Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th January 2012, 10:20 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Watched The Man With The Severed Head and was a bit disappointed.Good idea but they didn't use it very cleverly and Paul Naschy's role was insignificant with only 10-15 minuted screen time.Then went for something completely different with Mike Leigh's Topsy Turvy,very good performamces by all,especially Jim Broadbent
Old 18th January 2012, 10:49 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
I haven't seen Suicide Club yet but did really enjoy Exte. The thing I loved about Cold Fish was the very repetitiveness that has been pointed up as a flaw in some quarters. Sono really takes his time in establishing this characters hellish existence - he's like one of his fishes forever swimming round and round and getting nowhere - that when the inevitable disintegration happens, however OTT and hideous the consequences it does feel like a blessed release - for him and us. Only certain Asian films (and possibly French) make you feel this uncomfortable!
My only grumble with the movie was the two female characters who appeared to be projections of male fantasy as opposed to real people - again though, maybe this was the point as the whole movie is seen through the titular characters eyes and as we see he has a pretty screwed up psyche.
Good points about 'Cold Fish' - I'll have to give it another go, but I've got to get through 'Guilty of Romance' first!
Old 18th January 2012, 11:22 AM
Seasoned Cultist

If you get the chance go to horror movies.ca and check out door number 8 trailer, absolutely mental.....let me know what you think! cant put link due to not enough posts yet. enjoy
Old 18th January 2012, 01:55 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
I haven't seen Suicide Club yet but did really enjoy Exte. The thing I loved about Cold Fish was the very repetitiveness that has been pointed up as a flaw in some quarters. Sono really takes his time in establishing this characters hellish existence - he's like one of his fishes forever swimming round and round and getting nowhere - that when the inevitable disintegration happens, however OTT and hideous the consequences it does feel like a blessed release - for him and us. Only certain Asian films (and possibly French) make you feel this uncomfortable!
My only grumble with the movie was the two female characters who appeared to be projections of male fantasy as opposed to real people - again though, maybe this was the point as the whole movie is seen through the titular characters eyes and as we see he has a pretty screwed up psyche.
not seen cold fish, suicde club is brilliant, and anyone who enjoys it should check out norikos dinner table which is a sequel. I also loved exte and I own love exposure just havent seen it yet, the four hour running time is putting me off a little.
Old 18th January 2012, 02:12 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
The glory of The Trachtenberg would have shone through one way or another!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post

Greetings!
Ha, ha - it worked.
Gojirosan and Prince_Vajda like this.
Old 18th January 2012, 04:09 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

watched the remake of Fright Night last night and i have to say i really enjoyed it, it was funny, well shot and had a great performance from both Colin Farrell and David Tenant. It also had this 80s movie vibe about it but like most modern movies suffered from using CGI when Make up would have been better.
Old 18th January 2012, 09:44 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Tucker and Dale vs Evil. This is one of the very few films that I'd call an instant classic. Great characters, good acting, (really!) funny jokes, and a wonderful pace. I'm still rolling on the floor laughing and holding my sides.

If you like slasher / backwood / splatter films and if you're looking for a highly entertaining spoof - bingo. This is one of the best black romantic comedies of the past twenty years.

Highly recommended!

Greetings!

PS: The Blu-ray is only 1080i, but it looks pretty good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tucker_dale_vs_evil-2.jpg (62.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg katrina-bowden-tucker-dale-11-e1297634238614.jpg (55.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg tucker_dale.jpg (35.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg TuckerDaleEvil04.jpg (79.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Tucker-Dale-vs_-Evil.jpg (55.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 18th January 2012, 10:35 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011 remake)

Is it a good film? Yes. Is it a very good film? No. It's a disappointing experience. As ever, I reckon that David Fincher thinks he is a much better film-maker than he actually is...the clangy Trent Reznor-by-numbers soundtrack is intrusive and unsuitable...Daniel Craig is not bad, but still Daniel Craig doing his one character...Rooney Mara gives a cardboard Noomi Rapace impression rather than a performance...Christopher Plummer is fantastic...lots of thematic under-development despite the hefty running time...characters are badly drawn cut-outs...worst of all, cinematography is appalling, when will Fincher and associates realise that that grey, under-lit style is dreary and distracting?

Would I recommend it? I wouldn't recommend paying cinema prices to see it, but it's worth a rental when it's released.
Old 19th January 2012, 11:06 AM
Active Cultist

Watched Tenebrae twice over the past 24 hours - second with the Newman/Jones commentary. Firstly - what was the deal with all this foaming at the mouth over Arrows blu ray? Looks fine to me, 2 commentaries and loads of other stuff - currently 8.99 - if you're swithering just get it and ignore all the screen shot fetishists. Movie is totally ludicrous but highly enjoyable - the commentary was a great accompaniment - these guys love the film but aren't slow to point out each absurdity. That's the key to enjoying Argento I think - throw logic out the window, forget it, and just enjoy the ride. I do wish Alan Jones would stop going on about himself though - you're Dario's close mate, you've visited every set, you've written the definitive book - I GET IT, please stick to talking about the movie.
PaulD and keirarts like this.
Old 19th January 2012, 01:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

watched Footprints
and
Night Train Murders
whilst recuperating from a broken bone in me foot.

FOTM was quite odd, though it missed a trick being practically without music.

NTM though, sheesh havent had to have a good wash after a film since Srpski easily goes into my top 1000 films of alltime if only for the unusual use of a flicknife!! Harumph!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!