Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th September 2015 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Agnosia (2010)

Joana Prats suffers from agnosia, a strange neuropsychological illness that affects her perception. Although her eyes and ears are in perfect condition, her brain cannot interpret the stimuli she receives through them.

Well this took me by surprise. I was expecting either a ghostly horror film on the lines of The Orphanage or psychological thriller ala the excellent Julia's Eyes. What unfolded onscreen was something completely different. Agnosia is a dark romance crossed with a scam involving industrial espionage at the end of the 19th century. There's no horror aspect whatsoever.

This Spanish film looks superb and boasts fine cinematography and is nicely played by all concerned. What let it down was the story itself. I never felt involved with it nor was i ever gripped. As far as i could tell the espionage angle was never resolved and the film seemed to meander to a stop. Perhaps i should give it another viewing? I doubt it!

Zann 28th September 2015 07:52 PM

Blastfighter

Laughable dialogue. Questionable dynamic between daughter and estranged father. Music that starts then oddly and abruptly ends. Enjoyable nonsense and a great looking BD.

J Harker 28th September 2015 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 462964)
Blastfighter

Laughable dialogue. Questionable dynamic between daughter and estranged father. Music that starts then oddly and abruptly ends. Enjoyable nonsense and a great looking BD.

Funny enough I've just watched this myself. Some of the dialogue is just atrocious! Brilliant film though.

davcol 28th September 2015 11:10 PM

Alien Terror : found this one hard to sit through. Very slow and dull in places, almost gave up. The ending was quite effective however.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 29th September 2015 10:22 AM

John Savage stars as the sociopathic sexually repressed Terry Lambert, who on being released from prison on a rape charge into the care of his over-bearing mother starts to murder his way through the local town's female population.

The thinnest of plots is overcome by a stellar cast and a rather grimy vein of sleaze running throughout as with each flashback or kill we start to build up a picture of Terry. Ann Sothern puts on a good performance as Terry's lonely, coddling mother who is a little too attached to her son for comfort at times... however, it is Savage's intense performance which really makes the film stand-out above similar exploitative fare of the era and in turn makes for a pretty enjoyable time.

Originally posted here: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/gen...tml#post462982

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 29th September 2015 11:12 AM

A drive-in staple of the '70s, The Legend of Boggy Creek is a dramatized documentary style film concerning the big foot phenomenon.

Sadly, it's enough to make you fall asleep in your popcorn, although I suppose in some ways it's the perfect drive-in date movie as an otherwise dull 90 minutes can instead be filled with certain other more fulfilling activities...

Originally posted here: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/gen...tml#post462987

trebor8273 29th September 2015 05:45 PM

What Films Have You Seen Recently?

16 Attachment(s)
Attachment 170526

I've not been engrossed in a film from the get go for a long time. Which is strange as you could never call this a good film, but it has some weird charm, it's disjointed the story's and acting is all over the place. Reminded me of a cross between house by the cemetery and the bogey man. It's 80 mins flew by with none stop kills and gore. This film is really up 88 films ally and hope that them or someone else might bring it to blu ray9/10

Attachment 170527
Attachment 170528
Attachment 170529
Attachment 170530
Attachment 170531
Attachment 170532
Attachment 170533
Attachment 170534
Attachment 170535
Attachment 170536
Attachment 170537
Attachment 170538
Attachment 170539
Attachment 170540

Edit
About to watch this anyone seen it?

Attachment 170547

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th September 2015 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 463008)
About to watch this anyone seen it?

I've got it Treb. It's nowhere near as good as you hope it'll be. It's ambitious but a piss poor budget and risible performances let it down.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 29th September 2015 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 463036)
I've got it Treb. It's nowhere near as good as you hope it'll be. It's ambitious but a piss poor budget and risible performances let it down.

Pretty much this. :nod:

keirarts 30th September 2015 07:15 AM

Blastfighter

After the Kubrick marathon pretty much anything else would have been a weird experience but this Italian First blood knock off, incorporating elements of Deliverance, Deer hunter and other survivalist films was something else. The plot is essentially straight forward, an ex-cop fresh out of Jail for killing a scumbag who murdered his wife heads out to his old home town to live a life of seclusion. Pretty soon he runs afoul of his old rival and his gang of redneck drunks who are busy deforesting the trees and killing off all the deer. Shit comes to a head when our heroes daughter comes to town and the rednecks go too far and pretty soon its all out war!
directed by Lamberto Bava this is one of those films that epitomises later era Italian schlock cinema with terrible dialogue, bad dubbing and plenty of violence. Like a lot of films of this era its also a whole lot of fun. Pretty much guaranteed to only ever bore people who are already dead, this is an entertaining, taught thriller with plenty of great action and George Eastman as a villain!

trebor8273 30th September 2015 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 463036)

yep this. 5/10 for effort, with a bigger budget and better actors it might of been something special

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 30th September 2015 08:19 PM

PLEASANTLY surprised by the remake of TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN.

