Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Susan Foreman 17th October 2016 08:24 AM

Just watched the original Arrow release of Tinto Brass's 'Cheeky' (pre-white cover, catalogue no: FCD 111)

Blimey! The lead actress is a bit on the unattractive side isn't she! Other than that, there are a lot of Jesus Franco influenced camera zooms into a girls nether regions!

Other than 'Caligula', I don't think I have seen anything by Mr. Brass. Is 'Cheeky' a good representation of his work? (i.e ugly girls, lots of nudity, lesbianism and a lack of real story)

Demoncrat 17th October 2016 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 508558)
Just watched the original Arrow release of Tinto Brass's 'Cheeky' (pre-white cover, catalogue no: FCD 111)

Blimey! The lead actress is a bit on the unattractive side isn't she! Other than that, there are a lot of Jesus Franco influenced camera zooms into a girls nether regions!

Other than 'Caligula', I don't think I have seen anything by Mr. Brass. Is 'Cheeky' a good representation of his work? (i.e ugly girls, lots of nudity, lesbianism and a lack of real story)

Salon Kitty is the only thing of his I've ever seen all the way through, a stately paced piece of work if there ever was. Whilst JF can enduce a trance with his meandering, to my mind TB has no "agenda" other than showing the goods, and is therefore a less interesting director. Any help?? :lol:

MacBlayne 17th October 2016 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 508583)
Salon Kitty is the only thing of his I've ever seen all the way through, a stately paced piece of work if there ever was. Whilst JF can enduce a trance with his meandering, to my mind TB has no "agenda" other than showing the goods, and is therefore a less interesting director. Any help?? :lol:

He is interesting from an academic perspective, as his work typifies the relationship between the director and the voyeur.

However, as for entertainment, he is pretty much useless.

Demoncrat 17th October 2016 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 508584)
He is interesting from an academic perspective, as his work typifies the relationship between the director and the voyeur.

However, as for entertainment, he is pretty much useless.

Indeed, i'll stick with Jesus methinks

Cinematic Shocks 17th October 2016 01:57 PM

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)

***1/2 out of *****

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th October 2016 02:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Haxan (1922)

Benjamin Christensen's brilliant docudrama exploring the role of superstition in medieval minds and the way in which witchcraft was always deemed responsible for anything out of the ordinary especially mental health issues and the age old crime of basically growing old.

The film depicts many satanic and occult activities from the concocting of potions and black magic rituals with the Devil himself to the capture and torture of those suspected of witchcraft.

Way ahead of it's time, even now it's strong stuff in places, especially the graphic descriptions of torture and dramatized look at the satanic rites conducted in the presence of the dark one himself. Several sequences made me feel uneasy and this feeling was more than aided by a terrific atmospheric score from Bronnt Industries Kapital specially created for this release. I did begin with the original Danish premier soundtrack but it was just too jolly for what was taking place on screen.

It was interesting to note how much of this film was referenced in this years The Witch.

Nordicdusk 17th October 2016 05:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Film No.13

Attachment 183646

Big Ronnie and his son Brayden run a walking disco tour around LA. Ronnie and Brayden have a very close relationship they work together and live together with the agreement that Brayden does all the cooking for his father but it's gotta be GREASY. On one of the walking tours Brayden falls for one of the customers Janet which makes his father crazy jealous and so begins a power struggle for Janets affection. Meanwhile a grease covered maniac is stalking the streets at night on a greasy rampage.

WHAT THE HELL DID I WATCH.

This is all that keeps playing through my head while i was watching this. Just like the title of the film the whole thing is greasy as F***. The music is annoying and will play over and over in your head long after the film ends. Big Ronnie spends most of the film naked with a big 15 inch love lenght swinging in the wind. There is a lot of men walking around in underpants and knee high socks it's not an easy watch i must say. Its hard to explain just how weird this film is one example is Braydens best friend oinker who to compliment his velvet underpants and knee high socks he sports a picks nose and oinks like a pig all the time. there is a phone sex scene and its one of the most disturbing things i have ever seen in my life well really every sex scene is disturbing. To sum this film up

WHAT THE F*** !!!!!

