Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Frankie Teardrop 5th December 2015 12:44 AM

CUB – Eccentric and winning take on backwoods horror from Belgium. For a start, it's about a scout troupe. How many horror flicks are based on scout troupes? This may be 'Cub's only real first, but it's still quite a feat, particularly as the woggle coveters are portrayed in a refreshingly unsentimental light – as little fascists, or as being strange and possibly murderous. Speaking of which, 'Cub' follows one such runt (actually he's a bit more sympathetic than that, at least until the end) and explores the odd connection he has with a seemingly feral, mask wearing child from deep in the woods. The feral kid is apparently quite vicious, and we're given to ponder whether he's a projection of scout-kid's psyche, or whether there's something supernatural slash folkloric going on, or whether he's just an evil, f*cked up feral dude or what... the resolution of this mystery might be a little underwhelming, but it paves the way for a nastily nihilistic sucker punch of an ending and answers some other questions such as - “why is this Belgian forest full of elaborate traps and contraptions?” and also “in which film do I get to see a maniac use a massive truck to run over an entire scout troupe gathered cringing under a single tent?” Yes, that latter scene does exist and must count as one of the most baffling 'what just happened' moments in my recent viewing history, although equally bizarrely it seems to play entirely naturally in the context of the film. Despite all this argy bargy at the climax, 'Cub' is for the most part much more subtle, has a sly humour but never at the expense of an essentially quite dark mood. See it? Sure, go ahead!

TUSK – When I've sat down with Kevin Smith films in the past, it's been like staying a bit too long in the company of a brilliant but exasperating young person who annoys by being 1) much cleverer and hipper than me, but ultimately also by being 2) actually, objectively annoying anyway. I think stuff like 'Clerk's is great on a cinema level or whatever, but I can't get through that kind of thing without wincing deep down. That said, I really liked 'Red State', which was quite a departure for Smith but still felt like one of his. The same goes for 'Tusk'. It's basically about a hip young podcaster who might be brilliant in some way but is certainly exasperating. He travels to Canada to do an interview, but ends up waylaid by some ancient guy who regales him with tales of meeting Earnest Hemmingway etc etc. This ancient guy then imprisons annoying hipster podcaster and basically turns him into a walrus. Why? I don't know, maybe he has issues or something. Podcaster's girlfriend and his podcaster buddy team up with a comedy French Canadian ex detective and track his sorry fate. It's interesting to see Smith combine his off-hand wordy indieness with such surrealism, but also with much more standard B movie territory. There's something austere and freaky about the build up, but when I was watching the transformation scenes I thought less of Cronenberg or 'Human Centipede' and more of something like a Charles Band film. Horror stylistics may or may not be Smith's thing, but there's no doubting the eerie power of much of the content here, or rather, the impact it has by sometimes managing to be both hilarious and affecting... I think this is summed up by the end scene, where podcaster's now ex gf visits him in his new home, a really bleak, dilapidated animal sanctuary. The just-deserts angle is mocking, self referential and tongue in cheek, but it's also weirdly troubling. Anyway, 'Tusk' is great, I know his latter stuff is miles away from 'Chasing Amy' et al, but frankly I wish he just made films like this all the time.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th December 2015 05:01 PM

Christmas Horror Marathon #1

1 Attachment(s)
Countess Perverse (1974)

One of 11 films director Jess Franco made and released in 1974, Countess Perverse is the Spanish auteur's take on the much filmed 1920's story The Most Dangerous Game.

Set on an island with a mansion of quite unique design, Franco adds his own touches to the well worn ideas already filmed, namely lots of sex bordering on hardcore (Even Howard Vernon gets his fingers dirty) and cannibalism.

For the first hour i was wondering what this had to do with The Most Dangerous Game and also why i'd saved it for my Christmas horror marathon as there was no horror to be seen. Fortunately the last third leaves the sleaze behind and we get a little gore and head sawing and a hunt across the island as Lina Romay's heroine is tracked down by the deadly Countess Zaroff as played by the lovely Alice Arno. In true Franco style both women are starkers however Arno carries a bow and arrow, although neither are ever strategically placed as to hide her modesty. I doubt Franco would allow it if they were though.

One of the film's strength's are the performances in particular Vernon and Arno as the Count and Countess Zaroff. Both come across with demented glee and seem to be having enormous fun.

Come the end Countess Perverse is an enjoyable film with perhaps too much shagging early on and too little plot development to be really classed as top level Franco. I still recommend it to all Francophiles though.

