Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179484Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st June 2011, 07:50 PM
Cultist

i know it isnt a film, but am currently watching my treasured bootleg dvds of the MAX HEADROOM show.........took me years to get them, and so glad i did.
Old 1st June 2011, 09:36 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

My son and I have just finished watching the first Johnny Weissmuller Tazan box set. There's some wild stuff in there for a PG rated set, brief full frontal nudity, stabbings with pre CGI animated blood, children doing stunts that wouldn't even be considered today for adult lead actors and elephants fighting lions whilst above them in the trees apes fight tribesmen! Ungawa!
bdc and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.
Old 1st June 2011, 09:45 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Blimey -- I bet it was a bit of an eye-opener for both of you!
Old 1st June 2011, 10:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
My son and I have just finished watching the first Johnny Weissmuller Tazan box set. There's some wild stuff in there for a PG rated set, brief full frontal nudity, stabbings with pre CGI animated blood, children doing stunts that wouldn't even be considered today for adult lead actors and elephants fighting lions whilst above them in the trees apes fight tribesmen! Ungawa!
That is an excellent set, have you got set 2?. The adventures involve Nazi's and mermaids and are nearly as good as the first set, all that lets it down is the departure of Maureen o' Sullivan as Jane. Brenda Joyce is not quite as good in the role.
Old 1st June 2011, 10:09 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Just finished watching The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue. This flick is sure one of a kind and amongst the greatest of the Zombie genre. Well, things that I loved include:
- One badass leading actor - with fantastic dubbing!
- One cop - who is even more badass.
- One leading lady, presented the way a woman in a horror movie should be presented - a) She is sexy and b) She gets the shit scared out of her all the time.

Other things to praise:
- The flick's very moody.
- It contains great cinematography.

Well, I stop here. I could mention more things, but you get the general idea. Really fantastic, that little spanish/italian flick!

Greetings!

PS: Nos, you were right about the BU Blu - the quality of this release is really outstanding!

PPS: Yeah, I have to mention one other thing: the gore in the last thirty minutes is quite enjoyable, too.
Old 1st June 2011, 10:53 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Blimey -- I bet it was a bit of an eye-opener for both of you!
They certainly weren't how I remembered them from when I was a kid. My son who is three is now a massive Tazan fan and likes to watch the films in his underpants with a plastic knife shoved through the waist band. I'm tempted to join him.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 1st June 2011, 10:56 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
That is an excellent set, have you got set 2?. The adventures involve Nazi's and mermaids and are nearly as good as the first set, all that lets it down is the departure of Maureen o' Sullivan as Jane. Brenda Joyce is not quite as good in the role.
I've still got to pick up the second set. Boy and I are presently working our way through the animated Conan series, so maybe after that.
Old 2nd June 2011, 10:37 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
They certainly weren't how I remembered them from when I was a kid. My son who is three is now a massive Tazan fan and likes to watch the films in his underpants with a plastic knife shoved through the waist band. I'm tempted to join him.
... and it would be at that point one of your neighbours would knock on the door or perhaps a policeman wondering if you'd seen anything suspicious in the area!
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:32 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten View Post
i know it isnt a film, but am currently watching my treasured bootleg dvds of the MAX HEADROOM show.........took me years to get them, and so glad i did.
you do know that that came out recently officially??
Max Headroom: Complete Series DVD 1989 Region 1 US Import NTSC: Amazon.co.uk: Sharon Barr, Victor Lobl, Maurice Phillips, Thomas J. Wright, Janet Greek, Farhad Mann, Francis Delia, Tommy Lee Wallace: Film & TV
Old 2nd June 2011, 02:13 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

because i have become ridiculously excited for Super 8, i decided to revisit E.T last night, and while the 20th anniversary release is good, i can't help but feel cheated by the cheapness of some of the new CGI fx, but it's still a wonderful film and almost had me in tears...damn you Spielberg and you sentimental family movies....

Like this? Share it using the links below!