Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th January 2009, 03:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

CURSE OF THE ZODIAC.

I can safely say,after watching this last night,its up there with some of the worst films i've ever seen. Utter,unredeeming crap.Lommel should be ashamed. Avoid at all costs.
Old 29th January 2009, 05:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

My latest buy was On the Buses - the complete series box set, which should keep me busy for a bit! If there's no announcement on a UK release for My Bloody Valentine, I'll be getting that on import too.
Old 29th January 2009, 06:45 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracucarr View Post
I've held off importing from the US for a while (until recently) due to inflation, but I can't wait anymore for certain titles. Door into Dakness (my first from Mya) is a must and I'll be 'picking up' Pieces, The Beyond and Madhouse (1981) next week. I held off buying Severin's Mansion after hearing it was awful, but an amazon seller had it listed for too low a price to pass up on .
Get those PIECES and BEYOND discs Drac,you'll never see 'em in better packages....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 29th January 2009, 06:51 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

got the Mad Max trilogy today
i know what im doing tonight - Gibson fest.
'...I believe in murder...I believe in pain...I believe in cruelty and infidelity...I believe in slime...and every putrid crawling thing...and every possible ugliness..and corruption...you son of a bitch!...'
Old 29th January 2009, 07:03 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Wish Warner would do a special edition of MAD MAX 2 Jim,with original vhs-like artwork.....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 29th January 2009, 07:04 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

im easy aslong as i get my Mel fix haha
ive watched ALL the lethal weapon films this week too...whats wrong with me!!!
'...I believe in murder...I believe in pain...I believe in cruelty and infidelity...I believe in slime...and every putrid crawling thing...and every possible ugliness..and corruption...you son of a bitch!...'
Old 29th January 2009, 07:07 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Mad Mel-entertaining as hell-that's what.....

Old 29th January 2009, 07:19 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

yeh he was quality in the 80's/early 90's before he went all anti-semetic and mental.
Old 29th January 2009, 09:14 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
I like Franco's horror output and his films which have a bit of edge to them. His sexploitation films though more often than not bore me to tears. They're well made in that they look the part, Mansion at times is dreamlike and something like Macumba Sexual for example is hypnotic, but take away the 'look' and they're empty offerings I feel.

I think with postage my Door Into Darkness set was 35 euros or something from Sazuma. This might surprise you but my favourite episode is "The Neighbour" by Luigi Cozzi of all people. Cozzi has done some real shit in his time but that episode shows that given the right circumstances he can do a very well made thriller. I won't give much away but it's very tense. Did you know that The Tram was a part of Bird With The Crystal Plumage that was never filmed? It's one scene stretched out to around an hour and I didn't like it that much, it was too talky but it wasn't too bad overall. Eyewitness is my favourite Argento-directed episode, it's classic Argento, especially the final 15 minutes. Just beware the lead actress' face, she looks like Michael Jackson gone wrong! oh and I think the final episode gets some unfair stick.

No Dario Argento collection is complete without Door Into Darkness, and it doesn't just make up the numbers either.
You can probably guess a lot of the Franco I own due to Christopher Lee, but I have some without his presence, notably the un-Franco like Faceless and b/w efforts like The Awful Dr. Orloff. My two personal favourites though are The Diabolical Dr. Z and the dreamy Virgin Among The Living Dead. There are a number I can sit through, but compared to how many he has made then it's a drop in the ocean. I am more intrigued that you say Mansion is dreamlike. That's a good quality in certain films I appreciate. Virgin Among The Living Dead is such a film that is totally 'empty' without the atmosphere and haunting visuals. The fact that it has an abundance of those though is why it's one of the few winners for me.

I am surprised Luigi Cozzi's 'Door' segment is your fave actually. As a director he normally bores the pants off me (Contamination included) so it'll be interesting to see if I agree with you. It'll be refreshing if so and I haven't totally ruled him out as a poor director. I'm soon going to watch The Paganini Horror, which sounds a riot. Oh and as for Michael Jackson gone wrong - at which stage of his life would that be though, lol?
Old 29th January 2009, 09:20 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Franco is an acquired taste,and as Cloudy says,most of his sleaze 'epics' are a better sedative than diazepam......

Like this? Share it using the links below!