasn't seen that many. But yeah, I'll go and watch Ankle Biters :lol: . . .

monkeypedro 28th August 2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 361707)
Willow Creek -

I was also at this screening and really wanted to like the movie more as a massive fan of Bobcat and his movies but i am getting a little tired of the found footage genre but i certainly enjoyed it more than most due to the likeable characters and humour.
It was certainly better than all the movies i saw at Frightfest that day except for Cheap Thrills which was bloody great.

I will say he is one of the nicest celebrities i have had the pleasure to meet. I spoke to him on the opening night and he even asked for my name and offered to reserve a ticket for me to the screening as seats were limited as only shown in a small screen.
Plus meeting Terry Gilliam and getting a photo opportunity with him was an unexpected bonus.

Slippery Jack 28th August 2013 01:29 PM

D'oh! Three of us in one room and no meetup :doh: . . .

Delirium 28th August 2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeypedro (Post 361733)
I will say he is one of the nicest celebrities i have had the pleasure to meet. I spoke to him on the opening night and he even asked for my name and offered to reserve a ticket for me to the screening as seats were limited as only shown in a small screen.
Plus meeting Terry Gilliam and getting a photo opportunity with him was an unexpected bonus.

I actually got Bobcat to sign my copy of God Bless America, as I love that film, and he was indeed charming. He said "No one in America has seen this film", which is more than a slight exaggeration I'm sure (it's on Netflix for god's sake, and my blu is a US release) but I can imagine the scathing social critique wasn't as well received over there.

troggi 28th August 2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 361624)
Was it Beyond Atlantis ?

Beyond Atlantis Trailer - YouTube

Wes, you're a genius! To be able to find that from the sketchy details I gave shows an encyclopaedic knowledge of dodgy films. I tip my hat to you, "Guru of the B movie!"

Make Them Die Slowly 28th August 2013 07:57 PM

EVIL ALIENS...perhaps the only film that exists or will ever exist with both The Wurzels and the Beast Himself, The Master Therion...Aleister Crowley on the soundtrack. It's worth watching for that mind frazzling audio weirdness alone.

Wes 28th August 2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 361828)
EVIL ALIENS...perhaps the only film that exists or will ever exist with both The Wurzels and the Beast Himself, The Master Therion...Aleister Crowley on the soundtrack. It's worth watching for that mind frazzling audio weirdness alone.

Well, I'm intrigued... is this the same bit of audio that turns up on a thousand DIY Industrial tapes ?

troggi 28th August 2013 08:05 PM

"Happiness of the Katakuris" (2001)
Takashi Miike's musical extravaganza featuring unfortunate deaths, song and dance undead and a Great Grandfather with an unerring aim! If I could find any sense in this film I wouldn't love it half as much. There are times in life when it is best to just let go with the belly laughs, watching "Happiness of the Katakuris" is one of those times. 18/10 for the errant nephew of our Queen!

"Clive Barker's Book of Blood" (2009) Good ideas, well acted, good story, decent dialogue, very good visual and audio effects, so what's missing? Damned if I know but it left me flat even though it seemed the ideal choice of film for 03:00 in the morning. 10/10 for Robin Hood's chin and winkie!

"The House by the Cemetery" (1981)
Someone needs to give that kid a lollipop or something to really whine about. Maybe the reason he won't shush is that they've told him that he's George Osborn's love-child. 15/10 or 19/10 if they manage to sacrifice the blonde kid!

Make Them Die Slowly 28th August 2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 361830)
Well, I'm intrigued... is this the same bit of audio that turns up on a thousand DIY Industrial tapes ?

It's "I've got a brand new combine harvester". Is that big in the industrial scene?

PaulD 28th August 2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 361831)
"The House by the Cemetery" (1981)
Someone needs to give that kid a lollipop or something to really whine about. Maybe the reason he won't shush is that they've told him that he's George Osborn's love-child. 15/10 or 19/10 if they manage to sacrifice the blonde kid![/SIZE][/FONT]

It's a truly appalling choice of dubbing on him isn't it? I rwwtzhed A Blade in the Dark yesterday and he crops up at the start too. He's in a few Italian horror/exploitation films.

Wes 28th August 2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 361832)
It's "I've got a brand new combine harvester". Is that big in the industrial scene?

It was until false idols like Nine Inch Nails moved in and killed it for me...