Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Phurious 16th September 2011 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 181316)
Fair enough! I can't remember any other major scares though. Did like the creepy figure in the headlights though - those half-glimpsed figures at the back of the shot always creep me out :eek:

Regarding the one-take thing, I thought it was obvious at several points where the in-built edits were concealed. I think some sequences would've benifited from traditional editing. Some scenes were hampered slightly by odd movements to make way for the carefully hidden crew . . .

I saw it at the Frightfest Halloween semi-debacle last year and quite enjoyed it. I think that the critic Nigel Floyd found out that the camera used couldn't shoot for the length of the film so, there's definitely an edit in there somewhere.
Unlike Russian Ark, another one take film, I did find that the camerawork wasn't that impressive and you quickly forgot about the gimmick, which seems a good and bad thing.

I do agree that the ending was pretty good though, certainly very sinister.

gag 16th September 2011 08:23 AM

Watched replacement killers what can i say same old same old type of action film with chow yun fat type that in a sense never tire"s of watching these type because he such a great actor...

Im half way through watcing Dust devil so far im not that impressed ...

Demoncrat 16th September 2011 11:01 AM

well il be watching Planet of the Vampires and Black Sabbath if not tonight, certainly over weekend.

Slippery Jack 16th September 2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 181546)
Unlike Russian Ark.

Did you like that one? I remember trying to sit through it back when I was at Uni - think I managed half an hour before giving up :rolleyes: . . .

James Morton 16th September 2011 11:41 AM

What films have you seen recently?

saw MISSISSIPPI BURNING on tv last night - a briliant but disturbing portrayal of so called democratic America based on true events
got the dvd already and imo its Alan Parker's best film along with ANGEL HEART

antmumford 16th September 2011 12:35 PM

Last night I watched:

Tideland - Another crazy yet brilliant film from Terry Gilliam, it had all his signature awkward camera shots, weird OTT Characters and dark subject matter. There were a few uncomfortable moments (if you've seen it you'll know what I mean when I say 'the kisses') that I was a bit miffed as to how Terry was allowed to put them on camera, I guess it was due to the "mental age" of the character, I don't know, oh well. Still enjoyed it

Q-The Winged Serpent - Ah this was great, so much fun. It was like an homage to both the old stop motion classics from the 50's and 70s/80s exploitation. The acting was top notch by Michael Moriarty, he was such a great character and I enjoyed every minute of his screen time. Perfect cheesey 80's fun and would recommend to all (even though you're all bound to have seen it already anyway, I'm a latecomer to these 'classics')

platostotal 16th September 2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 181592)
well il be watching Planet of the Vampires and Black Sabbath if not tonight, certainly over weekend.

They both will make you like Bava even more, top stuff.

Cap. Vic RobotPants M.D. 16th September 2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 181592)

Among inspiring countless films, I can't help but think that the people that designed the uniforms for the X-Men films loved Planet of the Vampires. I would love a Blu of this film.

Been watching the first three Friday the 13th films on Blu these past few nights. I just bought Dead Island for the XBox though so I might not watch as many films as usual.

James Morton 16th September 2011 07:29 PM

What films have you seen recently?

IL TRAM - Argento's episode of DOOR INTO DARKNESS
it was good despite its 70's tv origins

bdc 16th September 2011 07:55 PM

Just watched The Killer Likes Candy (1968).
Kerwin Matthews is a US top agent (nick-named Angel Face!) who must stop assassination attempts on a foreign king by a hired killer.
This one's a lot of fun if you like the genre,as we get some really nice locations (for instance Bomarzo - The park of Monsters),professional camera work (which must have looked stunning in it's original scope format),a great soundtrack (Gianni Marchetti),some nice action but also some funny bits AND Gordon Mitchell as one of the baddies! :)
I've searched the net but this doesn't seem to have been released in a widescreen version on dvd (or vhs?) anywhere so Code Red's "slightly-less-fantastic-but-equally-welcomed fullscreen version" (Double O Section) will have to do for now.
Seems the licensor only could supply a tape master.