Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th January 2012, 10:58 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched The Filth & the Fury last night, an awesome documentary about the Sex Pistols. Somehow managed to forget that I'd seen it before, but anyhoo...

I love the approach and style that Julien Temple adopts and some of the archive footage is absolutely fascinating - can anyone shine some light on the cartoon bits? Are they genuine?

I also love the fact that all involved are seemingly interviewed individually and in shadow as victims of horrible crimes are on the news.
The conflicting opinions and undisguised contempt and admiration add to the mystique of it all and I reckon the one person who comes off the worst has to be Maclaren, but everyone knows he's a bit (OK a lot) of a twat.

I might give it another whirl later with Temple's commentary.

I then started watching Urotsukodoji: Legend of the Overfiend, which I haven't seen since it came out on VHS. I never realised the UK cut has 45 mins removed!

Anyway it's still absolutely ridiculous and as complicated as I remember, but to be honest since I first saw it, it's totally lost any shock factor as I've watched way more subversive stuff since then.

The music is appallingly cheesy, which I really enjoyed and some of the creature drawings were great, but as far as my small knowledge about the genre extends I think it's definitely one of the lesser animes that I've seen, as it seems more concerned with being provocative at the expense of what could be a fascinating and interesting story. I'm lead to believe it differs greatly from the manga which was created by an excellent story teller and artist although I've yet to find out if these have been translated into English.

God that sounds like I was really down on it. It's great, sexy, violent fun - how about that?

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 4th January 2012, 11:29 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Over christmas i watched a new to me horror film every night. Here's the full list if anyones interested.

Shock Waves, Mardi Gras Massacre , Captain Kronos and Virgin Witch are films i had seen before but not since the early nineties.

December
2nd A Candle for the Devil
3rd Stag Night
4th Puzzle
5th Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter
6th Bloodrayne: The Third Reich
7th Shock Waves
8th Terror Train
9th Ghost Ship (1943)
10th Dance of the Dead
11th Demonia
12th Splice
13th Lake Placid 3
14th Devil
15th Wrong Turn 3. Left for Dead
16th Christopher Roth
17th Pet Sematary
18th Uninhabited
19th Edge of Sanity
20th Black Christmas (1974)
21st Night of the Demon
22nd Madman
23rd Virgin Witch
24th Tales from the Crypt
25th Saint
26th 2001 Maniacs Field of Screams
27th Nightmare
28th Sweatshop
29th Blood Night - The legend of Mary Hatchet
30th Mardi Gras Massacre
31st The Horde
Daemonia, Gojirosan, PaulD and 1 others like this.
Old 4th January 2012, 11:32 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Over christmas i watched a new to me horror film every night. Here's the full list if anyones interested.

Shock Waves, Mardi Gras Massacre , Captain Kronos and Virgin Witch are films i had seen before but not since the early nineties.

December
2nd A Candle for the Devil
3rd Stag Night
4th Puzzle
5th Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter
6th Bloodrayne: The Third Reich
7th Shock Waves
8th Terror Train
9th Ghost Ship (1943)
10th Dance of the Dead
11th Demonia
12th Splice
13th Lake Placid 3
14th Devil
15th Wrong Turn 3. Left for Dead
16th Christopher Roth
17th Pet Sematary
18th Uninhabited
19th Edge of Sanity
20th Black Christmas (1974)
21st Night of the Demon
22nd Madman
23rd Virgin Witch
24th Tales from the Crypt
25th Saint
26th 2001 Maniacs Field of Screams
27th Nightmare
28th Sweatshop
29th Blood Night - The legend of Mary Hatchet
30th Mardi Gras Massacre
31st The Horde

Cool list! I really want to watch at least one new-to-me film a day this year. Have done it so far but can't imagine I'll be able to keep it up with having loads of uni work to do. I have so many unwatched discs that I can't wait to watch.
Old 4th January 2012, 11:39 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Cool list! I really want to watch at least one new-to-me film a day this year. Have done it so far but can't imagine I'll be able to keep it up with having loads of uni work to do. I have so many unwatched discs that I can't wait to watch.
Nice, only another 362 to go.

I was fortunate that none of the films were truly awful, well, except Mardi Gras Massacre obviously. One or two (Demonia, The Horde) tried my patience but otherwise a good time was had.

