All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th February 2011, 08:50 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I watched CARLOS THE JACKAL last night.A long film,but very well acted and made.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 11th February 2011, 09:29 AM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Last night I watched the bizzare Japanese horror House. I'm not sure if I liked it or not. It took a while to get going, but on the other hand I never really found myself bored with it. Not sure if I'm any the wiser as to what its all about, but if you like you horror films odd and with a kind of weird hippy feel to them you might like House
Old 11th February 2011, 10:07 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioZombie View Post
Last night I watched the bizzare Japanese horror House. I'm not sure if I liked it or not. It took a while to get going, but on the other hand I never really found myself bored with it. Not sure if I'm any the wiser as to what its all about, but if you like you horror films odd and with a kind of weird hippy feel to them you might like House
Just discovered this little gem a few months back myself. 'Tis a hard film to pin down in some ways due to the wild mix of genres, techniques and tones it utilises; plus it seems fascinating to speculate as to what kind of audience the director was pitching the film at (the fact that elements of the story were suggested by the director's teenage daughter may or may not answer that question but they certainly go some way to explaining the giddy, sugar-coated, cartoonsish qualities of much of the film).

Certainly feel the need to watch this again to clarify a few things that continue to nag me slightly (i.e. can't make my mind up yet whether I think it's intentionally satirical or not; pretty certain it may well be) but nonetheless I thoroughly enjoyed it first time through. Wanna pick up the Criterion Blu at some point (am sure those day-glo colours and general acid tinged tripiness will look stunning in HD) but will have to invest in a multi-region player to do so

Must admit, it was some of the creative comparisons I heard made in certain reviews which made me want to hunt this down. For instance, how could I resist watching a film described variously as "Scooby Doo as directed by Dario Argento" or "an episode of the Monkees as directed by Fellini" Whilst these comparisons are frankly somewhat reductive they do go a long way to showing just how bizarre this film really is.
Old 11th February 2011, 11:09 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigZagZombie View Post
Just discovered this little gem a few months back myself. 'Tis a hard film to pin down in some ways due to the wild mix of genres, techniques and tones it utilises; plus it seems fascinating to speculate as to what kind of audience the director was pitching the film at (the fact that elements of the story were suggested by the director's teenage daughter may or may not answer that question but they certainly go some way to explaining the giddy, sugar-coated, cartoonsish qualities of much of the film).

Certainly feel the need to watch this again to clarify a few things that continue to nag me slightly (i.e. can't make my mind up yet whether I think it's intentionally satirical or not; pretty certain it may well be) but nonetheless I thoroughly enjoyed it first time through. Wanna pick up the Criterion Blu at some point (am sure those day-glo colours and general acid tinged tripiness will look stunning in HD) but will have to invest in a multi-region player to do so

Must admit, it was some of the creative comparisons I heard made in certain reviews which made me want to hunt this down. For instance, how could I resist watching a film described variously as "Scooby Doo as directed by Dario Argento" or "an episode of the Monkees as directed by Fellini" Whilst these comparisons are frankly somewhat reductive they do go a long way to showing just how bizarre this film really is.
i second that emotion...
Old 11th February 2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigZagZombie View Post

"Scooby Doo as directed by Dario Argento"
That is the one I would say best describes the basic tone of House for me.
Old 11th February 2011, 07:20 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioZombie View Post
That is the one I would say best describes the basic tone of House for me.
In my review, I said it was "as crazy as a couple of waltzing cats, and just as much fun to watch".
Old 11th February 2011, 08:50 PM
Active Cultist

House is exceptional. It's very Japanese.

I watched The I Spit on Your Grave remake today. It's vastly superior to the original, which I've never had much of a fondness for.
Old 11th February 2011, 10:28 PM

I watched the remaster 30th anniversary edition of The Spook Who Say By The Door Tonight. The film was as excellent as ever, but the sound quality let it down a bit. A lot of the dialouge was quite muddy and hard to make out. I think this may have been to do with its low budget nature, and the original recordings are just not up to scratch.
Old 11th February 2011, 11:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Just seen Tucker and Dale vs Evil
its a workprint (yes bad me )

was awesome tho so funni. best horror com since zombieland

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 12th February 2011, 07:06 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
In my review, I said it was "as crazy as a couple of waltzing cats, and just as much fun to watch".
Lol, can't disagree with you there

Like this? Share it using the links below!