Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd August 2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 175932)
I watched My Darling Clementine this afternoon, which is a great Western and up there with John Ford's best -- Henry Fonda is terrific as Wyatt Earp.

I have that excellent film in steel book format from the Fox Cinema Reserve collection.

A two disc set which includes a commentary and an alternate version of the film.

kingofwitches666 23rd August 2011 12:39 AM

Went to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes at the cinema today & you know what? I bloody enjoyed it!

I thought it had quite an intelligent storyline, very much grounded in reality making the whole concept a lot more plausable. The CGI was great & the characterisation of the apes was brilliant (take a bow Mr Serkis).

Even the sentimental parts of the film with Caesar growing up help to re-enforce the empathy you feel for him & his plight.

As a big fan of the Ape franchise (bar the Tim Burton abortion!) this is a welcome addition for me. Recommended. :nod:

pedromonkey 23rd August 2011 01:20 AM

Watched many a film today, well had on the background while A-Z'ing the dvds...

Road House: AWESOME-ness on a stick, Swayze as Dalton, Sam Elliot being all kinds of bad ass, Ben Gazzara being an absolute dick and Kelly Lynch's Boobs all make for an entertaining slice of 80s fun, Great Soundtrack Too...

Singing In The Rain: Love this flick, I can watch any ****ed up horror movie and still once in a while watch a film that is an absolute treat. Gene Kelly's Choreography is Jaw Dropping, Jean Hagen as Lena Lamont is a hoot, Donald O'Conner's Make 'em Laugh number is cracking and Debbie Reynolds is cute as Cathy. Very funny film.

SCRE4M: After the abysmal My Soul To Take, Wes Craven is sort of back on form with this Kevin Williamson written Sequel. There's nothing new here, nothing added, cliche'd and the usual scream style killings. Quite gory for a 15 but like the previous three, it's enjoyable as a straight slice of Slasher action. Worth a look if you like the previous films.

nekromantik 23rd August 2011 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 176002)

Road House: AWESOME-ness on a stick, Swayze as Dalton, Sam Elliot being all kinds of bad ass, Ben Gazzara being an absolute dick and Kelly Lynch's Boobs all make for an entertaining slice of 80s fun, Great Soundtrack Too...

Singing In The Rain: Love this flick, I can watch any ****ed up horror movie and still once in a while watch a film that is an absolute treat. Gene Kelly's Choreography is Jaw Dropping, Jean Hagen as Lena Lamont is a hoot, Donald O'Conner's Make 'em Laugh number is cracking and Debbie Reynolds is cute as Cathy. Very funny film.

SCRE4M: After the abysmal My Soul To Take, Wes Craven is sort of back on form with this Kevin Williamson written Sequel. There's nothing new here, nothing added, cliche'd and the usual scream style killings. Quite gory for a 15 but like the previous three, it's enjoyable as a straight slice of Slasher action. Worth a look if you like the previous films.

:eek:

disagree
it was terrible and not needed.
yes it was better then My Soul but come on, that dont take much :lol:
I hope it ends the scream sequels.
the whole first half was trying to be something different and then by the 2nd half it was back to generic scream formula which I would have preferred throughout the film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd August 2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 175979)
I have that excellent film in steel book format from the Fox Cinema Reserve collection.

A two disc set which includes a commentary and an alternate version of the film.

Mine's the same except it's in an Amaray and the disc is dual sided. I'm going to watch it again at some point and check out the commentary.

pedromonkey 23rd August 2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 176003)
:eek:

disagree
it was terrible and not needed.
yes it was better then My Soul but come on, that dont take much :lol:
I hope it ends the scream sequels.
the whole first half was trying to be something different and then by the 2nd half it was back to generic scream formula which I would have preferred throughout the film.

i liked it because it was just that, another scream movie, it stuck with the same formula which worked previously, it aint gonna win any awards but it was fun.

Any ways just finished watching the extended Work print cut of Alien 3, with over 30 minutes of additional material, very good film when you think of the production troubles it had, Fincher's visuals are brilliant and the Blu-ray looks amazing.

nekromantik 23rd August 2011 02:06 PM

i just thought the first half was trying too hard to do something different.
it was better then scream 3 however. that also tried to be different with the whole movie within a movie. it just dont work, they shud stick it the tried and tested formula from the first 2 flicks.

plus the whole new "social" technology thing was very lame.

Make Them Die Slowly 23rd August 2011 06:35 PM

Just watched "Trouble Every Day", kind of like watching Cronenberg in slow motion. Dull and lacking.

Gojirosan 23rd August 2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 176002)

Singin' In The Rain is on of the greatest films ever made. A genuine masterpiece and one of Hollywood's pinnacle achievements. I love it. Gene Kelly is superb. Dammit, they are all superb! WHERE THE BLU-RAY AT?

Road House, though...nah...still don't see it! :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd August 2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 176243)
Singin' In The Rain is on of the greatest films ever made. A genuine masterpiece and one of Hollywood's pinnacle achievements. I love it. Gene Kelly is superb. Dammit, they are all superb! WHERE THE BLU-RAY AT?

Road House, though...nah...still don't see it! :lol:

I'm another one who loves Singin' in the Rain and it's been far too long since I saw it. It is one of the greatest musicals ever made and is up there with Mary Poppins and South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut as my favourite in the genre.

That being said, whenever I think of the title song, Malcolm McDowell is always singing it!

I haven't seen Road House, but it is in my Lovefilm rental queue.