All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th March 2012, 06:19 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I also watched Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

Absolutely brilliant, anyone who enjoys outdoors / backwoods horror films should love it.

The best film i have seen this year.
Old 18th March 2012, 07:48 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post

Absolutely brilliant, anyone who enjoys outdoors / backwoods horror films should love it.

That film is a joy to watch such a great idea funny as hell and great gore also. Really gotta pick up the blu ray of this gem.
DryJack likes this.
Old 18th March 2012, 09:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post

Its great!
I look forward to more from the director!

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 18th March 2012, 10:07 PM
Cultist

The Witch (1966)

A little bit too plodding, I think a bit of nipping and tucking here and there would have benefited this film greatly.

Richard Johnson
1. Deadlier Than The Male (1967)
2. The Haunting (1963)
3. Some Girls Do (1969)
4. Operation Crossbow (1965)
**5. The Witch (1966) NE**
6. A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square (1979)
Old 18th March 2012, 10:30 PM
Cultist

Had a Tarantino themed weekend. Planet Terror, From Dusk Till Dawn and Kill Bill 1 and 2. Apart from the fact that Norwich got beaten by Newcastle it was a perfect weekend.
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 18th March 2012, 11:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
RED STATE. I enjoyed this a lot though I could have done without the comedy ending which frankly ruined it for me.

CHANBARA STRIPTEASE. Bleeding dreadful, however it does have a woman blocking a sword blade with her naked breasts and firing a sword from her cleavage, other than that, utter tosh.

HELLSING. Okayish anime about the British Government's fight against vampires.

PIRANHA 3D. Having not enjoyed this first time watching it, I thought I'd give it another go. Fun and undemanding.

CARNIVAL OF BLOOD. Like some hellish cross between H.G. Lewis and Andy Milligan with a few female escapees from an early John Water's film. This both irritated the shit out of me and hypnotised me with it's incessant scenes of talking that by the end, my mind most certainly wasn't in the same place as it was at the beginning. Nice fuzzed up psyche soundtrack with the odd forlorn folk song chucked in for good measure.
Nice to see CARNIVAL... get a mention. Although not a favourite of mine by a long stretch, it does contain some mind melting badness and some slightly surprising gore, but the endless repetition of square sixties couples talking tended to tip more towards the 'irritating the shit out of' rather than the 'hypnotic/mesmerising' end of the scale for me. Still, there's some worthwhile weirdness to be had. Not as hard going as Andy Milligan, I reckon. Actually, it comes way second in the tedium stakes compared with its neighbour on that 'Something Weird' disc, 'The Headless Horseman'... never even managed to finish that one!
Old 18th March 2012, 11:29 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Nice to see CARNIVAL... get a mention. Although not a favourite of mine by a long stretch, it does contain some mind melting badness and some slightly surprising gore, but it's a shame the tedious bits tend not to be of the 'mesmerising' kind, IMO (if that makes any sense). Seem to recall a lot of square sixties couples talking... endlessly. Still, there's some worthwhile weirdness to be had. Not as hard going as Andy Milligan, I reckon. Actually, it comes way second in the tedium stakes compared with its neighbour on that 'Something Weird' disc, 'The Headless Horseman'... never even managed to finish that one!
I've yet to see "The Headless Horseman". I love "mesmerising" tedium in films, I have a theory that it's a short cut to spiritual illumination!
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 19th March 2012, 07:07 AM
Cult Addict

WARRIOR.

Contains almost every cliche' you could imagine. Blue collar mill town...check. Alcohol and drug issues....check.... underdogs triumphing over adversity...check. The film is great however as the director seems to have the smarts to realise how unorigional the film is and simply play up to it creating a very entertaining melodrama. Still not as good as Rocky though!

Kudos to nick nolte for a supurb performance!
Old 19th March 2012, 10:54 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
CHANBARA STRIPTEASE. Bleeding dreadful, however it does have a woman blocking a sword blade with her naked breasts and firing a sword from her cleavage, other than that, utter tosh.
Damn it!

Oh well...
Old 19th March 2012, 11:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Right then....

I SAW THE DEVIL ...Watched the Korean version this time (with the rape etc) still a powerful piece of cinema, showing as it does that revenge is a poisoned chalice indeed. Unlike the god awful Raw Deal which was on at the same time on ITV.....

The Haunted Palace...if by "based on..." you mean mentioning 3 aspects of the original story....Still great to see Vinnie wander round another creepy mansion though, something i did a lot of this weekend as i also watched.....

The Abominable Dr Phibes (Robert Fuest) It's been years since i saw this, still a camp delight embellished by Brian Eatwell's sumptious set design!! which spurred me onto to clock.....

Dr Phibes Rises Again (Robert Fuest) Yep, Ol'Anton is back baby, this time fighting an archeaologist (Robert Quarry!!) for the key to eternal life, i've always noticed that this is unfairly slated in comparison with TADP, feck that, any film where John Thaw is torn asunder by an eagle is alright in my book....

FISH STORY...If you only watch one "apocalyptic" film this year make sure it's this one!! A bizarre blend of genres coalesce into a satisfying denoument (especially for me) Highly Recommended!!!

Frostbiter: Wrath of The Wendigo AAAnd if you see one godawful Evil Dead clone this year make sure it's this (and nae Cabin in the Woods ) high grade cheese, which was exactly the same tosh as when i saw it in the 80s, featuring the best "worst" dialogue since Avatar (but far more entertaining than that kids film) Remake THIS mofos!! Ahem

Angst Now this had an added frisson of delight for me as this is the German film that preempted Peep Show's use of subjective camera angles (and the protagonist has a slight swipe of R Webb if you squint haha). Proving that serial killers are inept, if dangerous individuals i felt on more than one occasion that this would tip over into unintentional comedy, but never did (..just). I also felt that the use of sound in this film was one of it's highlights (drip, drip, drip.....) and it contains one particularily nasty scene, so it goes into the Recommended pile by default....

Hey, nearly done.....

DEATHDREAM (aka Dead Of Night, Bob Clark, 1972) Why haven't i seen this before?? I probably don't need to recap this plot for most on this site, but wow quite one of the greatest "vietnam" films i've EVER seen all held together with a near autistic performance by Richard Backus, will enjoy showing this in particular to civillians (nae pun intended)

Doctor Mordrid Jeffrey Combs. nuff said.

All in all, an exciting buncha stuff. highs and lows. signs and portents. more to come.........

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!