Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

J Harker 27th October 2015 10:57 PM

You've got a cupboard full of whisky, what do you know!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 28th October 2015 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 466305)
I don't think it's bad at all. :peep:

I like it too. I think it's as good as the original - sometimes (whisky permitting ;)) even better! :D

keirarts 28th October 2015 06:41 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz6KOsePEHs

Just watched this, not a film but interesting viewing.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th October 2015 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 466229)
I haven't seen the full film yet but this halloween i'm joining in the Fetch Publicity tweet a long and one of the three films is the Exorcist! so i will know better once i sit through the full film. :woot:

I want to take part in that, but probably won't because I hate distractions when watching The Exorcist. If you crank up the sound, put off the lights and give it your all, it makes the viewing experience much better.

Other films, such as horror-comedies, are a different matter.

Vipp 28th October 2015 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 466299)
I take it you're not a fan of Zach Snyders remake then Vipp?

I didn;t hate it but i wouldn't buy it on blu-ray, i have a dvd copy. I liked looking out for the nods to the original film. too much hammy American acting for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 466341)
I want to take part in that, but probably won't because I hate distractions when watching The Exorcist. If you crank up the sound, put off the lights and give it your all, it makes the viewing experience much better.

Other films, such as horror-comedies, are a different matter.

I don't mind throwing a few tweets out if it means my favorite forum gets a few more followers, every tweet i send to the big companies like Warner and so on i always ad a cult labs and once that cult labs has been re tweeted by a giant it can be seen by a lot of folks and that is my goal, if i raise awareness of this awesome place it will attract more people that i can bitch at for not thinking Dawn of the dead is the bees knees! :)

They are also playing 'The lost boys' and 'The Conjouring' on the same night mate if you fancy just saying hello for part of it. i'm
@vipp1990

Frankie Teardrop 29th October 2015 06:02 AM

HOUSE OF THE DEVIL – This insidiously creepy slow-burn comes from nouvelle horror brat-packer Ti West. I've seen it a few times over the years and have ended up with slightly diminishing returns, but there's no doubt that it manages to conjure a sinister atmos during its mid-section. A hard up student tries to make some quick cash with a babysitting gig at an isolated house. If you're babysitting for Mary Woronov and creepy guy out of 'Manhunter', you only have yourself to blame. Slightly grating tonal shift at the climax remains a problem for me, but I really like the way 'House Of The Devil' creates an oppressive sense of presence using obvious but well managed cinematography (lingering, odd POV shots etc etc).

SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT – Bit off season, but I came across it again the other day and had to see it. 'Silent Night, Deadly Night' is a fairly lean, nasty slasher which gets under its misanthropic way with no nonsense economy and delivers some mean spirited thrills. About a dude who turns killer after seeing his folks being offed by a highwayman dressed as santa, only to end up in an abusive orphanage run by an arsehole, peevish nun. Some lip smacking little vignettes ie the bit with his deranged, bitter gramps. Hurtles along with its slay-bells ring ding a dinging in a highly sardonic manner but still manages to play it straight, even when it antlers Quigley.

BIRDS OF PREY – From the prolific Cardona Jr, 'Birds Of Prey', or 'Beak' as it is sometimes known, treads the well worn riotous nature path. Man's environmental bollocks has driven some birds to scenes of ineffectual homicide, and it's up to a of pair globe trotting reporters who resemble moribund pop duo 'Dollar' from 1982 to sort it all out. Has a lot to recommend it in the badness department, with shitty dialogue doing battle with shitty everything, up to and including hang-glider impalement soundtracked by some people who actually sound like 'Dollar' (or at least are moribund and eighties). Lots of unintentional laughs, but has a contemptuous attitude towards its avian buddies which might stick in the throat if you're not a rabid admirer of animal death. Otherwise, worth catching on cheapshit DVD.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th October 2015 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 466405)
I don't mind throwing a few tweets out if it means my favorite forum gets a few more followers, every tweet i send to the big companies like Warner and so on i always ad a cult labs and once that cult labs has been re tweeted by a giant it can be seen by a lot of folks and that is my goal, if i raise awareness of this awesome place it will attract more people that i can bitch at for not thinking Dawn of the dead is the bees knees! :)

They are also playing 'The lost boys' and 'The Conjouring' on the same night mate if you fancy just saying hello for part of it. i'm
@vipp1990

I'll definitely join in with The Lost Boys and The Conjuring, especially the former, because I can 'half watch' those, whereas I have to give The Exorcist 100% of my attention. That said, I'll probably tweet before and after.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 29th October 2015 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 466405)
'The lost boys'

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 466449)
The Lost Boys

No swearing please.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th October 2015 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 466454)
No swearing please.

Wait until I get stuck into the film on Twitter!