The dvd from Mondo Macabro is in the correct 1:33:1 aspect ratio and looks gorgeous.

iank 5th December 2015 07:58 PM

Streets of Fire. A rock diva (Diane Lane) returning to put on a show in her dingy home town is kidnapped by a vicious motorcycle gang, and her boss (Rick Moranis) hires her mercenary ex-boyfriend (Michael Pare) to rescue her. Amy Madigan and Willem Dafoe co-star in this hugely entertaining 80s rock 'n' roll action-adventure. Great fun from start to finish and the music is fantastic. Awesomely 80s.:)

Make Them Die Slowly 5th December 2015 08:35 PM

DON JON.

The ultimate Cult Labs metaphor...a bloke wanks his life away in front of a computer screen unable to gain fulfilment within human relationships. However, he gets to f#ck Scarlett Johansson and Julianne Moore, you won't.

WILD CARD.

Jason Statham spoons several men to death in oddly unhomoerotic actioner.

Stephen@Cult Labs 5th December 2015 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 470036)
Streets of Fire. A rock diva (Diane Lane) returning to put on a show in her dingy home town is kidnapped by a vicious motorcycle gang, and her boss (Rick Moranis) hires her mercenary ex-boyfriend (Michael Pare) to rescue her. Amy Madigan and Willem Dafoe co-star in this hugely entertaining 80s rock 'n' roll action-adventure. Great fun from start to finish and the music is fantastic. Awesomely 80s.:)

An amazing film. Pity it wasn't move successful, as they had wanted to do a trilogy, with the other films being called The Far City and Cody's Return. Still curious to see Albert Pyun's unofficial sequel, Road To Hell, if it ever gets a release.

trebor8273 5th December 2015 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 172901

Star Trek The Motion(less) Picture.

Boring,boring, boring and I'm a die hard Star Trek fan so god knows how those who aren't would feel about it. Fails on nearly every level set design, costumes, story. Even if you have a good director in the form of Robert Wise even they can't polish a turd if everything else is lacking. This "story" was done so much better in TOS season 2 episode the changeling. Do your self a favour and just watch that. 5/10

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th December 2015 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 470040)
DON JON.

The ultimate Cult Labs metaphor...a bloke wanks his life away in front of a computer screen unable to gain fulfilment within human relationships. However, he gets to f#ck Scarlett Johansson and Julianne Moore, you won't.

Neither will you. :tongue1:

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th December 2015 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 470040)
WILD CARD.

Jason Statham spoons several men to death in oddly unhomoerotic actioner.

I think i reviewed this as a day in the life of the Stathe. As that's what it felt like when watching it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th December 2015 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 470043)
Attachment 172901

Boring,boring, boring and I'm a die hard Star Trek fan so god knows how those who aren't would feel about it. Fails on nearly every level set design, costumes, story. Even if you have a good director in the form of Robert Wise even they can't polish a turd if everything else is lacking. 5/10

I totally disagree with all this.

I saw it at the cinema as a child and would have agreed with you back then.

trebor8273 5th December 2015 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 470046)
I totally disagree with all this.

I saw it at the cinema as a child and would have agreed with you back then.

Strangely I liked it as a kid, now it just bores me

JoshuaKaitlyn 5th December 2015 10:26 PM

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999) Even though it has the annoying kid, Jar Jar Binks and that Mediclorian guff, I actually do like this one. Its no where near as good as Episode IV-VI but there again the original trilogy didn't have the political machinations going on, they were straight forward good vs evil. I know I-III are somewhat disdained but for me they are on a different level and stand up well as a part of the story, people would have complained more I think if they had simply rehashed the style of the originals.

Make Them Die Slowly 5th December 2015 10:28 PM

The Beast in the Cellar.

Rural Brit grot about some long haired layabout killing soldiers when not lurking around Beryl Reid's musky cellar. Kind of fun and Reid excels in her role.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th December 2015 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 470050)
The Beast in the Cellar.

Rural Brit grot about some long haired layabout killing soldiers when not lurking around Beryl Reid's musky cellar. Kind of fun and Reid excels in her role.

Is this actually worth buying MTDS?

I've seen it once i think, an awful long time ago and the only memories i've got are the house, soldiers and Beryl Reid, perhaps a body being discovered in a field.

It's been on my Amazon wishlist for years but the Odeon dvd is still a tenner.

