Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th February 2012, 08:28 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
When we went to see Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, there were several babies crying and young children running around. My dad complained to the manager basically saying that if they were teenagers talking, they would have been thrown out. He was given an apology, a voucher for a free screening and was told to report such behaviour again and the parents would be asked to take their children outside.
SOLD! I have a full proof plan to get unlimited free entrance!

DVD and BD collection
Old 25th February 2012, 08:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I take my boys to the cinema all the time, ones 4 and the other is 8, they know that if they mess about or ruin the film for me or others then I won't take them again, I guess its how you raise your kids because it pisses me off when parents let their kids run riot
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 25th February 2012, 09:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

A Company of Wolves.....strange one this is. I did enjoy it but can't decide wheather it was good or not
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Old 25th February 2012, 09:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just finished watching Mesrine. never heard of him or the film before few people on here mentioned it...was on one of the sky channels recently so recorded and watched it highly enjoyed it very good films (say films cos its in 2 parts)
Old 25th February 2012, 10:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just finished watching Stalker, the directorial debut of Martin Kemp. I enjoyed it, although it starts off a little slow it turns into a decent enough thriller, plus it was good to see 70's starlet Linda Hayden, thankfully fully clothed I must add!
7/10
Stalker-IMDb
keirarts likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 26th February 2012, 12:48 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE UNDERTAKER - Hmm, when a film fails to reach the dizzily disjointed heights of 'The Last Slumber Party' does it actually then somehow succeed on some level? You be the judge. Bad edits and 80s inanity prevail. Workout video out-takes vie with random exerpts from 'The Corpse Vanishes' for some kind of pointlessness award. Necrophilia features, but not really. Despite all this bollocks, I needed it to be even more bizarre. Joe Spinell might've been served a better swansong. But still I have to say I liked it, especially the bad metal at the beginning.
WILLARD - Really liked it, although have to admit my pro- Crispin Glover bias may have coloured my outlook a bit. Whatever, animals on the rampage always do it for me, and this one seems fairly audacious in throwing some psychosocial dynamics at the rat murder horde formula. Nice vaguely Burtonesque look and feel. Glover does a number on 'Ben' which is quite good.
MANHUNTER - Has always creeped me out because of the respective intensities of Petersen and Noonan, the alienating sheen of the 80s in retrospect and just the constant atmosphere of looming dread. Much more potent than 'Red Dragon', a more conventional take on the same source material. Whenever I think of this film I hear a low, pulsating synth drone in my mind's ear.
ANDROID OF NOTRE DAME - I'm always in favour of weird Japanese splatter and this is no exception. Not the harshest 'Guinea Pig' but certainly strange and gross enough for many tastes, with its random bursts of surgery, reanimated puke-head and arbitrarily dwarfish scientist obsessive. The cruelty is blackly comic and ends with some 'floating in the mists of time' style metaphysical shiiiit, sort of. Two severed thumbs up and a dead man's knob.
Old 26th February 2012, 06:37 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
THE UNDERTAKER - Hmm, when a film fails to reach the dizzily disjointed heights of 'The Last Slumber Party' does it actually then somehow succeed on some level? You be the judge. Bad edits and 80s inanity prevail. Workout video out-takes vie with random exerpts from 'The Corpse Vanishes' for some kind of pointlessness award. Necrophilia features, but not really. Despite all this bollocks, I needed it to be even more bizarre. Joe Spinell might've been served a better swansong. But still I have to say I liked it, especially the bad metal at the beginning.
WILLARD - Really liked it, although have to admit my pro- Crispin Glover bias may have coloured my outlook a bit. Whatever, animals on the rampage always do it for me, and this one seems fairly audacious in throwing some psychosocial dynamics at the rat murder horde formula. Nice vaguely Burtonesque look and feel. Glover does a number on 'Ben' which is quite good.
MANHUNTER - Has always creeped me out because of the respective intensities of Petersen and Noonan, the alienating sheen of the 80s in retrospect and just the constant atmosphere of looming dread. Much more potent than 'Red Dragon', a more conventional take on the same source material. Whenever I think of this film I hear a low, pulsating synth drone in my mind's ear.
ANDROID OF NOTRE DAME - I'm always in favour of weird Japanese splatter and this is no exception. Not the harshest 'Guinea Pig' but certainly strange and gross enough for many tastes, with its random bursts of surgery, reanimated puke-head and arbitrarily dwarfish scientist obsessive. The cruelty is blackly comic and ends with some 'floating in the mists of time' style metaphysical shiiiit, sort of. Two severed thumbs up and a dead man's knob.
Wow, another "The Last Slumber Party" fan. It's one of my favourite pieces of wonky cinema.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 26th February 2012, 08:50 AM
Cult Addict

In time.

Decided to give this one a try for three reasons.

1.Because of social network and southland tales i've actually started warming to timberlake as an actor

2. Amanda seyfried. Gaddman she's hot!

3. Directed by andrew niccol. (i still believe gattaca deserves a critical reappraisal)

Turns out this is a pretty decent and surprisingly left wing movie for an american big budget movie. Time is traded as currency, and since if you run out you die its even more sought after than cash ever was. After his mother dies and he lucks out on over a hundred years of time timberlakes character decides to bring thesystem down and goe on the lam with a rich girls daughter stealing time and re-distributing it to the poor. Overall it was a refreshingly DIFFERENT kind of sci-fi to the junk thats been coming out lately and certainlyworth checking out. Great cinematography as well and it looks fantastic on blu-ray.
Old 26th February 2012, 11:23 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I take my boys to the cinema all the time, ones 4 and the other is 8, they know that if they mess about or ruin the film for me or others then I won't take them again, I guess its how you raise your kids because it pisses me off when parents let their kids run riot
That's responsible parenting - if only everyone was like you, trips to the cinema during school holidays wouldn't be such a nightmare.

It must make times when there are children the same age as your lads, who are talking and running about the place, all the more infuriating if you're sitting there thinking 'If mine can sit here silently and enjoy the film, why can't yours?'.

When I was young and went to the cinema with my parents (and, occasionally, my Nana), my brother and I always treated the cinema with reverence, as it was a trip out and something to be cherished. They always ensured we went to the toilet beforehand and sat quietly throughout, making the most of the treat.

It seems a lot of children don't see the cinema in the same way nowadays and just an extension of their living room.
Old 26th February 2012, 11:52 AM
Cult Rookie

The Artist

Ugh, the novelty wore off pretty quickly for me. It was definitely a very cleverly executed pastiche but I didn't find it funny and I thought the themes of the evolution of society/cinema were too obvious to be moving. A 3 star film at best I thought but no doubt it's going to clear up tonight at the Oscars.

Like this? Share it using the links below!