Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179046Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th June 2012, 08:07 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
Apart from the fact that (a) it's a completely different planet, (b) therefore a completely different engineer and (c) clearly a different species of xenomorph/weapon/cleanser/whatever.

Seriously, were you not paying attention? LV223, not 426, and the engineer/space jockey was nowhere near the same size! Also, i'm pretty sure the eggs in Alien wouldn't take 30 years to hatch!
I appologise on all 3 accounts but this doesnt change my opinion what-so-ever.
I was led to believe it was an Alien prequal by Mr Scott himself despite all his question dodging and tongue twisting, and he did not deliver the good's.
Yes, it was enourmasly fun that we got to find the history of the Space Jokey but jog on, I wanted to find out where the Xenomorph's originated.
I'll still go and see any sequal that anyone chuck's out there.

DVD and BD collection
Old 6th June 2012, 10:09 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Even the Strausse Brothers?
Hawkmonger likes this.
Old 6th June 2012, 11:21 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The Woman In Black - 2012 UK/Can/Swe d: James Watkins

Decently directed, glorious production design, beautiful locations...all let down by a script that might as well be "K.Tel Presents Classic Ghost Story Greatest Hits" and a truly abysmal lead performance from an actor lacking the talent and charisma to carry off what is essentially a one man show. Daniel Radcliffe is Hayden Christensen/Chris Hemsworth bad here! A wasted opportunity. Even replacing Radcliffe with a more suitable actor could have been enough to save things.
Old 6th June 2012, 11:36 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
I was led to believe it was an Alien prequal by Mr Scott himself despite all his question dodging and tongue twisting, and he did not deliver the good's.
Yes, it was enourmasly fun that we got to find the history of the Space Jokey but jog on, I wanted to find out where the Xenomorph's originated.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm usually on an Island with my opinions, so feel free to ignore.

I watched this tonight in stunning 2D.

If this isn't a prequel to Alien, I honestly don't know what is. It was clear as day to me. The origin of the Xenomoph - it's all there. It's all in the DNA/reproduction/life cycle/ of the beast in question. It showed you the history of it in high definition and very clearly. (See the final image of the film).

For the record, Ridley Scott told Kermode and Mayo last week that there would be two more movies before it reaches the timeline of the original Alien movie. That's where LV426 will come into play. And plenty more opportunities to show things in more detail.

(BTW for all you nerdish types like me -- there's a clear link between this film and Alien. And possibly only Alien. There's a worn old debate in the dark bowels of the internet that Cameron ruined the life cycle and mystique of the Alien when he brought in the Queen alien in his sequel. I don't agree -- as I love Aliens probably more that Alien -- but I think Ridley's only Canon here is what was in the original.)

Anyway, I'm tired, rambling and probably wrong.

For the record, I thought Prometheus was great. Although the pacing was a little off -- no doubt there will be 40 minutes added to special edition, because character archs seemed to rushed
or left out altogether.

I give it 8/10.
antmumford likes this.
Old 7th June 2012, 03:44 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I just got back from the cinema which was screening The Exorcist as part of a weekly classic film series. At the risk of sounding redundant I'll keep it rather short...It's still such a marvelous film that perfectly balances nuance, gratuity, and atmosphere that it is simply emotionally draining.

Now it's time to go and watch Friedkin's The Guardian.
Old 7th June 2012, 04:41 AM
Cultist

2 Headed Shark Attack (2012)
Old 7th June 2012, 07:34 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Really? All the general people I know seemed to share my "meh, it was aaalright" stance (actually, I liked it a bit less than that) . . .
must just be that the people i know are mental then :P glad im not the only one.

i watched snow white and the huntsman last night and was really impressed, a great version of the tale and the dwarfs were fantastic es[especially ray winstone,.
Old 7th June 2012, 07:39 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
After the aliens vs predator movies and alien ressurection (both dreadful, worthless pieces of trash with no merit) I'm a bit more choosy these days. Certainly I'll avoid anything that even threatens anything as idiotic as the 'predalien'.

Anyhoo back to topic.

Last night I watched..

FURY. Canadian noir crime thriller with Sam jackson. A conman gets released from prison after serving 25 years for murder only to find himself being drawn back in to a life of crime by the son of the man he killed. Features a twist nicked entirely from a certain notorious and brilliant korean movie the film may prove a little to slow for modern audiences but I enjoyed it. Also a great performance from Tom wilkinson as an evil crime boss.

SHAME. I've always found it tough to empathise with people who claim to be sex addicts, maybe because its always been an uphill struggle for me to get some action but people whose main problem is getting far too much sex has never elicited the same sympathy as drug addiction. Shame probably comes as close as anything to reversing that opinion, especially thanks to the brave and billiant central performance from michael fassbender. Its a bleak and harrowing film that manages to suggest a lot about the character while saying very little. More enjoyable than I eexpected.
Old 7th June 2012, 08:29 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Even the Strausse Brothers?
Oh to hell with that!

DVD and BD collection
Old 7th June 2012, 09:24 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Raid. now i've just had the interesting news that my local (haha) cinema of note is showing Quatermass & The Pit (AND Plague of the Zombies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) shortly.

And still this balletic maelstorm kept my mind from wandering to this lovely thought.
Hollywood will be ripping his off for years to come (see remake in pipeline already........)
One of the few films to leave me breathless at the end.

What a week. Mate texts me "Have you heard of a film called Stalker??" "What, the Andrei Tarkovsky sci fi epic that i've raved about for years?" says i. "yes" is his reply......
he has a terrible memory as well it seems (this is the one who still has my Touch Of Death, but can't seem to go to a post office etc)
Civillians......i shit 'em.
fuzzymctiger likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!