Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th May 2012, 08:11 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Just finished apocalypse now, I don't get it! Everyone I talk to says hoe amazing this film is but I found it very average and 1 hour too long.

I suppose I should just put it on my list of films that others think I'm mad for not liking, this list includes withnail and i, 2001 a space Odyssey and this is spinal tap.

While I love this movie, I can perfectly understand someone not enjoying it, because it's slow and rather odd for a "war" film.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 18th May 2012, 08:27 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
While I love this movie, I can perfectly understand someone not enjoying it, because it's slow and rather odd for a "war" film.
I guess the same would apply to Terrence Malick's superlative The Thin Red Line, a film I think is a masterpiece and superior in almost every department to Saving Private Ryan, which won at the Oscars and tends to get the popular vote.

It's probably a polarising film, a little like Apocalypse Now, which Roger Ebert has just listed in his top 10 greatest films of all time.
Old 18th May 2012, 09:19 AM
Cultist

I recently purchased the Chuck Russell "Blob" remake (for old times sake). Still holds up pretty well and the blob effects are fun (although Kevin Dillon's hair is horrific!). I bought the European release as it was a lot cheaper and the blurb on the back describes the blob as a "kwabbige moordpudding" which apparantly means "flabby murder pudding". Ha.
Old 18th May 2012, 09:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Vertigo boring?? I must have been watching a different film then. It's his sickest film bar none, just think about it......

AAnyway, since my Attack Of The Herbals still hasn't turned up, i showed someone else God Bless America, and it keeps getting funnier every time i see it.

May watch Alyce (came from Poundland) later.
Alyce was well worth it for a £!! some waffle at beginning leads to an old school finish (and i don't mean Ronseal)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th May 2012, 03:36 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Orca - I faintly remember seeing this back in the very early days of video rental and seeing a silly, throwaway Jaws rip-off. Over the subsequent years I have read the critical slaughtering the film has had and seen the contempt in which it is held.

However, I am addicted to "monster of the water" films so bought the Italian DVD and rewatched it.

Well...I really liked it! Sure, I can see what people find silly about it, but I let myself buy it and let the film operate within its own world. Clearly it was intended to cash in on Jaws but it is quite different. The big, bitey dolphin is not really the bad guy and this adds a nice element to the story. It seems perfectly well made to me also and has decent performances - despite many internet critics lambasting the FX and Richard Harris's turn. Again, I really liked it.

So...yay, Orca!
Old 18th May 2012, 05:11 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Recent viewings:

VicDakin, Pete, Gojirosan and 3 others like this.
Old 18th May 2012, 05:18 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

What was Hanna D like?
Old 18th May 2012, 05:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched

Snowtown wasnt as grim bleak disturbing as the impressions i got from reading people veiws and opinions of the film.......as a stand alone film it was good but because its a true story not the type of film id realy recomend because most disturbing thing about this is the fact it realy happend..
Old 18th May 2012, 05:31 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
What was Hanna D like?
It was pretty good - it makes no excuses that it is playing off Christiane F.'s notoriety, and although makes bold claims in regards to its sleazy nature, is not actually that graphic or sleazy (it's actually pretty cheesy in places).

It is very well acted by Ann Gisel Glass who plays Hanna, the teenage tease turned junky prostitute. This enhances the film's impact in a lot of ways, and actually makes for a quite moody picture in places, which contrasts the overall sleazy euro-trash vibe resonating throughout the bulk of the film.
Gojirosan likes this.
Old 18th May 2012, 05:33 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Watched

Snowtown wasnt as grim bleak disturbing as the impressions i got from reading people veiws and opinions of the film.......
Really?

Snowtown is probably one of the bleakest films I've ever seen.

Like this? Share it using the links below!