Do i recommend this one hell yeah i do its disturbing its strange its annoying it needs to be experienced and above all its GREASY.

Attachment 183647

Make Them Die Slowly 17th October 2016 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 508558)

Try Deadly Sweet. It is an earlier work...and is a pop art, sort of giallo and highly recommended. It is nothing like his later stuff.

Nordicdusk 17th October 2016 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Film No. 14

Attachment 183653

Arletty has not seen her father for many years and her only communication with him is regular letters she has received over the years. Over the past few weeks his letters are getting stranger and stranger until the suddenly stop completely. Overcome with worry for his wellbeing Arletty heads to Point Dune on the Californian Coast where her father lives. When she arrives at his apartment she finds it empty the only trace of her father is a diary in which he tells her to never come looking for him no matter what happens. Arletty heads out into the small town asking about her father but people act very weird towards her with many denying any knowledge of the man at all. On her travels she meets a homeless man who warns her of the blood moon and the dark strangers that came to the town which was never the same again from that day but as if that was not disturbing enough he tells her that her father is actually one of the dark strangers now and she should leave.

Messiah Of Evil is one hell of a creepy film the setting the atmosphere the locals the music everything just comes together and works so damn well. Its hard to put into words the feeling i got from watching sort of felt like a dream and even Arletty narrating over the film makes it even more creepy hearing her losing her mind as you are going along on the journey with her. I just have one question how the hell have i not seen this film before now.

8/10

Nordicdusk 17th October 2016 07:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Film No.15

Attachment 183655

Mr Trelkovsky cannot believe his luck when a apartment in the centre of Paris becomes available to rent even when he learns that the previous tenant attempted suicide by jumping from the window. Trelkovsky feels compelled to go and visit the woman in hospital but when she dies he feels a strange connection to her even after only one meeting. Its not long until Trelkovsky is left feeling isolated and bullied in his apartment.The landlord enforces extremely strict rules upon him about staying out too late or making any sort of noise no matter how slight. Trelkovsky starts to feel like his neighbours are trying to force him to do the same as the previous tenant and his mental state starts to deteriorate at an alarming rate constantly seeing people standing in the bathroom used by all the other tenants in the apartment for hours on end not moving a muscle just staring out the window is this really happening or is this a sign of his mental health.

I feel a strange connection to this film i remember my first apartment it was a beautiful place right in the centre of town but the building had many strange characters in it. I was living on the top floor and for the first few weeks i lived there the lady living underneath me would come to my door almost every night to complain about the noise but each time i would open the door she would say oh it was not you im sorry before i would even say anything or she would even give herself a chance to give me her own complaint. Apartments were getting broken into because the building's front door was broken for a few weeks. Being a young man out on my own for the first time i had that same feeling of isolation and paranoia. The Tenant does a great job of getting into your mind and playing on the fears that everyone has experienced or will experience at some point in their lives. At times some of the scenes are stupid with some really annoying characters especially Trelkovsky friends but there is an uneasy feeling throughout.

7/10

Nordicdusk 17th October 2016 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Film No.16

Attachment 183657

Five of the worst most annoying actors ever go on a girls weekend to the country and everyone starts to die.

DO NOT WATCH this pile of shit. Im in physical pain after watching it the acting is some of the worst i have ever seen no reaction to losing fingers to frostbite one girl literally just pulls her finger off and she has no reaction. Dialogue like are you really going to smoke a cigarette at a time like this and after finding one dead body and one girl is vomiting she says how can you just look at that not not react her reply is " maybe im just numb " In one scene they try to run from a bear which was obviously stock footage from a nature program and the bear was a cub not an adult even the bears roars were dubbed in to make it sound more fearsome

One of the worst films i have ever seen.

0/10

MacBlayne 17th October 2016 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 508641)
Film No.16
DO NOT WATCH this pile of shit.

*Immediately looks up a copy*

Nordicdusk 17th October 2016 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 508647)
*Immediately looks up a copy*

Its not a shit in a good way.

