Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Matt 9th February 2009 02:21 PM

Saw Uwe Boll's 'Seed' yesterday. It was, thankfully, a rental rather than a purchase.

I'm not someone who would bash Uwe Boll for the sake of it. I haven't seen many of his films before (House of the Dead) and so went into this without prejudice.

Seed is terrible. Almost everything about the film is shockingly poor. It's poorly written, poorly directed, looks cheap (despite an apparent $10m budget!) and, even at 85 minutes, is far too long. Every scene is just much longer than it could possibly be whilst being even remotely interesting.

Much was made of the animal cruelty footage included at the beginning. The idea was apparentlyto illustrate the cruelty of man. In fact, this observation, that people can be cruel, is all the film has. No comment, no exploration, nothing. Just an illustration of cruelty. Done badly. For an hour and a half.

If anyone is curious about the 'hammer scene' that much has been made of, it's dreadful. The CG is beyond poor and the sound design is so bad that I actually thought I was playing a game. I'd hit the reset button on my Playstation six times before I remembered that I was watching a film. I still kept pressing it, just in case, but it didn't work.

This really is the worst horror film I've seen in quite some time. Wish I'd rented Road Kill 2 instead.

Also had my F13 3-D DVD arrive but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Looking forward to it.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th February 2009 06:07 PM

Rocknrolla-don't waste 100 minutes of your life on this,a better and more brutal film is THE CREW....;)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 9th February 2009 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 21646)
Rocknrolla-don't waste 100 minutes of your life on this,a better and more brutal film is THE CREW....;)

:ack: I hate that film too Reaps. Cant believe I saw that in the bloody cinema either!!! Grr! Just ordered Chopper Chicks In Zombie Town for £1.99! (not including P & P :( ) WAHOO!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th February 2009 06:12 PM

Ritchie's dropped the ball mate.I doubt if he'll ever reach the same entertainment levels that Lock Stock and Snatch provided...:(

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th February 2009 11:20 PM

Just been watching the first 20 minutes of PIECES on the Grindhouse SE.Fantastic pic quality,with the added bonus of watching the soundtrack recorded with a live cinema audience!:cool: The definitive release!Although it would look good in a yellow box Almar.....;)

Pete 10th February 2009 11:35 AM

I just watched the BU dvd of Polsellis Delirium, one of the strangest giallos i've seen.

cloud 10th February 2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 21682)
I just watched the BU dvd of Polsellis Delirium, one of the strangest giallos i've seen.

Have you never seen the likes of Giallo a Venezia, Play Motel, Girl In Room 2A, Fatal Frames, Autopsy, Photo Of Gioia, French Sex Murders, Five Dolls For An August Moon, The Gore Gore Girls, The Night Evelyn Came Out Of The Grave and Eyeball etc? They're way more 'out there' than Delirium in my opinion.

Pete 10th February 2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud (Post 21686)
Have you never seen the likes of Giallo a Venezia, Play Motel, Girl In Room 2A, Fatal Frames, Autopsy, Photo Of Gioia, French Sex Murders, Five Dolls For An August Moon, The Gore Gore Girls, The Night Evelyn Came Out Of The Grave and Eyeball etc? They're way more 'out there' than Delirium in my opinion.

I have seen Five Dolls ( good ) and Photos of Gioa ( a load of shit ) and i my opinion Delirium is more 'out there' than those two . I have two dvd editions of the Gore Gore Girls and i really cant be arsed watching it.

cloud 10th February 2009 12:14 PM

I definitely disagree with you there, absolutely no way is it more bizarre than Five Dolls, I think Bava nailed it with that film, especially the freezer sequences. And enough of that, Photo Of Gioia is great fun though funnily enough you're not the first person I've seen who dislikes it. '80s Giallos take a lot of unfair criticism in my opinion. Last time I checked though, Mickey Hargitay didn't see his victims as bugs before killing them in Delirium ;).

The Gore Gore Girls is a brilliant film and in my opinion is the best thing Herschell Gordon Lewis has ever filmed. Methinks you need to put it a bit closer to the top of the pile. The gore sequences in there are some of his best work, just don't drink milk whilst watching it... you'll understand when you see it ;).

You really need to check out some of those films I listed, though some such as Girl In Room 2A and Play Motel are quite rare, so happy hunting!

Pete 10th February 2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud (Post 21690)
I definitely disagree with you there, absolutely no way is it more bizarre than Five Dolls, I think Bava nailed it with that film, especially the freezer sequences. And enough of that, Photo Of Gioia is great fun though funnily enough you're not the first person I've seen who dislikes it. '80s Giallos take a lot of unfair criticism in my opinion. Last time I checked though, Mickey Hargitay didn't see his victims as bugs before killing them in Delirium ;).

The Gore Gore Girls is a brilliant film and in my opinion is the best thing Herschell Gordon Lewis has ever filmed. Methinks you need to put it a bit closer to the top of the pile. The gore sequences in there are some of his best work, just don't drink milk whilst watching it... you'll understand when you see it ;).

You really need to check out some of those films I listed, though some such as Girl In Room 2A and Play Motel are quite rare, so happy hunting!

Autopsy, Giallo a Venzia and Night Evelyn Came out the grave have been on my wish list for a while, i just never got round to buying them. As for the Gore Gore Girls, its at the bottom of a plie of almost 100 films i havent watched yet so chances of me watching it are slim.