Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

trebor8273 31st January 2017 08:09 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWjjOOYxhI

Dull and boring, with dull and uninteresting characters and a uninspiring story which was painfully unfunny. Not surprised people walked out. 5/10

Was going to watch reanimator as an antidote to it but couldn't decide between the 2 versions so went for burial ground instead.

keirarts 1st February 2017 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 519533)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWjjOOYxhI

Dull and boring, with dull and uninteresting characters and a uninspiring story which was painfully unfunny. Not surprised people walk out. 5/10

Was going to watch reanimator as an antidote to it but couldn't decide between the 2 versions so went for burial ground instead.

Re-animator is an easy one. Don't watch the integral cut. Its shit. It totally ruins the pace. It feels like some joker used an editing suite on their laptop to put all the deleted scenes back in not considering there was a very good reason it was removed in first place.

Rik 1st February 2017 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 513396)
We Are Still Here (2015)

A couple, grieving the loss of their teenage son move to a new home in rural New England in an attempt to start a fresh. However the house is notorious in the area for being haunted and is seen by the towns folk as being a house that demands sacrifices every 30 years.

We Are Still Here is a slow burn horror film. The first half mainly consists of atmosphere and background building whilst being impeccably acted by Barbara Crampton and Andrew Sensenig as the new arrivals and Larry Fessenden and Lisa Marie as their spiritual friends who they hope can contact whatever spirits reside in or indeed beneath the house. In some respects this first half is actually quite dull (in comparison with what is to come) if occasionally eerie but succeeds in building a believable back story and characters in order for the second half to come to fruition as a worthy pay off.

If the first half burns slowly then the second half is ablaze. The mystery and truth is uncovered and a gory almost Fulci-esq bloodbath kicks into gear.

If anything We Are Still Here could have been an early 70's Italian horror production. It's set in the late 70's and has references throughout to Italian genre cinema especially Lucio Fulci's The House by The Cemetery (The lead spirit is named Lassander Dagmar after that films actress Dagmar Lassander and the electrician that discovers something is wrong is called Joe as he is in House among others) we've also got the bouncing ball on the stairs from Bava's Kill Baby Kill (1966) and not The Changeling as some ill educated oaf suggests on IMDB as it's reference point (Do these people not know we use the first used example and not one that borrowed it later on) The film has a high Lovecraftian atmosphere and utilizes it's ideas far better than the many crash, bang, wallop jump scare horrors doing the multiplex rounds.

Recommended.

We watched this last night and apart from the obvious nods to other films like House By the Cemetery, I didn't think much of it tbh, I was pretty bored towards the end and found myself checking to see how long was left before I could go for a cig :lol:

Deadite 1st February 2017 09:12 AM

Yeah, saw it on horror channel last week. Didn't rate it much.

Cinematic Shocks 1st February 2017 09:35 AM

Year of the Dragon (1985)

***1/2 out of *****

Frankie Teardrop 1st February 2017 10:22 AM

BLAIR WITCH – This is a competent remake of the original that adds a lot more jump scares and screaming, but perhaps not much else besides. 'The Blair Witch Project' is by now thought of as a 'classic' by regular viewers and horror fans, although it still tends to divide the latter – I like it, I can think of few films that breathe down your neck in quite the same way, and also you have to bear in mind that found footage wasn't such a lame duck back in the late nineties (or any kind of duck really, TBWP pretty much inaugurated it as a genre commonplace which is regrettably still going strong today). Anyway, this new 'Blair Witch' is very well made by Adam Wingard and, although it's also a semi-sequel in some ways, more or less treads the path beaten down by its prototype in that we have a local legend, some kids with cameras, a forest to get lost in before everything goes wrong and a creepy house at the end. I mean, there are different group dynamics and some modern shite like camera-laden drones that do bollocks all apart from fly around for a bit, but nothing really novel. I was entertained, and wanted to keep watching, but I can't see this film stemming the cries of “heresy!” that some fans make when something valued is retouched (though to be honest, those cries are really more likely to be “Zzzzz!”, or, more charitably, “Pretty good in some ways, but, what's the point?!”) Adam Wingard has made some excellent genre flicks from 'Home Sick' to 'You're Next' to 'The Guest', so I was expecting something different and better, but in itself 'Blair Witch' is still worth a watch.