Nordicdusk 17th October 2016 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Film No.17

Attachment 183670

Its Halloween night and a babysitter is taking care of two kids while their parents are on a night out. After the kids have been out trick r treating they empty out all their candy on the floor to sort if out when a VHS tape falls out of the little boys bag. The two kids convince the babysitter to play the tape. The tape contains three stories with one common theme a freaky clown.

Short 1 about witches black mass sacrifice and satan.

Short 2 which was about aliens was not interesting and the alien looked terrible it was just a man in a suit not convincing.

Short 3 was about the clown that connects the three stories chasing a girl.

Out of the three stories the third was my favourite i really liked how it was shot and it was by far the most brutal with some great effects. Overall a fun film and the clown looks awesome and really creepy even better is that he is totally silent even when he laughs there is no sound great ending too.

7/10

Could of got a higher score if the second short was not so weak.

MacBlayne 17th October 2016 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 508648)
Its not a shit in a good way.

Oh, God - you're right. I had a quick look. Badly photographed and poorly edited. And I'm guessing the direction never rose above "Okay, walk here and look surly."

Also, the film's poster is in their room :candle:

Nordicdusk 17th October 2016 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 508662)
Also, the film's poster is in their room :candle:

:lol:

I actually could not believe that.

iank 17th October 2016 09:34 PM

Serendipity. Silly but fun and charming romantic comedy with John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale as a potential new couple who decide to let fate take its course, only to find it has a decidedly strange sense of humour. Always rather liked this one.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th October 2016 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Hound of the Baskervilles (1983)

British production starring Ian Richardson as Sherlock Holmes and Donald Churchill as Dr. Watson. The Hound of the Baskervilles is a story we all know and love or at least should do. As one of the most Gothic horror like Holmes stories it has had various adaptations over the years the best of which is probably Hammer's 1959 version starring Peter Cushing as Holmes.

This version which i've only just found out was made for tv, not that it hinders as the best Holmes adaptations bar none are all television productions, which surprised me as the production values are of very high standard. Boasting a top notch cast including Martin Shaw, Brian Blessed and Denholm Elliott and wonderfully spooky sequences out on the moors at night this adaptation takes all the best parts of the story and embellishes them. It even adds scenes and characters (Blessed's Lyons was never in the book for a start) and brings the death of Stapleton to macabre life which Conan Doyle does not.

It's not perfect though. Martin Shaw has a dubbed American voice which not only sounds wrong as Shaw has a wonderful recognizable tone but is wholly unnecessary, i also wasn't keen on Churchill's Watson who as with Nigel Bruce in the Rathbone films tended to bumble along in dim witted fashion. However any flaws in Watson are more than made up for by Ian Richardson whose portrayal of Holmes with a twinkle of mischief in his eye is excellent and i would have loved to see more of him in the role.

Whilst i suppose a little unremarkable, but that's more to do with the story itself than this actual adaptation (I never like the fact Holmes goes missing from a large chunk) this is a solid production and well worth seeking out for Holmes fans or lovers of the Gothic.

BAKA 17th October 2016 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 508657)

I enjoyed this too, although I tend to be in the minority. I'm looking forward to the spin off with Art the clown, Terrifier. I think there's a sequel too, at least in name. Never got around to picking it up to see how it compares.

Nordicdusk 17th October 2016 09:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 508671)
I enjoyed this too, although I tend to be in the minority. I'm looking forward to the spin off with Art the clown, Terrifier. I think there's a sequel too, at least in name. Never got around to picking it up to see how it compares.

Like i said i thought it was a fun film.

Attachment 183672

Will definitely have to check this out.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th October 2016 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 508674)
Like i said i thought it was a fun film.

Attachment 183672

Will definitely have to check this out.

Is that the same as this?

http://media.store.hmv.com/app_/resp...2057.jpg?w=640

It's out on the 24th if it is.

Nordicdusk 17th October 2016 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 508676)
Is that the same as this?

http://media.store.hmv.com/app_/resp...2057.jpg?w=640

It's out on the 24th if it is.

