Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179599Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th May 2011, 08:25 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Took advantage of my girlfriend going out tonight and watched City of the Living Dead too. I've watched all 3 of Fulci's Gates of Hell trilogy in the last couple of days. And I've loved it!
Old 19th May 2011, 08:29 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Took advantage of my girlfriend going out tonight and watched City of the Living Dead too. I've watched all 3 of Fulci's Gates of Hell trilogy in the last couple of days. And I've loved it!
I read the first 5 words, and was worried where that sentence was going there for a second, Paul!

Which film from the Gates of Hell trilogy is your favourite? Mine is The Beyond, closely followed by City.
Old 19th May 2011, 08:35 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I read the first 5 words, and was worried where that sentence was going there for a second, Paul!
Haha! She does love horror films but the gorier moments of Fulci and Argento really make her feel ill and so she's not a fan therefore having the house to myself is a good opportunity to watch such things.

Quote:
Which film from the Gates of Hell trilogy is your favourite? Mine is The Beyond, closely followed by City.
I'd have to say The Beyond too by a mile and then probably House By the Cemetery although City of the Living Dead is fantastic too. There's something about the direction in The Beyond which really makes it stand out higher than the other 2.
Old 19th May 2011, 08:50 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Haha! She does love horror films but the gorier moments of Fulci and Argento really make her feel ill and so she's not a fan therefore having the house to myself is a good opportunity to watch such things.
Mine doesn't like the extreme gore side of things either, Paul. She'll watch quite a bit of horror, though; she's seen some Argento (Tenebrae and Bird with the Crystal Plumage), but I haven't introduced her to Fulci yet - although I suspect it wouldn't be her thing!

Quote:
I'd have to say The Beyond too by a mile and then probably House By the Cemetery although City of the Living Dead is fantastic too. There's something about the direction in The Beyond which really makes it stand out higher than the other 2.
I agree that there is something about The Beyond which makes it stand out from the other two films. The atmosphere and suspense that is present throughout is also a testament to Fulci's skill as a director.

I wasn't that keen on City on my first couple of viewings, but it has grown on me over the years, and is actually now one of my favourite horror films.
Old 19th May 2011, 09:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Beyond used to be my favourite by a long stretch, i suppose familiarity really can breed contempt as now i much prefer City, with House second, and The Beyond bringing up the rear.

No doubt will have all changed by this time next year.
platostotal likes this.
Old 19th May 2011, 09:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I should really do a triple bill one evening of the three in chronological order as I'm pretty sure I know them in order of preference but I want to be sure. Anyway, it won't exactly be a chore!
Old 20th May 2011, 12:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Saw The Crawling Eye again last night.

An excellent British monster movie based on the ITV 6 part tv series - The Trollenberg Terror.

It stars Forrest Tucker (Hammer's The Abominable Snowman) and Lawrence Payne (Vampire Circus). Written by Hammer's Jimmy Sangster.

The plot centres around an alpine research station in the Swiss Alps, that becomes overrun by creatures resembling giant eyes with tentacles. The film is very well acted with superb model work as the creatures attack the station at the climax.

Image entertainment's print has been fully restored and looks superb.
No extras except a trailer but at under £4 from Amazon you can't grumble.

The aliens in the Simpsons - Kodos and Kang were based on the Crawling Eye.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51Q8M6QNFGL__SL500_AA300_.jpg (23.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg imagesCAGNH1GY.jpg (12.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg imagesCACE32X5.jpg (13.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg imagesCA5USYCW.jpg (7.8 KB, 52 views)
Old 20th May 2011, 05:46 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Takashi Miike's remake of 13 Assassins and Nobuhiko Ôbayashi's House.

Both wonderful.
Old 20th May 2011, 06:09 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Saw The Crawling Eye again last night.

An excellent British monster movie based on the ITV 6 part tv series - The Trollenberg Terror.

It stars Forrest Tucker (Hammer's The Abominable Snowman) and Lawrence Payne (Vampire Circus). Written by Hammer's Jimmy Sangster.

The plot centres around an alpine research station in the Swiss Alps, that becomes overrun by creatures resembling giant eyes with tentacles. The film is very well acted with superb model work as the creatures attack the station at the climax.

Image entertainment's print has been fully restored and looks superb.
No extras except a trailer but at under £4 from Amazon you can't grumble.

The aliens in the Simpsons - Kodos and Kang were based on the Crawling Eye.
very good film that and the R1 disc has a great transfer. It's weird seeing Alf Garnett as a scientist though...
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 20th May 2011, 06:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
very good film that and the R1 disc has a great transfer. It's weird seeing Alf Garnett as a scientist though...
Forgot about that

Like this? Share it using the links below!