Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th August 2011, 11:22 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

AVP isn't a bad film at all.

AVP Requiem is terrible though.

However neither film can quite compare to Jonah Hex.

The entire world said it was a poor film, i borrowed it from a friend who said "Its dire, if you like it, keep it, i don't want it back".

During the first twenty minutes it seemed a fun revenge themed western with outlandish action. "I am going to like this" thought i.
As the film moved towards the half hour mark it became apparent that none of the scenes were interlinked, it felt like i was watching a deleted scenes special feature on "play all" mode.

Megan Fox whose career is surely now dead in the water had around 7 minutes screen time as the most glamorous prostitute in town, yet failed to show even a hint of flesh. Since when do grubby western prostitutes walk round in a bed sheet. So sorry to all of Megan's followers, but i hope thats the last of her.

Jonah Hex makes other great failiures such as The Avengers seem like Casablanca*.

*Casablanca will never ever be mentioned in the same sentence as Jonah Hex again. (Well apart from this one obviously)
Old 17th August 2011, 11:38 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I completely agree with you on Jonah Hex. It was so badly made, clumsily edited and so utterly disjointed, not to mention atrociously acted, that it's no wonder fans of the comic book hated it and those who hadn't read the comic had no idea what was going on. It's one of the worst films I've seen in recent years and, as you say, makes AVP look like a minor masterpiece.
Old 17th August 2011, 11:38 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Probably not as I quite like Alien Resurrection as it's a visually stylish and well constructed film which is quite watchable.

As for AVP, there may be a few people who like it for what it is, but not many!
I know what I'm about to say will be blasphemy but after having an Alien "fest"! and watching all 4 'theatrical cuts' over two nights I can honestly say that Alien Resurrection was easily the film I enjoyed the most. Alien was the best in terms of it being a classic for it's time but seriously Resurrection was just so much fun. More action, more gore and it looked stunning (wouldn't expect any less from Jeunet) so I really don't understand why it was panned at all.
I'll do another weekend where I'll watch the 'Extended/Director cuts' of each and see if I change my mind the second time around but for now Resurrection is the best 'Alien' film I've seen.

God damn I can be brave sometimes Bring on the onslaught

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 17th August 2011, 11:40 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

You're a brave man, Ant, very brave indeed! I wonder whether your opinion will stand up after watching the extended/director's cuts of the four films, though.
Old 17th August 2011, 11:40 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

both AvP movies are dire end of
they made them to appeal to the new "mtv generation" of teens and its a watered down action flick just made to make money off both franchises. pg13 garbage tbh.

Now with Ridley's Prometheus also being pg13 is a worry BUT it is Ridley Scott and the script was re worked by Damon Lindelof so there is a chance it will still be awesome.

Ant Resurrection is pretty bad tbh in both forms but its better then both the AvP flicks thats for sure

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 17th August 2011, 11:49 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Ant Resurrection is pretty bad tbh in both forms but its better then both the AvP flicks thats for sure
The thing is, it really isn't bad at all, it seems to me that I've watched a different film to everyone else cos I thought it was a great film ( I wasn't drunk whjilst watching it either... honest)
I'd read about it not being a great film on many occasions before so came into it expecting not much at all but it honestly surprised me and I had a grin from ear to ear whilst watching it. It was just so much more enjoyable, maybe it was the extra gore, bigger budget, better effects and more action than the others that kept me intrigued.... maybe
I'll admit the acting wasn't always the best, Winona Ryder kind of peed me off a little but the rest of it was great

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 17th August 2011, 11:50 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Am I the only person who actually likes AvP and Alien:Resurrection?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.734487,-1.831781
- The boat can leave now, tell the crew
Na I like them both, I thought resurrection was really good

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.705682,-0.327950
Old 17th August 2011, 11:50 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Prometheus is being shot both PG 13 and R.

The studio (Fox) didn't want to invest so much in an R rated film for theatrical release, but it will be out on disc as an R.
Old 17th August 2011, 11:57 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Prometheus is being shot both PG 13 and R.

The studio (Fox) didn't want to invest so much in an R rated film for theatrical release, but it will be out on disc as an R.
got confirmation??
Ridley said at comic con it was pg13

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
The thing is, it really isn't bad at all, it seems to me that I've watched a different film to everyone else cos I thought it was a great film ( I wasn't drunk whjilst watching it either... honest)
I'd read about it not being a great film on many occasions before so came into it expecting not much at all but it honestly surprised me and I had a grin from ear to ear whilst watching it. It was just so much more enjoyable, maybe it was the extra gore, bigger budget, better effects and more action than the others that kept me intrigued.... maybe
I'll admit the acting wasn't always the best, Winona Ryder kind of peed me off a little but the rest of it was great
oh I agree it was fun and the action was good but its still not a "good" movie like the first 2 and the workprint of the 3rd.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 17th August 2011, 11:58 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Whilst I think that Resurrection is the weakest film from the main Alien (not including the vs. Predator titles here) franchise, I really like it. It falls apart a bit at the end, but it's certainly a film that is undeserving of all the critiscism thrown its way, in my opinion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!