Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

keirarts 31st March 2016 03:44 PM

Also Phone booth, buried, Cube, the quiet earth, Night of the living dead...

Quite a few films have managed to work with limited casts.

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 483340)
Also Phone booth, buried, Cube, the quiet earth, Night of the living dead...

Quite a few films have managed to work with limited casts.

Okay i'm convinced. :nod:

I'll probably have a look when Zoverstocks are selling it for 1p.

Night of the Living Dead is a terrible choice though as everyone dies in that from the first scenes onwards ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Muck (2015)

Hopefully this review doesn't come across as randomly garbled as the film in question does.

I really can't remember the last time i saw anything like this. Muck was a film that appeared to have no story as such and came across as random scenes simply thrown together.

Characters come and go. One chap with an injury, last seen laying on a couch swigging bourbon is next seen twenty minutes later being murdered by some weird white characters. Imagine the Inspector and MTDS after they'd had a half naked scrap in flour and you'll see why i say weird. No explanations as to the who's and why's they just randomly appear. In fact one sequence shows them attacking a girl next to a car, the next second the car is on it's roof and they've all gone or are perhaps under said car. As i said, bugger all is explained.

Some of the acting is woeful and at other times it's not too bad...in fact i'll stop there and suggest the film was actually made by two crews. One, a fairly competent film crew and cast including a bunch of Miss Buttcheeks USA pageant winners, and Christ! Thanks to the director of photography don't we know it. Scene after scene of pretty girls and one guy, who for no reason other than, no, forget that, for no reason, simply take it in turns to stand in front of mirrors and take their clothes off. Anyway that's digressing. The minute this first film crew downs tools for the night it seems a bunch of kids take over and pretty much just film themselves arsing about. Add this to an editor who clearly had **** all knowledge of his job or left the blooper reels in the film. I really don't know, or care. You decide.

Muck is the finest example of car crash film making i can recall. It really is that bad, i just couldn't take my eyes off it.

trebor8273 31st March 2016 07:18 PM

What Films Have You Seen Recently?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...582f864377.jpg

Really had little interest in this when I saw the trailer for it at the cinema, but I was wrong a very enjoyable bond type film which if I'm honest I enjoyed more than some of the newer bond movies. Story is the usual classic bond story of a megalomaniac(Samuel l Jackson) trying to destroy the world and eggsy who is recruited by Harry Hart(Colin firth) who works for Kingsman a secret spy organisation who are the only people able to stop his plan.

Surprisingly entertaining and violent with a great cast of characters and the scene in the church with all the bigots etc was brilliant. Also watch out for Mark Hamill is a small role. If you are looking for a more " classic " bond from the roger Moore era than the newer films you couldn't go wrong with this. 8.5/10

Next up is this which Kingsman has placed me in the mood for

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...565e66d71f.jpg

AberZombi&Flesh 31st March 2016 07:21 PM

Well, I'm a sucker for bad horror movies (and the B'rated ones too).

Just finished watching "Curse of the Komodo".

Next up, hmm. "90210 Shark Attack"..or maybe "Hazard Jack".

Decisions, decisions..

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AberZombi&Flesh (Post 483392)
Well, I'm a sucker for bad horror movies

Give Muck a go. That's bad.

AberZombi&Flesh 31st March 2016 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483395)
Give Muck a go. That's bad.

But..but..but.. I haven't bought it yet.

My name is Zeke and I have a problem.

My "problem", per se, is I prefer to own. I detest Netflix, RedBox, Blockbuster (online), et al. So..can you imagine 4000+ dvd's shelved..all in alpha order?! Fear not.. I see it every day I walk by [it]. :)