Its my third year of doing this and i hope to continue in another 11 months time. Roll on Christmas 2012.
Old 4th January 2012, 01:35 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

watched The Hunted (1995) last night, a really cool Samurai's Vs Ninja's vs Christopher Lambert film which had a ridiculously cool sword fight on a japanese bullet train. Not an all out action film but i did remind me of Sonny Chiba films from 70s like The Street Fighter and Golgo 13. Recommended for fans of Japanese culture and action films.

Phurious likes this.
Old 4th January 2012, 01:38 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
watched The Hunted (1995) last night, a really cool Samurai's Vs Ninja's vs Christopher Lambert film which had a ridiculously cool sword fight on a japanese bullet train. Not an all out action film but i did remind me of Sonny Chiba films from 70s like The Street Fighter and Golgo 13. Recommended for fans of Japanese culture and action films.

I watched The Hunted not too long ago. Was nice to see it uncut, having been cut in the UK for its vhs release.
Old 4th January 2012, 02:00 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I've been watching a lot of mostly lame films recently. As such, let me talk to you about some movies on the other side of the dvd-and-related-media rainbow.
LIQUID SKY. This is simply one of my all time favorites. If you were around at the turn of the 80s in downtown Manhattan, I hope you were blessed enough to lead the same kind of existence as the guys and gals herein. Some alien visitors really dig the post-punk fashion scene and end up addicted to human orgasms. A Russian scientist guy with a telescope tracks them down, maybe. Yes, the substance - use analogy is crude. But it's great. The aliens manifest only as bad visual effects of the worst analogue kind. Everyone is a massively dissociated androgyne. The film itself is art-damaged to exactly the right degree. Strike an angular pose amidst the neon-slick grime and OD to no-wave electro skronk. Why won't the guardians of DVD set this one free? Why is the video lottery run by bastards?
TOURIST TRAP. Dummies, dolls and mannequins of all kinds make me happy when they spring to life. I'm not jaded enough to be beyond that stuff. In this one, Chuck Connors is the owner of a waxwork display just off the desert highway somewhere in late 70s California... a bunch of slasher-fodder teens find out that there's more to Chuck besides heart warming banter and cack-handed sub-Tussaudisms (namely, he is his own psycho killer twin and he can animate waxworks to creepy and murderous effect using the raw power of his diseased mind). Watch out for the killer freeze frame. From Charles Band before he went eighties.
didn't think much of TOURIST TRAP but I remember renting a video years ago called LIQUID SKY
it was a weird punk/sci fi/arthouse film but I enjoyed it and bought the dvd but full screen not 2.35:1
since sold it
not a great transfer but its a cult film rhat should have a proper release
Old 4th January 2012, 02:01 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
I love that sword fight on the Shinkansen, it's something that's always stuck with me. And I like the language barrier relationship between the old fella and Lambert.

I bought this a few months ago on DVD, but haven't actually watched it for years. Might have to remedy that tonight!

Old 4th January 2012, 04:12 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Watched Mother last night, Wow! What is it with these South Korean directors? They just seem to know how to make films just the way they should be. Beautifully shot, superbly acted, emotional, funny etc etc the list can go on.
First The Chaser blew me away, then The Good, The Bad and The Weird and then I Saw The Devil turned out to be one of the best films I've ever seen.
It seems to me that every South Korean film has something special about them. Can't wait to see what other offerings they have.

Any suggestions guys? Ones on your "must see" recommendations list?

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 4th January 2012, 04:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Watched Mother last night, Wow! What is it with these South Korean directors? They just seem to know how to make films just the way they should be. Beautifully shot, superbly acted, emotional, funny etc etc the list can go on.
First The Chaser blew me away, then The Good, The Bad and The Weird and then I Saw The Devil turned out to be one of the best films I've ever seen.
It seems to me that every South Korean film has something special about them. Can't wait to see what other offerings they have.

Any suggestions guys? Ones on your "must see" recommendations list?
I don't know that much new stuff, but 'must sees' include:

Save The Green Planet

Bittersweet Life

Memories of Murder

Any of Park Chan Wook's films - I'm guessing your familiar with Oldboy, Lady Vengeance and Sympathy for Mr Vengeance?

And the films of Kim Ki Duk in particular 3 Iron, Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring Again, Bad Guy, The Isle and Address Unknown

Like this? Share it using the links below!