Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Frankenhooker 18th August 2016 07:32 AM

The Black Dahlia is one of my favourite books, De Palma one of my favourite directors. I didn't think much of the released film at all. There are pacing problems, obviously the result of cutting around 60 minutes of material. De Palma's original cut ran an hour longer and allegedly fleshed out the characters more, Bucky especially.

Ellroy watched the original cut and loved it, apparently it's like a totally different film. The released edit, not so much.

There is still much to enjoy, but it just doesn't hang together well. Hopefully, one day, we get a restored release.

iank 18th August 2016 08:34 AM

Saw The Shallows at the cinema today. A young female surfer is terrorised and stalked by a killer shark in an isolated beach miles from civilisation in this passable if fairly unremarkable thriller. Watchable but nothing special.
There were three trailers at the start of the film, one for a thriller that looked passable (The Girl on the Train) and two for "comedies" (and I use the word advisedly), one called Why Him? with James Franco and Bryan Cranston and one with Isla Fisher and nooneelseievenremotelyrecognise. Both looked absolutely awful, truly ghastly and painful just to watch the "humour" in the trailers. Dear God, spare me. :nono::rolleyes::wise:

Justin101 18th August 2016 08:51 AM

I watched Purple Rain last night. I've never seen it before, I've never really been interested in Prince before apart from the Batman soundtrack but I'm happy to report I had a blast watching it.

I mean let's get this straight, it's a terrible film :lol: I've never seen 'acting' like it outside of Italy in the 80's and the leads, Prince and Apollonia, have a terrible chemistry together, watching them kiss on screen was akin to a pair of dead trout smooching. However, something about the film works - it's really fun and all of the club scenes are excellent, especially those with Morris Day and The Time (now I get that bit in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back...) but the story is pants! The whole strand about the parents being in an absuive relationship seemed at odds with the rest of the story, which was Apollonia wanting to make it big and going with Prince's rival Morris.

Anyway, i don't think there is a better representation of the 1984 dance scene than this film, recommended!

gag 18th August 2016 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 501874)
Saw The Shallows at the cinema today. A young female surfer is terrorised and stalked by a killer shark in an isolated beach miles from civilisation in this passable if fairly unremarkable thriller. Watchable but nothing special.
There were three trailers at the start of the film, one for a thriller that looked passable (The Girl on the Train) and two for "comedies" (and I use the word advisedly), one called Why Him? with James Franco and Bryan Cranston and one with Isla Fisher and nooneelseievenremotelyrecognise. Both looked absolutely awful, truly ghastly and painful just to watch the "humour" in the trailers. Dear God, spare me. :nono::rolleyes::wise:

Sorry im tickled by youre review :lol:
Stalked by a shark, :pound: trying to imagine a shark following her around.

iank 18th August 2016 09:14 AM

It's clearly got a thing for her. ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th August 2016 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 501877)
I watched Purple Rain last night. I've never seen it before, I've never really been interested in Prince before apart from the Batman soundtrack but I'm happy to report I had a blast watching it.

I mean let's get this straight, it's a terrible film :lol: I've never seen 'acting' like it outside of Italy in the 80's and the leads, Prince and Apollonia, have a terrible chemistry together, watching them kiss on screen was akin to a pair of dead trout smooching. However, something about the film works - it's really fun and all of the club scenes are excellent, especially those with Morris Day and The Time (now I get that bit in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back...) but the story is pants! The whole strand about the parents being in an absuive relationship seemed at odds with the rest of the story, which was Apollonia wanting to make it big and going with Prince's rival Morris.

Anyway, i don't think there is a better representation of the 1984 dance scene than this film, recommended!

I feel exactly the same way.

I'm pretty certain that Kevin Smith is a huge Purple Rain fan as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaoJZ0wADIQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC-BUoFtZPA

Justin101 18th August 2016 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 501880)
I feel exactly the same way.

I'm pretty certain that Kevin Smith is a huge Purple Rain fan as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaoJZ0wADIQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC-BUoFtZPA

I can't wait to watch Graffiti Bridge now either, just need to find a DVD of it somewhere.

keirarts 18th August 2016 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 501870)
The Black Dahlia is one of my favourite books, De Palma one of my favourite directors. I didn't think much of the released film at all. There are pacing problems, obviously the result of cutting around 60 minutes of material. De Palma's original cut ran an hour longer and allegedly fleshed out the characters more, Bucky especially.