Must be a third one part 2 is 2015.

platostotal 17th October 2016 10:38 PM

Just a note, I tried earlier to watch Piranha 3D in 3D, God what a mess, no 3D that I could see and the picture quality is much better in the 2D version (IMHO) so sadly no Kelly Brook 3Dness, My Bloody Valentine 3D was much better at 3D (the title sequence is one of the best 3D I can remember) Piranha was converted to 3D after shooting to save money and hassle but they shouldn't have bothered, the 2D version is still a fun remake and the way to go.

Frankie Teardrop 18th October 2016 09:34 AM

SHE KILLED IN ECSTASY – Jess Franco film where Soledad Miranda seduces and murders the tormentors of her dead husband. It has all the hallmarks of early seventies Franco – looks like it was thrown together in about an hour, is full of the locations and interiors he used in lots of other films from the same period, is unspeakably cheap and minimal but somehow has an almost magical atmosphere. It's difficult to pinpoint the reasons why Franco movies evoke those dreamlike vibes, but it's probably something to do with his use of montage, music, light, and visuals like the one where someone gets suffocated by an Op-Art pillow, leaving her screaming face wreathed in snaky black lines. Even more so, that obsessive element is there - we return constantly to the venomous diatribe, disembodied and echoey, delivered by the scientists who rejected Miranda's hubby and precipitated his suicide, and it feels really personal somehow. 'She Killed In Ecstasy' has a casual, almost throwaway feel about it, but it's one of Franco's better films and definitely a recommend to anyone who hasn't checked it out.

Dave Boy 18th October 2016 10:17 AM

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/32...0031b9a4be.jpg
IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE 3D (1953)

A big shout out about this new release blu ray.
First time watching this in 3D. Now this, like Creature From The Black Lagoon is what 3D is all about. Objects actually coming out of the screen in to the room.
The audio is the 3.0 mix heard theatrically in 1953.

Excellent movie and 3D at it's best.

Demoncrat 18th October 2016 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 508688)
SHE KILLED IN ECSTASY – Jess Franco film where Soledad Miranda seduces and murders the tormentors of her dead husband. It has all the hallmarks of early seventies Franco – looks like it was thrown together in about an hour, is full of the locations and interiors he used in lots of other films from the same period, is unspeakably cheap and minimal but somehow has an almost magical atmosphere. It's difficult to pinpoint the reasons why Franco movies evoke those dreamlike vibes, but it's probably something to do with his use of montage, music, light, and visuals like the one where someone gets suffocated by an Op-Art pillow, leaving her screaming face wreathed in snaky black lines. Even more so, that obsessive element is there - we return constantly to the venomous diatribe, disembodied and echoey, delivered by the scientists who rejected Miranda's hubby and precipitated his suicide, and it feels really personal somehow. 'She Killed In Ecstasy' has a casual, almost throwaway feel about it, but it's one of Franco's better films and definitely a recommend to anyone who hasn't checked it out.

I second this emotion

trebor8273 18th October 2016 07:02 PM

Horror of Dracula. 9/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTbY0BgIRMk

Curse of Frankenstein. 9/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxNVNGydx5U

The Incredible Hulk. 7.7/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pog1CbcVBJk

Nordicdusk 18th October 2016 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Film No.18

Attachment 183689

A young Australian woman working as a nanny in Amsterdam is forced to go n the run when the family she is working for discovers she has lied about her identity and ring the cops. Jennifer jumps on a tourist bus with a small group of tourists to get out of Amsterdam unnoticed. A few miles out into the country on their windmill tour the bus breaks down and they are forced to take refuge in an abandoned windmill. Inside they find documents about a legend of the windmill where the miller that lived there was a devil worshipper who instead of grain his used human bones in the mill. It soon emerges that maybe these people didn't end up in the mill by accident they all have a dark secret from their past.

Quite an interesting and enjoyable supernatural slasher and the setting was something a little different. The acting is passable a few characters were better than others. The kills were entertaining and the gore effects were very well done. The killer reminded me a lot of the killer from Jeepers Creepers before his transformation but that does not take anything away from him he still looks pretty cool.

