Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 24th August 2011 10:40 AM

Run
Bitch
Run!

Well
thats
how
its
shown.
sour
dour
old school (and i mean it unkindly)
bleak
great musical numbers
terrible dialogue
film of the year.

one of these statements is a lie.
but considering ive just seen a "strangest film youve seen" thread containing
Peeping Tom
The Church
aaaaand
The Thin Red Line
my heads a little numb.

enterthehero 24th August 2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 176366)
Devil's playground was a genuine surprise.

DTV with danny dyer, only reason I watched it I found it in a charity shop for 2quid a week after release.

Turns out it was bloody good!

Oh and for the record, I do think danny dyer has done some good films, but lets be honest here, he's done some dreadful ones as well!

I like danny dyer I think he a decent actor, he can only play one character tho lol.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.705740,-0.327942

zombifud 24th August 2011 02:05 PM

Had a small Dead marathon

Night, Dawn, Day, and watching Land of the Dead now.

PaulD 24th August 2011 03:23 PM

The last few days I've watched:

Them - decent French horror. Little in the way of plot but short enough to get away with it, concentrating on tension and scares instead. Home invasion stuff always really creeps me out and this was no exception.

Rec and Rec 2. Seen them before back-to-back at the cinema but after picking up the sequel on BD for a fiver last week I really felt like watching them again. Still fantastic.

Super - funny, shocking and very off-the-wall at times. Kick Ass comparisons are inevitable but lazy - while Kick Ass starts off gritty and grounded and gets progressively more cartoony as it goes on Super maintains the street-level grittiness all the way through. Pretty nasty at times but really well done. Neat Lloyd Kauffman cameo too.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - surprisingly enjoyable. Hard a hard time trying to figure out how it fitted into the original series (I mistakenly thought it was a prequel to the original rather than a semi-remake of Conquest...) and some of the more overt references to the original were a bit jarring (especially *that* line) but it was a really well made film which was incredibly touching at times. Andy Serkis was brilliant as Caesar and just through the body language and expressions he felt like a real character and even though at times some shots flowed like video games cut scenes the cgi was really impressive. It was odd in that nothing happened in it you couldn't have predicted buy it was still a really enjoyable film. Worth watching if a fan of the original series.

zombifud 24th August 2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 176497)
The last few days I've watched:

Them - decent French horror. Little in the way of plot but short enough to get away with it, concentrating on tension and scares instead. Home invasion stuff always really creeps me out and this was no exception.

Rec and Rec 2. Seen them before back-to-back at the cinema but after picking up the sequel on BD for a fiver last week I really felt like watching them again. Still fantastic.

Super - funny, shocking and very off-the-wall at times. Kick Ass comparisons are inevitable but lazy - while Kick Ass starts off gritty and grounded and gets progressively more cartoony as it goes on Super maintains the street-level grittiness all the way through. Pretty nasty at times but really well done. Neat Lloyd Kauffman cameo too.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - surprisingly enjoyable. Hard a hard time trying to figure out how it fitted into the original series (I mistakenly thought it was a prequel to the original rather than a semi-remake of Conquest...) and some of the more overt references to the original were a bit jarring (especially *that* line) but it was a really well made film which was incredibly touching at times. Andy Serkis was brilliant as Caesar and just through the body language and expressions he felt like a real character and even though at times some shots flowed like video games cut scenes the cgi was really impressive. It was odd in that nothing happened in it you couldn't have predicted buy it was still a really enjoyable film. Worth watching if a fan of the original series.

Loved Super, one of my favorites of the year.

Slippery Jack 24th August 2011 04:01 PM

Yeah I hope Super lives up to expectations when it finally arrives off my rental list . . .

James Morton 24th August 2011 04:03 PM

What films have you seen recently?

Switchblade Romance - brilliant horror
AntiChrist - very good
A Serbian Film - very good horror

enterthehero 24th August 2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombifud (Post 176505)
Loved Super, one of my favorites of the year.

Mine to!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.609270,-0.268606

napalm-in-the-morning 24th August 2011 07:05 PM

It's Red Riding Hood tonight on blu. Heard nothing but bad reviews so expecting the very worst! Someone wrote the best thing about it is the picture quality rather than the content. Just realised it's directed by the same director as the dreadful Twilight. Bad omen....

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th August 2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 176513)
Yeah I hope Super lives up to expectations when it finally arrives off my rental list . . .

Lovefilm sent the BD today so I should watch it tomorrow afternoon. I shall report back!