Ellroy watched the original cut and loved it, apparently it's like a totally different film. The released edit, not so much.

There is still much to enjoy, but it just doesn't hang together well. Hopefully, one day, we get a restored release.

Yeah, I held off getting the blu-ray until recently in hope of a directors cut. I still like the butchered version well enough but it is a flawed movie certainly. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th August 2016 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 501879)
It's clearly got a thing for her. ;)

Me too. I shall be getting it. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th August 2016 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 501858)
I think you mean Big Bang Theory, not 3rd Rock. ;):dance:

Thanks, of course.

It's good to know at least one person reads the posts. :lol:

Justin101 18th August 2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 501885)

Have you watched Gossip Girl? :behindsofa:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th August 2016 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 501896)
Have you watched Gossip Girl? :behindsofa:

Er' no, i'm no that keen! :lol:

Justin101 18th August 2016 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 501900)
Er' no, i'm no that keen! :lol:

I've only watched a couple, Lively is fine in it, it's the boys who make it terrible unfortunately :lol:

gag 18th August 2016 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 501885)

What the film or stalked by the shark.?

trebor8273 18th August 2016 07:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Subspecies. 6/10

Trancers. 7.2/10

Went to see no mans land on Tuesday at the theater, enjoyed apart from one idiot who came with a packed lunch and a bag of sweets and spent the entire show making noise eating and unwrapping and wrapping food. Was also nice that the director and actors had a question and answer session for 20 minutes at this end.

Now watching a classic Christmas film, gremlins this version I got today the picture quality seems a improvement on the other blu ray version I used to have

Cinematic Shocks 19th August 2016 08:38 AM

Night of the Demons 2 (1994)

*** out of *****

J Harker 19th August 2016 10:08 AM

Went to see Star Trek Beyond last night. The third installment of the rebooted franchise sees Captain Kirk and his crew venture beyond a complex nebula/asteroid belt into uncharted space on a rescue mission. The other side they are ambushed by baddie Krall and his army of drones and stranded on an unknown planet. From Kralls ambush about 15 minutes in this one doesn't stop for breath, constant action and spectacle and refreshingly humour. Simon Peggs involvement in the writing shows i thought as this one felt a lot funnier than the others. He also seems to have a larger role in the film to. The film seems to focus less on the Kirk / Spock relationship and maybe more on other characters, Bones and Spock in particular. And the climax while it does feel a little bit like they nicked it from Guardians of the Galaxy does have one of the best uses of a song in a film ever with Beastie Boys Sabotage blasting out at a pivotal monent. I really enjoyed this one and the change of director doesn't seem to have made much difference.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th August 2016 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 501965)
Went to see Star Trek Beyond last night. The third installment of the rebooted franchise sees Captain Kirk and his crew venture beyond a complex nebula/asteroid belt into uncharted space on a rescue mission. The other side they are ambushed by baddie Krall and his army of drones and stranded on an unknown planet. From Kralls ambush about 15 minutes in this one doesn't stop for breath, constant action and spectacle and refreshingly humour. Simon Peggs involvement in the writing shows i thought as this one felt a lot funnier than the others. He also seems to have a larger role in the film to. The film seems to focus less on the Kirk / Spock relationship and maybe more on other characters, Bones and Spock in particular. And the climax while it does feel a little bit like they nicked it from Guardians of the Galaxy does have one of the best uses of a song in a film ever with Beastie Boys Sabotage blasting out at a pivotal monent. I really enjoyed this one and the change of director doesn't seem to have made much difference.

Good or bad, this film really doesn't sound anything like Star Trek. Just A.N. Other blockbuster sci-fi flick.

Justin101 19th August 2016 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 501966)
Good or bad, this film really doesn't sound anything like Star Trek. Just A.N. Other blockbuster sci-fi flick.

