Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th October 2015 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 466098)
Hopefully get to watch that tomorrow night will post my thoughts.

Watch it now...Keirarts would! :nod: ;)

trebor8273 26th October 2015 08:00 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Attachment 171682

9/10

Attachment 171683

6.5/10

Attachment 171684

8/10

Attachment 171685

8.5/10

Attachment 171686

8.5/10

Attachment 171687

7/10

Attachment 171688

7.5/10

Nordicdusk 26th October 2015 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 466099)
Watch it now...Keirarts would! :nod: ;)

:lol:

I conceded to him along time ago :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th October 2015 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 466101)
:lol:

I conceded to him along time ago :lol:

No wonder. He's now watched it and trying to flog it on Amazon for £299. :happy:

Zann 26th October 2015 08:19 PM

Pasolini

Magnificent looking film but not a patch on Welcome to New York. Found myself getting bored and glad of the 84 minute runtime.

sjconstable 26th October 2015 09:51 PM

SPECTRE (2015) - 8.5/10

A bit too long and loses its pacing in the middle, but ends spectacularly and is a great end to a trilogy (QoS doesn't exist to me). It's wonderful seeing a classic '60s style Bond film made in the present, and it has one of the best fist-fights of the series along with GoldenEye and From Russia with Love. Despite Daniel Craig's disparaging comments, he completely inhabits the role and never looks like he's just acting, or that he's bored.

keirarts 26th October 2015 10:42 PM

Tenderness of the wolves

Given the utter dreck that Uli Lommel seems content to shit out these days it's difficult to believe that at one point he was a film-maker capable of turning out something genuinely great. Here Arrow deliver exhibit A to prove he can with a film produced by the legendary Reiner Werner Fassbinder an early mentor with whom Lommel learned much of the craft.
Based on the real life case of Fritz Haarmann, knows as the vampire of Hanover it depicts the day to day life of a serial killer with a surprising amount of restraint. The film switches betweens his social circle, all of who know something is up but don't want to say anything and Haarmann, played to perfection by Kurt Raab, wandering the streets of Hanover eyeing up potential victims. We don't get to see that many murders, a lot is implied and suggested in a way that when a killing finally occurs its actually pretty shocking, and presented in an almost matter of fact way. Raab also wrote the film and did set design and his depiction of Haarman is chillingly believably contrasting an almost cherubic round face with an unsettling intensity behind the eyes that's reminiscent of Peter Lorre. In fact in several places the film even harks back to M and the opening scene of a shadow walking down a street over the credits is very expressionist influenced.
Tenderness is a film worth checking out, its almost infuriating that Lommel couldn't deliver anything nearly as good after moving to America as its clear he had talent. Arrow's blu-ray looks fantastic.

keirarts 26th October 2015 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 466103)
No wonder. He's now watched it and trying to flog it on Amazon for £299. :happy:

My beloved Blind dead coffin has pride of place on my shelf. I wouldn't part with it for less than .....£500! ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th October 2015 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 466127)
My beloved Blind dead coffin has pride of place on my shelf. I wouldn't part with it for less than .....£500! ;)

This was the first horror dvd i ever bought (I think!) in 1998.

Unfortunately it made the coffin redundant for me so i had to pick up the individual AB releases for the other two.

keirarts 26th October 2015 11:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 171693

I caved and bought this soon as I saw it, didn't regret it. Incidentally, anyone who doesn't own this its under £30 on marketplace.

The Blind Dead Collection DVD 2005 Region 1 US Import NTSC: Amazon.co.uk: César Burner, Tony Kendall, Maria Perschy, VÃ*ctor Petit, Lone Fleming, Esperanza Roy, Jack Taylor: DVD & Blu-ray

MacBlayne 27th October 2015 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 466126)
Tenderness of the wolves

Given the utter dreck that Uli Lommel seems content to shit out these days it's difficult to believe that at one point he was a film-maker capable of turning out something genuinely great. Here Arrow deliver exhibit A to prove he can with a film produced by the legendary Reiner Werner Fassbinder an early mentor with whom Lommel learned much of the craft.
Based on the real life case of Fritz Haarmann, knows as the vampire of Hanover it depicts the day to day life of a serial killer with a surprising amount of restraint. The film switches betweens his social circle, all of who know something is up but don't want to say anything and Haarmann, played to perfection by Kurt Raab, wandering the streets of Hanover eyeing up potential victims. We don't get to see that many murders, a lot is implied and suggested in a way that when a killing finally occurs its actually pretty shocking, and presented in an almost matter of fact way. Raab also wrote the film and did set design and his depiction of Haarman is chillingly believably contrasting an almost cherubic round face with an unsettling intensity behind the eyes that's reminiscent of Peter Lorre. In fact in several places the film even harks back to M and the opening scene of a shadow walking down a street over the credits is very expressionist influenced.
Tenderness is a film worth checking out, its almost infuriating that Lommel couldn't deliver anything nearly as good after moving to America as its clear he had talent. Arrow's blu-ray looks fantastic.

