Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Susan Foreman 12th January 2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 516608)
I mean, the son is hugely overweight, one girl, who is fit as a fiddle, decides the best thing to do would be hide in some farm equipment rather than just run away given she has a head start and he's about 25 stone

Oi, you skinny git!

I'm a fat bitch *cough*, and I can move quite fast when the need arises

**Note to self - stop eating and drinking!

keirarts 12th January 2017 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 516726)
Amsterdamned. A scuba diving serial killer is stalking Amsterdamn, using the city's innumerable canals as a hunting ground from which to stalk his victims. This late 80s Dutch thriller starts off really well and is very entertaining for the first hour or so, but goes on well past its welcome and also gets sillier and sillier as it goes on. Average.

Nicks it's main idea from an older Italian film called the monster of venice

Dave Boy 12th January 2017 03:16 PM

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/c2...377ce20230.jpg
PHARAOHS CURSE (1957)

A small group of British soldiers are sent to stop an unauthorised dig in Egypt.
The archaeologists have found a mummy of a priest and when they attempt to cut the wrappings away the spirit of the priest enters the body of one of the team members turning him into a living mummy...

Oh so slow moving film. The mummy looks quite good, not your usual bandaged monster this time but just a man who's skin and features look like parchment. The movie does not really pick up until the last reel but it's an okay way to pass an hour with tunnels and tombs and has nice little score by Les Baxter.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th January 2017 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 516769)
http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/c2...377ce20230.jpg
PHARAOHS CURSE (1957)

A small group of British soldiers are sent to stop an unauthorised dig in Egypt.
The archaeologists have found a mummy of a priest and when they attempt to cut the wrappings away the spirit of the priest enters the body of one of the team members turning him into a living mummy...

Oh so slow moving film. The mummy looks quite good, not your usual bandaged monster this time but just a man who's skin and features look like parchment. The movie does not really pick up until the last reel but it's an okay way to pass an hour with tunnels and tombs and has nice little score by Les Baxter.

Is this available on disc, DB?

Dave Boy 12th January 2017 03:30 PM

Yes Dem. There is a region 1 DVD available.
If you are interested you may first want to check the film out on youtube first before you import. Some people find the film a good cure for insomnia !

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/96...e4174dc6b7.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th January 2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 516776)
Yes Dem. There is a region 1 DVD available.
If you are interested you may first want to check the film out on youtube first before you import. Some people find the film a good cure for insomnia !

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/96...e4174dc6b7.jpg

Ah right, thank you.

Make Them Die Slowly 12th January 2017 08:49 PM

Rob Zombie...get a hair cut and grow up!

keirarts 13th January 2017 07:15 AM

Private vices, public virtues

Apparently based on a real incident the film is set in a central European country where the son of the Emperor has set aside his wife and taken to a life of wild debauchery in order to scandalise the country. Things come to a head after he invites the children of various heads of state to his country mansion and drugs their champagne kicking off an orgy.
Its all fairly outrageous stuff with gay sex, straight sex, incest, hermaphroditic buggery and Turkey abuse amongst its many perversion on display. The film actually has a point, its about using sex as a form of protest against tyranny however if you just want to watch it with some kleenex then that's ok too.

Suddenly in the dark

A wife in her 30's becomes concerned when her husband brings home a strange young woman as a housekeeper. Things turn sour when the young girls only possession, a strange doll appears to trigger strange visions in the woman slowly driving her mad.
While the film can look a little cheap and cheerful in places, the films overall is actually quite stylish. The film handles its plot well, strongly hinting that the problems are all due to the wife's Lesbian attraction to the young woman and her paranoia over ageing and her husband finding a younger wife.

Cohen & Tate

A young boy who has witnessed a mob hit is taken from protective custody by two hit-men, Cohen & Tate, after the pair kill the child's parents. As they drive the boy back to Dallas the boy begins looking for opportunities to escape.
Eric reds 80's noir is a terrific example of great screenwriting and direction. Night time Texas is beautifully shot with an eerie neon glow. Large portions of the film are set in the car with great writing and performances from the boy and Roy Scheider as Cohen and Adam Baldwin as Tate. As things gradually go wrong the dialogue between the two is excellent. The plotting and pace are all well executed as well. Fantastic film overall.

