Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179432Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2012, 04:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

GHOSTKEEPER - I agree with the standard opinion on this one ie it's plodding but atmospheric. In fact, it's also a model of film making economy in that it does actually manage to extract some value from little more than a couple of oppressive locations, a touch of atmospheric lighting and shots of people wandering around in a house. Of course, there are a couple of pay-off scenes, but not many... still somehow it seems to work on some vaguely hypnotic level. Its lack of back story (just who is that zombie-cannibal fella?), unlikeable characters and arbitrary plot shifts all work in its favour.
BOHACHI BUSHIDO: CODE OF THE FORGOTTEN EIGHT - More sleazy Japanese exploitation, which in this case plays like 'Shogun Assasin' remixed as Pinku, and therefore features gallons of arterial spray against a wall of near constant female nudity. Its moments of madness are even more impressive - the syphilitic face-rot woman's shag cage, a couple of psychedelic battle vistas and a bit where one of the naked fighting chicks apparently leaves a burns victim to find a doctor, only to be discovered later raping and torturing an anglo-style nun in a scene which makes no narrative sense whatsoever and leaves the sensible viewer groping for the cultural relativism cliche. I'm not sensible however, and just kind of quite liked it.
bdc likes this.
Old 15th July 2012, 06:44 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Random splurge from London

Hawkmonger likes this.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 15th July 2012, 06:47 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
GHOSTKEEPER - I agree with the standard opinion on this one ie it's plodding but atmospheric. In fact, it's also a model of film making economy in that it does actually manage to extract some value from little more than a couple of oppressive locations, a touch of atmospheric lighting and shots of people wandering around in a house. Of course, there are a couple of pay-off scenes, but not many... still somehow it seems to work on some vaguely hypnotic level. Its lack of back story (just who is that zombie-cannibal fella?), unlikeable characters and arbitrary plot shifts all work in its favour.
BOHACHI BUSHIDO: CODE OF THE FORGOTTEN EIGHT - More sleazy Japanese exploitation, which in this case plays like 'Shogun Assasin' remixed as Pinku, and therefore features gallons of arterial spray against a wall of near constant female nudity. Its moments of madness are even more impressive - the syphilitic face-rot woman's shag cage, a couple of psychedelic battle vistas and a bit where one of the naked fighting chicks apparently leaves a burns victim to find a doctor, only to be discovered later raping and torturing an anglo-style nun in a scene which makes no narrative sense whatsoever and leaves the sensible viewer groping for the cultural relativism cliche. I'm not sensible however, and just kind of quite liked it.

The "zombie-cannibal fella" is actually a human possessed by a Wendigo imho.

Wendigo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 15th July 2012, 06:54 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Humains (2009)

A team of researchers travel to the Swiss Alps to investigate a scientific discovery on human evolution. Unfortunately the trip soon turns into a deadly fight for survival when their vehicle crashes into a gully and they find themselves in a fight to the death.

I really enjoyed this French Swiss co-production. The location photography was just gorgeous, a stunning advert for the Alps.

The plot and dialogue kept the film rolling along nicely during the first two acts as we get to know the characters. (Thankfully the film wasn't populated by dim witted teens who argue constantly). The neolithic men were well realised and not hidden in the dark as some films tend to do with their creatures.

The film wasn't especially violent, nor did it need to be, but it had a nice about turn in the final twenty minutes.

An enjoyable film and recommended for those who like their outdoors survival horrors or Bigfoot style films.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg humains_sales01.jpg (23.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00007.jpg (51.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00018.jpg (40.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00023.jpg (52.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00036.jpg (27.4 KB, 3 views)
VicDakin and Gojirosan like this.
Old 15th July 2012, 07:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
The "zombie-cannibal fella" is actually a human possessed by a Wendigo imho.

Wendigo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Or 'Windigo', according to the producers / whoever did the credits...
I'm quite up on Wendigos, after all they provide the the namesake of my industrial primitive concrete / tape manipulation / haunted pop band - any underground 'noise' labels watching who are sick of 'Wire' magazine telling them what to listen to ,please release my record and make me famous (in a strictly ten listeners tops kind of way).
Old 15th July 2012, 07:40 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992)

The nineties were a bad period for US horror (with a few exceptions) and this shows exactly what was wrong...

A great cast is basically wasted in this underwhelming "horror comedy" (aimed at teenage girls I think?) with minimal blood and the most inoffensive and clueless vampires I've seen in a while (they're not even scary).

Apparently it got a mixed reception and was only moderately successful,luckily the tv series that followed was better.
I've read there's to be a remake...maybe not a bad idea as there's much room for improvement here.
SharonLynette likes this.
Old 15th July 2012, 07:45 PM
Cult Master

I watched the Korean film 'Chaw' this afternoon

Highly enjoyable, but I thought it was basically 'Jaws' revamped with a piggy instead of a shark

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 15th July 2012, 07:53 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
I watched the Korean film 'Chaw' this afternoon

Highly enjoyable, but I thought it was basically 'Jaws' revamped with a piggy instead of a shark
Old 15th July 2012, 08:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Airplane! (1980)

Airplane! (1980)

Lady: Nervous?
Ted Striker: Yes.
Lady: First time?
Ted Striker: No, I've been nervous lots of times.

Old 15th July 2012, 08:15 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Or 'Windigo', according to the producers / whoever did the credits...
And lots of other sources. A very common alternative spelling. I've seen that spelling at least as often as "wendigo".

Like this? Share it using the links below!