Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th January 2011, 08:32 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I thought Slumdog was massively overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I just watched The Dead Next Door and cannot believe how enjoyable and admirable such a cheap film could be - shot on Super 8 stock!!!

Very impressed, I liked it a lot.

There's no mistaking Bruce Campbell's voice is there! I watched the film not knowing of Raimi and Campbell's involvement, but the moment the character of "Raimi" spoke I knew it had to be Bruce Campbell dubbing the voice!
A lot of people trash this, but I really like it too.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 7th January 2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Two posts in as many minutes
Old 7th January 2011, 09:13 PM
Cultist

Axe (aka California Axe Massacre) - Quite harmless, especially these days, and not nearly as good as I was expecting. Bit of a letdown really, truth be told.
Old 7th January 2011, 11:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Watched the Exorcist (the longer 132 min re-release version) earlier on blu, it was actually the first time I had seen it since the 1998 cinema re-release (when my sister took me at the tender age of 13 )...

Had forgotten some of the plot, e.g. the start in Northern Iraq. I remember it left quite an impression on me back then and is still really powerful today as a whole. Some of the things Linda Blair comes out with whilst possessed are (still) rather hard not to laugh at but overall the film works brilliantly thanks to Friedkins direction, Blatty's script, the cinematography and wonderful actors.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 8th January 2011, 01:59 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Another five hour train journey today so watched Polanski's The Tenant. I'm still pondering whether it's just a descent into madness, something more spiritual/ghostly or a combination but I'm inclined to go with the former and simpler explanation. Great film nonetheless.

After that, I had to lighten the mood and all I had with me was The Usual Suspects. I've watched it so many times now and still love it but I wish I could go back to that first time..
Old 8th January 2011, 10:48 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I recorded Robocop on Syfy HD the other day and just got round to watching it last night. Well what can I say, I saw this film many years ago when I was 14 I think and couldn't remember much of it, but knew I enjoyed it. Watching it again now I just couldn't believe how amazing this film actually is. I mean, I've always known it to be a good 80's violent action film which obviously did well enough to obtain 2 sequels and a TV series, but seeing it with fresh eyes made me appreciate just how good a film this really is.
I don't often post on here or do many reviews but Robocop captivated me and inspired me to express my opinion on here. So much so that I even started writing notes on a pad whilst was watching it just so I could remember what to say. I only decided to quickly take a glance at it around about midnight, just before I was ready to go to bed, I was intrigued to see how it looked in HD (it's good by the way) and that was it, I was hooked and it gave me a 2 hour burst of energy to keep me up to see it through.

I'm just going to list the positives that I noted throughout

Great use of a subtle alternative 80's era, futuristic but still oh so 80's!
Stood the test of time too, still as shocking and effective now as I'm sure it was many years ago.
Had some fantastic fake 80's adverts thrown in the mix for great comical effect, I was in stitches watching that trailer for the Nukem game (pure genius!)
Great stunt work and action sequences, gory and violent. All that was missing was a bit more nudity really
What impressed me the most though was the fantastic direction and absolutely wonderful cinematography that I just didn't expect to see.

As you can tell, I loved it. I think I'm going to have to buy the Trilogy on Blu-ray now. I wasn't so fussed before but if the sequels are half as good as the first one then I think I'll still be a happy man

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html

Last edited by antmumford; 8th January 2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 8th January 2011, 10:51 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The satirical aspects of Robocop are easy to overlook when you're a kid just wanting some action, but there is a lot going on there! Great film.
Old 8th January 2011, 10:52 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
As you can tell, I loved it. I think I'm going to have to buy the Trilogy on Blu-ray now. I wasn't so fussed before but if the sequels are half as good as the first one then I think I'll still be a happy man
Oh dear, while Robocop 2 is a worthy sequel imo, you're going to be disappointed with the 3rd film. It's almost as bad as the tv series!

Last edited by Stephen@Cult Labs; 8th January 2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 8th January 2011, 11:01 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Oh dear, while Robocop 2 is a worthy sequel imo, you're going to be be disappointed with the 3rd film. It's almost as bad as the tv series!
Haha! I was about to post the same thing, actually!

The second one is generally quite under-rated I think: not a bad sequel at all. I had the misfortune to see the third at the cinema (a press screening, I didn't pay!) and for most of it I had my mouth agape in disbelief! Not good!
Old 8th January 2011, 11:10 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Haha! I was about to post the same thing, actually!

The second one is generally quite under-rated I think: not a bad sequel at all. I had the misfortune to see the third at the cinema (a press screening, I didn't pay!) and for most of it I had my mouth agape in disbelief! Not good!
Oh well, cheapest I could find it online was about £22. I'll just think of it as paying £11 each for the first two, the crappy third one thrown in for free for the hell of it. Simples!

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 8th January 2011, 11:13 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Oh well, cheapest I could find it online was about £22. I'll just think of it as paying £11 each for the first two, the crappy third one thrown in for free for the hell of it. Simples!
True...and you may well get some kitsch lols out of the third one!

Like this? Share it using the links below!