Make Them Die Slowly 5th December 2015 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 470051)
Is this actually worth buying MTDS?

I've seen it once i think, an awful long time ago and the only memories i've got are the house, soldiers and Beryl Reid, perhaps a body being discovered in a field.

It's been on my Amazon wishlist for years but the Odeon dvd is still a tenner.

I am not sure I would pay 10 quid for it, I have it unwatched in the Tigon coffin set. I just watched it on The Talking Pictures channel. Can You Keep It Up For a Week has just started for fans of 70s Brit smut!

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th December 2015 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 470052)
I am not sure I would pay 10 quid for it, I have it unwatched in the Tigon coffin set. I just watched it on The Talking Pictures channel. Can You Keep It Up For a Week has just started for fans of 70s Brit smut!

Cheers.

Speaking of Brit smut, have you seen Percy's Progress and can you recommend it?

Make Them Die Slowly 6th December 2015 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 470053)
Cheers.

Speaking of Brit smut, have you seen Percy's Progress and can you recommend it?

I've not seen it to be honest.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th December 2015 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 470043)
Attachment 172901

Boring,boring, boring and I'm a die hard Star Trek fan so god knows how those who aren't would feel about it. Fails on nearly every level set design, costumes, story. Even if you have a good director in the form of Robert Wise even they can't polish a turd if everything else is lacking. This "story" was done so much better in TOS season 2 episode the changeling. Do your self a favour and just watch that. 5/10

Endless shots of a spaceship moving past the camera very slowly interspersed with wooden acting. Yawn!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th December 2015 11:44 AM

The Other (1972)

http://zardoz.a.ltrbxd.com/resized/s...g?k=90d14dfda8

https://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m...485io1_500.jpg

74/100

JoshuaKaitlyn 6th December 2015 01:57 PM

Shameless:

#24 Beast in Space (1980) Who need Star Wars when you've got this? George Lucas could learn a thing or two from Alfonso Brescia. Evil computers, sex (lots), boobs, saytrs, big knobs and Jimmy Saville robots they're all here!

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th December 2015 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 470065)
The Other (1972)

74/100

One of those cases where a review would be helpful. :nod:

Buboven 6th December 2015 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 470073)

Saw this recently after buying Eureka's release. Well worth watching.

Watched Bob Clark's Deathdream aka Dead of Night last night and was somewhat blown away buy it. Meant to watch it ever since seeing it on a book entitled 101 Horror Films You See Before You Die my dad bought me years ago.

Not as good as Black Christmas but it gives it a damn good run for it's money. Brilliant performances all around and a very strong story, with an equally strong message on the effects of the Vietnam war on individuals and society. The gritty, low-budget nature of the piece also greatly aids the film much like the grimy, documentary style of the original TCM adds to its effect. Would love Arrow to do a good release of Deathdream.

Anyone else seen it?

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th December 2015 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sabotage (2014)

Probably the worst film of Arnold Schwarzenegger's career. This action film about a squad of corrupt DEA agents led by Schwarzenegger, is populated with unmemorable and unlikable one dimensional characters who go round calling each other mother****er for the film's duration or until they are offed by a mysterious assassin.

Whilst the action sequences are okay that's as far as it goes, the rest of Sabotage is just poorly scripted formulaic dullness that had me clock watching after 25 minutes. Even Arnie himself seems to be sleepwalking throughout, which was a shame because i thoroughly enjoyed his recent turns in The Last Stand, Escape Plan and The Expendables series.

Shit blows up but i really didn't care.

J Harker 6th December 2015 05:59 PM

You don't like Yabba?! Who doesn't like the Yabba!
Ted Kotchefs Wake In Fright, still processing.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th December 2015 06:49 PM

Christmas Horror Marathon #2

1 Attachment(s)
Demon Legacy (2014)

Five college girls spend the weekend in a remote mountain lodge. During a late night drinking spree they play with a Ouija board and unwittingly unleash an evil force.

Coming over as an Evil Dead rip off, which during the final twenty minutes veers into Rambo territory with the introduction of a countryside demon slayer, the film tries too hard to be scary but fails as it struggles to build up any tension. The demons are released and possess their victims without any real build up, it sort of just happens rather than as a suspenseful set piece for example.

There's also an over reliance on CGI. The effects work well in subtler sequences but less well during the demonic rampages. I did laugh at one of the deaths i have to admit. A guy staggers into a room with a bottle of Jack Daniels stuck in the top of his head. The camera pans behind him and the bottle begins to glug empty, cue a pan to the front and the whisky spills out of his open mouth.

Demon Legacy is watchable enough but the end result is a film that is merely okay.

Make Them Die Slowly 6th December 2015 07:22 PM

Tower of Evil

Coastal set Brit grot with two long haired layabouts killing off dope smoking dollybirds and er, long haired layabouts.

This cranks up the nudity and gore in the first half in some sort of post psychedelic mash up that works very well before the film settles down into more normal stalk and slash behaviour. Also contains a giant statue of Gonzo from the Muppets for some unexplainable reason. Recommended.

J Harker 6th December 2015 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 470095)
Tower of Evil

Coastal set Brit grot with two long haired layabouts killing off dope smoking dollybirds and er, long haired layabouts.

This cranks up the nudity and gore in the first half in some sort of post psychedelic mash up that works very well before the film settles down into more normal stalk and slash behaviour. Also contains a giant statue of Gonzo from the Muppets for some unexplainable reason. Recommended.

Excellent film! I'd never heard of this one before Odeon put it out.

Make Them Die Slowly 6th December 2015 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 470100)
Excellent film! I'd never heard of this one before Odeon put it out.

It used to be on TV quite a bit at one point but it never looked as good as the new blu does.

JoshuaKaitlyn 6th December 2015 10:29 PM

Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones (2002) A little on the long side but apart from the duff title, (of which the first one suffered also) again it isn't too bad...although having said that everytime I see Yoda go up against Lee I just see Kermit flying around!

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th December 2015 10:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Lone Ranger (2013)

Terrific action western from the team behind The Pirates of the Caribbean.

Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer are outstanding as Tonto and the Lone Ranger in a movie that surprised me with it's levels of violence, mixed in with light hearted comedy in a film reminiscent of A wild west Indiana Jones .

No matter what you think of the bulk of the movie, when Rossini's William Tell Overture kicks in during the thrilling last half hour and director Gore Verbinski wows us with a hell of a finale aboard two runaway trains you're bound to be grinning like a Cheshire cat. Well i was anyway.

Absolutely loved it!

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th December 2015 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 470102)
Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones (2002) A little on the long side but apart from the duff title, (of which the first one suffered also) again it isn't too bad...although having said that everytime I see Yoda go up against Lee I just see Kermit flying around!

I find this easily the worst of the six movies to date.

JoshuaKaitlyn 6th December 2015 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 470104)
I find this easily the worst of the six movies to date.

I would have to agree with you there, with Empire the best of the lot.

JoshuaKaitlyn 6th December 2015 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 470103)
The Lone Ranger (2013)

Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer are outstanding as Tonto and the Lone Ranger in a movie that surprised me with it's levels of violence, mixed in with light hearted comedy in a film reminiscent of A wild west Indiana Jones .

No matter what you think of the bulk of the movie, when Rossini's William Tell Overture kicks in during the thrilling last half hour and director Gore Verbinski wows us with a hell of a finale aboard two runaway trains you're bound to be grinning like a Cheshire cat. Well i was anyway.

Absolutely loved it!

Even though I have this I've yet to see it. Read and heard a lot of bad things about it so thats putting me off of it but your bit about the William Tell Overture sounds like fun.:)

J Harker 7th December 2015 07:14 AM

Quote:

The Lone Ranger (2013)

Absolutely loved it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 470106)
Even though I have this I've yet to see it. Read and heard a lot of bad things about it so thats putting me off of it but your bit about the William Tell Overture sounds like fun.:)

Same here JK, I've nearly picked it up a few times, its on Netflix too. Dems the first person I've heard say its any good though. In fact most seem to think its rubbish.

iank 7th December 2015 08:05 AM

I thought it was a perfectly average/mediocre modern "blockbuster". Nothing to write home about, but little to chuck bile at either, particularly in this day and age.:tongue1:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th December 2015 08:15 AM

Quote:

The Lone Ranger (2013)

Absolutely loved it!

I was surprised at how bored I was for the bulk of the movie, irritated by Johnny Depp's slide into sub-mediocrity, mistaking acting with standing around in a silly costume, Gore Verbinski once again thinking contrived action is the same thing as storytelling, and appalled by the quality of the script. I didn't find the slapstick stuff funny, and thought it really dragged in the middle (it's far too long), but the train sequence at the end was pretty well done. However bad it was, I thought is better than the Pirates of the Caribbean films I've seen and, in terms of recent Johnny Depp films, is infinitely better than the god-awful Mortdecai.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 7th December 2015 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 470073)

I assumed most Labbers would have seen this one, but as you asked so nicely...

