Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179476Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2012, 10:54 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Rewatched Ralph Bakshi's Cool World,mediocre film by the great Bakshi but consider it wasn't his original vision and the studio threatened him to do it.I also watched Left Bank,great atmosphere similar to Polanski's films very good editing and camera angles!
Old 6th February 2012, 11:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Nothing wrong with Michael Cera. His performance in Arrested Development (for three years no less) is an absolute masterclass in awkward, hormonal anxiety.

Great stuff.
Old 6th February 2012, 11:26 AM
Cult Rookie

red state.Was a massive let down in my opinion.Also dead heads,which i found hilarious.not really a horror movie,but it was alot of fun.
Old 6th February 2012, 11:36 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
Nothing wrong with Michael Cera. His performance in Arrested Development (for three years no less) is an absolute masterclass in awkward, hormonal anxiety.

Great stuff.
I quite agree, but it seems in every film, from Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist to Youth in Revolt, he's just being George Michael again, but with slightly different looks and mannerisms.

He probably doesn't want to derail the gravy train but, as he gets older, it would be good to see him expand beyond the 'lovable loser' roles, perhaps tackling serious drama or even do some more action-comedy films Like Scott Pilgrim vs The World.
Old 6th February 2012, 11:57 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcarnage View Post
red state.Was a massive let down in my opinion.Also dead heads,which i found hilarious.not really a horror movie,but it was alot of fun.
must ask why you thought RS was a letdown? easily one of the films of last year IMO. unless you were fooled by the trailer (as i was admittedly) into thinking twas a "horror" film.

AAnyway...watched Galaxy Of Terror, corman's Alien ripoff. what a hoot! all i remembered from the original rental was a nasty bit with a knife, which still lived up to it. but tis a cracking little film, fastpaced and not short on claret etc....film of the week!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th February 2012, 12:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

Tin Tin, missed this first time around at cinema but managed to catch it at the Kids Club with my son. I hated the cartoons as a kid, but loved the film, brilliantly written and well directed. 4/5

The Grey, Neeson vs Wolves = pretty good. I've loved Neeson's last few movies and this one was well worth a watch. 4/5

The Descendants, Clooney does a great job in the latest film by Alexander Payne. A well written film with some great moments. Think Clooney will walk with the Oscar! 4/5
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com
Old 6th February 2012, 01:19 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Castle of the Living Dead (1964) - Christopher Lee is the enigmatic Count Drago who invites a small circus troupe to his castle to perform for him. But he has sinister intentions. It's pretty goofy this slice of Euro-horror, but I found it a fun little film. Donald Sutherland plays more than one role and is really good value and Lee plays Drago in a suitably offbeat, detached way. I really quite enjoyed this one. I've always wanted to see it since reading about it in Alan Frank's Monsters and Vampires book some 30-odd years ago! The final revelation is quite creepy though, I must say.

Final Destination 5 (2011) - Another tired retread in this series that ran out of steam several films back. This also serves as a kind of prequel as well, which is a nice twist, but nothing special. Overall it's a bit boring and brings nothing new to the table. I hope they either stop with this one or deliver something truly original to reboot the franchise.

Phenomena (1984) - I picked up the Arrow Blu-ray recently, so I thought I'd give it a watch. It's never been one of my favourite Argento movies, but it's been so long since I last saw it I thought I'd give it another go. I did find it a bit better on this rewatch, but that awful score of heavy metal really gets on my nerves. Simonetti and Wyman both put in good turns though. Still not upper tier Argento (IMO), but it's not bad. The HD transfer from Arrow is exceptional though, absolutely terrific.

Final Destination 2 (2003) - Probably the best in the series and my favourite, so I grabbed the BD cheap from Amazon. The opening car crash mayhem still takes my breath away and the BD transfer makes it all the more breathtaking, it looks and sounds amazing. The story is a bit of a rehash of the original: girl gets premonition of bad accident and saves a handful of people, only to have death coming back to reclaim them one-by-one. But it's done with such style and flair that it easily outdoes the original IMO.

