Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

bleakshaun 16th April 2015 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 444873)
That is a great film! i love H.S.T, he was a great writer. :)

I love his work too. But at college it was kind of the goto film while getting stoned. God that was a big mistake on my part :shocked:

Demoncrat 16th April 2015 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 444137)
I have the same disc. Odd wee thing isn't it?

AAnyway....Watched Eclipse (David Slade, 2010). Or tried to. Why might you ask?? My next blog will answer all cough.......

American Gothic (1987, John Hough). Hey, let's go on holiday......While this has been reviewed elsewhere, I felt I had to put in my tuppence worth....Mama Munster and Mr Joyboy have three "kids". They have been brought up "proper". Tough luck on the hapless group who make a forced landing on their island then......Somewhat thematically linked with The Slayer (features someone recently traumatised and in no shape to go on a break imo), this is an oddity, played straight mostly, as modernity comes a poor second to the good, old gawd fearing ways of the 20s.Still don't see why it had to have an 18 rating though....unlike....

Witchcraft (Fabrizio Laurenti, 1988?). The Hoff as a free spririted photographer? Linda Blair encased in maternity wear? It must be Witchery!! Interesting to watched in this multi media age, as a disparate group are stranded on a island due to foul play. so with nae GPS or iWombs in sight, they are literally stranded. Sadly so is this film, straddling betwixt all out gore (lips sewn together in close up ouch!) and a non existant atmosphere of "otherworldiness". Reminds me of various 80 AOR videos. Don't ask why.

Blog now up....don't judge me too harshly cough...;)

Nordicdusk 16th April 2015 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 444848)
Took my new Cannibal Holocaust blu up to my cave last night for a quick browse of the quality and features. Was already gone midnight but i ended up watching the whole film. Brilliant, I'd only seen it twice prior on an old poor vipco dvd and then the Australian Deluxe dvd. The transfer on the Grindhouse Release blew me away and really improved the film for me.
That said am i the only one that doesn't find this film aywhere near as shocking as its rep suggests?

When I watch these films I try put myself in the era they were released and see it through the eyes of someone watching it then. By today's standards it make appear tame but when this was released first I'm sure it was horrifying to people.Very little shocks now because we are used to seeing death on the news and internet.

Demoncrat 16th April 2015 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 444883)
When I watch these films I try put myself in the era they were released and see it through the eyes of someone watching it then. By today's standards it make appear tame but when this was released first I'm sure it was horrifying to people.Very little shocks now because we are used to seeing death on the news and internet.

Wasn't this Deodato's reason for the film in the first place?
Personally there is still something unpleasant about the film for me, which was the point I believe. Just saying!

Nordicdusk 16th April 2015 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 444898)
Wasn't this Deodato's reason for the film in the first place?
Personally there is still something unpleasant about the film for me, which was the point I believe. Just saying!

Now that I think of it that was exactly the point of the film :blush:

I was just trying to to make the point and badly I might add that I understand people watching it now for the first time may not be shocked by it because of how modern society is. The film is no walk in the park and still gives me a grimy feel.

Demoncrat 16th April 2015 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 444904)
Now that I think of it that was exactly the point of the film :blush:

I was just trying to to make the point and badly I might add that I understand people watching it now for the first time may not be shocked by it because of how modern society is. The film is no walk in the park and still gives me a grimy feel.

I can only retell the tale of when a mate appeared at my door clutching CH. Which he had never seen. Obligingly I stuck it into the VHS player, and off we went.....about the time of the turtle scene, another mate turned up....eating a hamburger....since I had stopped the tape for the interruption, I went to make another brew, and then stuck the film on again...now I've heard people say that they've gone "green" at something unpleasant...but this genuinely made him change colour, though he didn't rush to the toilet or anything spectacular....after it had finished I then stuck on Targets (1968)..which has quite a nasty opening scene....to which hamburger matey said "don't you have any nice films?"

Something that still makes me laugh to this day.

Nordicdusk 16th April 2015 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 444906)
I can only retell the tale of when a mate appeared at my door clutching CH. Which he had never seen. Obligingly I stuck it into the VHS player, and off we went.....about the time of the turtle scene, another mate turned up....eating a hamburger....since I had stopped the tape for the interruption, I went to make another brew, and then stuck the film on again...now I've heard people say that they've gone "green" at something unpleasant...but this genuinely made him change colour, though he didn't rush to the toilet or anything spectacular....after it had finished I then stuck on Targets (1968)..which has quite a nasty opening scene....to which hamburger matey said "don't you have any nice films?"

Something that still makes me laugh to this day.

:pound:

Buboven 16th April 2015 09:38 PM

Late Phases (2014)

Well this was a surprise!

A very original and dare say it, profound, take on the werewolf film. Great acting by a very complex and interesting main character.

In fact I think this has become my fav werewolf film ever, I would defo recommend other members on this forum check this one out.