A worthy addition to the slasher genre!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4o_bFGFSKc

Rik 30th September 2015 08:26 PM

Me too, I watched it the other week on Netflix, I'd buy it if it wasn't DVD only over here :nod:

iank 30th September 2015 09:20 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing it, but lord know when it'll be out here, and I'm done blind buying. ;)

sjconstable 30th September 2015 11:01 PM

The Martian (2015) - 7/10

Not as good as Interstellar, but better than Gravity.

Vipp 1st October 2015 02:42 PM

I've been super busy with boring stuff but finally managed to get a movie in the other day - Society (via YouTube) - I wasn't sure about the movie, the trailer didn't give much away but of got a faint scent of wickerman style conspiracy from the trailer and just couldn't stay away.

I enjoyed the film, i'm not sure i'd buy it unless arrow put out a normal blyray edition, its's not the best movie ever but worth a watch even if it's just to witness a man being turned inside out via his anus...

The most surprising thing in this movie was the 'mother' of one of the 'society' members, a large man in drag who said nothing, a great addition to the movies bizarre cast of you ask me and well used in such a short space of time, it was almost like seeing Leatherface as a young teenager before he moved to the country side. haha.

Vipp 1st October 2015 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 462898)
[B][COLOR="Yellow"]
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...blu-ray_11.jpg

This is the best Alice in Wonderland I have ever seen, bold statement I guess but in my mind accurate. In fact the best film I've seen in a LONG time. I pre-ordered this BFI bluray and have had it on my watch pile since, just waiting for the right time. Had I'd known it was so good I would have watched it 3 years ago hah... It's a surreal experience but so is the book it's based on. I was surprised how scary and creepy it was, I expected it to be before watching it, but the first 30 mins or so are funny and Alice is so naughty that the change in tone kind of crept up on me until it was full Lynchian terror for a few minutes culminating in the scene on the screenshot above. If you've not seen this version of Alice in Wonderland, give it a try you might be surprised, I was!

I'm thrilled to see another Jan Svankmajer fan on the forum, I can't recommend enough that you try out his version of Faust OR for lighter viewing try his version of 'Little Otik' both films are just fantastic. I love Svankmajer so much i flew to Prague to visit his private gallery (and to prepose to the other half). This BFI Alice is a fine release too. :)

Demoncrat 1st October 2015 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 463174)
I'm thrilled to see another Jan Svankmajer fan on the forum, I can't recommend enough that you try out his version of Faust OR for lighter viewing try his version of 'Little Otik' both films are just fantastic. I love Svankmajer so much i flew to Prague to visit his private gallery (and to prepose to the other half). This BFI Alice is a fine release too. :)

Little Otik!! Can I just say that there are at least 3 Svankmajer fans here cough;)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st October 2015 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 463175)
Little Otik!! Can I just say that there are at least 3 Svankmajer fans here cough;)

Make that four!

Vipp 1st October 2015 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 463175)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 463176)
Make that four!

This is brilliant, this forum really is full of great folks. :nod:

sjconstable 1st October 2015 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 463174)
This BFI Alice is a fine release too. :)

I have a distracting problem with that Blu-ray, and don't know if it's just my setup. Loads of the lines of dialogue make an unpleasant crackle, but I've not seen it mentioned anywhere online. I presume you haven't experienced this with yours?

Bringer Of Funerals 1st October 2015 04:21 PM

Promethious, but I couldn't hear it because it was low with Lexi being asleep and all I could hear was Claire's gob talking to me.

Boo Radley 1st October 2015 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 463189)
Promethious, but I couldn't hear it because it was low with Lexi being asleep and all I could hear was Claire's gob talking to me.

Welcome to the next 16 years of your life!! :lol:

Bringer Of Funerals 1st October 2015 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boo Radley (Post 463192)
Welcome to the next 16 years of your life!! :lol:

I hope not :headache:

J Harker 1st October 2015 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 463198)
I hope not :headache:

Fraid so mate.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st October 2015 04:50 PM

I sounds like you need to invest in some decent wireless headphones!

Bringer Of Funerals 1st October 2015 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 463199)
Fraid so mate.