Out For Justice (1991) - Steven Seagal is tough cop Gino and when Richie (William Forsythe), a local mobster, goes psycho and goes on a killing spree, it's up to Gino to stop him. It's action from start-to-finish and easily Seagal's best film to date. The Blu-ray from Warners is an absolute revelation. There's so much picture detail it hurt my eyes! Seriously, this is one of the best BDs I've seen yet, the old DVDs pale in comparison. I can't recommend this Blu-ray enough, especially if you're a fan of action or Seagal movies.

Horrible Bosses (2011) - Three friends each have horrible bosses and plan a way to kill them. That's about it. It's not very good and certanly not funny. The only one really giving it his all is Colin Farrell, who surprised me at being such a sport to be made up to look like he did.

Last edited by Daemonia; 6th February 2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 6th February 2012, 01:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
must ask why you thought RS was a letdown? easily one of the films of last year IMO. unless you were fooled by the trailer (as i was admittedly) into thinking twas a "horror" film.

AAnyway...watched Galaxy Of Terror, corman's Alien ripoff. what a hoot! all i remembered from the original rental was a nasty bit with a knife, which still lived up to it. but tis a cracking little film, fastpaced and not short on claret etc....film of the week!
also saw Melancholia wow, michty etc. the more i thought about it, the more i liked it, LVT aint everyone's tipple but when he does this, kudos! retroactively film of 2010.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th February 2012, 02:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Castle of the Living Dead (1964) - Christopher Lee is the enigmatic Count Drago who invites a small circus troupe to his castle to perform for him. But he has sinister intentions. It's pretty goofy this slice of Euro-horror, but I found it a fun little film. Donald Sutherland plays more than one role and is really good value and Lee plays Drago in a suitably offbeat, detached way. I really quite enjoyed this one. I've always wanted to see it since reading about it in Alan Frank's Monsters and Vampires book some 30-odd years ago! The final revelation is quite creepy though, I must say.

Final Destination 5 (2011) - Another tired retread in this series that ran out of steam several films back. This also serves as a kind of prequel as well, which is a nice twist, but nothing special. Overall it's a bit boring and brings nothing new to the table. I hope they either stop with this one or deliver something truly original to reboot the franchise.

Phenomena (1984) - I picked up the Arrow Blu-ray recently, so I thought I'd give it a watch. It's never been one of my favourite Argento movies, but it's been so long since I last saw it I thought I'd give it another go. I did find it a bit better on this rewatch, but that awful score of heavy metal really gets on my nerves. Simonetti and Wyman both put in good turns though. Still not upper tier Argento (IMO), but it's not bad. The HD transfer from Arrow is exceptional though, absolutely terrific.

Final Destination 2 (2003) - Probably the best in the series and my favourite, so I grabbed the BD cheap from Amazon. The opening car crash mayhem still takes my breath away and the BD transfer makes it all the more breathtaking, it looks and sounds amazing. The story is a bit of a rehash of the original: girl gets premonition of bad accident and saves a handful of people, only to have death coming back to reclaim them one-by-one. But it's done with such style and flair that it easily outdoes the original IMO.

Out For Justice (1991) - Steven Seagal is tough cop Gino and when Richie (William Forsythe), a local mobster, goes psycho and goes on a killing spree, it's up to Gino to stop him. It's action from start-to-finish and easily Seagal's best film to date. The Blu-ray from Warners is an absolute revelation. There's so much picture detail it hurt my eyes! Seriously, this is one of the best BDs I've seen yet, the old DVDs pale in comparison. I can't recommend this Blu-ray enough, especially if you're a fan of action or Seagal movies.

Horrible Bosses (2011) - Three friends each have horrible bosses and plan a way to kill them. That's about it. It's not very good and certanly not funny. The only one really giving it his all is Colin Farrell, who surprised me at being such a sport to be made up to look like he did.
Final destination 5 i quite enjoyed this saw it in 3d also didnt exactly see the ending coming and in a sense it ties all the films together so realy cant see them carrying on .......Think 3rd is the worst still watchable but no where near as good as the others....
Old 6th February 2012, 02:15 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I also saw this at weekend, very enjoyable with a quality print.

Sutherland as the witch is almost hilarious.

Like this? Share it using the links below!