Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:58 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Continuing my adventures in the mainstream world of ghosts and demons I watched PARANORMAL ACTIVITY today. Basically a woman and a man are terrorised by a bedroom door which opens and closes itself for 80 minutes.

I really liked this for it's post BLAIR WITCH minimalism: one video camera and an irritating as f*ck couple. It's a really, really slow burn of a film and could be seen as boring but I enjoyed the couple bickering for hours before the final jump fright ending which scared the living shit out of me.
VicDakin, Rik and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Continuing my adventures in the mainstream world of ghosts and demons I watched PARANORMAL ACTIVITY today. Basically a woman and a man are terrorised by a bedroom door which opens and closes itself for 80 minutes.

I really liked this for it's post BLAIR WITCH minimalism: one video camera and an irritating as f*ck couple. It's a really, really slow burn of a film and could be seen as boring but I enjoyed the couple bickering for hours before the final jump fright ending which scared the living shit out of me.
All 3 are guilty pleasures of mine, some of my friends say they're the scariest films ever made
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:01 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
All 3 are guilty pleasures of mine, some of my friends say they're the scariest films ever made
Are the sequels more of the same?
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Are the sequels more of the same?
Kind of, 2 is set just before 1 and gives you some idea of the reasons for the events of that film and 3 is set when Katie and her sister are kids. Part 4 is due out soon, which I believe is a webcast type setting i.e run out of ideas
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Recent viewings:

What was Cashback like?
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just finished watching Stir of Echoes, been awhile since I saw it so I'd forgot how much I enjoyed it, absolute bargain for 75p. I'm sure most people have seen it, but if you haven't then I recommend it
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Well Monday was all hospital and doctors, yesterday was just blah and this morning/afternoon was spent baking but have finally just watched The Damned (1963) and am now watching The Shame of Patty Smith (1962), I need to pick up the pace as my holiday will be over before I know it!
bdc and Handyman Joe like this.
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:06 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Maniac Cop - always enjoyable

When a Stranger Calls (1979) - haven't seen this in years and still really enjoyed it. It does drag slightly after the first tense 15 minutes but it's forgivable since it does interesting shifts in perspective from the killer to the P.I and back to the babysitter again which i find quite novel for a film like this. A damn sight better than the lacklustre remake which basically just stretches the original's first 15 minutes to tedious breaking point.
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:52 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Last few films watched...

DAWN OF THE DEAD (Directors Cut) (1979)
No matter how many times i watch it, i always get enjoyment out of it. It's one of those films that maintains it's awesomeness and re-watch-ability.

ARMY OF DARKNESS
Rewatched this fun as **** horror comedy, the third in the Evil dead trilogy and even though it's not even on the same level of ED1 or ED2, this is still top entertainment with some great KNB creatures and a great Bruce Campbell performance

PIRATES IN AN ADVENTURE WITH SCIENTISTS
really good animation and some funny moments but not enough to make this special. Needed more laughs and is not on the same level as Wallace and Gromit.

COOGAN'S BLUFF
Really good action comedy from Don Siegel and Clint Eastwood with a great motor bike chase and bar room punch up, not as gritty as Dirty Harry but a whole lot of fun.

SCORPIO
Gritty, well made espionage thriller with Burt Lancaster and Alain Delon. Definitely a solid film in this genre. Say what you want about Michael Winner but he made some awesome films in the 70s.

PENTATHLON
not the best Dolph Lundgren film ever made, an uneasy mix of inspirational sports drama and DTV action film however David Soul is great as the evil nazi villain. Anchor Bay's blu looks pretty good though

BLUE STEEL
very good police/stalker/psycho thriller from Katharine Bigalow, with a great central performances form Jamie Lee Curtis and a sinister twisted performance from the late Ron Silver.

WE ARE THE NIGHT
Pretty good German vamp film that unfortunately doesn't live up to it's potential. Could have been better but still a lot of fun. Sexy ladies and gore.

SHAUN OF THE DEAD
just as funny on the 12th time as it was the first time. I know somerpeople really dislike Simon Pegg but this and Hot Fuzz are both brilliant movies...

RESIDENT EVIL: RETRIBUTION
While some well known characters from the game are well underused, this 5th instalment in the Resident Evil franchise is a hell of a lot of fun, it's a marked improvement over Afterlife and i'm eager to see where the franchise is going next. I'll keep watching them if Anderson keeps making them..

PROMETHEUS
While it is a beautifully crafted film with some fantastic nods to the Alien Series and an ending that would in a way tie in to the evolution of the Xenomorph, Prometheus seemed to be missing something in the middle of the film, possibly 15-20 minutes of more back story on The Engineers and more on why we were created by them, it really seemed to be just a very long trailer for the eventual sequel. This what happens when you allow Damon Lindloff to write a screenplay, all questions and no answers, it's like LOST all over again. However, it is still a terrific science fiction film but one that could have had something a little extra.
Old 4th October 2012, 07:25 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Could you send me a list of HK films you already watched and I'll try to recommend you a couple.
Most of the HK films I've seen have mainly been Shaw Bros. stuff, so anything non-Shaw is probably going to be something I haven't seen!
bdc likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!