J Harker 31st March 2016 07:53 PM

The Hallow, Corin Hardy. 2015

Fancied this after i saw a trailer for this on the start of my Green Inferno blu the other day. Looked like a sort of spooky, folk horror, possibly psychological horror film...
Professional ugly bastard Joseph Mawle plays Adam Hitchens, a forestry conservation officer who relocates his wife and baby from London to a remote part of Ireland after being assigned there. Moving into an old rundown mill house in the woods it isn't long before seemingly threatening local Colm starts coming aroud warning Adam and his wife to stay out of the forest as they're trespassing. Following an apparent break in the village bobby explains that the locals are highly superstitious and believe the woods to be the home of all sorts of mythical fairytale creatures. Unfriendly creatures that "go bump in the night".
Up to this point i still wasn't entirely sure where we were heading, possibly Straw Dogs territory. Maybe a wicker man cult.
Well this ain't that. The Hallow is an unashamedly derivative (in a good way) creature feature. Stan Winstons Pumpkinhead came to mind watching it. It borrows bits from all sorts of flicks and feels like a mashup of the aforementioned Pumpkinhead, The Descent and Cronenbergs The Fly and a dozen other things. There's even a nod to Fulci in there. Well worth a look and I'm interested what director Corin Hardy does next.

AberZombi&Flesh 31st March 2016 08:07 PM

I tried to watch District 9 again..

but "tried" is/was as far as I could get.

it was Transformers meets ID4 meets the shrimp cocktail.

I've dubbed it "Prawn of the Dead".

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 483406)
The Hallow, Corin Hardy. 2015

I watched it for the Tweet-a-long last week and really enjoyed it, with the external events mirroring that of Adam's transformation.

In terms of influences, Evil Dead, Alien, The Descent, Straw Dogs, The Thing and Halloween appear to be referenced in different ways – visual and aural – in the film, with the whole film a modern version of the Brothers Grimm fairytales. Like you, I didn't find it to be derivative in a bad way, but one which was unapologetic about its inspirations, something Corin Hardy admitted on Twitter, but a genuinely involving and creepy horror film.

J Harker 31st March 2016 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 483412)
I watched it for the Tweet-a-long last week and really enjoyed it, with the external events mirroring that of Adam's transformation.

In terms of influences, Evil Dead, Alien, The Descent, Straw Dogs, The Thing and Halloween appear to be referenced in different ways – visual and aural – in the film, with the whole film a modern version of the Brothers Grimm fairytales. Like you, I didn't find it to be derivative in a bad way, but one which was unapologetic about its inspirations, something Corin Hardy admitted on Twitter, but a genuinely involving and creepy horror film.

Was like the sort of film Neil Marshall started out making. Also forgot to mention the practical fx throughout were outstanding.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 483414)
Was like the sort of film Neil Marshall started out making. Also forgot to mention the practical fx throughout were outstanding.

The effects were excellent, but I want to watch a second time. Some aspects of the film reminded me of Wake Wood, if only the Irish setting and supernatural aspect of the story.

J Harker 31st March 2016 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 483415)
The effects were excellent, but I want to watch a second time. Some aspects of the film reminded me of Wake Wood, if only the Irish setting and supernatural aspect of the story.

Is that the one with Timothy Spall? If so thats not a bad film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 483416)
Is that the one with Timothy Spall? If so thats not a bad film.

Yeah, Wake Wood with Timothy Spall and Aidan Gillen, directed by David Keating. I enjoyed it very much and bought the American BD for the correct aspect ratio (2.35:1, with the British release in 1.78:1).

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
H.M.S. Defiant (1962)

A rip roaring British Naval adventure. High on budget and even higher on excitement as Alec Guinness' Captain spars with Dirk Bogarde's sadistic First Officer.

Everything you could possibly wish for in seafaring adventure is onscreen. Mutinous crews, moral dilemmas, blazing Naval battles, floggings, fire ships, you name it, it's here. (Well, apart from pirates. Sorry).

Gripping from first to last.

Highly recommended.

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Punisher: War Zone (2008)

The excellent Ray Stevenson (Have you seen HBO's series Rome in which Stevenson starred? Superb stuff, gorgeously filmed at Rome's Cinecitta studios) assumes the mantle of The Punisher / Frank Castle and makes it his own.

Punisher: War Zone is thrilling stuff. Ultra violent with a pulse pounding soundtrack and superb villains in Dominic West's Jigsaw and Doug Hutchinson as Loony Bin Jim.