9/10. :clap:

So annoyed that there doesn't appear to be a Region 2 blu of this, only a DVD. Seems that this happens to so many other great and not so great recent horror films! :censored:

Vipp 16th April 2015 10:11 PM

The Signal - (Won this dvd from Cult Labs recently)
A bunch of mates hack into various government agencies but are constantly chased by a user called 'Nomad' no matter how fast these guys manage to hack a place 'Nomad' is waiting and usually with a photo of them on thier laptops doing the hacking... well 'Nomad' gives them coordinates and tells them to meet him/her and things go a little wrong. they meet at a house at night time, the house is very much like the house in 'The blair witch' it's dark and the two male friends go into the home only to hear thier third friend (the girl) scream, they race through the darkness to get back to the car just in time to see her body fly vertically up into the night sky...

The three actors are young but can act, i blooming ditest young actors that have no idea that acting is more that a symetrical face, orange skin and a well maintained phisique. but these guys do a great job, the movie is matched very nicly with a super stylish soundtrack, it reminded me of a band called the antlers, sort of classical music but modern in style, very nice indeed, then laurence fishburne turns up and makes the movie double in awesomeness.

in short the film is about aliens, our three have been abducted and wake up in quarenteen, fishburne is a detective trying to work out where they have been but all is not what it seems. are they on earth and in quarenteen or are they still with little green men pretending to be agents?

Watch this movie is you enjoy sci-fi along the lines of The Maze Runners and the Hunger Games. Nothing major here folks but even hardened Sci-Fi film fans may not see the twist at the end of this flick. highly reccomended for a sunday afternoon watch. :)

The Great Outdoors (Netflix UK)
I love John Candy and don;t mind Dan Aykroid so i thought this would be a good flick but man i was wrong. Terrible editing and a deperate attempt to condense a john hughes style story arc and a lampoons comedy into one film. it doesn't work at all. Candy goes on a vacation to find his brother-in-law (Aykroid) has followed him, uninvited of course. Candy bites his lip and puts up with the terrible disaterous events that his brohter-in-law puts him thourgh untill the pay of at the end of the film when candy tells him where to stick it. mean while a tedious and sometimes risky love story 'of sorts' begins between the oldes son and a town girl. it seem massily innapropriate and some of the situations they have the young actress in are questionalble in todays society.

avoid it, Candy has better to offer and the film is dull and sometimes offensive.

gag 17th April 2015 12:36 AM

Fathers day.
Everything about this film was rubbish, the film, acting, dialogue, but after all what do you expect from Troma, so bad their good but at times you cant decide if you like or disliked it. After all if you go into a troma film expecting anything more then clearly your dillusional and dont know much about Troma films. The way the film was made and the feel of it and tones of colour would give you the expressions it was a 80s throw back and not something thats been made quite recentish. But certain parts made you feel like you was watching. Another one of the A U films
Troma have made so many films and have a cult statues im actual surprised there isnt a channel on sky dedicated to just troma films etc.

bleakshaun 17th April 2015 02:03 PM

Today's.viewings.
The Toxic Avenger 2:
So I loved the 1st one. The second one not as good as the first one. But still an enjoyable film. The moment toxic went to Japan was enjoyable and the dubbing was terrible. But in saying that it was still entertaining.

Class of Nuke Em High:
Yes that's right more Troma. This time the plot centres around a high school and a nuclear power plant. I don't know why but I thought this movie was amazing. The cretins were what made it so good.

tele1962 17th April 2015 02:10 PM

Interstellar,

Wow what a ride, well thought out and acted. Gripping from start to finish IMO and is worthy of repeat viewings. PQ & AQ were excellent.

Vipp 17th April 2015 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 445128)
Interstellar,

Wow what a ride, well thought out and acted. Gripping from start to finish IMO and is worthy of repeat viewings. PQ & AQ were excellent.

I keep hearing awesome things about this film, it's about time i watched it me thinks. :nod:

SharonLynette 17th April 2015 09:02 PM

A good old school friend is staying over as we're off on a day trip tomorrow so I'm treating her to some classic cinema with The Room and Samurai Cop, let the awkward sex scenes commence.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL15.../411123248.jpg

Make Them Die Slowly 17th April 2015 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 445169)
A good old school friend is staying over as we're off on a day trip tomorrow so I'm treating her to some classic cinema with The Room and Samurai Cop, let the awkward sex scenes commence.

I'm confused, are you watching films or having sex? Either way have a great night!

antmumford 17th April 2015 09:28 PM

Quote:

Will your awkward sex scenes be filmed for our perusal?

SharonLynette 17th April 2015 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 445174)
I'm confused, are you watching films or having sex? Either way have a great night!

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 445175)
Will your awkward sex scenes be filmed for our perusal?

I knew that would be picked up on yet I chose not to rephrase, no and no but I swear her bum just touched mine!

Buboven 17th April 2015 11:04 PM

Antz (1977) VHS-Rip youtube

Hilarious 70's animal attack TV-movie cheesiness - Not the same years Empire of The Antz. Has some familiar faces including that lady who can't herself from shouting Bastard!!!!!!! at the top of her longs, Lynda Day Gorge and the lovable Brian Dennehy as the incompetent fire chief.

