Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th May 2011, 09:08 PM
Cult Rookie

Watched London Voodoo this afternoon and was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it
Old 30th May 2011, 09:29 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I, er, watched "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" this afternoon. It's even better than I remembered and up there with "Mary Poppins".
Is the child catcher still incredibly scary?
Old 30th May 2011, 09:35 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Is the child catcher still incredibly scary?
I'd say more creepy than scary. Oddly my kids, aged 3 and 5 think he's great, it's me and Mrs MTDS who
Old 30th May 2011, 09:47 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I'd say more creepy than scary. Oddly my kids, aged 3 and 5 think he's great, it's me and Mrs MTDS who
He is certainly a very sinister creation and I remember being scared by him when I was a child. Kids nowadays, huh!
Old 31st May 2011, 09:28 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Went to see the new restoration of APOCALYPSE NOW at the cinema last night. Its looked and sounded out-of-this-world! It was fantastic to get the chance to see it on the big screen. Coppola's own American Zoetrope studio did the digital remastering and really did the best possible job.

The film itself is beyond compare as far as war films go if you ask me... its a stunningly realised film, the action and set pieces are incredible to watch. Robert Duvall and Martin Sheen are show stealers but Brando's presence towards the end of the film is incredible. The atmosphere created from the haunting music and beautiful but alien locations really make it a special film.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 31st May 2011, 09:32 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

That's very good to hear. As long as it's not sold out, I'm going to see it next week as I thoroughly enjoyed every classic film I've seen on the big screen, from It's a Wonderful Life to Withnail & I and The Wicker Man.

I ready have the Apocalypse Now Blu-ray set ordered, but I don't think anything can compare to the proper cinema experience.
Old 31st May 2011, 11:52 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Over the bank holiday weekend i finally watched for the first time - Who Can Kill A Child

I was a little disappointed by it. Probably because i thought the film would be a more graphic experience rather than the more subtle film it turned out to be. I will probably love it second time around.

The harrowing stock footage of the first eight minutes apart the film probably would have got away with a 15 certificate as the actions of the holidaying couple were completely justified, and in that situation the answer to the films title question is me, you and everyone.

Eureka's dvd is superb quality, the print is crystal clear and shows no sign of grain or print damage. Its good to see another company enjoying the films and taking care with the films they release, i hope this sells well enough for them to stick with the horror genre as well as their more arthouse releases.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagesCA5BF1UJ.jpg (13.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg imagesCAUHVLMH.jpg (10.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg imagesCAEZBGYO.jpg (11.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 31st May 2011, 06:49 PM
Active Cultist

Just watched Boogie Nights. What a great movie!

Unfortunately I watched a dodgy UK disc which is cropped and has bad colouring. But in a strange way it made it look more authentic, I actually thought it was made in the 70s until loads of recognisable actors turned up! Need to get the BD!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boogie_nights_ver1.jpg (28.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 31st May 2011, 07:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Sharpay’s Fabulous Adventure
The Girl who kiked the hornets' nest. Good overall film, but lacked the action contained in the other films. I thought it ended with a sizzle instead of a bang. Would love another film to be made to give this series the send off it deserves

Shutter Island. I really liked this film. The more the film progressed, the more I understood about previous parts of the film and realised how clever it was Also I really quite like Dicaprio now. His Titanic days are long gone
Old 31st May 2011, 09:45 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It was some time ago, possibly after The Departed, that Mark Kermode forgave DiCaprio for Titanic. There is probably enough water under the bridge and excellent performances since then and DiCaprio has established himself as one of the finest actors currently working.

Like this? Share it using the links below!