Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179040Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th August 2011, 08:08 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
PINEAPPLE EXPRESS - First 20 mins were slightly annoying but after that it got better and was pretty funny and quite violent.
I love that film!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.616022,-0.260567
Old 17th August 2011, 08:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Am I the only person who actually likes AvP and Alien:Resurrection?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.734487,-1.831781
- The boat can leave now, tell the crew
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 17th August 2011, 08:56 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Probably not as I quite like Alien Resurrection as it's a visually stylish and well constructed film which is quite watchable.

As for AVP, there may be a few people who like it for what it is, but not many!
Old 17th August 2011, 09:11 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

DryJack, just read your post on Inside and completely agree with everything you said. It's one of my favourite contemporary Euro horrors and, as basically a film with two characters, has startling performances by the two women.

Along with films like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and, more recently, films like Frontiers, Them and Martyrs defines 'ordeal horror' – a film that grabs you, near the beginning and put you through the ringer until the end credits roll.

I reviewed it ages ago and have just read through what I wrote and my opinion hasn't changed one bit. It would be interesting to see whether you agree.

Inside: Unrated DVD Review
Old 17th August 2011, 09:43 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
I read that, Anderson was made to trim it from 130mins to 90mins due to test screenings. The Vision of Hell thing was supposed to be longer and more intone with Hellraiser...

A lot of dialouge, character development and build up was removed.

The film as written was supposed to build much more slowly and carefully, like the shining or the haunting, and indeed the visions of hell and the posession of sam neill were supposed to be much more graphic and disturbing.

But then it got test screened in texas, where the audience complained of too much talking and not enough action and the whole thing was butchered.

As for Avp, I stick by my opinions on this one, I just found it terribly terribly boring, stupid and poorley executed. Alien 4, AVP... none of these are scary films in any way. At least predators was entertaining.
Old 17th August 2011, 10:06 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

watched Necromantik last night, and after all these years, love IS strange seems to be the moral of the story.
Also watched fair chunk of the wonderful Davis/Brydon series Human Remains, which continued the overriding theme set by jorg's opus. recommended to fans of dark humor.
Old 17th August 2011, 10:15 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
DryJack, just read your post on Inside and completely agree with everything you said. It's one of my favourite contemporary Euro horrors and, as basically a film with two characters, has startling performances by the two women.

Along with films like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and, more recently, films like Frontiers, Them and Martyrs defines 'ordeal horror' – a film that grabs you, near the beginning and put you through the ringer until the end credits roll.

I reviewed it ages ago and have just read through what I wrote and my opinion hasn't changed one bit. It would be interesting to see whether you agree.

Inside: Unrated DVD Review
Hello mate. Just read your review and I think it's spot on. The two female leads do an amazingly convincing job. It would have been easy for the movie to become absurd but it never does (even the police are realsitic). I watched Frontiers a few weeks ago and loved it but I haven't got round to watching Martyrs yet (although it's been highly recommended by a couple of mates). I was horrified to see there may be an American remake of Inside. There's no way it could have the same impact.
Old 17th August 2011, 10:29 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The American remake of Inside was on the cards when I first saw the film several years ago and I really don't see it happening now -- the content needs to be so extreme it would be hard pushed to get an R rating.

As for Martyrs, it's a film you should see as soon as possible as, if you liked Inside and Frontiers, you're bound to love it as it has the same extreme level of violence but takes it to another level with an unforgettable ending.

If you're interested, my review is here: Martyrs Blu-ray Review
Old 17th August 2011, 10:56 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
The American remake of Inside was on the cards when I first saw the film several years ago and I really don't see it happening now -- the content needs to be so extreme it would be hard pushed to get an R rating.

As for Martyrs, it's a film you should see as soon as possible as, if you liked Inside and Frontiers, you're bound to love it as it has the same extreme level of violence but takes it to another level with an unforgettable ending.

If you're interested, my review is here: Martyrs Blu-ray Review
Your review of Martyrs convinced me I need to see this film. Just ordered it from Amazon.
Old 17th August 2011, 10:59 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post

---
I am here: Google Maps
- The boat can leave now, tell the crew
Nope, I think their both fun/silly popcorn munchers. I find it kinda funny when a film I think is ok gets derided on here as if it was made by the nazi's or something, ha ha, quite like Event Horizon as well(even with it's problems) so there.

Like this? Share it using the links below!