DEATH PROOF – Quentin's half of the Grindhouse double, 'Death Proof' is full of the director's usual sassy talk, although to his credit he does somehow manage to make vast stretches of people chatting feel mesmerisingly watchable. All the reference-heavy dialogue might entertain, but it's Kurt Russell's turn as a murderous ex stunt man that gives the film its attractive seam of menace. I was quite impressed with his way of offing his victims – forcing them to ride in his modified stunt mobile without a seatbelt or any buffering, and basically letting high velocity and sharp swerves do their work. Good stuff, I'm not a massive QT worshipper but I really like this one and of course 'Kill Bill'.

PURGE 3 ELECTION NIGHT – Number three in the franchise ups the tension, the mayhem and to some extent the politics, which are even more obvious in this tale of a liberal politician's attempt to rid America of the cull. Predictably, she becomes a target of the old regime on purge night, and cue lots of chase sequences and various bits of violence. I like what this series is doing in some ways, and it's good that a genre film is making these kind of social statements in the realm of DT etc (steps down from soapbox before rant mode fully engaged). But I did prefer the creepier, more low key edge of the first one and it seems that the risk here is of the series becoming a bit too familiar with its well worn siege tropes and so on. Well made though, definitely diverting and worth seeing.

SE7EN – The film that put Fincher on the map, 'Se7en' is a smooth thriller with a slightly apocalyptic vibe which unfolds a game of cat and mouse between a crazed killer and a couple of detectives. You knew that already, but, just sayin'... I suppose there's little point in blowing a load of digital ink on this as it's been so comprehensively digested by viewers and fans, but it was fun to see it the other day for the first time in ages.

Demoncrat 1st February 2017 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 519333)
If you are a fan of Joy Division, the Ian Curtis biopic 'Control' is well worth watching

Imho, Oh no, it isn't :laugh: ;);)

Demoncrat 1st February 2017 02:03 PM

Have done anything really Cultlabby recently...so I watched this video I've had kicking about in the house for a while....

The Wailing (Budget Pack release....75 minutes)
Which turns out to be Murder Obssession cough :laugh:
A shockingly trimmed, murky print....
If there is a blu
SOLD!!!!

Mates were nonplussed :confused::laugh:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st February 2017 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 519601)
Have done anything really Cultlabby recently...so I watched this video I've had kicking about in the house for a while....

The Wailing (Budget Pack release....75 minutes)
Which turns out to be Murder Obssession cough :laugh:
A shockingly trimmed, murky print....
If there is a blu
SOLD!!!!

Mates were nonplussed :confused::laugh:

There is indeed a Blu from Raro in the US that is worth picking up:

http://dv1.us/p1/138/175138-d0.jpg

Deadite 1st February 2017 09:56 PM

Capricorn One. Ah, a good old slice of conspiracy pie. Based somewhat, i suspect, on theories that the moon landings were faked, this film widens the plot to the first 'manned' mission to Mars. To its eternal credit, the film doesn't muck about - no silly training montages or touching family goodbyes to get you attached to the characters. Nope, the film starts with them entering the capsule, and before you can say "NASA cover-up to protect future funding. Oh, did i say we'll do unmentionable things to your loved ones if you don't play along?" the crew are up to their neck in fake films and transmissions. Elliot Gould does his trade-marked 70's lovably rumpled spanner in the works (in this case an investigative reporter) and Telly Savalas his equally trade-marked 70's nut-job "Pervert!". Karen Black looks suspiciously cross-eyed as the (very) mild love interest for Gould.

The astronauts themselves are James Brolin (fine job), Sam Waterston (equally fine job as the joker of the pack - his joke as he climbs the cliff is a cracker) and the (not proven) wife-killer OJ Simpson does well enough too. Add Hal Holbrook as the geezer who manufactures the whole thing to protect his funding and then finds that as things spiral out of control, he does worse and worse things to justify himself, and you have a fine cast in a fine film.

Haven't seen it since the mid-nineties i reckon and forgot how much i enjoyed it. I won't wait that long for the next viewing.

iank 1st February 2017 10:15 PM

Spooks: The Greater Good. Passable enough movie version of the long-running BBC series. Peter Firth is as good as ever as Harry Pierce, as is Tim McInnerny, also reprising his recurring role from the series in hilariously sleazy fashion (and he has a spectacular scene looking a gun-toting terrorist in the eye and unrepentantly verbally ripping him to shreds). There's no real reason for this to be a film rather than a TV special, though, other than the obvious (money).