Yeah, what the hell happened to Lommel? While The Bogey Man is no classic, it demonstrated technical competence. But since then, and especially since the turn of the millennium, he has made cheap, nasty dreck. Curse of the Zodiac was abysmal. There's no hint of a greater talent buried within his films nowadays. It's rather depressing, to say the least.

J Harker 27th October 2015 09:27 AM

Blood and Black Lace, watched this the other night in a rare two films in one night hoorah.
While i have quite a few of Mario Bava's films this is only the third one I've actually watched.
I enjoyed it but i did find the whole fashion house thing a bit blah. I need to watch it again as while its not complicated it was late and i found a lot of the characters looked similar.
Like the other Bava films I've watched it looks bloody gorgeous though.

Frankie Teardrop 27th October 2015 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 466141)
Yeah, what the hell happened to Lommel? While The Bogey Man is no classic, it demonstrated technical competence. But since then, and especially since the turn of the millennium, he has made cheap, nasty dreck. Curse of the Zodiac was abysmal. There's no hint of a greater talent buried within his films nowadays. It's rather depressing, to say the least.

He has turned out an endless procession of horrible dreck which has amounted to nothing much. But I do like some of them - vid cam efforts like 'The Raven' have a really scrambled, low brow surrealism about them. On the other hand, 'Tenderness...' was made under the auspices of a legendary control freak, so you wonder how much of it was actually his.

Justin101 27th October 2015 09:44 AM

I think film critics all agree that Tenderness is essentially a Fassbinder film.

keirarts 27th October 2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 466152)
I think film critics all agree that Tenderness is essentially a Fassbinder film.

I dunno, Stephen thrower makes a great case for Lomell on the Blu-ray...

trebor8273 27th October 2015 07:28 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Attachment 171700

While not quite as good as the first it's still a lot of fun, for a film with so many main characters they all get equal amount of screen time and story. The fight between ironman and the hulk is one of the highlights as is James spades performance as Ultron. Also sets things up for marvels phase 3. Only real downside was "quicksilver" who was just ultra annoying. 8/10

Attachment 171701
Attachment 171702
Attachment 171703
Attachment 171704
Attachment 171705
Attachment 171706
Attachment 171707

demonknight 27th October 2015 07:47 PM

Old 37;

For a movie that featured Bill Moseley and Kane Hodder; I certainly didn't see a whole lot of Bill Moseley or Kane Hodder. The trailer caught my eye, initially; but the movie itself, didn't do a whole lot for me. A total waste of two fine horror actor's.

Vipp 27th October 2015 08:03 PM

Guys this was a few pages back but i didn't respond as i was attending 'The school of Keirarts: How to review the shit out of the Halloween series and make fourm users want to buy the set!'

After re buying a ton of Halloween on Feebay i had time to respond to a few comments a few pages back -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 465907)
Personally i think My Bloody Valentine is excellent. Suspenseful and full of great kills.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 465908)
Me too, much better than the original :nod:

Guys i don;t know what to say about this, the film looked like a dud but having said that you must remember that my all time top movie is Dawn of the Dead and most folks think that's wank. Haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 465915)
Personaly i think we need more writers like Stephen King where their imagination is of the wtf scale.
Because if we didnt have people like him so many films wouldnt be made
I mean what normal mind would think of Human centipede.?
David cronenberg a prime example especialy with films like videodrome.
Or some of the j horrors
Personally imo todays film writers etc are lacking these people imagination and we need someone to come along and make something new and fresh, yes occasional get odd films that comes along, but if we had more like them then we wouldn't have to rely on reboots, remakes, and.? V? Because lets be fair the film industry is running out of ideas for something new and fresh. And is churning out the same old rubbish.

Gag i love your replies but mate if you think Stephen King is a good representative of an 'Original' Writer i think we have a disagreement. I like King's work and hopefully that was reflected in my review of 'Thinner' but he isn't revolutionizing the world of literature in the same way that best selling singer Katy Perry isn't revolutionizing the world of song writing. selling lots of stuff doesn't always mean you are peddling something unique. I agree that we should encourage all writer and film makers to push the boundaries, Bryan Fuller's Hannibal is incredible and you won't find a man who loves Thomas Harris's original stories more than me. As for human centipede, there's no argument that would make me want that releasing, some things don;t need to be seen and that is one of them. But again i understand freedom of expression so i wouldn't protest human centipede but it sure would make me re think your invitation to my wedding if i knew you owned it on dvd. HAHAHA!