Chilling and eerie, this supernatural tale of good versus evil coils around twin brothers living with their grandmother in a sleepy rural area during the summer of 1935. After his grandmother encourages Niles to develop what seem to be psychic gifts, Niles starts to suspect that his twin may be involved in recent fatal accidents.

A pre-cursor to Donner's more well cited (and dare I say revered) The Omen, The Other whilst a very different film to the tale of Devil-spawn Damien, there are certainly some similarities here. Stephen King had also reportedly watched the film not too long before penning The Shining and there is more than a tenuous link between Danny Torrance's psychic gift and that of Niles'.

This was my second time watching the film (I think), and maybe it's just me, but it didn't seem to have the same impact that I remembered from my initial viewing. However that said, it's still a terrific, beautifully shot film with a great script behind it as well as some stellar performances. Overall a film that I'd not hesitate to recommend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 470087)
Ted Kotchefs Wake In Fright, still processing.

This one does tend to roll around in the old noggin for a fair while afterwards, doesn't it? A very powerful film with some equally powerful performances. Donald Pleasence is nuttier than a dozen or so fruit cakes.

J Harker 7th December 2015 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 470113)
However bad it was, I thought is better than the Pirates of the Caribbean films I've seen and, in terms of recent Johnny Depp films, is infinitely better than the god-awful Mortdecai.

The first three Pirates of the Carribean films are brilliant so if you considered it better then i should definately enjoy it Nos!
I like most things I've seen Johnny Depp in, except The Rum Diary which i thought was dull beyond belief.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th December 2015 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 470116)
The first three Pirates of the Carribean films are brilliant so if you considered it better then i should definately enjoy it Nos!
I like most things I've seen Johnny Depp in, except The Rum Diary which i thought was dull beyond belief.

I think I've only seen the first three PotC films and didn't like any of them. The Lone Ranger is similar in that it is bombastic, overlong, and overreliant on slapstick and action, with Johnny Depp overacting horribly.

I look forward to seeing Black Mass, which is apparently a return to form for a man who, with films like Edward Scissorhands, Donnie Brasco and Ed Wood (his finest performance), became one of the finest character actors around. Though The Rum Diary and Transcendence were very good without being vintage quality, I can't think of a standout performance since Public Enemies in 2009.

Justin101 7th December 2015 09:17 AM

Punishment Park (1971)

http://lepservice.files.wordpress.co...ent-park-2.png

First time viewing for me, I picked this up without knowing much about it apart from the cover looked interesting and the premise sounded good.
What we have here is an anti-war film presented as if it were a documentary - and it's so well done that after about 5 minutes I forgot I was watching a fictional film and was utterly taken into the world.
Similar to most TV shows it has an a, b and c story and flits between the three. The first is a makeshift court-room or tribunal where political prisoners have to answer for their crimes and have a chance for defense. They are given their choice of state prison or to take their chance in Punishment Park. The park itself is essentially the South Californian desert, the prisoners are dropped off at one point and are told if they can make it to the American flag some 50+ miles away they will be free to go.
The b story follows the law enforcement officers who at first you believe are there as over-seers but soon is revealed that they are not about to let a bunch of activists go free and do what they can to prevent the kids get to the flag.
Finally the c story follows the prisoners in the desert in their ordeal.

It's a grim film and one which has you thinking. I can imagine that this caused some trouble upon it's release in the height of Nixon's America.

Recommended.

J Harker 7th December 2015 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 470115)
This one does tend to roll around in the old noggin for a fair while afterwards, doesn't it? A very powerful film with some equally powerful performances. Donald Pleasence is nuttier than a dozen or so fruit cakes.

There's something incredibly surreal about the whole thing. I find a lot of Australian cinema has a somewhat alien feel to it, sticking Dr.Loomis in there just pushes it that bit further.
Its an odd one in that nothing really happens, by and large the lead character John Grant is treated to some admittedly unique hospitality and all anyone wants to do is show him a good time. And yet it all feels very unpleasant. Essentially the tale of a civilised man descending into moral degradation against his will and yet there is so much more. Mm, yeah gonna be thinking it over for a while.