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st February 2017 10:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
June (2015)

A new take on the possessed child genre of films. In this a 9 year old girl shares her body with a primal force following an initiation ceremony in the woods. Now an orphan, the authorities try to find a family for her with tragic consequences.

June is nothing remotely original, but it is largely fairly enjoyable. Taking it's cues from the best parts of superior fayre like The Exorcist, Carrie and Firestarter the film often seems like a game of 'Where have i seen that before?' but thanks to a quietly involving script that does away with the usual jump scares and semi credible actors in Victoria Pratt, Caspar Van Dien and the unknown Kennedy Brice as June, i found the film to be an interesting little horror thriller that was well worth the Poundland asking price.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st February 2017 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 519679)
Spooks: The Greater Good. Passable enough movie version of the long-running BBC series. Peter Firth is as good as ever as Harry Pierce, as is Tim McInnerny, also reprising his recurring role from the series in hilariously sleazy fashion (and he has a spectacular scene looking a gun-toting terrorist in the eye and unrepentantly verbally ripping him to shreds). There's no real reason for this to be a film rather than a TV special, though, other than the obvious (money).

Made me smile when filming this as buses advertising Kit Harrington appearing in Pompeii kept going past and ruining takes.

keirarts 2nd February 2017 07:09 AM

sadako vs kayako

Essentially the plot can be summed up as exorcist decides to try and ridding a woman of the ring curse by putting her in the grudge house and watching the two black haired ghost duke it out.
I went in with the lowest of expectations and that was probably the best frame of mind to be in. It messes with the lore surrounding sadako something rotten and the film is not as good as the first film in either franchise however its probably at least as good f not better than the sequels. Treat this as an out there eastern midnight movie and you might get some kicks out of it.

The neighbour

From the director of The Collector and teaming up again with Josh Stewart. This has Stewart as a small time hood working for the family business. His girlfriend, played by the chick from starrey eyes see's the neighbour chasing a bleeding man and when stewart comes home she's disappeared. His suspicion falls on the neighbour and he soon discovers there is more to him than meets the eye.
Not so much a horror, its more a rural crime thriller that morphs into horror in the third act. Its slow starting but soon becomes a decent, very tense thriller and the third act is fantastic. Well worth seeking out.

trebor8273 2nd February 2017 07:27 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB3jpozGjhk

lets be honest its a terrible movie, bad acting,pacing, script and music, but it has a strange bizarre charm of its own and is quite creepy and the creepiest of all is that creepy little bastard and has unhealthy love for his mommy! 6.5/10

its February 2nd and that means tonights viewing is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSVeDx9fk60

Cinematic Shocks 2nd February 2017 09:59 PM

Johnny Handsome (1989)

***1/2 out of *****

Deadite 2nd February 2017 10:59 PM

Good Lord. How on earth is John Wick a 15 certificate? One of the most violent films i've ever seen. It's a decent enough flick, but it's well-trod territory, although the 'hit-man hotel' hints at a larger universe that perhaps will be explored in the sequel coming up. Is this another film based on a graphic novel? Kinda feels like it.

Buboven 2nd February 2017 11:38 PM

Bought Bloodsucking Pharaohs today and quite enjoyed it in the same vein as Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers, liked the characters, who were played well and nice trashy gore by Savini.

What do you guys think of it? :)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd February 2017 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buboven (Post 519797)
Bought Bloodsucking Pharaohs today and quite enjoyed it in the same vein as Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers, liked the characters, who were played well and nice trashy gore by Savini.

What do you guys think of it? :)

Yeah, I liked it.

It actually surprised me as I thought I'd find it mediocre/bad but as you say it is very akin to Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers (another film I enjoy) in tone.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 3rd February 2017 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 519795)
Good Lord. How on earth is John Wick a 15 certificate? One of the most violent films i've ever seen. It's a decent enough flick, but it's well-trod territory, although the 'hit-man hotel' hints at a larger universe that perhaps will be explored in the sequel coming up. Is this another film based on a graphic novel? Kinda feels like it.

