All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179604Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th August 2011, 11:40 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
"The Violent Kind", an absolute mess of a film that references just about every genre of exploitation since the 1950s. Though chaotic and difficult to tell what the hell is going on, I rather enjoyed it.
Just looked this up - it sounds splendid! Must check it out!
Old 6th August 2011, 12:10 PM
Ex-member

Default What films have you seen recently?

REEKER 2
very good horror.
on par with the original for entertainment
Old 6th August 2011, 02:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Wathced Swamp Thing. Still a good watch after all these years
Old 6th August 2011, 02:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just watched Insidious. liked. better than PA2. creepy wee film.
Old 6th August 2011, 04:02 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

This isn't an exclusive list, but recently I've seen:

Neds -- Compelling viewing with excellent performances and a rather extensive vocabulary!

Shaft in Africa -- Easily the weakest of the two sequels, but Roundtree is always good to watch

Dazed and Confused -- A superbly made film by Richard Linklater with an amazing cast of people who were about to become big names

Halloween II -- Fairly weak follow-up to John Carpenter's classic as Jamie Lee Curtis. Really isn't given enough to do

Halloween III: Season of the Witch -- I'm not sure why the critics hated it so much as it is an interesting departure from the slasher format, but it probably would have done better box office business if it didn't have Halloween in the title

Curse of the Puppet Master -- A below mediocre franchise film without any scares or memorable scenes and barely developed characters

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives -- Clearly not a film for everyone, but I found it a magical and beautiful meditation on life and the nature of being.

Pickpocket -- A sublime piece of filmmaking by Robert Bresson, and a clear influence on Taxi Driver, something which Paul Schrader freely admits

Whisky Galore! -- Not the greatest Ealing comedy, but still a terrific film.
Whisky Galore Blu-ray Review
Old 6th August 2011, 04:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Dazed and Confused is an excellent comedy. It has immense rewatch potential, unlike most teen comedies.
Old 6th August 2011, 04:45 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I rented it as I hadn't seen it before, but may splash out on the Criterion Blu-ray when that's released.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 6th August 2011, 04:50 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Dazed And Confused is probably the best comedy film ever made, in my opinion. It is also much, much more than a comedy. One of the very best and key films of the 90s. An all-time great.

Pickpocket - like all the Bresson films I have seen - is fantastic. And I want to see it again now! Still think Au Hasard Balthazar was his best film.
Old 6th August 2011, 05:59 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

So far today I have watched Hobo With A Shotgun, which was just magnificent, and Breeders which is an...."interesting" experience!

Breeders is a terrible film, but in that really likeable way that we are all familiar with here! It features a lot of nudity (though none of it very pleasant, unfortunately - mostly due to the presence of awful 80s hairdos that could render anyone ugly and a lot of equally hideous tan lines!) and a bit of claret. It has some relatively OK actors in tiny parts and leads played by utter incompetents - the female lead renders one of the worst performances I have seen in any film ever, mostly looking bored throughout and starting all her lines a beat or two late. And the monster seems to be a dude in a black latex fetish suit of some kind.

But it's wicked fun because of all this! I just wish I was drunk when I had watched it!
Old 6th August 2011, 06:26 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

You know what? You're all a bunch of mean, mean bastards. Know why? I'm gonna tell you.

Starting with Nos' last post, I skimmed what some fellas said after that.

Looked for the cast of some praised flick - Milla's in it. Holy smoke. A movie with Milla that I don't own? Impossible!

Looked for the trailer. Watched it. Liked it.

Looked for the soundtrack. Knew nearly every song. Loved it.

That's how I ended up ordering this:

And why are you mean, the whole lot of you? Because yesterday I was positive that I wouldn't buy any disc till the end of the month.

Damn, these threads are intoxicating!

Greetings!

Like this? Share it using the links below!