Dave Boy 29th October 2015 10:46 AM

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/0d...e9379b3a45.jpg
BOYS OF THE CITY (Monogram 1940)

Poverty Row film featuring the East Side Kids. Production values look pretty good considering this a cheepie! The boys get tangled up in a spooky old mansion when a murder takes place. Some good creepy moments such as a ghost in the cemetary and all the scenes featuring the housekeeper. The boys are contantly shouting around and it gets quite loud and a pain in the arse at times and I did not find it funny really but clocking in at just over an hour it's a good program filler.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th October 2015 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Black Cat (1934)

Horror doesn't get much better than The Black Cat. This landmark achievement was the first to double bill Karloff and Lugosi and it's debatable whether either have ever bettered themselves. Lugosi is so sympathetic, never resorting to the hammy style that would blight his later work. Boris Karloff on the other hand has never portrayed evil so magnificently. His performance as the satanist Poelzig is perhaps more Crowley than Poe but it's a performance of pure menace.

From an aesthetic point of view the film is a triumph. From the superb direction of Edgar G Ulmer, to the stunning classical score to the extraordinary Art Deco set design and all topped off by some of the most notorious censor baiting potency of the 30's - torture, drugs, necrophilia, and the final, almost poetic, skinning sequence.

The Black Cat is an eerie, nightmarish masterpiece.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th October 2015 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 466510)

the final, almost poetic, skinning sequence.

Surely one of the most violent and sadistic scenes ever committed to celluloid.

Dave Boy 30th October 2015 11:12 AM

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/aa...b72e689abc.jpg
THE APE (MONOGRAM 1940)

Dr Boris Karloff wears the skin of an escaped ape to murder people for their spinal fluid. The fluid is an experiment, which when injected into a girl will enable her to walk again.....
The appearance of Boris in this Poverty Row horror makes this stand tall above other cheap horrors.

Mojo 30th October 2015 06:45 PM

SS EXPERIMENT CAMP
Sadistic experiments on ( mostly female ) prisoners abound in this entry in the Nazisploitation genre. Needless to say, none of these experiments make any sense, but are used as an excuse to throw in plenty of gratuitous nudity.
One of the many things I like about 88 Films Italian Collection is their willingness to unleash previously unavailable ( or rare ) movies like this on blu ray.

THE BLACK CAT
Regarded as one of Fulci's lesser efforts, I've always had a soft spot for this one. Watching it again on Arrow's truly stunning blu ray, makes me appreciate it even more. It's beautifully photographed and directed and has a wonderful soundtrack too. Rapidly becoming one of my favourite Fulci flicks.

harryd 31st October 2015 02:22 PM

Just watched Westworld and Hands of the Ripper today. I don't think there's much I could say about Westworld that's not already been said but it certainly lived up to it's hype.

Hands Of The Ripper was also pretty good and quite gruesome for a Hammer horror. I have the Synapse version for reasons I'm not quite sure of when there's a perfectly decent looking UK release out there. Oh well!

I'm pretty worn out so gonna stick on Nemesis now. Can't say I'm looking forward to it too much but I guess I'm not so bothered if I fall asleep halfway through :lol:

MacBlayne 31st October 2015 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryd (Post 466734)
I'm pretty worn out so gonna stick on Nemesis now. Can't say I'm looking forward to it too much but I guess I'm not so bothered if I fall asleep halfway through :lol:

Is that the Albert Pyun Nemesis?

harryd 31st October 2015 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 466735)

That's the one!

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st October 2015 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 466735)

I like that. :nod:

MacBlayne 31st October 2015 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 466741)
I like that. :nod:

Nemesis is like a live-action 80s anime. Especially if you see it in it's original 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st October 2015 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 466742)
Nemesis is like a live-action 80s anime. Especially if you see it in it's original 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

I just have it on an old dvd.

harryd 31st October 2015 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 466743)
I just have it on an old dvd.

It was actually pretty good to be fair. This is the 101 Films blu ray which is in 1.78:1 so apparently not the original aspect ratio? Either way it's a decent enough release, picture quality is good except I noticed at one point it went a little pixelated for about 10 seconds or so..not sure if that's my pc doing it though.

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st October 2015 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryd (Post 466752)
It was actually pretty good to be fair. This is the 101 Films blu ray which is in 1.78:1 so apparently not the original aspect ratio? Either way it's a decent enough release, picture quality is good except I noticed at one point it went a little pixelated for about 10 seconds or so..not sure if that's my pc doing it though.

No idea i'm afraid.

My dvd is from Prism Leisure and quite ancient.

MacBlayne 31st October 2015 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryd (Post 466752)

Sorry, I'm wrong. It's 1.85:1. Pyun's Mean Guns is 2.35:1.

J Harker 31st October 2015 05:55 PM

Is Mean Guns the same film as Gunmen?

MacBlayne 31st October 2015 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 466767)
Is Mean Guns the same film as Gunmen?

No. Mean Guns is where Ice-T invites a load of assassins (including Christopher Lambert) to an abandoned prison and has them kill each other for a few million dollars.

