Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2011, 04:41 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I'm with Gojirosan and Nosferatu on this one. Sharktopus is great fun.
Old 12th August 2011, 04:54 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

ok i watched these over the last few nights...

Super 8, brilliant film which is nostalgic and has a story.

The Punisher, Thomas Jane was great as the punisher, shame that Jonathan Hensleigh's script and direction are aweful and John Travolta is about as menacing as my cat alfie....not very.

Beyond Planet Of The Apes, the 2hr+ documentary on the Blu of Planet of the Apes that covers all 5 original films and the two TV shows, hosted by the legend Roddy McDowell. Very Very informative doc about a great series of films.

Tenchi Muyo Ryo-oki: a brilliant Anime series from the early 90s, 13 episodes of comedy, action, space, carrots and demons.
Old 12th August 2011, 05:17 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

This isn't an exclusive list, but in the last few days I've seen:

Almost Human – My very first poliziotteschi, and a very good one at that. I plan to go through the extra features and put up a review.

The Deaths of Ian Stone – Although it didn't feel entirely original, the screenplay and direction were excellent and the SFX make-up was really convincing.

The Silent House – Shot in only one take, this Uruguayan horror film has remarkable atmosphere and some really well worked jumps, one of which will catch out most hard-core horror fans.

Zombie Holocaust – A blatant rip-off of Cannibal Holocaust with none of the power or atmosphere, but the laughable effects and ropey acting makes this an unintentionally funny watch.

The Extraordinary Adventures of Adéle Blanc-Sec – Accurately described as 'Amélie meets Indiana Jones', this latest film by Luc Besson ventures into Jean-Pierre Jeunet territory and is better off for it.

Super 8 - J.J. Abrams doesn't disappoint with this perfectly set drama/sci-fi/horror film with echoes of Stand by Me, The Goonies, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and ET. It is extremely well written and directed the child actors are all excellent.

Black Swan – With the volume turned up high, Darren Aaronofsky's first outright horror film is a fantastic reworking of Swan Lake with amazing performances by Natalie Portman, Vincent Cassel, Barbara Hershey, Mila Kunis and Winona Ryder. Bava and Argento should be proud of this tribute to the visual style they developed in their gialli.
Old 12th August 2011, 06:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Zombie Holocaust – A blatant rip-off of Cannibal Holocaust with none of the power or atmosphere, but the laughable effects and ropey acting makes this an unintentionally funny watch.

I don't think Zombie Holocaust is a rip off of Cannibal Holocaust at all.

Its other title is Dr Butcher m.d.
From what i recall CH had no zombies in it nor mad psycho doctors performing deranged experiments.

I also thought Ian McCulloch and Donald O'Brien were excellent in their roles. One of the few films that i found a little disturbing due to the grimy surgery performed on the "patients".
Old 12th August 2011, 06:20 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

D'oh! I meant Zombie Flesh Eaters, not Cannibal Holocaust as it's virtually the same apart from a mad scientist replacing voodoo rituals. As you say, a couple of the actors are pretty good, but the rest are caricatures and fairly badly played.
Old 12th August 2011, 06:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Fair enough then.

Its the end of a long week.
Old 12th August 2011, 06:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
D'oh! I meant Zombie Flesh Eaters, not Cannibal Holocaust as it's virtually the same apart from a mad scientist replacing voodoo rituals. As you say, a couple of the actors are pretty good, but the rest are caricatures and fairly badly played.
ZH is shoddy in almost every way. It was made by some of the same producers as ZFE and even uses some footage from it (shot of the island, jeep driving through village and a few other bit's and pieces). The director is Enzo Castellari's dad.
Old 12th August 2011, 06:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
ZH is shoddy in almost every way. It was made by some of the same producers as ZFE and even uses some footage from it (shot of the island, jeep driving through village and a few other bit's and pieces). The director is Enzo Castellari's dad.
I like it.

Even though you can plainly see the ZFE cast sat in the jeep in some shots.
Old 12th August 2011, 06:39 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Even though you can plainly see the ZFE cast sat in the jeep in some shots.
I didn't know that and will have to watch it again to spot the shots and the unintentional 'extras'!
Old 12th August 2011, 06:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I love when the guy jumps out of the hospital window and the dummy they used arm falls off as it hit's the ground

Did you watch the Blu-ray Nos?

Like this? Share it using the links below!