It was based on an original story and screenplay by Derek Kolstad, so not a graphic novel (or series).

In terms of the violence and 15 certificate, the BBFC only seem to issue 18 certificates when there is strong sex or sexual violence in the film/TV series. I'm really looking forward to Chapter 2 because I thought the first one was a superbly executed action revenge thriller.

J Harker 3rd February 2017 09:19 AM

The Damned. Joseph Losey. 1962.

What a brilliant little film this is. American tourist Simon Wells is vacationing in Weymouth on the south coast of England. After being brutally mugged and beaten by King and his biker gang Wells retreats to his yacht to lick his wounds. Approached by Kings sister Joan, he offers to take her away from the town and her clearly unstable brother and his gang. King tracks her down and the two escape in Wells boat. After reluctantly agreeing to return Joan to shore so she can go back to her brother the pair end up finding themselves trapped in a strange underground research facility beneath the cliffs, home to a group of strange and abnormally cold young children.
Given its sharp ninety-one minutes runtime this film squeezes a bit of everything in, and does it with room to spare. The characters all manage to be more than meets the eye and the bleak dystopian finally is haunting. The film looks wonderful, quite epic is some scenes and while I've heard of it before I'm surprised it's not better known. Also of note are a range of superb performances particularly a mesmerising Oliver Reed as gang leader King who I'll eat my hat if he wasn't some sort of inspiration for Malcolm McDowell's Alex in a Clockwork Orange. Shirley Anne Field is rather lovely if a little nuts as his sister Joan. Brilliant film and at 49p probably one of the best bargains I've ever got.

Susan Foreman 3rd February 2017 03:56 PM

'The Last Horror Film' (1982) is the strange title of an entertaining travelogue documentary about the 1981 Cannes Film Festival.

It's fascinating, seeing the advertising hoardings for the Bond film 'For Your Eyes Only' at the entrance to a hotel. It's also a trip down memory lane, seeing the posters for the films that were at the festival - 'Excalibur', 'Possession', 'Diva' - and I'm sure I saw a cinema advertising a showing of 'Cannibal Holocaust'.

In addition to these, the docu also features a number of radio news stories covering such events as the John Hinkley assassination attempt on Ronald Reagan, the assassination attempt on Pope John Paul II and also events concerning the IRA

There is also footage of a press interview with an actress with weird Elsa Lancaster/'Bride Of Frankenstein' hair, where the subject of violence in films is talked about - bearing in mind the 'Video Recordings Act' (which was concerned with the Video Nasty scandal) wasn't passed until 1984, this is a disturbing piece of foreshadowing

Oh yeah, the film also has a subplot about some fat, sweaty psycho trying to get a horror film actress to appear in a film he is intent on making, and killing anyone who gets in his way - presumably some way of trying to justify the title

Nordicdusk 3rd February 2017 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 186502

In the middle of a bad separation from his wife Seok Woo an over worked father finds it more and more difficult to spend time with his daughter Soo-an with only his mother to help look after her the stress is starting to tell on Seok Woo. With Soo-ans birthday on the horizon all she want is to go and visit her mother in Busan but with her father's crazy work schedule the trip looks unlikely to happen but his mind is changed after a few words from his heartbroken mother.

On the drive to the train station they are almost run off the road by emergency vehicles heading to the scene of a raging inferno not overly concerned the pair continue on their way to catch their train. Just before departure a homeless looking man sneaks on to the train and hids in the toilet shortly followed on a different carriage by a visible shaken and ill young woman from here what should be a trip ending in a joyful reunion for Soo-an and her mother turns into a living nightmare for everyone on board.

This is a very emotionally driven experience ( i must be getting soft my last review was also emotionally driven too :confused: ;)) The relationship between father and daughter is strained but there is also so much love between the two not only is there a journey for both to repair the damage to their relationship but Seok Woo must also have his own personal journey to discover that he is not the centre of the universe he has responsibility to his daughter and his fellow man. Train to Busan is an infection film not a zombie film just wanted to get that out of the way so there is speed to the infected much like 28 Days Later which makes the film even more frantic having such vicious,aggressive and fast infected in such a small space added to that all stations and cities along the way have been closed off by the military but only Busan has not been infected so their only chance of survival is to make it to the final stop while fending off the infected on board.