Dave Boy 13th January 2017 01:20 PM

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/6c...98670093ba.jpg
THE UNDEAD (1957)

A young woman agrees to an experiment in regression hypnosis. Under the hypnosis she is taken back to a life in medieval times where she is chained in a dungeon about to be killed for being a witch. Innocent of the crimes, she manages to escape but is being watched by Livia the witch and her imp...

Excellent low budget movie from Roger Corman. All the supernatural ingredients are here and give a great atmosphere. Graveyards, fog, witches, eerie soundtrack and even the Devil himself against a medieval background. Unfortunately the film found it's way into MST3K but does not deserve to be there.
Recommended. :yo:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 13th January 2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 516963)

I rather like this one too. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th January 2017 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 516963)
THE UNDEAD (1957)

A young woman agrees to an experiment in regression hypnosis. Under the hypnosis she is taken back to a life in medieval times where she is chained in a dungeon about to be killed for being a witch. Innocent of the crimes, she manages to escape but is being watched by Livia the witch and her imp...

Excellent low budget movie from Roger Corman. All the supernatural ingredients are here and give a great atmosphere. Graveyards, fog, witches, eerie soundtrack and even the Devil himself against a medieval background. Unfortunately the film found it's way into MST3K but does not deserve to be there.

The UK dvd is quite impressive. It's part of the Arkoff collection. I presume that's the version you have.

Dave Boy 13th January 2017 04:07 PM

That's the one Dem. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th January 2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 517046)
That's the one Dem. :nod:

All those releases come with the art cards which is quite nice.

Have you got The She Beast, DB?

I keep meaning to pick that up.

Dave Boy 13th January 2017 06:03 PM

It's THE SHE CREATURE you are thinking of Dem.
I have not got that one either yet.

The first Arkoff title I picked up was VIKING WOMEN AND THE SEA SERPENT.
One of my guilty pleasures. :cool:

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th January 2017 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 517088)
It's THE SHE CREATURE you are thinking of Dem.
I have not got that one either yet.

The first Arkoff title I picked up was VIKING WOMEN AND THE SEA SERPENT.
One of my guilty pleasures. :cool:

Damn! The She Beast is Barbara Steele isn't it. I have that one. :lol:

Deadite 13th January 2017 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517099)
Damn! The She Beast is Barbara Steele isn't it. I have that one. :lol:

It's pretty awful despite having Barbara Steele in it too.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th January 2017 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 517102)
It's pretty awful despite having Barbara Steele in it too.

I don't mind it to be honest. The US release from Dark Sky is a decent package.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th January 2017 07:06 PM

I've the Raro Blu Ray on the way.:nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th January 2017 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 517109)
I've the Raro Blu Ray on the way.:nod:

Of what?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 13th January 2017 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517112)
Of what?

I assume he means She Beast

http://dv1.us/p1/918/254918-d1.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th January 2017 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 517113)
I assume he means She Beast

http://dv1.us/p1/918/254918-d1.jpg

I had a look on their web site prior to asking which film Reaper meant and it's not listed. Or at least i couldn't see it.

Raro

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 13th January 2017 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517116)
I had a look on their web site prior to asking which film Reaper meant and it's not listed. Or at least i couldn't see it.

Raro

They need to update their site then!

Deadite 13th January 2017 10:15 PM

Perhaps my favourite superhero movie, Mystery Men is a perennial watch. Full of great lines and some over-the-top performances, in some ways, it's already dated as the pace is fairly leisurely compared to more recent fare, but i don't hold that against it.

I almost know it too well, but every scene has its stand-out moments and the sometimes improvised script is a cracker. "Just flip the toggle!!!"

"Why am i balancing a tack hammer on my head?"

"So you may head off your opponents with a balanced attack!"