Nooooo :computerfix:

J Harker 1st October 2015 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 463173)
I've been super busy with boring stuff but finally managed to get a movie in the other day - Society (via YouTube) - I wasn't sure about the movie, the trailer didn't give much away but of got a faint scent of wickerman style conspiracy from the trailer and just couldn't stay away.

I enjoyed the film, i'm not sure i'd buy it unless arrow put out a normal blyray edition,

They have put out a regular edition Vipp, http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/ind...product_id=575

Justin101 1st October 2015 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjconstable (Post 463179)
I have a distracting problem with that Blu-ray, and don't know if it's just my setup. Loads of the lines of dialogue make an unpleasant crackle, but I've not seen it mentioned anywhere online. I presume you haven't experienced this with yours?

I didn't notice any crackles, but I was watching it on the bedroom tv rather than in the living room through the amp!

Justin101 1st October 2015 05:29 PM

It's been a bit quiet on the film watching front this week, but I watched some Kenneth Anger films from his Magick Lantern Cycle blu, notably Fireworks, Scorpio Rising and Rabbit's Moon, all of which I loved! I went into these films totally blind all I knew was that Scorpio Rising is on pretty much every single 'Best Cult Films' so I thought I'd look. I'll watch the rest when I get a chance.

Last night, on Sky Movies I watched Tim Burton's Big Eyes. Again other than the fact that Cristoph Waltz was in it I didn't really have any idea what this film was, and having now watched it I feel it's probably the straightest film Tim Burton has ever made, apart from a few fantastical scenes it's a proper biopic. Amy Adams was really charismatic as Margaret Keane, the painter who is coerced into keeping quiet while her husband takes all the credit for the artwork and makes them millions of dollars in the process. I loved it!

And now, 1st of October my month of horror films starts, I'm going to try and watch one horror film a night until Halloween, I know in advance that I can't do this every day due to other commitments such as concerts, and unbelievably a concert on Halloween! I'm going to do my best though and will possibly do two a day some days to make it up to 31. I've not decided on film #1 yet, but it might be Drag Me To Hell!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st October 2015 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 463215)
I've not decided on film #1 yet, but it might be Drag Me To Hell!

Personally I wouldn't waste my time with that one, but I look forward to hearing about what you watch regardless! :pumpkin:

Justin101 1st October 2015 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 463223)
Personally I wouldn't waste my time with that one, but I look forward to hearing about what you watch regardless! :pumpkin:

I'm doing a 'you pick one, I pick one' thing with my flat mate, he loves that one and I've never seen it! It's only fair if I'm going to have him watching Fulci and Argento by the end of the month haha

Frankie Teardrop 1st October 2015 07:12 PM

Thin gruel recently, in a way. Wait 'till my copy of 'Alien Beasts' arrives.

BYZANTIUM – Quite liked this hazy but downbeat tale of runaway vamps slumming it beside the seaside. That's the ever seedy and down-at-heel English seaside by the way, which is always a good emblem for our weirdly sexy social rot. But I think someone should do something set in Bridlington or Filey, rather than just Hastings. My mind conjures a vastly expanded and perverse 'Everyday Is Like Sunday', but 'Byzantium' has enough of an intriguing way about it – the gothic past slithers into a threadbare present, austerity-style Britain cops noirish licks whilst dallying with Twilight-esque teen romance (I guess), bits of gore do battle with a rather serious man's Sunday Supplement version of fantasy-with-subtext. I've enjoyed many a Neil Jordan flick over the years – this might not be among his more... erm, I struggle for an adjective, but 'pensive but edgy but kind of genteel' maybe sums it up... works perhaps, but then neither was 'Company Of Wolves', which I enjoyed immensely and which this kind of took me back to.

THE REDWOOD MASSACRE – Some youthful guys and gals do a bit of camping in The Scottish Woods and end up as the prey of an angry dude with a scarecrow mask. I was drawn to 'The Redwood Massacre's seeming promise of being direct to DVD poundshop gold – actually, screw that, that sentiment sounds like bollocks now I've verbalised. OK, I was expecting (or hoped in vain for) gore, utter cheapness, the abandon of no-budget trash pissing its poverty over the clay feet of Hollywood idols... I got a bit of that, I suppose. It IS pretty gory, and they get a lot of mileage out of one effect (typically, an axe to the back) being played out ad infinitum. But it has much by way of drag, clunk and cringe. And too, the bad is the wrong kind of bad. It comes off as being.... all a bit stodgy. There are good points – a dip into the killer's past, where he laughs like a made up comedy maniac whilst killing his entire family. Maybe there's more good stuff besides, but I felt a little weary, watching this at three in the morning and wondering what to drink next.