My fav scene, when a helicopter the chief calls in blows the pesty critters onto onlookers :lol:

6/10

Make Them Die Slowly 17th April 2015 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 445192)
I knew that would be picked up on yet I chose not to rephrase, no and no but I swear her bum just touched mine!

You make it sound like your friend's bum is independent of her. Is it after your elongated tail bone?

SharonLynette 17th April 2015 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 445205)
You make it sound like your friend's bum is independent of her. Is it after your elongated tail bone?

I think it is, she keeps moving a lot!

Make Them Die Slowly 17th April 2015 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 445206)
I think it is, she keeps moving a lot!

Tricky, feral bums can be a real nuisance. I would say pin it down and beat it into submission. You have to show them who is in control.

Vipp 18th April 2015 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buboven (Post 445200)
Antz (1977) VHS-Rip youtube

Hilarious 70's animal attack TV-movie cheesiness - Not the same years Empire of The Antz. Has some familiar faces including that lady who can't herself from shouting Bastard!!!!!!! at the top of her longs, Lynda Day Gorge and the lovable Brian Dennehy as the incompetent fire chief.

My fav scene, when a helicopter the chief calls in blows the pesty critters onto onlookers :lol:

6/10

HAHA! brilliant review mate.

Nordicdusk 18th April 2015 08:51 AM

Quote:

In all the sexual confusion no one noticed the demon cat lurking in the background :lol:

tele1962 18th April 2015 09:00 AM

Mothers Day (88 Films).

Thought this one was great, acting and story were really quite well done. PQ was generally very good. All in all a great package.

SharonLynette 18th April 2015 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 445221)
In all the sexual confusion no one noticed the demon cat lurking in the background :lol:

No, you win a prize for keeping your eyes and mind on cat.

Make Them Die Slowly 18th April 2015 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 445224)

Nordy the gentleman,who would have thought.

I will have to shake myself down and up my game if there are prizes to be won.

Nordicdusk 18th April 2015 01:06 PM

You calling me a gentleman has ruined any chance of me making a joke now :crying:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th April 2015 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 445221)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 445224)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 445225)
Nordy the gentleman,who would have thought.

I will have to shake myself down and up my game if there are prizes to be won.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 445242)
You calling me a gentleman has ruined any chance of me making a joke now :crying:

He's no gentleman. He just thinks of pussy 24/7. :whip:

Nordicdusk 18th April 2015 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 445262)
He's no gentleman. He just thinks of pussy 24/7. :whip:

:pound:

Buboven 18th April 2015 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 445215)
HAHA! brilliant review mate.

Thx mate!

Make Them Die Slowly 18th April 2015 03:08 PM

High above the rabble in her palace of feline power, Sharon looks down on the dogs as they debase themselves fighting for scraps. Her simple use of one word, having set the honey trap...

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th April 2015 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 445273)
High above the rabble in her palace of feline power, Sharon looks down on the dogs as they debase themselves fighting for scraps. Her simple use of one word, having set the honey trap...

One word? She needs to learn from you. :nod:

All your posts drip with eroticism. :whip:

Nordicdusk 18th April 2015 03:49 PM

A gentleman does not concern himself with such things. :lol:

Make Them Die Slowly 18th April 2015 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 445274)
One word? She needs to learn from you. :nod:

All your posts drip with eroticism. :whip:

Don't think so, most of my posts just involve insulting you, Nordy and Ron but if that's what floats your boat, go for it.:tongue1:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th April 2015 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 445280)
Don't think so, most of my posts just involve insulting you, Nordy and Ron but if that's what floats your boat, go for it.:tongue1:

Well that just goes to show what a terrible influence you are. You make Ron change his identity every two years and have turned Nordy into a very confused redneck. :wise:

Nordicdusk 18th April 2015 03:55 PM

Insults are sometimes mistaken for flirting.;)

:lol:

Make Them Die Slowly 18th April 2015 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 445283)
Insults are sometimes mistaken for flirting.;)

Are you trying to get me to pull your pigtails at playtime Nordy?

Bringer Of Funerals 18th April 2015 04:03 PM

High Plains Drifter last night on TV.

It was the 1st time I had seen this film and considering everyone said it was strange I thought I would give it a watch.

I did enjoy the film a lot and the violence in it was realistic unlike the John Wayne shoot bad guys and they don't bleed. Others have said it's a prequel to PALE RIDER, I haven't seen that yet, but I did enjoy HIGH PLAINS DRIFER and would buy it on BLU.

:gangster:

Nordicdusk 18th April 2015 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 445286)
Are you trying to get me to pull your pigtails at playtime Nordy?

Insult or flirting :confused:

dis 18th April 2015 04:44 PM

hi guys, yesterday I re watched f13th part 4.
not the best, but still enjoyed it.
I did notice something I never noticed before!
when Jason breaks robs rifle, you can actually see a figure, obviously Jason, walking away.