Unrelentingly brutal and bloody with action that never lets up. Punisher: War Zone is a comic book movie for adults.

Highly recommended.

Justin101 1st April 2016 09:11 AM

I went to a screening of Day of the Dead last night, that film really works with an audience! The atmosphere was great with plenty of groans and laughs for the gore gags :lol: I hadn't realised that Greg Nicotero sfx wizard behind The Walking Dead zombies essentially got his start on this film working with Savini and also had an acting role as Johnson, the unfortunate soldier who ends up as a head on a plate!!

The trailer reel before the show started included dubious highlights such as Zombi 4: After Death (aka ZFE3) and Wild Zero, an insanely bonkers Japanese zombie epic :lol:

J Harker 1st April 2016 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483445)
Punisher: War Zone (2008)

The excellent Ray Stevenson (Have you seen HBO's series Rome in which Stevenson starred? Superb stuff, gorgeously filmed at Rome's Cinecitta studios) assumes the mantle of The Punisher / Frank Castle and makes it his own.

Punisher: War Zone is thrilling stuff. Ultra violent with a pulse pounding soundtrack and superb villains in Dominic West's Jigsaw and Doug Hutchinson as Loony Bin Jim.

Unrelentingly brutal and bloody with action that never lets up. Punisher: War Zone is a comic book movie for adults.

Highly recommended.

Yes! 💀

J Harker 1st April 2016 10:45 AM

The Night Has Eyes, Leslie Arliss, 1942

I saw this a few weeks ago but have been struggling to write anything about it for some reason.
Its a wonderful little British b&w thriller from the 40's that for me is easily as good as anything Universal or Val Lewton was putting out at the time.
Two school teachers Doris and Marion visit the Yorkshire Moors on a hiking trip a year after their friend Evelyn disappeared in the area. Caught in a terrific storm the pair are relived to stumble upon a house, even if there is a somewhat unnerving figure watching them from the doorway.
The resident of this particular old dark house turns out to be a reclusive pianist Stephen Deremid played by a superb James Mason. After reluctantly giving the pair a room for the night he warns them to keep the door locked at all cost.
Next morning the house keepers arrive and the girls discover that Stephen was a veteran of the Spanish civil war and still suffers after some of the horrors he faced.
From here i will say no more suffice to say if you like old b&w films, or old dark house thrillers or in fact movies in general then you should definitely seek this out.
James Mason an actor i have to confess I've not actually much off is simply excellent as haunted recluse Stephen, don't know why but he reminded me of an on form Johnny Depp. Backward i know given its normally modern actors we suggest remind us of a young so-and-so.
The girls are also both interesting characters, well developed with contrasting characters but portraying a realistic friendship. And the setting while nothing new even for the era is again excellent, a spooky old house full of character, helped tremendously by cracking camera work. Networks dvd is brilliant quality particularly in comparison to dodgy fuzzy old prints floating around YouTube. Highly recommended.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st April 2016 10:49 AM

Delighted you enjoyed it, J.

Especially with me banging on about it so much.

J Harker 1st April 2016 10:49 AM

It is excellent Dem. Amazed its not more well known.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st April 2016 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 483462)
It is excellent Dem. Amazed its not more well known.

I'd never heard of it until i read a review of it from Kim Newman in Empire. I think he featured it in an article he did on old dark house films for Network last Halloween.

Did you read it?

J Harker 1st April 2016 11:07 AM

No. Sounds interesting though. I'll have a look around online later.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st April 2016 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 483466)
No. Sounds interesting though. I'll have a look around online later.

Here you are.

Network Distributing Ltd Film TV Home Entertainment > Network Halloween Ten

I need to pick up The Door With Seven Locks (1940), The House in the Woods (1957), House of Darkness (1948) and Someone at the Door (1936) which i hopefully will in the next sale.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st April 2016 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483461)
Delighted you enjoyed it, J.

Especially with me banging on about it so much.

I very well may pick it up when Network have their next sale too. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st April 2016 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 483497)

They could do with getting on with it. There's a few i'd like such as The Phantom Light.