6/10

Cinematic Shocks 18th October 2016 08:58 PM

K-Shop (2016)

A new under the radar little gem.

***1/2 out of *****

Susan Foreman 19th October 2016 07:29 AM

'Reform School Girls':

'Scum' as if it had been directed by John Waters!

MacBlayne 19th October 2016 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 508762)
'Reform School Girls':

'Scum' as if it had been directed by John Waters!

Hmm... *strokes chin*

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th October 2016 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Trick or Treat (1986)

A film i think i reviewed last year on this thread. Although it's a bit of a rip off of Phantom of the Paradise (1974), De Palma didn't have Ozzy Osbourne as an evangelical preacher or Gene Simmons, excellent here as a local radio DJ.

OTT in all the right places, Trick or Treat is a blast from start to finish as a young fan (Marc Price) brings recently deceased rock god Sammi Curr (a malevolent Tony Field) back to life at the high school Halloween dance with catastrophic results.

Wildly entertaining, this high school horror film featuring an killer soundtrack from 80's metal band Fastway should be near the top of any rock n' rollers Halloween viewing.

Nordicdusk 19th October 2016 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Film No.19

Attachment 183707

Evan is an awkward bumbling idiot and a bit of a joke around the office. Convinced he will get promoted to sales manager when the boss calls everyone in for a big announcement his soul is crushed when its given to Max an old collage rival who stole his girlfriend and punched him out. Max is not the only change around the office when the staff start to go through some physical changes and its up to Evan to to save his co workers even if they are a bunch of self centered assholes.

A different sort of vampire film with some hit and miss comedy nothing special but it was a not a pain to watch not one i would watch again still a decent effort but there are better horror comedies out there not that i am a massive fan of the horror comedy trend. There are tons of blood but very little gore with not many actual kills on screen just the blood splashed and sprays all over the place. What actual on screen kills we see are done really well but it would of help to have seen more a lot more. I like the Tim character he had an awesome mustache

Baaaam Snap

5/10

keirarts 19th October 2016 11:06 PM

phantasm ravager

Going to be brief and spoiler free for all the folk yet to see it but the fith Phantasm contines the fourths deeper delvings into parralell dimensions, altenate universes, quantum mechanics and the nature of reality and identity - - (no seriously). Marred somewhat by some truly dreadful CGI that feels like it belongs in a psone game. Worth a look.

iank 20th October 2016 08:17 AM

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back. Jack Reacher emerges to give his own particular brand of assistance to a female Major framed for espionage and treason in this passably entertaining if unremarkable sequel to the passably entertaining if unremarkable original.
:candle:

trebor8273 20th October 2016 10:53 AM

trick or treat. 7.7/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VlkMrt78rU

Halloween 3 Season of the Witch. 6.9/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKNIqG9J2KU

Iron Man 2. 7.5/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKtcmiifycU

Cinematic Shocks 20th October 2016 12:41 PM

The Funhouse (1981)

***1/2 out of *****

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th October 2016 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Old Dark House (1932)

Following Frankenstein (1931) director James Whale turned to JB Priestley's novel Benighted for this er' old dark house terror satire which is as much a comedy of manners as it is horror film.

The plot is slight. During an atrocious storm a three people are forced to call at an old Welsh mansion inhabited by stranger than strange butler Boris Karloff, an 102 year old lunatic, a fire loving brother and a God-fearing sister who all suffer from at least one type of ...chosis and neurosis. Then when things can't get any odder Charles Laughton turns up with his hooker mistress.

The whole thing is bathed in an atmosphere of musky decay and somehow the less than pristine picture quality seems to add to the general all round weirdness of The Old Dark House.

trebor8273 20th October 2016 10:23 PM

Candyman. 9/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnzzBssg3ac

Nightbreed directors cut 8.4/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-EYyYEu0LY

Thor. 8.4/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOddp-nlNvQ

Cinematic Shocks 21st October 2016 02:02 PM

Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)

**1/2 out of *****