Gunmen has Lambert's smuggler(?) and Mario Van Peebles's DEA agent team up to find a deceased drug lord's hidden cash pile. It's a fun, yet surprisingly grim, buddy comedy.

iank 31st October 2015 08:41 PM

Halloween II. Picking up directly after the events of the original, Laurie (Jamie Lee Curtis) is taken to hospital as Dr Loomis (Donald Pleasance) and the local police continue their hunt for escaped maniac Michael Myers. But Myers hasn't finished with Laurie just yet... Enjoyable sequel that starts strong, wavers a little in the mid-section but rallies for a final half-hour that's genuinely exciting and scary. Classic stuff. :)

J Harker 31st October 2015 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 466768)
No. Mean Guns is where Ice-T invites a load of assassins (including Christopher Lambert) to an abandoned prison and has them kill each other for a few million dollars.

Gunmen has Lambert's smuggler(?) and Mario Van Peebles's DEA agent team up to find a deceased drug lord's hidden cash pile. It's a fun, yet surprisingly grim, buddy comedy.

Oh ok, thanks Mac, i may pick that up. For some reason i thought they were the same film and i never liked Gunmen.

MacBlayne 31st October 2015 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 466801)
Oh ok, thanks Mac, i may pick that up. For some reason i thought they were the same film and i never liked Gunmen.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but over on the forums at Blu-Ray.com, there has been complaints that Mean Guns has been cropped from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1.

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st October 2015 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 466802)
I'm not sure if this is true or not, but over on the forums at Blu-Ray.com, there has been complaints that Mean Guns has been cropped from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1.

What's this? People on Blu-ray.com complaining? Surely you jest? ;)

MacBlayne 31st October 2015 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 466805)
What's this? People on Blu-ray.com complaining? Surely you jest? ;)

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the antics of those on the Blu-Ray.com forums.

In any case, the way the Mean Guns forum page falls into lunacy is hysterical.

But, seriously, does anybody know what the story is with 101 Films' BD? If it's 2.35:1 I'll get it. Otherwise, I'll save my money.

harryd 31st October 2015 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 466806)
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the antics of those on the Blu-Ray.com forums.

In any case, the way the Mean Guns forum page falls into lunacy is hysterical.

But, seriously, does anybody know what the story is with 101 Films' BD? If it's 2.35:1 I'll get it. Otherwise, I'll save my money.

I've got it here it's 1.78:1 unfortunately

MacBlayne 31st October 2015 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryd (Post 466808)
I've got it here it's 1.78:1 unfortunately

Thanks for the clarification.

Dave Boy 1st November 2015 12:50 PM

Lugosi double bill....

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/0b...784037c457.jpg http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/e4...a803441761.jpg
THE DEVIL BAT (PRC 1940) INVISIBLE GHOST (MONOGRAM 1941)

More low budget chills, this time featuring good 'ol Bela.
In THE DEVIL BAT, Bela sends a giant bat out into the night to kill those who have wronged him. Bela's trial aftershave sends the bat into a screaming dive on those unfortunate enough to test his new product. Good entertainment.
In INVISIBLE GHOST, Bela is sent into a murderous trance by his mad wife who he thinks is dead. Some good scenes here as Bela walks like clockwork to murder his next victim. Quite why and how Bela should be put into this trance is never explained but the film is entertaining enough.

Zann 1st November 2015 08:49 PM

The Town That Dreaded Sundown

Yes the original. Boring. Mystified by the appeal of this film, kept waiting for it to get going but it didn't. There was this recurring goofy theme going on with the Sparkplug character that just cut short any atmosphere the film might have built up. Trombone stabbing was a bit of a novelty though...I'll give it that - but even that just seemed absurd and vaguely funny in a confused sort of way.

Stephen@Cult Labs 1st November 2015 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 466930)
The Town That Dreaded Sundown

Yes the original. Boring. Mystified by the appeal of this film, kept waiting for it to get going but it didn't. There was this recurring goofy theme going on with the Sparkplug character that just cut short any atmosphere the film might have built up. Trombone stabbing was a bit of a novelty though...I'll give it that - but even that just seemed absurd and vaguely funny in a confused sort of way.

I thought it was really slow and not much happened. I'm thinking the new one (a "meta-sequel") will be much better. Really like the way they've approached that.

Zann 1st November 2015 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 466931)
I thought it was really slow and not much happened. I'm thinking the new one (a "meta-sequel") will be much better. Really like the way they've approached that.

The remake? Heard that's worse!

Stephen@Cult Labs 1st November 2015 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 466932)
The remake? Heard that's worse!

May well be, but it's not a remake. :)

J Harker 1st November 2015 09:55 PM

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11...7fef2283df.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st November 2015 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Survivor (2015)

A US official is forced to go on the run in London after being framed for crimes she didn't commit.

I won't beat about the bush. Survivor is flawed, quite badly at times but it's also a fun way to spend 90 minutes. The film is fast paced as it should be when it's basically James Bond pursuing Alice from Resident Evil across London and then to New York's Times Square for the finale.

The film boasts a decent cast throwing in Dylan McDermott, Robert Forster, Angela Bassett, Frances De La Tour and Roger Rees in his last film appearance.

A film i definitely enjoyed, but as i say it is flawed, however there is a hell of a lot worse out there.

JoshuaKaitlyn 1st November 2015 10:20 PM

Jurassic World (2015) Great movie! Grinning like a chimp at the showdown :lol:

:star::star::star::star::star: