Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

J Harker 3rd August 2016 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 500024)
What are you actually insinuating?

A film you haven't seen (The Dressmaker) puts you off another film you haven't seen (The Witch). :confused:

A film that looks awful (The Dressmaker) puts me off one that looks brilliant (The Witch) when a trusted expert such as yourself rates them so close together. Plus i bought The Dressmaker for Mrs Harker a few weeks back, even she didn't think much of it and she likes some rubbish. But yeah...i haven't seen either so I'll shut up now. Go post some indecipherable bollocks in the bananas thread....

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd August 2016 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 500028)
A film that looks awful (The Dressmaker) puts me off one that looks brilliant (The Witch) when a trusted expert such as yourself rates them so close together. Plus i bought The Dressmaker for Mrs Harker a few weeks back, even she didn't think much of it and she likes some rubbish. But yeah...i haven't seen either so I'll shut up now. Go post some indecipherable bollocks in the bananas thread....

The fact that your wife didn't think much of it should offer you hope then.

Does she like spaghetti revenge westerns? as it's closer to them or Tarantino than it is any rom-com

keirarts 3rd August 2016 05:31 PM

Jason Bore

Oh god, sorry... Jason Bourne

Imagine the previous Bourne films. Then surgically extract things like plot, character development. Craft an a-z global trek based around talking points for Guardian readers and you have the film. In fairness the action films were fairly decent but Paul greengrass's shakey docu-style seems to gone into overdrive and the whole film feels like it was shot on a boat in a hurricane before being edited by J harker after a week off the scotch ;).

J Harker 3rd August 2016 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 500031)

Does she like spaghetti revenge westerns? as it's closer to them or Tarantino than it is any rom-com

Nope. But you yourself once suggested she clearly had better taste in films than i did. [emoji38]

Cinematic Shocks 3rd August 2016 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 499934)
If you had to give the individual films/stories scores, what would they be?

I probably should’ve rated each part to begin with, as yeah they're completely unrelated films apart from being adapted from works by Edgar Allan Poe. I think I’d just give each film a *** out of ***** as it’s just a matter of having to choose one over the other if I was forced to choose which would be for me ‘The Black Cat’. Having Harvey Keitel as its lead helps. Both films are pretty good but neither is some of the filmmakers’ best work but they're very enjoyable.

J Harker 3rd August 2016 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 500031)

In my defense the packaging hardly makes this look like a Tarantinoesque spag revenge western. I thought it looked like The Notebook or Dear John. One of those Nicolas Sparks romance jobs.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...eb9b5f037b.jpg

J Harker 3rd August 2016 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 500042)
Jason Bore

Oh god, sorry... Jason Bourne
Paul greengrass's shakey docu-style seems to gone into overdrive and the whole film feels like it was shot on a boat in a hurricane before being edited by J harker after a week off the scotch ;).

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

trebor8273 3rd August 2016 08:08 PM

Secret of my success

Great feel good comedy starring Michael J Fox as I young man that moves to new York to try to get a job in big business. After a number of failures he managers to get a job from his uncle but that's only in the mail room, he is soon suduced by his aunt and ends up taking over on empty office and pretending that he is an executive. Soon he falls for a young woman ( Helen Slater) who is having an affair with his uncle who is head of the company, which is ripe for a hostel take over . 8/10

Night of the demon

Despite its age its a fantastically chilling and atmospheric movie. A scientist is sent from america to England tos disprove the paranormal and a satanic cult, he soon has doubts when the leader of the cult curses him with a demon that will kill him in a few days. 9.3/10

Next tonight

Space children
Witch Hunt (1994)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd August 2016 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 500056)
In my defense the packaging hardly makes this look like Tarantinoesque spag revenge western. I thought it looked like The Notebook or Dear John. One of those Nicolas Sparks romance jobs.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...eb9b5f037b.jpg

Yeah, from that cover I wouldn't have given it a second glance. However, thanks to Dem's review it's now on my rental list.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd August 2016 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 500062)
Yeah, from that cover I wouldn't have given it a second glance. However, thanks to Dem's review it's now on my rental list.

It's not an awful lot different to the Near Dark UK cover.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd August 2016 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 500063)

Don't remind me of that abomination - especially for such a classic vampire tale, and the indisputable best vampire film of 1987. ;)

J Harker 3rd August 2016 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 500063)

Really?
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...1a7cdf276e.jpg
I still have this one
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...cdd30be9f8.jpg

Make Them Die Slowly 3rd August 2016 08:44 PM

Quote:

Don't trust him, he likes Dagon.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 3rd August 2016 08:51 PM

Quote:

You know the saying 'don't judge a book by its cover'? The same applies to films!

I rented and saw The Dressmaker some time ago and loved it. I believe someone, possibly the director, made the analogy of the film being like Unforgiven, only with a sewing machine instead of a shotgun, which is a very apt description.

Cinematic Shocks 3rd August 2016 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 500064)
Don't remind me of that abomination - especially for such a classic vampire tale, and the indisputable best vampire film of 1987. ;)

'The Lost Boys' is great too. :p

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd August 2016 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 500082)

I do too!

It's nowhere near as good as The Call of Cthulhu though. ;)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd August 2016 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 500086)
You know the saying 'don't judge a book by its cover'? The same applies to films!

I rented and saw The Dressmaker some time ago and loved it. I believe someone, possibly the director, made the analogy of the film being like Unforgiven, only with a sewing machine instead of a shotgun, which is a very apt description.

They've only got themselves to blame with a cover like that! Talk about poor marketing...

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd August 2016 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks (Post 500088)

Hush you. ;)

Make Them Die Slowly 3rd August 2016 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks (Post 500088)

I saw someone with a 'The Lost Boys' tattoo yesterday. Sadly there were too many people around for me to rip his arm off and beat him to death with it.

J Harker 3rd August 2016 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 500093)
They've only got themselves to blame with a cover like that! Talk about poor marketing...

When i saw it on the shelf i just figured it was this sort of drivel.
Heck the cover is virtually identical to the first one.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...65de4c44f5.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...b9a3bd460f.jpg
So i bought it for the wife, because she generally likes that sort of drivel.

Make Them Die Slowly 3rd August 2016 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 500097)
When i saw it on the shelf i just figured it was this sort of drivel
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...65de4c44f5.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...b9a3bd460f.jpg
So i bought it for the wife, because she generally likes that sort of drivel.

We know you aren't married and your 'wife' is you with a dress and wig on talking to yourself in the mirror.

trebor8273 3rd August 2016 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 500082)

I like it as well as lost boys so make of that what you will.

Make Them Die Slowly 3rd August 2016 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 500099)
I like it as well as lost boys so make of that what you will.

You are now on my Purge list.

J Harker 3rd August 2016 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 500098)
We know you aren't married and your 'wife' is you with a dress and wig on talking to yourself in the mirror.

Right so whats your point?? In good company round here aren't i?? [emoji6]

Deadite 3rd August 2016 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 500058)
Night of the demon

Despite its age its a fantastically chilling and atmospheric movie. A scientist is sent from america to England tos disprove the paranormal and a satanic cult, he soon has doubts when the leader of the cult curses him with a demon that will kill him in a few days. 9.3/10

Night of the Demon is one of the best films ever made!

Bonus points for having Brian Wilde in it and his line "It's in the trees! It's coming!" at the beginning of Hounds of Love by Kate Bush...

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd August 2016 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 500102)
Right so whats your point?? In good company round here aren't i?? [emoji6]

He's sure got us rumbled.

*Downs feather boa and legs it*

:makelikeatree:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 3rd August 2016 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 500093)

It is a very poor cover which is advertising the romantic subplot rather than the main revenge story. It doesn't show how have funny and wickedly twisted the film can be, but I can't think of an image that would.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd August 2016 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 500108)
It is a very poor cover which is advertising the romantic subplot rather than the main revenge story. It doesn't show how have funny and wickedly twisted the film can be, but I can't think of an image that would.

Perhaps a knife severing an artery and blood covering the kitchen floor.

J Harker 3rd August 2016 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 500110)
Perhaps a knife severing an artery and blood covering the kitchen floor.

Ok ok I'll watch the thing! Even the write up on the back doesn't really describe what you pair are on about.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd August 2016 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 500111)
Ok ok I'll watch the thing! Even the write up on the back doesn't really describe what you pair are on about.

:D

J Harker 3rd August 2016 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 500113)
:D

Box says Kate Winslets charcter goes home to some small nowhere town in Oz, kits out the local women in some nice dresses and shags Thor's brother. And somehow gets revenge by doing so. Sounded like utter twoddle.

Rik 3rd August 2016 11:27 PM

Just finished watching The Witch, and like others have said it is a fantastic film, worthy of all the praise it's been getting!
5/5

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th August 2016 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 500111)

You mean it doesn't say "Unforgiven with a sewing machine"? How disappointing!

In any case, who are you going to believe: a PR company or two trusty moderators? ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th August 2016 10:35 AM

Mansion of the Living Dead (1982)

Four young women turn up at a remote holiday resort and a largely empty hotel awaits them, an hotel empty but for the deranged owner, the wife he keeps chained up in a room and a band of living dead monks.

Despite having some potential, Mansion of the Living Dead is a rather weak horror film from Spanish directorial legend Jess Franco. Concentrating more on the four girls including regular Lina Romay, the film's first half is non-stop soft core sex courtesy of Franco's roving camera.

It's not until the half way stage that we are introduced to the dead monks who look uncannily like Amando de Ossorio's Blind Dead Templar's. Franco's film comes over as a pale imitation lacking the class and atmosphere of de Ossorio's masterpieces.

The living dead monks look okay in their white hooded cloaks and skeletal faces but unfortunately lack any real menace, in fact all they do is rape Romay and another girl at different points of the film...and that's about it. The sub plot regarding the hotelier and his imprisoned wife seems like a time wasting affair to make this a feature length production and doesn't really add anything to what little storyline there is.

However if it's female flesh you want to see then you won't be disappointed. Romay, again billed here as Candy Costa, and her three friends waste no time in disrobing or wearing the most revealing outfits possible and make their intentions clear within the first five minutes. 'If we can't find a man, then we'll have fun ourselves' is a line said more than once in the introductory sequences.

Demoncrat 4th August 2016 02:44 PM

Watched The VVitch.

Revievv tomorrovv..........;)

Susan Foreman 4th August 2016 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 500183)
Watched The VVitch.

Revievv tomorrovv..........;)

Missed a trick there, Mr. Crat!

trebor8273 4th August 2016 07:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Space children 6/10

Alien 2 On Earth 4.4/10

Witch Hunt 8/10

J Harker 4th August 2016 10:43 PM

Currently watching The Witch, about two thirds and I'm considering switching it off. Very very disappointing.

Deadite 4th August 2016 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 500264)
Currently watching The Witch, about two thirds and I'm considering switching it off. Very very disappointing.

gag 4th August 2016 11:34 PM

Has anyone seen this?
A friend watched said it was good.
But i can barely find anything about it.

SUNRISE *¤…*¤°*¥*¤£*¥‹*¤¦*¤¯ – A film by Partho Sen-Gupta