All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th February 2012, 12:57 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
about to sit down and watch paranormal activity 3. Not holding out much hope of it being good buts its cost me nowt to rent it from work!
Me and my son watched this other night bored us both sensless dull slow boring and thats at its best so no dont hold out to much hope...done get me wrong it isnt shite just not up to much,

Also watched Final Destination 5 again saw this in 3d at pics higlhy enjoyed think its one of the better ones even tho i enjoyed them apart from 3 wasnt that keen on but still pretty decent ...liked the twist at the end ..

Im working away in Ireland this week and on way over on ferry saw Johny english reborn, so so just sometimes i think the humour etc goes a bit of scale or ott and doesnt become funny ands up being plain stupid but it was ok..
Old 20th February 2012, 08:00 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
trying to sum my thoughts up about the film, well here goes.....

Ok, from a plot point paranormal activity 3 is pretty stupid. For those unfamiliar with the movies the series is going back in time, revealing more and more background to the events in the first film. So we are basically supposed to believe that all these events (which I wont go into detail with to avoid major spoilers) were somehow forgotten or at least dismissed by the central character of the first movie, and worse yet theres a wealth of vhs and digital evidence clearly supporting the characters claims of being 'haunted' and more yet none of it is referred to at all. In terms of plot and continuity and logic I suspect the filmmakers are making this s**t up as they go along!

That was my main issue with it, although having watched the first 2 again before seeing the 3rd there were a few references to things picked up on in the3rd film (like the videotapes and stuff). Still, the impression in the first films is that something did happen in their childhood but not on the scale you see in the 3rd film. And the house still didn't burn down! (other than in the trailer)

There's a 4th one on the way so I guess there'll either be more answers or more questions. Rumours that the whole film is another prequel and takes place in the form of found-footage ultrasound scans of the 2 sisters is currently unfounded.
keirarts likes this.
Old 20th February 2012, 08:15 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
*Damn - double post, and I can't see any way of removing the original. Damn you, Sunday afternoon Vodka!
I've deleted the first post - it had nothing to do with your Sunday afternoon vodka!
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 20th February 2012, 10:46 AM
Cultist

Machete (2010)

*** out of ****

UPDATED WEEKLY
Old 20th February 2012, 11:09 AM
Cultist

Send a message via AIM to snipsmovies Send a message via MSN to snipsmovies Send a message via Yahoo to snipsmovies

Woah ... I've not finished watching it yet, but so far ADAM CHAPLIN is just mental ! Its a mix of Japanese splatter-gore and live-action anime... yet its Italian. It came out today via Scanbox, and its on Amazon for just over a fiver. Its not perfect, but man, it woke me up this morning.
Old 20th February 2012, 11:13 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

The Artist 5/5
Loved the movie and very much worth the awards and praise it has been getting, a beautiful piece of work with fantastic performances. Catch it while you still can.

The Woman in Black 3/5
I really wanted to love this but at the end was disappointed. It had it's moments but I think suffered due to the 12A rating and some weak effects. I liked Daniel Radcliffe in it, but I think the rating was lowered so the Potter audience could get in to see it.
sawyer6 likes this.
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com
Old 20th February 2012, 11:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthelvis View Post
The Artist 5/5
Loved the movie and very much worth the awards and praise it has been getting, a beautiful piece of work with fantastic performances. Catch it while you still can.

The Woman in Black 3/5
I really wanted to love this but at the end was disappointed. It had it's moments but I think suffered due to the 12A rating and some weak effects. I liked Daniel Radcliffe in it, but I think the rating was lowered so the Potter audience could get in to see it.
also admired The Artist greatly, echoes of Hitch, Lynch, Argento even IMO.
Also watched Maximum Overdrive...it hasnt aged well....at all....and was cut as far as i could see...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th February 2012, 12:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
"Dagon" is shite and has as much to do with Lovecraft as my arse.
"The Call of Cthulhlu" is the Lovecraft film to watch.
Thank You.
The love for Dagon on this site just befuddles me.
greatest Lovecraft story turned into a comedy maybe......

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th February 2012, 05:30 PM
Cult Addict

went to see chronicle. Actually better than I expected, plenty of cliche as anyone will guess the character arcs in the film but certainly a lot more entertaining than I thought it would be. Wisely never explains the cause of the teens power, its just some glowing thing they find in the ground that gives them telekenetic powers and the final 3rd act telekentic rampage is highly entertaining. Not sure if it needed to be a found footage movie though.

And in defence of dagon, sure lovecraft would have hated it, he would have hated the stuff made by the lovecraft historical society as well. Lovecraft despised the medium of film and in all fairness the style of his storytelling, relying on implication and suggestion are not at all suited to the medium. That said Dagon takes the material and creates a very entertaing slice of horror cinema. Could I have lived without the gore? certainly but then that was always more a commercial consideration. Its also worth noting dennis paoli, stuart gordons long time collaborator on his lovecraft projects did his masters thesis on lovecrafts fiction!
Old 20th February 2012, 06:35 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
went to see chronicle. Actually better than I expected, plenty of cliche as anyone will guess the character arcs in the film but certainly a lot more entertaining than I thought it would be. Wisely never explains the cause of the teens power, its just some glowing thing they find in the ground that gives them telekenetic powers and the final 3rd act telekentic rampage is highly entertaining. Not sure if it needed to be a found footage movie though.

And in defence of dagon, sure lovecraft would have hated it, he would have hated the stuff made by the lovecraft historical society as well. Lovecraft despised the medium of film and in all fairness the style of his storytelling, relying on implication and suggestion are not at all suited to the medium. That said Dagon takes the material and creates a very entertaing slice of horror cinema. Could I have lived without the gore? certainly but then that was always more a commercial consideration. Its also worth noting dennis paoli, stuart gordons long time collaborator on his lovecraft projects did his masters thesis on lovecrafts fiction!
That's the thing that really pisses me off about Gordon et al, they have a genuine passion for Lovecraft but due to commercial pressures, budget etc they just mangle the man's work. Yet at the same time I appreciate the blatant exploitation of the Lovecraft name to make a few bucks. In my opinion outside of CoC, the best Lovecraft films are the ones that don't attempt tell his stories but rather take themes and ideas to create something informed of his work yet also outside it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!