Mate you're brilliant and i'm just happy anyone actually read my reviews so thanks for the feedback. :)

J Harker 27th October 2015 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 466217)
Guys i don;t know what to say about this, the film looked like a dud but having said that you must remember that my all time top movie is Dawn of the Dead and most folks think that's wank. Haha.

Who the hell thinks Dawn of the Dead is wank???!!

Vipp 27th October 2015 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 466218)
Who the hell thinks Dawn of the Dead is wank???!!

HAHAHAHA! J i love your responses. I think a few people on the forum don;t worship the movie like i do, maybe 'wank' was a poor word to use. lol.

J Harker 27th October 2015 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 466219)
HAHAHAHA! J i love your responses. I think a few people on the forum don;t worship the movie like i do, maybe 'wank' was a poor word to use. lol.

...wait, we are talking about the remake right??

Vipp 27th October 2015 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 466220)
...wait, we are talking about the remake right??

No mate, i don't worship the Re-make, I'm talking about the original. :) Didn't it come quite low on the top 100 horror movies poll we did recently?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 27th October 2015 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 466221)
No mate, i don't worship the Re-make, I'm talking about the original. :) Didn't it come quite low on the top 100 horror movies poll we did recently?

Yeah, I'm not a massive fan of Dawn.

Easily the weakest of Romero's original 'Dead Trilogy' for me.

J Harker 27th October 2015 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 466221)

I've no idea. Have to confess while i love Romero's Dawn i actually do prefer the remake...[emoji16]
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 466222)

Agreed, Night is the best and one of my favourite films. Day dares to take the subject seriously in a decade of silly. Dawn has it's moments. It is undeniably iconic, the ideas are on point. But it's too long, social commentary is too blatant and the characters aren't terribly likeable. (Sorry Vipp)

Vipp 27th October 2015 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 466224)
I've no idea. Have to confess while i love Romero's Dawn i actually do prefer the remake...[emoji16]

Agreed, Night is the best and one of my favourite films. Day dares to take the subject seriously in a decade of silly. Dawn has it's moments. It is undeniably iconic, the ideas are on point. But it's too long, social commentary is too blatant and the characters aren't terribly likeable. (Sorry Vipp)

Mate what just happened! i thought you were on side! HAHAHA! I told you folks here think that movie is wank! HAHA! I understand what you guys are saying but i just adore that film.

J Harker 27th October 2015 08:45 PM

Its far from wank mate. In the pantheon of supposed classics it take a good hefty piss from on high on say...The Exorcist...

Vipp 27th October 2015 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 466226)
Its far from wank mate. In the pantheon of supposed classics it take a good hefty piss from on high on say...The Exorcist...

I haven't seen the full film yet but this halloween i'm joining in the Fetch Publicity tweet a long and one of the three films is the Exorcist! so i will know better once i sit through the full film. :woot:

J Harker 27th October 2015 08:56 PM

I only watched it first time myself last year. I thought it was a mess.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th October 2015 09:18 PM

Jurassic World.
Surprised how enjoyable it was!

Nordicdusk 27th October 2015 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 466234)
Jurassic World.
Surprised how enjoyable it was!

I really enjoyed it plenty of nods to the original good stuff.

J Harker 27th October 2015 09:23 PM

Given the whole training raptors thing should have been utter bollocks they actually pulled it off.

Nordicdusk 27th October 2015 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 466236)
Given the whole training raptors thing should have been utter bollocks they actually pulled it off.

That was my big concern before going to the cinema to see but it worked pretty well.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th October 2015 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 466222)

The weakest of the first four if you ask me. I do love Land of the Dead though. It's one of my 'feelgood' films.

J Harker 27th October 2015 09:53 PM

I remember liking Land, not seen it since the cinema though. I enjoyed Diary too.
Turned Survival off after 15mins or so though.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th October 2015 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 466248)
I remember liking Land, not seen it since the cinema though. I enjoyed Diary too.
Turned Survival off after 15mins or so though.

The first time i saw Survival i loved it and wondered why it had such a bad reputation. The second time i tried (note the word tried) i understood.

J Harker 27th October 2015 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 466250)
The first time i saw Survival i loved it and wondered why it had such a bad reputation. The second time i tried (note the word tried) i understood.

Probably something to do with that cabinet you mentioned. [emoji6]

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th October 2015 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 466255)
Probably something to do with that cabinet you mentioned. [emoji6]

There's a pic now. :nod:

Vipp 27th October 2015 10:32 PM

I love Dawn then Day then Night, his other zombie films went from terrible to shockingly bad. I have always had a soft spot for Tom Savini's Night of the living dead too.

J Harker 27th October 2015 10:45 PM

I take it you're not a fan of Zach Snyders remake then Vipp?

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th October 2015 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 466299)
I take it you're not a fan of Zach Snyders remake then Vipp?

I don't think it's bad at all. :peep: