Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th January 2009, 12:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just got Bruno Mattei's Strike Commando on VHS in a charity shop for 50p.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 29th January 2009, 12:20 PM
Cultist in Training

Just ordered:

R1

Dario Argento's Door Into Darkness
Rain of Fire
The Silent Partner
My Bloody Valentine
Mansion of the Living Dead

R2

Warlords of Atlantis

Blu-Ray

Monster House (Region A)
Eden Lake (Region free, yay!)
The Dark Knight, Ltd Ed. Batpod (Region A)
Old 29th January 2009, 12:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracucarr View Post
Just ordered:

R1

Dario Argento's Door Into Darkness
Rain of Fire
The Silent Partner
My Bloody Valentine
Mansion of the Living Dead

Blu-Ray

Monster House (Region A)
Eden Lake (Region free, yay!)
The Dark Knight, Ltd Ed. Batpod (Region A)

Been thinking about picking up Door into Darkness. Mansion of the Living Dead is AWfull though.

Old 29th January 2009, 12:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
Just got Bruno Mattei's Strike Commando on VHS in a charity shop for 50p.
If you're lucky this MAY be uncut.The BBFC requested cuts of about 48 seconds due to a cock-fighting sequence.However my big box Avatar video version had the sequence intact.Got rid of it though when I moved to dvd though I don't know if this is out anywhere.BBFC:-
http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classi...E?OpenDocument
Old 29th January 2009, 12:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meakin View Post
If you're Lucky this MAY be uncut.The BBFC requested cuts of about 48 seconds due to a cock-fighting sequence.However my big box Avatar video version had the sequence intact.Got rid of it though when I moved to dvd though I don't know if this is out anywhere.
The Avatar edition is what i just got, looks like someone has cut the sleeve to fit in a small box.

Old 29th January 2009, 12:39 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
Been thinking about picking up Door into Darkness. Mansion of the Living Dead is AWfull though.
I've held off importing from the US for a while (until recently) due to inflation, but I can't wait anymore for certain titles. Door into Dakness (my first from Mya) is a must and I'll be 'picking up' Pieces, The Beyond and Madhouse (1981) next week. I held off buying Severin's Mansion after hearing it was awful, but an amazon seller had it listed for too low a price to pass up on .
Old 29th January 2009, 12:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've had Mansion twice, the R1 when it first came out and the uk disc in the Franco box.

Old 29th January 2009, 02:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I have the Jess Franco v.2 collection and despite being a fan of him I found a lot in that set to be almost unwatchable. Mansion is one of the better films from it and minus an interview it's identical to the R1 Severin release so personally I'd recommend you grab the box set and save yourself a fortune.

I have the German Door Into Darkness set and remember paying loads for it. I hear the Mya set isn't a major upgrade on that so I'll wait for some screenshots before deciding if I'll double dip or not. It's a fantastic mini-series showing the beginning of Argento's transition from making the Animal Trilogy to his later nastier films such as Deep Red and Inferno etc.
Old 29th January 2009, 03:00 PM
Cultist in Training

Well I can't say I'm a fan of Franco. I don't like the majority of films that I've seen and because of the Christopher Lee link I own quite a few regardless. Mansion of the Living Dead is supposedly atmospheric which I like so I'm curious but not expecting anything special.

I didn't get around to buying the Dragon release of Door, but at £17 for four movies I'm getting very decent value for money. I'm looking forward to Argento's 'The Tram' most of all, but it'll be interesting to compare the two assumedly different styles of 'Eyewitness' due to Argento directing part of the story. Alongside My Bloody Valentine, Door Into Darkness is the one I'm craving most.
Old 29th January 2009, 03:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I like Franco's horror output and his films which have a bit of edge to them. His sexploitation films though more often than not bore me to tears. They're well made in that they look the part, Mansion at times is dreamlike and something like Macumba Sexual for example is hypnotic, but take away the 'look' and they're empty offerings I feel.

I think with postage my Door Into Darkness set was 35 euros or something from Sazuma. This might surprise you but my favourite episode is "The Neighbour" by Luigi Cozzi of all people. Cozzi has done some real shit in his time but that episode shows that given the right circumstances he can do a very well made thriller. I won't give much away but it's very tense. Did you know that The Tram was a part of Bird With The Crystal Plumage that was never filmed? It's one scene stretched out to around an hour and I didn't like it that much, it was too talky but it wasn't too bad overall. Eyewitness is my favourite Argento-directed episode, it's classic Argento, especially the final 15 minutes. Just beware the lead actress' face, she looks like Michael Jackson gone wrong! oh and I think the final episode gets some unfair stick.

No Dario Argento collection is complete without Door Into Darkness, and it doesn't just make up the numbers either.

Like this? Share it using the links below!