Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179031Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2011, 08:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

ID - one of the better Football Hooligan films in my opinion, even if the descent from ambitious cop to hardened hooligan is all a bit too sudden. A great scene-chewing performance from Sean Pertwee helps too!

Violent Naples - another great crime film from Lenzi, which even features a bit of trademark gore! This is definitely up there with Almost Human, although it doesn't quite scale the heights of The Cynic, The Rat and the Fist. The version on the Mafia Kingpin Collection is actually very watchable indeed and for anyone with an interest in Italian Crime films, the collection is a must at the price it goes for on Amazon.

Redneck - Definitely the other end of the spectrum in terms of Italian Crime, it took all my willpower to stop me turning this one off. WIth the involvment of Telly Savalas and Franco Nero, I was expecting great things from this but it was a bit of a snoozefest and the paternal relationship between the Franco Nero character and the hostage is all a bit unbelievable and cringeworthy. To make matters worse, the DVD was poor quality and I could hardly make out the night scenes (which were plentiful).
Old 12th August 2011, 08:35 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I love when the guy jumps out of the hospital window and the dummy they used arm falls off as it hit's the ground

Did you watch the Blu-ray Nos?
That bit is very funny -- it was clear a dummy was falling to the ground but, when its arm fell off, I almost couldn't believe what I was watching!

Yes, it was the BD which arrived from Planet Axel some time ago and has been on the 'to watch' pile for a month or so.
Old 12th August 2011, 09:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
ID - one of the better Football Hooligan films in my opinion, even if the descent from ambitious cop to hardened hooligan is all a bit too sudden. A great scene-chewing performance from Sean Pertwee helps too!

Violent Naples - another great crime film from Lenzi, which even features a bit of trademark gore! This is definitely up there with Almost Human, although it doesn't quite scale the heights of The Cynic, The Rat and the Fist. The version on the Mafia Kingpin Collection is actually very watchable indeed and for anyone with an interest in Italian Crime films, the collection is a must at the price it goes for on Amazon.

[.
Two excellent films, especially the brilliant Violent Naples. Try Rome,Armed to the Teeth from that collection next, its even better.
Old 12th August 2011, 09:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Art of War 2 - I never turn films off but after an hour of this turgid mess i couldn't bring myself to watch it anymore.

The film is pretty much plotless and has the worst fight scenes imaginable.

For example - Wesley Snipes is obviously a black guy, who wears black outfits throughout, so they have him fight two other guys dressed head to foot in black in a near pitch black room. How the hell are we supposed to see whats going on? To make matters even worse the scene is inter cut with Wesley being trained as a kid. So from peering into the gloom your eyes are suddenly assaulted by pointless bright sunlight and back again.

What a pile of .

I watch some rubbish, as do all Cult Labbers but this was the worst thing i have been subjected to in years.
Old 12th August 2011, 09:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Two excellent films, especially the brilliant Violent Naples. Try Rome,Armed to the Teeth from that collection next, its even better.
That's the weird thing, my version doesn't have Rome, Armed to the Teeth but instead contains The Master Touch, which is a Di Leo film (I think). Maybe they had some licensing problems which led to it being removed from later editions but I'd rather have had the Lenzi film .
Old 12th August 2011, 10:01 PM
Ex-member

Default What films have you seen recently?

saw the very good ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST on tv last night
haven't seen the film in years
Old 12th August 2011, 10:16 PM
Cult Addict

WITCHES' HAMMER:A 1969 film from Czechoslovakia that examines the 17th century witch hunt using court records from the time as part of the script. Pretty good overall, with a nice mix of exploitation (loads of female nudity and graphic torture) mixed with serious drama and some images that are quite impressive in a silent film kind of way. Some of the subtitles are a bit iffy in translation, and on occasion make little sense. I presume the film is also a comment on hard line communism. Recommended.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 12th August 2011, 10:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
That's the weird thing, my version doesn't have Rome, Armed to the Teeth but instead contains The Master Touch, which is a Di Leo film (I think). Maybe they had some licensing problems which led to it being removed from later editions but I'd rather have had the Lenzi film .
I seem to be one of the few that has the set with RATTT (that's cool - rattt) If you can find it anywhere it really is excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
WITCHES' HAMMER:A 1969 film from Czechoslovakia that examines the 17th century witch hunt using court records from the time as part of the script. Pretty good overall, with a nice mix of exploitation (loads of female nudity and graphic torture) mixed with serious drama and some images that are quite impressive in a silent film kind of way. Some of the subtitles are a bit iffy in translation, and on occasion make little sense. I presume the film is also a comment on hard line communism. Recommended.
Will have to invest in this i think.
Old 12th August 2011, 10:42 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
This sounds really interesting, gonna have to check this out.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.609258,-0.268989
Old 12th August 2011, 10:49 PM
Cultist

Just watched the "the mothman prophecies", really good film and the documentary about the events it's based on is very interesting.maybe even better than the film.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.609127,-0.268931

Last edited by enterthehero; 12th August 2011 at 11:03 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!