Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th February 2009, 01:21 PM
Cultist

Saw Uwe Boll's 'Seed' yesterday. It was, thankfully, a rental rather than a purchase.

I'm not someone who would bash Uwe Boll for the sake of it. I haven't seen many of his films before (House of the Dead) and so went into this without prejudice.

Seed is terrible. Almost everything about the film is shockingly poor. It's poorly written, poorly directed, looks cheap (despite an apparent $10m budget!) and, even at 85 minutes, is far too long. Every scene is just much longer than it could possibly be whilst being even remotely interesting.

Much was made of the animal cruelty footage included at the beginning. The idea was apparentlyto illustrate the cruelty of man. In fact, this observation, that people can be cruel, is all the film has. No comment, no exploration, nothing. Just an illustration of cruelty. Done badly. For an hour and a half.

If anyone is curious about the 'hammer scene' that much has been made of, it's dreadful. The CG is beyond poor and the sound design is so bad that I actually thought I was playing a game. I'd hit the reset button on my Playstation six times before I remembered that I was watching a film. I still kept pressing it, just in case, but it didn't work.

This really is the worst horror film I've seen in quite some time. Wish I'd rented Road Kill 2 instead.

Also had my F13 3-D DVD arrive but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Looking forward to it.
Old 9th February 2009, 05:07 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Rocknrolla-don't waste 100 minutes of your life on this,a better and more brutal film is THE CREW....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 9th February 2009, 05:11 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Rocknrolla-don't waste 100 minutes of your life on this,a better and more brutal film is THE CREW....
I hate that film too Reaps. Cant believe I saw that in the bloody cinema either!!! Grr! Just ordered Chopper Chicks In Zombie Town for £1.99! (not including P & P ) WAHOO!
Old 9th February 2009, 05:12 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Ritchie's dropped the ball mate.I doubt if he'll ever reach the same entertainment levels that Lock Stock and Snatch provided...

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 9th February 2009, 10:20 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Just been watching the first 20 minutes of PIECES on the Grindhouse SE.Fantastic pic quality,with the added bonus of watching the soundtrack recorded with a live cinema audience! The definitive release!Although it would look good in a yellow box Almar.....

Old 10th February 2009, 10:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I just watched the BU dvd of Polsellis Delirium, one of the strangest giallos i've seen.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 10th February 2009, 10:42 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
I just watched the BU dvd of Polsellis Delirium, one of the strangest giallos i've seen.
Have you never seen the likes of Giallo a Venezia, Play Motel, Girl In Room 2A, Fatal Frames, Autopsy, Photo Of Gioia, French Sex Murders, Five Dolls For An August Moon, The Gore Gore Girls, The Night Evelyn Came Out Of The Grave and Eyeball etc? They're way more 'out there' than Delirium in my opinion.
Old 10th February 2009, 10:45 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
Have you never seen the likes of Giallo a Venezia, Play Motel, Girl In Room 2A, Fatal Frames, Autopsy, Photo Of Gioia, French Sex Murders, Five Dolls For An August Moon, The Gore Gore Girls, The Night Evelyn Came Out Of The Grave and Eyeball etc? They're way more 'out there' than Delirium in my opinion.
I have seen Five Dolls ( good ) and Photos of Gioa ( a load of shit ) and i my opinion Delirium is more 'out there' than those two . I have two dvd editions of the Gore Gore Girls and i really cant be arsed watching it.

Last edited by Pete; 10th February 2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10th February 2009, 11:14 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I definitely disagree with you there, absolutely no way is it more bizarre than Five Dolls, I think Bava nailed it with that film, especially the freezer sequences. And enough of that, Photo Of Gioia is great fun though funnily enough you're not the first person I've seen who dislikes it. '80s Giallos take a lot of unfair criticism in my opinion. Last time I checked though, Mickey Hargitay didn't see his victims as bugs before killing them in Delirium .

The Gore Gore Girls is a brilliant film and in my opinion is the best thing Herschell Gordon Lewis has ever filmed. Methinks you need to put it a bit closer to the top of the pile. The gore sequences in there are some of his best work, just don't drink milk whilst watching it... you'll understand when you see it .

You really need to check out some of those films I listed, though some such as Girl In Room 2A and Play Motel are quite rare, so happy hunting!
Old 10th February 2009, 11:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
I definitely disagree with you there, absolutely no way is it more bizarre than Five Dolls, I think Bava nailed it with that film, especially the freezer sequences. And enough of that, Photo Of Gioia is great fun though funnily enough you're not the first person I've seen who dislikes it. '80s Giallos take a lot of unfair criticism in my opinion. Last time I checked though, Mickey Hargitay didn't see his victims as bugs before killing them in Delirium .

The Gore Gore Girls is a brilliant film and in my opinion is the best thing Herschell Gordon Lewis has ever filmed. Methinks you need to put it a bit closer to the top of the pile. The gore sequences in there are some of his best work, just don't drink milk whilst watching it... you'll understand when you see it .

You really need to check out some of those films I listed, though some such as Girl In Room 2A and Play Motel are quite rare, so happy hunting!

Autopsy, Giallo a Venzia and Night Evelyn Came out the grave have been on my wish list for a while, i just never got round to buying them. As for the Gore Gore Girls, its at the bottom of a plie of almost 100 films i havent watched yet so chances of me watching it are slim.

Like this? Share it using the links below!