J Harker 1st April 2016 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 483497)

I can't recommend it highly enough B-eye.
And yes Dem, i expected an Easter sale but alas. I want that Thriller set.

AberZombi&Flesh 1st April 2016 06:18 PM

So, the royal b of owning 4000+ dvd's.. oh, and still acquiring more and more. Sorry, but I feel Scrat from Ice Age every time I see a really good sale! Derp!

anyway, so.. I still have this massive stack I'm meaning to get to. And just the time I think I'm moving on to something new [to me].. *enter activity in the cerebral cortex* (thinking--I haven't seen --random title here-- in awhile, let me go grab that before I forget). and the stack stays, well "stacked". :)

Current watch: Faces in the Crowd (featuring that gal from the RE movies).

J Harker 1st April 2016 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483470)
Here you are.

I need to pick up The Door With Seven Locks (1940), The House in the Woods (1957), House of Darkness (1948) and Someone at the Door (1936) which i hopefully will in the next sale.

Thanks for the link by the way, haven't had chance to check it out properly yet.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st April 2016 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AberZombi&Flesh (Post 483538)

Current watch: Faces in the Crowd (featuring that gal from the RE movies).

It's not too bad a film. Interesting concept, but somehow didn't really enthrall me that much.

J Harker 1st April 2016 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483470)
Here you are.

Right had a read. Few there I'm interested in. The House In The Woods in paricular. Black Limelight sounds interesting. Also The Door With Seven Locks and lighthouse film, can't remember the title.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st April 2016 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 483553)
Right had a read. Few there I'm interested in. The House In The Woods in paricular. Black Limelight sounds interesting. Also The Door With Seven Locks and lighthouse film, can't remember the title.

I got Black Limelight and Tower of Terror in the last sale and planned to watch them as part of Decemberdike. However i had others to watch and never got round to it...so they go towards this years Decemberdike fest. :dance:

J Harker 1st April 2016 08:08 PM

Bloody Decemberdike. You clearly have too much time on your hands Dem. I could watch a new film every night from now til December and i doubt I'd get on top of my to watch pile. 😂

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st April 2016 08:37 PM

The World, the Flesh and the Devil (1959)

http://skyfall.a.ltrbxd.com/resized/...g?k=84f23e185a

Ralph Burton is a miner who is trapped for several days as a result of a cave-in. When he finally manages to dig himself out, he realizes that all of mankind seems to have been destroyed in a nuclear holocaust. He travels to New York City only to find it deserted. Making a life for himself there, he is flabbergasted to eventually find Sarah Crandall, who also managed to survive. Together, they form a close friendship until the arrival of Benson Thacker who has managed to pilot his small boat into the city's harbor. At this point the tensions rise between the three, particularly between Thacker, who is white and Burton, who is black.

A fairly refreshing and engaging post-apocalyptic tale with a stand-out performance from Harry Belafonte. More melodramatic than your usual end of the world fare in places but it dispenses with the usual token self-loathing. I've been meaning to check this one out for a few years now and I wasn't let down. Recommended.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq...8b0ao1_500.jpg

75/100

Buboven 1st April 2016 09:41 PM

Some more recent watches, one of which was the other Death Walks... films in Arrow's new boxset. Thought this was better, it benefits from the feisty female protagonist being there for the whole film. Overall a really fun giallo with some bizarre touches.

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1jxckkar.png

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st April 2016 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Pajama Game (1957)

Reasonable musical starring Doris Day and John Raitt, about a pajama factory where the employees are demanding an extra 7 and a half cents pay per hour .

Bizarrely the best parts of the film and most lively song and dance routines seem detached from the film itself and appear to have been spawned in other productions including the forthcoming (maybe) Human Centipede musical. Sadly for Day she's usurped by Gene Kelly's former choreographer, Carol Haney who gets all the memorable routines.

God knows why i've posted this here. The Pajama Game is hardly Cult Labs material.