Inspired.

trebor8273 14th January 2017 02:46 PM

Off out to see lalal land which was going to be Tuesday but is now today so just have to decide which of these to see on Tuesday

Assassin's creed

Underworld

Live by night

Justin101 14th January 2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 517214)
Off out to see lalal land which was going to be Tuesday but is now today so just have to decide which of these to see on Tuesday

Assassin's creed

Underworld

Live by night

Neither of those 3, go and see Manchester by the Sea

trebor8273 14th January 2017 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 517215)
Neither of those 3, go and see Manchester by the Sea

Think I might as none of those are getting good reviews, and underworld and assassin's creed are supposed to be awful.

Edit

Scrap that its not showing at my local.

Justin101 14th January 2017 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 517216)
Think I might as none of those are getting good reviews, and underworld and assassin's creed are supposed to be awful.

Edit

Scrap that its not showing at my local.

That's a shame! It's on here in Liverpool, going to see it tomorrow then La La Land on Monday probably.

trebor8273 14th January 2017 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 517218)
That's a shame! It's on here in Liverpool, going to see it tomorrow then La La Land on Monday probably.

Think I'll just see live by night flyer n Tuesday then.

Boo Radley 14th January 2017 03:16 PM

I was looking for a trailer for Sonny Chiba's Wolf Guy coming out from Arrow soon and came upon the whole film and just spent the last 86 minutes watching it. It's typical 1975 chop socky entertainment, if you are into that sort of thing. Chiba witnesses a man get ripped apart by an unseen force that then projects a tigers image and so sends him on a quest to get the bad guys controlling this invisible entity.

Chiba get to sow his oats a couple of times on the way with plenty boobs abounding but no bush, this is Japanese, after all, and beats up the bad guys a couple of times in that lets all wait our turn to be hit style that pervades all martial arts films. If you think from the title that he turns into a werewolf you'll be waiting for the sequel as there are no transformations here.

The first hour drags along only just keeping your interest with the occasional tedious fight or nipple close up to drag you into the last 25 minutes where after dubious surgery our hero now can absorb bullet hits and possesses phenomenal strength, including a coat that has bullet holes and blood in one scene and none in the next, only to have nice clean bullet holes a minute later, then back to bloody ones again. The coat was more interesting than the film.

The bad guys turn up with their spirit tiger, spirit gets shot, Chiba kills bad boss guy. The End. I think I made it sound so much better than it actually is....:lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th January 2017 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boo Radley (Post 517220)
I was looking for a trailer for Sonny Chiba's Wolf Guy coming out from Arrow soon and came upon the whole film and just spent the last 86 minutes watching it. It's typical 1975 chop socky entertainment, if you are into that sort of thing. Chiba witnesses a man get ripped apart by an unseen force that then projects a tigers image and so sends him on a quest to get the bad guys controlling this invisible entity.

Chiba get to sow his oats a couple of times on the way with plenty boobs abounding but no bush, this is Japanese, after all, and beats up the bad guys a couple of times in that lets all wait our turn to be hit style that pervades all martial arts films. If you think from the title that he turns into a werewolf you'll be waiting for the sequel as there are no transformations here.

The first hour drags along only just keeping your interest with the occasional tedious fight or nipple close up to drag you into the last 25 minutes where after dubious surgery our hero now can absorb bullet hits and possesses phenomenal strength, including a coat that has bullet holes and blood in one scene and none in the next, only to have nice clean bullet holes a minute later, then back to bloody ones again. The coat was more interesting than the film.

The bad guys turn up with their spirit tiger, spirit gets shot, Chiba kills bad boss guy. The End. I think I made it sound so much better than it actually is....:lol:

Sounds brilliant. :sleep:

Cinematic Shocks 14th January 2017 05:42 PM

Friday the 13th (1980)

*** out of *****

Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

***1/2 out of *****

Friday the 13th Part III (1982)

*** out of *****

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

***1/2 out of *****

Nordicdusk 14th January 2017 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 185765

El Topo starts with a mysterious gunslinger and his son discovering a massacre at a small village after which he seeks revenge what all the horror he has seen. Once his mission of revenge is complete he sets out of a new quest to kill four masters spread throughout the desert each more bizarre than the last but once his mission is complete he feels conflicted and he sets out and a new path of personal redemption and a life of peace but in this bizarre place death stalks everyone.

So hard to review this one its a film you cant explain you just need to experience it because it's not just a film its a journey of the mind. There is so much imagery and symbolism in every single frame of this film maybe my brain is not educated enough to make sense of it all in one viewing but all day the film has stuck in my head and i think it may be the case for sometime to come maybe its confusion or maybe its how powerful some of the imagery was :lol:

Its hard to recommend El Topo i have said this about films in the past but this is genuinely not for everyone should everyone experience it ? Thats an easy YES. Will everyone enjoy it ? Again an easy answer NO. I would encourage everyone to seek it out and experience it at least once and yes there is that word experience again but like i said its exactly that and one well worth having.

8/10 for sheer impact on a simple mind that does not understand art or the avant garde as i have seen this film described as but if i can get something powerful out of it maybe you will too. I will revisit this one soon because i'm sure i have missed so much.

Just know that El Topo is nowhere near as confusing as this review :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th January 2017 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 517257)

El Topo starts with a mysterious gunslinger and his son discovering a massacre at a small village after which he seeks revenge what all the horror he has seen. Once his mission of revenge is complete he sets out of a new quest to kill four masters spread throughout the desert each more bizarre than the last but once his mission is complete he feels conflicted and he sets out and a new path of personal redemption and a life of peace but in this bizarre place death stalks everyone.

So hard to review this one its a film you cant explain you just need to experience it because it's not just a film its a journey of the mind. There is so much imagery and symbolism in every single frame of this film maybe my brain is not educated enough to make sense of it all in one viewing but all day the film has stuck in my head and i think it may be the case for sometime to come maybe its confusion or maybe its how powerful some of the imagery was :lol:

Its hard to recommend El Topo i have said this about films in the past but this is genuinely not for everyone should everyone experience it ? Thats an easy YES. Will everyone enjoy it ? Again an easy answer NO. I would encourage everyone to seek it out and experience it at least once and yes there is that word experience again but like i said its exactly that and one well worth having.

8/10 for sheer impact on a simple mind that does not understand art or the avant garde as i have seen this film described as but if i can get something powerful out of it maybe you will too. I will revisit this one soon because i'm sure i have missed so much.

Just know that El Topo is nowhere near as confusing as this review :lol:

Thanks for the review, Nordy.

It doesn't sound like it's up my street. You don't sound like you 'got it' and i doubt i will either.

Nordicdusk 14th January 2017 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517259)
Thanks for the review, Nordy.

It doesn't sound like it's up my street. You don't sound like you 'got it' and i doubt i will either.

I didnt fully understand it or maybe i did im not sure :lol:

Inspector Abberline 14th January 2017 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 517263)
I didnt fully understand it or maybe i did im not sure :lol:

But there is tits,(not to be shallow or anything,its a plus point).

Attachment 185767

Nordicdusk 14th January 2017 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 517264)
But there is tits,(not to be shallow or anything,its a plus point).

Attachment 185767

The prickly pear scene was very pleasing on the eye.

iank 14th January 2017 07:58 PM

Rabid. Revolutionary skin grafts used on a motorcycle accident victim take on a life of their own and become blood-hungry little suckers, resulting in a wave of rabies-like vampirism storming through Montreal in this late 70s Canadian horror flick. Some effective and scary scenes from director David Cronenberg, but I didn't think it gelled together as well as Shivers (let alone his masterpiece, The Brood).

trebor8273 14th January 2017 09:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pdqf4P9MB8

Sebastian (Ryan Gosling) a jazz musician and Mia (Emma Stone) an aspiring actress fall in love while seeking to fulfill there dreams. A love letter to the musical of the 40s and 50s, but don't expect a typical happy Hollywood ending, you will still feel uplifted and have a song in your heart, but it will also bring a tear to your eye. Some great set pieces and musical numbers that remind you of those great musical's. 9.2/10

Next up dead Mary.

Make Them Die Slowly 14th January 2017 09:40 PM

IT FOLLOWS

Not dissimilar to the fallout from mine and Nordy's one and only sexual encounter but with younger and better looking people. Recommended

Inspector Abberline 14th January 2017 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 517276)
IT FOLLOWS

better looking people. Recommended

surely not,Is that possible??