Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th September 2012, 05:32 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Dans Ma Peau (In my Skin) 2004

A woman who falls and suffers deep gashes in her leg becomes obsessed with her body leading to extreme forms of self harming.

Dans Ma Peau is a beautiful yet extremely harrowing journey of a womans psychosis. Its difficult for me to judge on self harming as it isn't something i've ever done nor known anyone who's done it. The fact she has a stable relationship with her boyfriend, indeed they are house hunting, been promoted at work and is welcome at the most upmarket parties in town suggests it is all in her own head and not caused by day to day life.

The film is shocking and not for the squeemish, wounds are examined and picked at in close up and the film almost strays into cannibalism as she starts to eat her own flesh, eventually attempting to preserve some for all time. Its through these scenes that the idea of self harm disolves and an idea of addiction springs to mind. An addiction where one woman attempts to consume her own body. In one restaurant scene Esther becomes so disengaged with her surroundings she begins picking at her arm with a fork, later going to the chemist to find out about the best way of preserving her own chewed at flesh.

The film borders on the absurd in a way as the director Marina De Vans, who incidently is also the star, pushes everything to the extreme, almost hoping to overstep the audiences boundaries. These almost surreal steps seem to be there to provoke an audience reaction, yet for all this Dans Ma Peau remains a thing of beauty, just not as we know it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dans.jpg (75.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 7th September 2012, 07:38 PM
Active Cultist

Saw a great film today, Sidney Lumet's The Offence starring Sean Connery as a screwed up sergeant on the hunt for a child molester. This is like a cop movie meets a horror movie, there's a really intense atmosphere, the locations nail the bizarre ugliness of new town seventies England, Connery is fantastic - as Sick Boy might say 'a muscular actor' - there's a weird Taxi Driver vibe about the jazz/synth soundtrack and off kilter direction and some of the flashback insights into the main characters degenerating psyche really gave me the chills. The nearest modern equivalent I can think of is Sean Penn's The Pledge - another great film about an obsessive lawman - but this has a disturbing, no-messing about 70s vibe all of its own. Bizarrely Peter Bowles - the Cad, or was it The Bounder? - plays Connery's boss! and does a good job I hasten to add. This played like the best Flipside ever, except it was a major movie - great days!
Old 7th September 2012, 09:55 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
You know, I've only seen this once, years ago on the telly box so I'm tempted to pick up the new set that's due next month, £25 from Sainsburys bargain hunters
I only just picked it up on Blu Ray but i think i will get the new set as well it looks really cool. It will be my first time double dipping a Blu Ray for Blu Ray
Old 7th September 2012, 10:50 PM
Cult Master

download.jpg

I love this film its just a good ol' time watching this. The Blu Ray cleans up this film really well too i think it looks great.
Old 7th September 2012, 10:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 78630

I love this film its just a good ol' time watching this. The Blu Ray cleans up this film really well too i think it looks great.
I never get tired of watching all three films, Groovy!
Daemonia and Nordicdusk like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 7th September 2012, 11:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Went pictures to see ted ,
Not surprised people don't go pics much almost £8 think that's scandalous considering its for one person to see the film once when you can buy a lot of DVDs new for a few quid more and there to keep, even blurays now are cheers as hell, a £5 more practical and would prob get more people going more often,

Anyhow rant over,

The film wasn't as funny as expecting it had a few chuckle moments but nowt special,

Motel hell, I've heard so much about this and never got round to watching until tonight, I thought it was a terrible film,
mercury likes this.
Old 7th September 2012, 11:26 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I never get tired of watching all three films, Groovy!
DAM RIGHT
Tomorrows first film is already lined up for when i get out of bed.

images.jpg
Rik likes this.
Old 7th September 2012, 11:30 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Went pictures to see ted ,
Not surprised people don't go pics much almost £8 think that's scandalous considering its for one person to see the film once when you can buy a lot of DVDs new for a few quid more and there to keep, even blurays now are cheers as hell, a £5 more practical and would prob get more people going more often,

Anyhow rant over,

The film wasn't as funny as expecting it had a few chuckle moments but nowt special,

Motel hell, I've heard so much about this and never got round to watching until tonight, I thought it was a terrible film,

Im my local cinema its €15 for a ticket. Hence i only go when its something i really need to see. The last film i seen was Dark Knight Rises in the cinema worth forking out the money for the cinema experience for a film like that.
Old 7th September 2012, 11:37 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
DAM RIGHT
Tomorrows first film is already lined up for when i get out of bed.

Attachment 78632
er...don't you have a wash/shower and have breakfast first?
Old 7th September 2012, 11:38 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Dredd - Put simply, it was awesome. A faithful and gleefully violent adaptation that for fans should be a real treat.
Hawkmonger likes this.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)

Like this? Share it using the links below!