That's the only problem with this film, it looks spectacular, it's hi-octane, it's fun to watch etc, but it's not really Star Trek, it's a Blockbuster sci-fi that happens to have the Star Trek characters in it.

trebor8273 19th August 2016 10:49 AM

Quote:

i found it more star trek than the other two movies and you could say the same about most of the older movies as most are just action movies with the cast of either TNG or TOS in them the only ones being a real exception and having the spirit and message of the series are the motion picture, undiscovered country and to a lesser extent the voyage home

J Harker 19th August 2016 11:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 501967)
That's the only problem with this film, it looks spectacular, it's hi-octane, it's fun to watch etc, but it's not really Star Trek, it's a Blockbuster sci-fi that happens to have the Star Trek characters in it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 501974)
i found it more star trek than the other two movies and you could say the same about most of the older movies as most are just action movies with the cast of either TNG or TOS in them the only ones being a real exception and having the spirit and message of the series are the motion picture, undiscovered country and to a lesser extent the voyage home

I think it massively depends on your affection for the original series/movies. I have none and consider the three new films much more entertaining.

Justin101 19th August 2016 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 501976)
I think it massively depends on your affection for the original series/movies. I have none and consider the three new films much more entertaining.

I completely agree, and for me Star Trek is 'The Next Generation' and 'Voyager' which are very serious, or at least they take themselves very seriously.

That's not to say I don't like the new reboot series, I do, I really like them, but I go into them detached from the fact that they are Star Trek films. However I think that Bones and Spock are great in the new movies too, not so much Kirk and Uhuru... or Scotty :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th August 2016 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 501974)

I didn't think much of the Abrams reboot and never even bothered with the second film.

You mention The Undiscovered Country. That's the biggest action film of all the original ones.

As far as them being unlike the original ideas, i'd hardly say Wrath of Khan was exactly action packed after just watching it and The Search for Spock again this past week.

J Harker 19th August 2016 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 501979)
I completely agree, and for me Star Trek is 'The Next Generation' and 'Voyager' which are very serious, or at least they take themselves very seriously.

That's not to say I don't like the new reboot series, I do, I really like them, but I go into them detached from the fact that they are Star Trek films. However I think that Bones and Spock are great in the new movies too, not so much Kirk and Uhuru... or Scotty [emoji38]

Ah now see when i say the original series/movies I'm including the Next Generation in that. If anything Picards lot took a big shit on the franchise and gave the Abrams films a good head start. Never seen or have any interest in Voyager. And as for the cast i think Chris Pine is great, lets be honest was the Shats ever that good?? He looked old as the hills when they made The Motion Picture.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th August 2016 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 501982)
Ah now see when i say the original series/movies I'm including the Next Generation in that. If anything Picards lot took a big shit on the franchise and gave the Abrams films a good head start. Never seen or have any interest in Voyager.

I found the Picard films to be like the very best Next Gen stories, however they weren't like the majority of episodes as they were often quite bland.

Justin101 19th August 2016 11:27 AM

The Next Gen had a problem, and that was Gene Roddenberry, he insisted that people were more advanced in this day and age and conflict wasn't really a thing, so he insisted that the writers make episodes without conflict. As you all know, that's a terrible idea as a good story needs some issue to resolve. It got better though after Gene died sometime around season 3/4.

The TNG movies were great on the whole, the worst by far being 'Generations' but they were essentially extended TNG episodes with more money and better special effects, so in turn they still kept the 'feel' of it being Star Trek. They might not have been successful in being great films but they were very Star Trek.

J Harker 19th August 2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 501983)
I found the Picard films to be like the very best Next Gen stories, however they weren't like the majority of episodes as they were often quite bland.

From what ive seen of the Next Gen series (which is far from exhaustive) they all seemed to blend into one.

trebor8273 19th August 2016 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 501980)
I didn't think much of the Abrams reboot and never even bothered with the second film.

You mention The Undiscovered Country. That's the biggest action film of all the original ones.

As far as them being unlike the original ideas, i'd hardly say Wrath of Khan was exactly action packed after just watching it and The Search for Spock again this past week.

undiscovered country because of it paralleling the fall of soviet union etc at the time with the problems of the Klingon empire. it was very action packed but it did have a message and was personal for kirk, with coming to terms that the Klingon's aren't blood thirsty killers and the death of his son by Klingon's

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th August 2016 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 501987)
undiscovered country because of it paralleling the fall of soviet union etc at the time with the problems of the Klingon empire. it was very action packed but it did have a message and was personal for kirk, with coming to terms that the Klingon's aren't blood thirsty killers and the death of his son by Klingon's

The Kirk elements i felt were it's weakness. He killed the Klingons who murdered his son in Search for Spock, they seemed to drag it on for me.

