Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179623Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th January 2012, 07:35 PM
Active Cultist

Had 60 mins tele time last night and stuck on Tod Brownings Freaks. What an hour it is - I would kill to see a complete directors cut of this but sadly It's never gonna happen. Part historical document, part melodrama part cheesy horror/exploitation - this is truly a unique experience. Some complain that the ending reinforces negative stereotypes but I don't see it that way - Cleopatra had it coming and was the real freak of the movie (along with her strongman lover) - there's no doubt where Browning's sympathies lay. Now I've got to track down The Unholy Three.
Old 15th January 2012, 07:36 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer6 View Post
Yes Vivien's character was hateful but that was the way girls of her status were grown! Watch 'A Streetcar Called Desire' If you haven't seen yet for a great performance by Leigh
A Streetcar Named Desire

No not seen it yet mate, GWTW was the first Vivien Leigh film I've seen so will definitely check it out soon.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 15th January 2012, 07:37 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Yeah, Freaks is gloriously good.

I haven't got around to buying it on disk since I ditched all my tape. I should.
Old 15th January 2012, 07:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
A Streetcar Named Desire

No not seen it yet mate, GWTW was the first Vivien Leigh film I've seen so will definitely check it out soon.
Right
Old 15th January 2012, 07:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
Had 60 mins tele time last night and stuck on Tod Brownings Freaks. What an hour it is - I would kill to see a complete directors cut of this but sadly It's never gonna happen. Part historical document, part melodrama part cheesy horror/exploitation - this is truly a unique experience. Some complain that the ending reinforces negative stereotypes but I don't see it that way - Cleopatra had it coming and was the real freak of the movie (along with her strongman lover) - there's no doubt where Browning's sympathies lay. Now I've got to track down The Unholy Three.
Negative stereotypes xmm.The film simple ask us who is the real freak.Very good film by Browning,I prefer it from Dracula
Old 15th January 2012, 08:39 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Just seen a Danish/Swedish drama called In a Better World.
I loved it, exceptional movie and quite powerful!
The 2 performances from the boys imo is Oscar worthy!

The story is about 2 families in Denmark who's 2 sons form a friendship and makes them do something that has serious consequences. One of the families is farther and son who move from London back to Denmark after the death of the wife/mother and other boy is from parents in the middle of a divorce. There are a lot of emotions in this movie and one of the scenes towards the end of the movie is very sad!

No hollywood movie has felt like this in a very long time and I actually clapped at the end.

It actually won the oscar for best foreign film!

My DVD Collection
Tumblr

Last edited by nekromantik; 15th January 2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 16th January 2012, 12:28 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Got to grips with ALTERED STATES which features William Hurt as a narcissistic scientist out to unravel the mysteries of self. To this end he subjects himself to various trials involving floatation tanks and psychedelic drugs. Far from reaching a plateau of epic transcendence, he ends up turning into a goat-killing ape man, then a weird maggot-thing before love conquers all. Probably based on the work of 60s psychonauts such as John Lilly. Not as excessive as 'Tommy' etc, but full of satisfying plunges into freaked-out inner space in the form of eighties-style trip sequences (these do tend to be broken up by long stretches of academics shouting at each other).
I've always liked Altered States. Probably not Russell's best film, but I enjoy the ridiculously trippy nature of the film. Although it does get a bit silly towards the end. When I was a youngster and I first saw the film, what he goes through to achieve an altered state used to baffle me, I thought 'Why not just drop some acid? Job done.' Of course, now I'm older, I understand that the film is a psychedelic voyage of self-discovery. Well, it could be many things, but that's how I read it.
Old 16th January 2012, 03:48 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Altitude - I expected this to be an OK timewaster, but I ended up really, really liking it. A wonderful Twilight Zone type thing - a little stretched at feature length - tense and fascinating. Spectacularly shot in a hard, steely colour palette, it looks - intentionally - like a comic at times.

The cast are fine, but the acting is very much of the 90210/One Tree Hill graduate kind - such as you get in almost all North American horror nowadays; all tilted heads and meaningful glances and shouting.

I really do recommend this though. It's a very pleasant surprise with some intelligence behind it and a boss monster.
Old 16th January 2012, 08:19 AM
Cult Rookie

Just watched the Shawshank redeption which I have been meaning to watch for years. Really loved it, it definitely deserves its status as a classic.
sawyer6 and Lyrical like this.
Old 16th January 2012, 10:10 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
A truly disturbing movie. A great example for the fact that a movie has not to be funny or entertaining in order to be a great watching experience. Anybody who isn't afflicted by this movie should see a doctor immediately.

Greetings!

Like this? Share it using the links below!