J Harker 2nd April 2016 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483567)
The Pajama Game (1957)

Reasonable musical starring Doris Day and John Raitt, about a pajama factory where the employees are demanding an extra 7 and a half cents pay per hour .

Bizarrely the best parts of the film and most lively song and dance routines seem detached from the film itself and appear to have been spawned in other productions including the forthcoming (maybe) Human Centipede musical. Sadly for Day she's usurped by Gene Kelly's former choreographer, Carol Haney who gets all the memorable routines.

God knows why i've posted this here. The Pajama Game is hardly Cult Labs material.

No sorry mate God doesn't know why you've posted this here. I had a chat with the big guy earlier and while he's apparently fairly open minded he's not sure why you're watching Doris bloody Day musicals but you can't accommodate Crimson Peak til December. 😂

J Harker 2nd April 2016 08:01 AM

Death Race 2. I'd dismissed the sequels as cheap dtv tat but this is a surprisingly entertaining prequel to the Statham flick. Charts the imprisonment and then rise of getaway driver Carl Lucas who becomes Frankenstein from the original film. Unlike the first film the 'Death Race' of the title doesn't actually feature til well over halfway. In fact vehicle carnage isn't really the big deal here for most of the film. The prisoners are actually forced to fight in an arena gladiator style to begin with with the death race actually being invented later in the film. I enjoyed this one more than the original i think. Oh and the lovely Lauren Cohan is in it which is all the reason i needed really.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 2nd April 2016 11:06 AM

Seven Keys to Baldpate (1917)

http://primer.a.ltrbxd.com/resized/f...g?k=9955e919fc

A writer bets a friend that he can write a 10,000-word novel in 24 hours. The friends takes the bet, and gives him the keys to his Baldpate Inn, which has been closed for the winter, so he can write in complete seclusion. Things start heating up, though, when a succession of people who also have keys to the inn begin showing up.

A rather ambitious endeavour to bring the classic and oft told tale to the screen back in 1917 and the end result is not entirely successful. This is mainly due to the silent nature of the film coupled with zero musical score meaning that often it is hard to become fully engaged with the events unfolding on screen. However, the short running time coupled with the enigmatic George M. Cohan certainly makes this a worthy watch, albeit a slightly flawed film overall.

A difficult one to rate, but I eventually settled on a solid, rounded 60/100

Frankie Teardrop 2nd April 2016 11:39 AM

GOBLIN – For some the difference between shot-on-video movies and actual movies – real movies – is as stark and as primal as the difference between their own shit and someone else's. I'm into SOV, but even after all these years they still feel strange and awkward to me. Todd Sheets' 'Goblin' is a case in point, surely a film which would appear strange and awkward to virtually anyone. It's about a bunch of people in a house being murdered by a goblin. That's it. Oh, there are some zombies at the end. Structurally, it pretty much hits a 'people talk, people run around looking afraid, people die' rhythm early on, and simply repeats, repeats. Actually, this steady beat is broken up midway by a ten minute sequence of a guy looking round a house with a flashlight mumbling “umm, seriously guys... call the cops... call the cops...”. In a thousand years time, this scene may be known as the most important few minutes of cinematic history. I don't know why, but then I have no idea why films like 'Goblin' have such a hold on me. I suppose it's the ultra tawdriness, the harsh cheapness of early video, from the look of it all right down to the fumbling, half improvised half wooden acting, those textures that make you feel as if you're watching something from another planet. I do bang on about this stuff, but it's the wellspring of accidental surrealism. 'Goblin' is excessive on other levels too – there's the gore, real butchers shop stuff, basically offal in close up for what seems like an eternity. There's loads of it, loads. HG Lewis would puke. On the other hand, no. The way it's rendered here, it's as dramatic and as exciting as watching a settee, which only adds to the madness. Gore mongering metaller Sheets is an avowed Christian, so there's no sleaze, and I can't remember much profanity... it's all artificially wholesome. Apart from the bits where people have their guts ripped out, again and again. See 'Goblin'. It's like watching paint dry, only with the gradually dawning realisation that the paint is your own sanity slowly evaporating. Can be found on one of those Mill Creek type affairs.