However you are correct in your summing up. :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th August 2016 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 501976)

I'm exactly the same, and have really enjoyed the three films in the rebooted franchise. I found Beyond the weakest of the three, but certainly a highly enjoyable and very well made sci-fi-action-thriller which, just like Into Darkness, I'll pick up on BD when the price is right (probably 5 for £30 from HMV).

trebor8273 19th August 2016 06:15 PM

Just started horns which I had little interest in until the review a few days ago which peaked my interest

J Harker 19th August 2016 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 502066)
Just started horns which I had little interest in until the review a few days ago which peaked my interest

Horns is great!

Deadite 19th August 2016 07:53 PM

Cellular. I don't care what anyone says about this movie, i love it. Seen it a few times now. Notable really for a pre dork-helmet Chris Evans and Jason Stathom while he was still doing his bad American accents. Ridiculous product placement throughout but its one of those films i had no expectations for when i first saw it and thought it was fantastic. Of course it also features William H Macy wearing a green face pack! If that lot doesn't get you interested, nothing will.

Oh, it's about a kidnapping and an unlikely phone call to young prat Evans who is the kidnapped Kim Basinger's only link to the outside world. Oh, Kim Basinger's in it too!

4 out of 5.

trebor8273 19th August 2016 08:18 PM

Horns.

Well that far exceeded what little expectations I had. A young man Egg's is believed by nearly everyone in the small town he lives in that he brutal!ly killed his girlfriend. When he suddenly wakes up with a pair of horns growing out of his head and finds out he has the ability that people will tell their deepest secrets and subconscious desires so sets out to find who did kill her. Part horror, black comedy and murder mystery. Radcliffe is a lot better than I was expecting with a believable american accent the role is a far cry from the days of harry Potter. A film that now I have seen it will getting many more viewings. 8.7/10

Now watching splatter university another film that I've not seen before. Which might be followed by the pilot one of the greatest and one of my favorite TV shows of all time,twin peaks

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th August 2016 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 502082)
A young man Egg's

:lol:

trebor8273 19th August 2016 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 502083)
:lol:

I think I might need my hearing checked because it sounded like egg not Ig to me

iank 19th August 2016 09:20 PM

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase) wants to create the perfect Christmas holiday for his family... but that doesn't seem very likely with his family, or him running it! Beverly D'Angelo, Randy Quaid, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and a young Juliette Lewis and very young Johnny Galecki star in this fun and entertaining late 80s comedy that, while not in the top tier of 80s comedies, is still infinitely preferable to what passes for comedy these days. ;):tongue1:

trebor8273 19th August 2016 09:25 PM

Splatter university

Film starts with a mental patient killing and orderly and escaping and then killing a young female teacher at a catholic school, some time later a young woman comes to work at the school and soon notices that people are starting to disappear. Found it slow with a largely unlikable group of characters, so fast forward most of it, the kills are OK and its wasn't hard to figure who the killer was, it did have a slight twist at the end with what you think is the final girl.

Definitely a substandard slasher for me mind the genre seems to have more poor films than good ones. But when they are good Oh boy! 4/10

Well next up pilot for twin peaks

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th August 2016 10:18 PM

Backlash (1956)

The story of one man searching for his estranged father who comes across a woman who might know his whereabouts as she in turn searches for the truth behind her husbands disappearance.

What could have been a quite simple western, twists and turns throughout as director John Sturges throws in almost every classic western idea. From marauding Apache war parties to gun slinging hot shots to Arizona range wars, Backlash pretty much has it all.

Central to the piece is the ever watchable Richard Widmark. An actor who seemingly alternated between tales of the wild west and Noir style crime films, all of which are worth seeking out for Widmark's talents alone. Here his co-star is the lovely Donna Reed, a woman with her own agenda every bit wild as the west itself.

Although Backlash isn't a top drawer western adventure, it's still effortlessly entertaining and well worth seeking out.

Susan Foreman 20th August 2016 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 502085)
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

At time of writing, there are only 126 days until Christmas!