Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th July 2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 166614)
As long as she knew what she was watching was make-believe and you were there to explain any queries she had about the film, certainly not. Children probably should be exposed to horror films which are suitable for them and there are some excellent 'kid friendly' horror films around -- the last Harry Potter film is supposed to be one of them.

Said Harry Potter film has just raked in $762m worldwide in 3 days

Pete 18th July 2011 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 166614)
As long as she knew what she was watching was make-believe and you were there to explain any queries she had about the film, certainly not. Children probably should be exposed to horror films which are suitable for them and there are some excellent 'kid friendly' horror films around -- the last Harry Potter film is supposed to be one of them.

Oh, I showed her how it was all done and she was fine. She said it was the scariest film she'd ever seen and thought Bruce Campbell was drunk :D

I don't have a problem showing her certain horror films - it's not like I'd ever show her CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST or something like that. She saw HOUSE a few months back and loved it. The only problem is I get moaned at by my sisters and when I remind them that I've been watching horror since I was about 4 their answer is usually 'yeah, and look how you turned out!':eek::D

All kids should watch horror films, it's a great part of growing up.

Prince_Vajda 18th July 2011 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 166644)
All kids should watch horror films, it's a great part of growing up.

I definitely agree.

As long as you deliver some kind of "commentary" like "This scene was fake. They used blablabla to achieve this effect...Never do this to your classmates.", you should prevent the worst. :nod:

But for my taste, seven years is a bit too young for a start. It also depends on your niece, of course - I don't know how clever and how forward she is. Judging from your posts, she's possibly brisk and quick like a ten year old. That would mean you're on the safe side.

Greetings!

PS: Evil Dead II is quite funny - but it's definitely not the masterpiece people make you believe. It's the same with Shaun of the Dead - everybody thinks it's the funniest movie ever, but in fact you only get a mediocre flick with a few nice laughs.

PPS: :focus:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th July 2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 166644)
The only problem is I get moaned at by my sisters and when I remind them that I've been watching horror since I was about 4 their answer is usually 'yeah, and look how you turned out!':eek::D

You should just reply 'You didn't watch them and look how you turned out!'

Demoncrat 18th July 2011 10:40 AM

watched HWAS again...what a film, do think its mair mad than Machete...

The Final Programme...finally bloody got it mair like...a loverly print, and still truely nothing like it out there....Jon Finch, Graham Crowden, David Warner et al dance through a framework based on Moorcock's unique vision ahem. like brit cinema? watch it! like odd 70s films? watch it! ahem. i am very fond of this, did you notice?
also i notice Madonna of the Seven Moons is on this week (bbc2?) last shown during that unseen brit season, tis an odd little film....

mercury 18th July 2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 166549)
I just let my 7 year old Niece watch EVIL DEAD 2 with me. Am I a bad person?

As someone who has works with children, my professional opinion is no:) But it does depend on the child. Some of the kids I look after talk to me about Chucky, Freddy and Jason movies they have seen and enjoyed. Whereas there is a mature 11 year old child who was frightened when we watched ...........Scooby Doo the movie:pound: So trust your own instinct;)

Pete 18th July 2011 12:49 PM

She's very grown up for her age which is why I let her watch it. I know she wont be traumatised by it or anything. In fact she even laughed at some of the FX. Like I said, I would never, ever show her anything like CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST or something similarly extreme.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th July 2011 12:54 PM

Its not a lot different to me watching Doctor Who as a 5 ,6,7 year old in the seventies. There was no video then and the only horror on tv tended to be Hammer, Amicus, Universal etc.

Children today live in a very different media led world to the seventies, i mean Hollywood produces pg horror films (Prom Night, Twilight etc) and kid friendly scares such as Buffy and Charmed. which are directly aimed at children.

Gojirosan 18th July 2011 03:16 PM

The MGM R1 DVD of Squirm looks fantastic! Great film.

And I had forgotten how lovely Patricia Pearcy was!

pedromonkey 18th July 2011 03:32 PM

watched Liam Neeson film Unknown last night which was pretty good, not really on the level of Taken but has a pretty good car chase in it. Then i watched The Cowboys starring John Wayne, great western about a rancher who hires a group of kids to help him get his cattle 400 miles. Bruce Dern is very evil as the villain. One of Waynes best performances...