BOUND – Really liked this neo-noir twister from those guys who made 'The Matrix' (which I hated. Actually, I can't even say that, as I've never even fully sat through it). It draws on the arch charisma of Gina Gershon and Jen Tilly as lovers who tangle with Mafia sleaze... there's plenty of head play and gritty sourness to make up for the happy ending. I've seen it a few times over the years, and it kind of grows on me. Nostalgia for the mid-nineties? Don't say that, it makes me feel so old and wretched! But there it is. Anyway, this is cool, like the barrel of a colt 1911 against your cheek in the night.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st October 2015 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Halloween Resurrection (2002)

Set three years after the events of Halloween H20. Laurie Strode is in a psychiatric hospital with Michael Myers still on the loose. Although seen as a way to write out Jamie Lee Curtis from the rest of the film and any upcoming movies this opening fifteen minutes is actually the best part of Resurrection. Curtis does well with her few scenes and the final pay off is actually quite touching. The same cannot be said for the rest of the film as events move to Haddonfield, Illinois, and we focus on a group of college students who are to star in an online reality show where they spend the night in Michael Myers childhood home. Unfortunately for them it is the night he comes home.

And so this is where it all begins to unravel and we soon realize this isn't really a Halloween / Michael Myers film after all but a bog standard slasher movie attempting to draw viewers in by using the craze of reality tv as a selling point. Myers adds nothing to proceedings and at times it feels like the Busta Rhymes show. Yes Busta Rhymes the rap star, but from this evidence definitely not Busta Rhymes the actor. Perhaps i'm doing him a disservice here as the script does Rhymes no favours whatsoever, and it's certainly not a prejudice against US rap singers as i thought LL Cool J came over pretty decent in previous film Halloween H20. The rest of the cast, including soon to be Starbuck Katee Sackhoff, Sean Patrick Thomas, Thomas Ian Nicholas and Tyra Banks, unfortunately fair no better although Sackhoff's decapitated head bouncing down the stairs adds amusement value.

Another annoying factor is Resurrection completely ignores anything that happened in films 4,5, and 6, thus effectively making them non-canon. It's difficult to say why producer Moustapha Akkad would do this as they were all his films as well and each one of them a far better proposition than this extremely disappointing effort.

Zann 3rd October 2015 06:55 AM

Welcome to New York

Beautiful looking film about a mucky little bugger. This movie looks stunning and Depardieu is fantastic in it. Found it quite apologetic in a way...insofar as the hookers literally keep turning up through a revolving door at such a rate he finds it impossible to tell the difference (not sure if this was Ferrara's intended reading?!)

Demoncrat 3rd October 2015 12:56 PM

Watched Solarbabies (1988, Alan Johnson)

Nice to see Durning playing a sympathetic character for once. Odd mix of The Glitterball and The Rollerblade 7 (I wish :pound:) which I will certainly revisit.

J Harker 3rd October 2015 07:37 PM

Watching Nightmare On Elm Street the original. Does anyone else have the UK blu boxset??
Was hoping someone could have a check of their disc for me. At 39:13 my disc glitches and jumps to 39:40.
Wonder if I've got a faulty disc or is it a known error.

Rik 3rd October 2015 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 463474)
Watching Nightmare On Elm Street the original. Does anyone else have the UK blu boxset??
Was hoping someone could have a check of their disc for me. At 39:13 my disc glitches and jumps to 39:40.
Wonder if I've got a faulty disc or is it a known error.

I watched it a few weeks back and it definitely didn't do that, maybe the disc needs a clean (unless it's happened before that is)

J Harker 3rd October 2015 08:22 PM

First time I've actually watched it properly Rik. Disc is spotless. I'll try it downstairs on the PS3 in a bit. I've had it too long to do anything about now as well.

iank 3rd October 2015 09:38 PM

Warlock. An evil warlock condemned to hang in the 17th century gets whisked away by an unnatural tornado that lands him in 20th century America. Sadly for him, he's not alone, because the witch hunter that caught him in the first place has tagged along for the ride and together with a young city girl cursed by the warlock is out to defeat his nemesis once and for all - before he unlocks the secret to destroying all of creation! Julian Sands is an effectively icy villain and Richard E Grant and Lori Singer have great comic chemistry as the mismatched duo out to bring him down in this hugely enjoyable tongue-in-cheek fantasy-horror. An absolute blast from start to finish and a total 80s classic!
"Over my rotting corpse!" :lol: