Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th May 2011, 02:56 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream demon View Post
Tobe Hooper's Crocodile

*WARNING* Possible spoilers. Just teeny weeny ones, but just wanted you to know ...

Just watched this tonight and rather enjoyed it. I was a bit hesitant at first but wanted it for my Tobe Hooper collection, and it was much better than I expected. If I had a couple of criticisms, it was that it was a bit slow to get going, and also that it was a bad idea to have so much of the film take place in daylight. Imo the middle of the film with the croc stalking the main characters at night was much more effective. More obvious is that some of the CGI was distinctly dodgy, which was a pity as I think the animatronic croc looked great. One thing that left me puzzled was all the references to the old hotel - you even see it in the film - but that goes absolutely nowhere. It was as if they intended for it to be a key part of the film, but then they just ran out of money and decided to just end the film.

The 'old hotel' reference may be to Hooper's 'Eaten alive' mid 70s flick with old guy that chucks unwanted guests to his croc in a swamp.
Old 26th May 2011, 05:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

My friend lent me Bitter feast

Just watched i quite enjoyed it didnt relie to much on gore violence cgi
More of a slowly paced film like calvaire ...quite enjoyed thought it was good to watch if you never seen it..but not quite good enough to make me want to go out and buy it or watch again in such a hurry..
Old 26th May 2011, 08:07 PM
Ex-member

Default What films have you seen recently?

BLUE THUNDER - still an excellent piece of entertainment
BODY DOUBLE - De Palma's underrated 1984 thriller
KILL BILL VOL 1 - uncut Jap dvd, one of Tarantino's best
Old 26th May 2011, 10:21 PM
Cultist

Just watched Dark City. Excellent film with a great central idea (apparently based on a concept called "last Thursdayism"). The alien "strangers" were genuinely creepy and reminded me a bit of Cenobites. Richard O'Brien was fantastic, as was Bruce Spence (I love that guy). Highly recommended if you've never seen it.
Old 26th May 2011, 10:27 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryJack View Post
Just watched Dark City. Excellent film with a great central idea (apparently based on a concept called "last Thursdayism"). The alien "strangers" were genuinely creepy and reminded me a bit of Cenobites. Richard O'Brien was fantastic, as was Bruce Spence (I love that guy). Highly recommended if you've never seen it.
couldn't agree more, and The Matrix totally steals alot from this film, it's a shame Alex Proyas didn't make more dark Sci-fi but I, Robot was still fun.
Old 26th May 2011, 11:31 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The kids and I watched THE MONSTER SQUAD the other night.
Still daftly enjoyable.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 27th May 2011, 07:58 AM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Last night I saw the new directors edit of Cannibal Holocuast introduced by Ruggero Deodato himself.

The only differences I noticed to the film were in the acts of animal cruelty. The first big major change was to the muskrat scene, this was handled very well cutting to the jungle canopy, with the screeching of the creature laid over the top.

The other cuts to the animals seemed a bit more obvious, for some reason Deodate has chosen to put some scratched and damaged blue film it to link editied sections, these looked a little of out place to me.

Having only seen the film a two or three times previously to this, I am not sure if there are other sections that have been changed that I have not picked up on. Nothing was obviously missing and all of the cannibal (and doumentary team) violence seemed to be 100% in tact.

Over all, in my opinion this version is not significantly different to the versions I have seen before (I'm sure others will have a lot more to say on this subject than me), and it certainly retains it gut punching impact.

Great work by Deodato and Shamless!
Old 27th May 2011, 01:04 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Somewhere no one has ever heard off. Lucky beggars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
The 'old hotel' reference may be to Hooper's 'Eaten alive' mid 70s flick with old guy that chucks unwanted guests to his croc in a swamp.
Ah, I see, I hadn't thought of that. Eaten Alive is a film I definitely need to see.
Old 27th May 2011, 01:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream demon View Post
Ah, I see, I hadn't thought of that. Eaten Alive is a film I definitely need to see.
Erm from my opinion you dont its bleeding terrible
antmumford and platostotal like this.
Old 27th May 2011, 02:11 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I gave a rewatch to The Avengers last night.

I really don't know what to make of it.

On some levels it is quite poor - The tea and macaroon references every five minutes, the lack of chemistry between Fiennes and Thurman, the below average storyline.

Yet parts of it i really like - the opening village scenes, the mechanical wasp attack, the snow bound London landscapes, and Uma Thurman has never looked better.

If you have never seen it, pick it up cheap on Amazon/Ebay and give it a go, whilst severely flawed, its never boring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ralph_fiennes_uma_thurman_the_avengers_002.jpg (47.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ralph_fiennes_the_avengers_002.jpg (30.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg imagesCAE3T6ZR.jpg (5.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg imagesCAOP3FS9.jpg (8.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg imagesCAWLAS0I.jpg (6.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg imagesCASJAM0D.jpg (5.7 KB, 0 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!