There are some really great characters in this film and the kid that plays Soo-an is really fantastic for such a young child. We have everything from the young child to a couple expecting their first child the mother is fragile in her heavily pregnant stage and her husband his doing his best to protect his loving wife and his unborn daughter to a young loved up teenage couple all the way up to a self centered business man who only cares about his own survival and will go to any lengths to make sure he stays alive. You find yourself getting pretty attached to many of these characters and rooting for them to survive while also hoping that one guy would just die already.

With all this emotions and character building there is also a train full of rabid infected something i seem to not have mentioned that much so far :lol: The makeup effects look great and i love the contorted movements of the infected and the speed there were a couple of scenes that reminded me a bit too much of World War Z but these were very short but that was the only time there was noticeable CGI.

I loved this one a very moving,touching and frantic experience. You may need a box of tissues but not in a fun way :lol:

9/10

keirarts 3rd February 2017 05:29 PM

Alien

Alien mixes up elements from 50's & 60's B-movie sci-fi including It! terror from beyond space & Mario Bava's Planet of the vampires,films that inspired writers Dan O'Bannon & Ronald Shusett. It then gets a Hollywood effects budget and a serious director thrown into the mix in the shape of a then young but talented Ridley scott. Scott himself claims inspiration from Texas chainsaw massacre and the film plays more as a straight up horror flick wearing the skin of a sci-fi film. The films opening act taps into some genuine lovecraftian horror as the crew of the nostromo land on an isolated planet to investigate a mysterious signal. On the planet they discover a strange craft with a totally alien design and on board the desiccated remains of its pilot. The alien pilot is never really discussed in the film but it helps to maintain the complete sense of unease in the audience as they explore the craft. When Kane (john hurt) is attacked by a strange parasite and brought back to the craft the film then morphs into a haunted house in space as a creature erupts from Kanes chest and begins to hunt the crew down one by one.
The films strengths are its brilliant set design, the ship being a dank claustrophobic space that allows the creature myriad places to hide. The creature and alien craft designs by H.R Geiger remain unsurpassed and Scott, really on fire at this point in his career, manages to keep everything
consistent and tense.
My personal preference is for the theatrical cut, but there is a reedited version that addresses some pacing issues and adds a bizarre scene where the creature is turning the crew into eggs!

Deadite 3rd February 2017 10:28 PM

Godzilla. No, not the shit Mathew Broderick one (although i admit it's a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine - not as much as Street Fighter mind. That's an A1 bone fide guilty pleasure that makes the 1998 Godzilla look like Citizen Kane), but the slightly less shit Gareth Edwards one. That's a bit unfair maybe, as it has some great shots in it and it's an otherwise decent movie, but it has problems, especially for a monster movie and super especially for a Godzilla movie. That stuff comes with expectations.

So, other than being a generally visually disarming movie with a decent amount of emotional heart-string tugging before we get to the action (did i mention you don't get to see Godzilla for nearly an hour? No, well that's problem number 1), for me it is hamstrung by several factors.

2) I already did 1 up there, pay attention. Dark, dark, dark. Presumably money saving on effects, perhaps a misguided attempt at atmosphere. We want to see the monsters properly!

3) Even the bits we see are largely from our tiny human perspective - in the dark. So, we get some Godzilla and MUTO action (finally! but in the dark...) but as it's from a midgets view, as soon as they enter a building, or whatever, the monster action goes!

As you can tell, it annoys me a bit. It's a decent film that leaves me unfulfilled on the monster fighting front. I remember back when District 9 came out, i was amazed that they'd basically made a 'monster movie' (ok, aliens, but they look monstery) that was totally in daylight! We saw the buggers and that was a pretty low budget film!

More daylight in these films please.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd February 2017 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 519951)

More daylight in these films please.

This^

Some films are so dark today they are almost unwatchable.

Makes me pine for filtering like they used to do in westerns. Film everything in daylight but darken the filters for night time scenes. The sky looked odd but at least you could see what was going on.

Rik 3rd February 2017 10:50 PM

Hammer used to do that as well, I've always liked that look in a film :nod:

J Harker 3rd February 2017 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 519951)
Godzilla. No, not the shit Mathew Broderick one (although i admit it's a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine - not as much as Street Fighter mind. That's an A1 bone fide guilty pleasure that makes the 1998 Godzilla look like Citizen Kane), but the slightly less shit Gareth Edwards one. That's a bit unfair maybe, as it has some great shots in it and it's an otherwise decent movie, but it has problems, especially for a monster movie and super especially for a Godzilla movie. That stuff comes with expectations.

So, other than being a generally visually disarming movie with a decent amount of emotional heart-string tugging before we get to the action (did i mention you don't get to see Godzilla for nearly an hour? No, well that's problem number 1

Even after that hour hes barely in the film. It's like Godzilla had a cameo in his own movie. We see far more of the big moth things. Hell we see more of Bryan Cranston! Give me the Broderick film any day. And I don't even like Matthew Broderick.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd February 2017 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 519956)
Hammer used to do that as well, I've always liked that look in a film :nod:

Yeah they did. Wonder why i thought of westerns and not Hammer? :doh:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th February 2017 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 519958)
Even after that hour hes barely in the film. It's like Godzilla had a cameo in his own movie. We see far more of the big moth things. Hell we see more of Bryan Cranston! Give me the Broderick film any day. And I don't even like Matthew Broderick.

In fairness, Godzilla is present in this film more than in the original 1954 film, when the titular monster was on screen for 14 minutes. I like the 'less is more' approach (similar to Jaws) and not running the risk of 'battle fatigue' from something like Man of Steel when the incessant fighting just becomes boring.

J Harker 4th February 2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 519962)
In fairness, Godzilla is present in this film more than in the original 1954 film, when the titular monster was on screen for 14 minutes. I like the 'less is more' approach (similar to Jaws) and not running the risk of 'battle fatigue' from something like Man of Steel when the incessant fighting just becomes boring.

The 1954 version is terrible. I've never made it to the end. Fallen asleep or given up every time. I've always been a fan of the Roland Emmerich version. I want to see the monster in a monster movie, less is more is just silly when the damn monster is supposed to be the size of a tower block. I still find it odd how little Godzilla Gareth Edwards showed us in Godzilla but how much Peter Cushing he gave us in Rogue One.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th February 2017 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 519970)
The 1954 version is terrible. I've never made it to the end. Fallen asleep or given up every time. I've always been a fan of the Roland Emmerich version. I want to see the monster in a monster movie, less is more is just silly when the damn monster is supposed to be the size of a tower block. I still find it odd how little Godzilla Gareth Edwards showed us in Godzilla but how much Peter Cushing he gave us in Rogue One.

My favourite Godzilla film is Godzilla 2000. ****ing excellent if you'll pardon my French.

J Harker 4th February 2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 519971)
My favourite Godzilla film is Godzilla 2000. ****ing excellent if you'll pardon my French.

Never heard of it. Japanese one?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th February 2017 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 519970)

I'm completely the opposite – bored senseless by the Emmerich film but love the anti-nuclear message and character study in the Toho film.

Fair point about the overuse of CGI Cushing in Rogue One though.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th February 2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 519971)

I haven't seen that one, but I've only seen a few of the Godzilla films.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th February 2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 519973)
Never heard of it. Japanese one?

It is.

It's truly brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akes6lbGjaY

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th February 2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 519975)
I'm completely the opposite – bored senseless by the Emmerich film but love the anti-nuclear message and character study in the Toho film.

Fair point about the overuse of CGI Cushing in Rogue One though.

The parts i thought truly dire. :peep:

J Harker 4th February 2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 519978)
The parts i thought truly dire. :peep:

Likewise. Barely got the message and didn't notice any character study. The Emmerich job has its faults to be sure but its fun and i'd take that over messages and character study any day when the actual film is dull as arse.

Inspector Abberline 4th February 2017 03:18 PM

I just enjoy a man in a monster suit smashing tiny models to pieces with his big feet....:embarassed:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th February 2017 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 519977)
It is.

It's truly brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akes6lbGjaY

Duly noted. :nod:

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 519985)
The Emmerich job has its faults to be sure but its fun and i'd take that over messages and character study any day when the actual film is dull as arse.

As I haven't seen it for many years, the positives I take from the Roland Emmerich film are from the soundtrack!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIUAC03YMlA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrSyrOaoAug